Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 17, 2008 1:13 PM

Apr 2007
Just watched the first episode... Besides the 2frame looping in a few scenes, the music that is irregular something and the totally black action scenes I'm dropping the anime and going to read the manga...

Was surpised to see that gonzo didnt do this.. they usually butcher the manga all the way even if the manga is like 2000x better than the crap they put in.

Edit: Just found on google 1st chapter that covered the first anime episode. The story is almost the same but comparing anime and manga now is like comparing a B action movie with the MATRIX in 1999.

Anime adaptation changed the important bits that made the story imho so I'll be sticking with the manga.
ZeroKewlJul 17, 2008 1:56 PM
Jul 17, 2008 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
Xyik said:
Wow ok, I was expecting this to be a little better ...

Interesting premise and all, but I just feel like it was delivered in a horrible way. There was too much jumping around and it was done imo, awkwardly. It felt like too many things happened too fast. I also kind of disliked how dark all the scenes were. The bgm was also inappropriately used at parts too and kind of disrupted the mood for me.. Is the studio really this bad or ...? I don't know what to say. I feel like the story and everything has great potential but the delivery was just horrible.

No, I wish people would stop blaming BEE TRAIN (especially considering Production I.G. also worked on this). Entertainment is always a hit and miss industry. People were already jumping all over BEE TRAIN before it came out, now that it came out, many are reveling in their pre-conceived hatred. Frankly when you set your mind to something you are going to likely execute it in the end. People who went in expecting this to be bad and wanted it to be bad well they'll see it as bad no matter what.

I would agree that the script writing is poor, confusing, disjointed and Mashimo's direction is mediocer in comparison to his other works. The score I think is fair but sometimes it's not good at all. That vocalist sounds like a screeching cat! As a fan of BEE TRAIN I'm disappointed, as someone who hasn't read the manga can't say it's a splendid adaption (considering it feels as though it's made for those who have read it). I think darkness is overused but frankly I've seen others do that too.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jul 17, 2008 6:44 PM

Jul 2007
Wow they fucked up the manga big time with this show.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jul 17, 2008 10:05 PM

Mar 2008
This is worse than I expected. I can sum up this show with 4 words.

"Just read the manga"
Jul 20, 2008 3:08 PM

Jan 2008
Why...are there skyscrapers in the OP?

Why is the soundtrack so awful? (seriously Ko Otani, wtf?)

Why would anyone be surprised that this was the outcome of Bee Train and Koichi Mashimo?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 20, 2008 4:12 PM

Apr 2007
Well the whole thing seemed kind of stupid to me and I don't like how everything is so dark. It probably 'suits' the series, but I find it annoying :/

Of course I will still read the manga when I feel like it especially after all these comments. In the end, Bee Train is still Bee train.
Jul 20, 2008 10:38 PM

Mar 2008
And Production I.G is still Production I.G
Jul 21, 2008 1:51 AM

Jan 2008
ShadowAlex said:

I doubt both companies split the work 50/50. Bee Train is obviously in the forefront here. There's no way I.G would be responsible for this:

"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 21, 2008 2:01 AM

Jun 2007
First episode's pacing is shot. They tipped their hand too early.

Seriously, Kagimura Habaki? In before the first commercial break of the first episode? That is insane.

Only 13 episodes. Somebody is in a hurry.
Jul 22, 2008 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
Well... I've never read the Manga so I don't know if this was a good start or not.... but I love the bloodiness ^__^

Sig WILL change soon~
Jul 24, 2008 8:38 PM

May 2008
ShadowAlex said:

The only production I.G. people on this are probably two interns and a "producer"

All the listed staff are Bee Train people.
Jul 25, 2008 2:56 AM

Mar 2008
What the hell is this? An immortal samurai and his retarded sister? For real?
Jul 25, 2008 2:29 PM

Jul 2007
Sheepdude said:
What the hell is this? An immortal samurai and his retarded sister? For real?

She isn't retarded. Did you even watch it? She was emotionally and mentally broken. She witnessed her dear brother killing her beloved husband in the most brutal of fashions.

Anyways i've read up to volume 3 at least when i worked at Borders Bookstore and really wanted to read more but they were missing a few volumes..the manga is badass and i am looking forward to seeing what ive already read and what i havent read happen in the anime. I wonder why only 13 episodes though..thats so short for the amount of volumes out. I hope this is only a first season and if it fairs well a second season maybe..

Jul 26, 2008 4:58 AM

Mar 2008
StarlitRiot said:
She isn't retarded. Did you even watch it? She was emotionally and mentally broken. She witnessed her dear brother killing her beloved husband in the most brutal of fashions.

Eh, I did watch it, but I completely missed that part apparently. Actually, I had no idea what was going on. So.
Jul 26, 2008 2:21 PM

Dec 2007
The music is bad but it will be a good show.
Jul 26, 2008 4:50 PM

Jul 2007
Hmmm you know, I think the fact that no group is interested in subbing the anime speaks of it's utter lack of quality heh. You'd think a little more groups would show interest in a bloody mature samurai story but considering what they did with it, well, can't blame anybody for not wanting to even bother. (No use to mention the one group who did release ep1 because the trans was so bad that it's best to ignore it all together.) Still, I am a little surprised nonetheless.
Jul 26, 2008 7:09 PM

Aug 2007
i liked it :D
well, i never read the manga. i've had a copy of the manga for a while now but i never got around to reading it. now that this is out, i guess i should finish the anime first before i start reading hehe
Jul 27, 2008 12:57 PM
Dec 2007
I don't understand why everyone hates this show, it has awesome art and fantastic direction (on par or maybe better than Kara no Kyoukai, it would almost feel like an OVA more than a series if the animation was any good) and the music just meshes really well with action. And I personnally find the voice acting great. I know this first episode is far from perfect but still, it's above-average at least, and even pretty good...

Then again, I think it's Bee Train and Koichi Mashimo hate as usual (he's a great director though, he did Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Noir, .hack//SIGN and Tsubasa Chronicles 1st season for example). And even if the script and characters are very different from the manga, I don't compare them anymore since they're a different medium with different audiences and limitations, so it's totally pointless to do so.

Oh and the fact that the fansubbers that did the first ep are very bad doesn't help the show to get recognition I bet... I for one would like to see more of this, it's a very unusual show but just for Mashimo's direction I think I would gladly follow it.

Note : I don't read the manga even though it's considered a cult one because it somewhat never interested me (I read the first chapters maybe ten years ago or so when it was first published in France and it didn't really catch my attention).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 27, 2008 4:32 PM

Mar 2008
SlipperSleaze said:
ShadowAlex said:

The only production I.G. people on this are probably two interns and a "producer"

All the listed staff are Bee Train people.

If that were the case IG wouldn't have it's logo slapped on it. Sounds like a bit of a double standard the way you implicate BEE TRAIN but blissfully ignore I.G. I don't even know how you know consider all credits aren't translated. I also saw M.S.C. there so there you go, quite a few likely worked on this. The only one here who speaks the truth besides me is Jacut
Jul 27, 2008 4:34 PM

Mar 2008
Cihan said:
ShadowAlex said:

I doubt both companies split the work 50/50. Bee Train is obviously in the forefront here. There's no way I.G would be responsible for this:

Yeah I've got bad news for you, BEE TRAIN isn't the only company to cut corners.
Jul 27, 2008 4:38 PM

Jan 2008
Your 'Production I.G is still Production I.G' quote still makes no sense.
Jul 27, 2008 4:41 PM

Mar 2008
Well neither does your BEE TRAIN quote. That's the whole idea of me saying that it's nonsense and pointless and you spouting off anime politics. My point is I.G is always so well regarded and well they have their logo on this as well. So blame all around.
Jul 27, 2008 4:58 PM

Jan 2008
Why are we focusing on Bee Train? Because they're at the forefront of this adaptation, they're making the big calls. BotI isnt even listed on I.G's page. I.G. are giving a helping hand, it would not be fair to say BotI is being split evenly between the two. Hell, the only reason I.G are probably being named at all, even though their work is minimal, is because Bee Train was a division of I.G., and it just makes the anime look better by having the I.G. brand on the product.

I'm not a rabid I.G. fanboy, I know their work isnt perfect. Reideen is a good example.

Its all moot anyway, the director should be getting most of the flak for steering this mess into the gutter.
Jul 27, 2008 11:11 PM

Jun 2007
Jacut said:
Then again, I think it's Bee Train and Koichi Mashimo hate as usual

I have no idea who Koichi Mashimo is or why I should hate Bee Train "As usual" since I've never heard of them outside of this project.

However, distilling Blade of the Immortal down into 13 episodes? Impossible. The first five volumes alone would fit seven or eight episodes, varying on the pacing. No studio could deliver a satisfactory adaption of Samura's work in only 13 episodes, sloppy execution of the first episode aside.
BadSeafoodJul 28, 2008 10:28 PM
Jul 28, 2008 6:05 PM
Oct 2007
I liked it!
Jul 29, 2008 10:09 AM
May 2008
well, not that i read the manga, but i think a manga that has been going on for, like, 14 years is impossible to have a complete adaptation in 13 episodes. not that something like 51 would be enough either. it's pretty much like the berserk's situation. just hope that anime will be good enough to inspire people to read manga (well, I am inteded to read the manga after i read your comments about how the series butchered the manga) anyway, it is not THAT bad if you don't know the manga
Oct 3, 2008 12:03 PM

Feb 2008
Haven't read the manga, but i honestly expected something better, i hope that it'll get improved...

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oct 3, 2008 4:32 PM

Jun 2008
it was fine
Oct 20, 2008 12:59 PM

May 2008
Jacut said:

Then again, I think it's Bee Train and Koichi Mashimo hate as usual

This is so retarded and nonsensical that it's not even funny ( hey at least ShadowAlex's rabid bee train fanboyism was midly entertaining! )

Have you completely missed the posts where people pointed out their problems with the actual show? People have stated why they don't like this show and WHY they don't like Bee Train. There are also people who don't know a thing about Bee Train or this director and found the show to be utterly mediocre/awful.

Just because you think the show is fine or even above average and other people don't agree doesn't mean everyone else must be "hating on Bee Train and xx director." The only one throwing baseless statements around here is you, not the "bee train haters."

Not everyone sees things with those rose colored glasses you seem so fond of.
alarmedOct 30, 2008 2:22 PM
Nov 28, 2008 7:54 AM

May 2008
I thought this was an awesome episode. Definitely going to watch more.
Jan 22, 2009 5:52 PM
Mar 2008
This is a great show!! F***-ed up to ppl who always compare manga and its anime adaptation. Do not compare apple and a cow.
Jan 22, 2009 7:28 PM

Jan 2008
leoneri said:
This is a great show!! F***-ed up to ppl who always compare manga and its anime adaptation. Do not compare apple and a cow.

Yes let us not compare the REASON FOR ITS EXISTENCE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Mar 15, 2009 10:58 PM

Jan 2009
Well I don't read the manga, but I liked the episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2009 5:59 PM

Oct 2008
HORSE SHIT!? is fucking retarded! lol

i didnt read the manga but i like it
Jan 11, 2010 10:02 PM

Apr 2009
It seems a lot of people didn't like this episode. I know nothing of the story to begin with, but I thought it was pretty cool. I have no idea what's going on, but the fighting was sweet.
Jun 29, 2010 1:22 AM

Apr 2008
okay... so I watched this trying not to compare it with the manga, but still... WHAT THE F**K?

o.O

Jul 20, 2010 4:14 PM

Mar 2010
I'm glad that sister died, how annoying can you be running around like that.

I don't know if it was just the sub i watched, but everytime i expected fights, there was just a picture with music, if thats how it is then thats shit.

I want some of those worms.
HelloHelloHello
Jul 26, 2012 3:44 PM

Nov 2011
Reminds me of Samurai Champloo but a little more violent..also goal to kill 1000 villains?

I approve.
Jun 7, 2013 10:30 AM

Dec 2008
...Wow. That...That was so bad.
He wasn't even saddened about his sister. Just acted like it was perfectly normal. Fuck that was bad. Don't even want to continue.
Feb 5, 2014 12:37 PM

Sep 2013
This show seems pretty interesting with Manji being immortal, i'll keeps watching.
Oct 11, 2015 6:17 AM

Apr 2014
Seems interesting enough so far but not as good as expected.
Mar 31, 2017 3:13 AM

Feb 2013
Wow this was horrible! It's pretty rare for me to drop an anime, especially after only one episode, but I just can't bring myself to watch anymore of this garbage lol.
Apr 2, 2017 2:08 AM

Mar 2012
op reminded me of shiina ringo and i kinda like it.

but the anime... i almost cried when i saw they had an adaptation of this. blade of the immortal is one of my favourite mangas ever since i was in highschool!
the music and animation quality gives me the feels of a 20-year-old anime and well, this was rushed and all over the place.
i love manji to pieces. i really want to see anotsu animated but i guess i'm gonna keep my expectations low so i don't get too disappointed.
fukumenkeiApr 12, 2017 7:54 PM
Apr 7, 2018 12:22 PM

May 2013
No idea what was going on, but this sums it up

Nov 9, 2019 6:26 PM

Apr 2013
I am not going to question why there is a
but the atmosphere and art is something I like.
Oct 1, 2022 12:37 PM

Mar 2010
Well yikes, it starts off with MC just killing people. Poor insane sister...
Oct 22, 2022 2:43 PM

Nov 2013
You know the designed fighting style is bullshit when the anime doesn't even bother to really directly showing, instead cutting offscreen before the blades hit.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 15, 8:43 PM
Jul 2023
Damn, this is hot garbage
- I do like Manji, although an edge lord with immortality is so overused
- I hate the fighting. They just cut away whenever the swords are about to hit
- What even happened to his sister? It didn’t even look like she got hit
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

19 by Apreggi »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Dec 8, 2008

14 by Apreggi »»
Today, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 7 Discussion

Jacut - Oct 20, 2008

15 by Apreggi »»
Today, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 6 Discussion

Mercurio - Oct 5, 2008

15 by Apreggi »»
Today, 6:37 AM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 8, 2008

14 by Apreggi »»
Today, 6:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.