Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2008 2:08 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow what a train wreck of an episode.

This was expected, not worth going into detail.Bee train will be Bee train

They couldn't even get some decent animation talent on this.It's horrible.I wonder why Samura agreed to this, bee train of all studios.
alarmedJul 14, 2008 2:37 AM
Jul 14, 2008 3:18 AM

Jan 2008
Well, I'm still waiting for the subs to come out. When you said Bee Train, that got my attention because they did Metabots and .hack// and stuff so i checked out the raw with little understanding of what happened and just looked at the pictures. Well, It's not that bad...
Jul 14, 2008 5:40 AM

Mar 2008
I could make a list of things they did wrong, but I'll spare you. I also want to note I have nothing against Bee Train. I liked two shows they did, at least.

I watched the raw, but I understood at least half of what they were saying with my knowledge of moonspeak and the first volume of the manga in front of me as a reference... now, if you'll excuse my language: they not only fucked the series, but they fucked it in the asshole with barely any consent, then wagged their dick around and pissed in the same hole they came in.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Jul 14, 2008 6:41 AM

May 2008
I also want to note I have nothing against Bee Train.I liked two shows they did, at least.

I'm a .hack and as you may or may not know, they've done all the anime adaptations of the franchise.

They've gone from making classics(//sign, and it's spin offs) to average entries(//legend of twilight, //Liminality) and the downright awful(//roots) it's not like I'm set out against anything bee train, I'm just very familiar with the studio and know what they are capable of.

They were certainly the very last studio I had in mind when it came to a BoTI adaptation.Indeed they butchered it very badly, this probably won't be as bad to people that have yet to read the original classic, but that's about it.

that aside..

ShiChelle said:

I watched the raw, but I understood at least half of what they were saying with my knowledge of moonspeak and the first volume of the manga in front of me as a reference... now, if you'll excuse my language: they not only fucked the series, but they fucked it in the asshole with barely any consent, then wagged their dick around and pissed in the same hole they came in.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

pretty much.
alarmedJul 14, 2008 6:45 AM
Jul 14, 2008 7:31 AM

Mar 2008
Wait, I found an even better way to sum up my opinion:

Jul 14, 2008 10:23 AM
May 2008
Anyone know if any subbers picked up the series yet? I can't find anything. :(
Jul 14, 2008 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
One word: GORE GALORE! Other than that heavy ecchi stuff for sure but good action and story. Good art too!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Jul 14, 2008 12:15 PM

Jul 2008
helgarr said:

We all have a saying: patience rewards. try this too: h**p://fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_FALL_2008
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Jul 14, 2008 2:59 PM

Jul 2007
While the animation is less disappointing then I was expecting for Bee Train, Manji is more than a huge mess. They completely changed his personality and that's one thing I loved the most about him. Since when is Manji all cool and relaxed, cold even? No way. He's an arrogant smart ass, always smirking at everything, not to mention incredibly funny. I don't see this whatsoever in the anime so far and THAT is very disappointing (the priest scene was totally butchered and the humor was taken out). I just can't believe Manji joined the drama queen emo samurai bandwagon, that's so ridiculously not him.
Not to mention, what's with the empty eye socket? Ew, Manji still has his bad eye ¬_¬ They did change a few scenes around from the manga too. Do I even need to mention how not fitting the seiyuu voicing him is? But well I guess it's not like I was actually expecting it to be good so.........And what exactly are they planning to accomplish in 13 episodes? That's a laugh.
ShinJul 15, 2008 10:00 AM
Jul 14, 2008 3:22 PM

Jan 2008
Whaaat? They mess up from the first chapter onwards!? Is this going to be another Planetes for me then? >_<

13 episodes!?

Whaaat?

*sighs*

This is what I get for letting people around here make me give this anime a chance.

Will still have to watch it myself though, but the comments in this thread have been...sad. :(
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 14, 2008 5:36 PM

May 2008
angel999 said:
One word: GORE GALORE! Other than that heavy ecchi stuff for sure but good action and story. Good art too!

You think this is gore galore? you haven't read the manga have you? This is *nothing* in terms of gore(everything else too!)
Jul 14, 2008 6:21 PM

Jun 2008
Not the greatest start, but again what are 13 episodes going to do? What's with Hyakurin and Kagimura appearing in the first episode? Just follow the manga.
Jul 15, 2008 5:21 AM

Mar 2008
angel999 said:
helgarr said:

We all have a saying: patience rewards. try this too: h**p://fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_FALL_2008

I think you mean http://fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_SUMMER_2008 , and from that, Live-eviL is planning to do it apparently.

Shin said:
Manji is more than a huge mess. They completely changed his personality and that's one thing I loved the most about him. Since when is Manji all cool and relaxed, cold even? No way. He's an arrogant smart ass, always smirking at everything, not to mention incredibly funny. I don't see this whatsoever in the anime so far and THAT is very disappointing (the priest scene was totally butchered and the humor was taken out). I just can't believe Manji joined the drama queen emo samurai bandwagon, that's so ridiculously not him.
Not to mention, what's with the empty eye socket? Ew, Manji still have his bad eye ¬_¬

Better than I could've said it. I was myself noticing his unfitting seiyuu and how he looked a bit younger than he should have. (I mean, Seki Tomokazu did pretty well in his other roles, but he can't do a rough, older guy like Manji well.)

If nothing, the show may attract a couple people to pick up the manga...I hope. :/
ShiChelleJul 15, 2008 5:28 AM
Jul 15, 2008 9:50 PM
Jul 2008
SlipperSleaze said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

can I post about subs?

This groups translation needs work. Editing... is there any? Typesetting is as if tho they just went with random styles, whatever is visible works, eh? Karaoke translation, same deal as the dialogue... needs alot of work. Karaoke Effects... really basic, would've been fine with them had the styling not been so horrid. Fansubber credits... if you're gonna bother putting your name on a video, please at least make them blend in :( And why release "h"d upscales of this series when you don't bother to properly filter the raw and make an at least decent encode :/

Supposedly they have a good editorial staff (iriseyes from BSS) but I'm feeling that this script is illegible...

Sorry, just being honest. But I would rather wait for a slow group... and I mean a.f.k./dead group slow... to sub this series rather then watching AEN-Kesenai's release.

--

Sorry, I would comment on the anime episode... but I've not yet been able to watch it considering AEN-Kasenai's release was so horrid. And sadly, I'm not exaggerating either...
Jul 15, 2008 11:07 PM

Jan 2008
Well, the subs are released. I'm uploading to veoh as we speak, but today, my veoh seems to be like 40x slower than usual. a upload usually takes like a min at most with VeohTV, but now, it's taking an hour or two. I'll have a subbed version up and running in about 20 mins.
Jul 15, 2008 11:16 PM

Jun 2007
Wow this was disappointing. Where was all the bloody killing scenes? They showed like 2 and I don't even think you could consider them that bloody.

The show, however, was not as shitty as I was expecting. It's actually watchable which is good. I just hope they don't over do it with original content thats not in the manga.
Jul 15, 2008 11:44 PM

Jan 2008
I was okay with it. It certainly wasn't as good as the manga, but I was prepared for that, and with that in mind I rather enjoyed it.
Jul 15, 2008 11:49 PM

Apr 2007
Makie's fighting scene on the OP was the best part of it.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jul 16, 2008 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
Well I guess we can just bitch slap all those people who were telling us not to make early judgments about the show.

THANKS GUYS.
Jul 16, 2008 12:37 AM

May 2008

Yeah, that about sums it up
Jul 16, 2008 1:11 AM

Sep 2007
tolkki said:

That sums up most of the summer releases imo. I don't know why I'm even surprised anymore.
Jul 16, 2008 2:03 AM

Jan 2008
Horse poo~ Not even adding this to my list for the time being. If ep2 is as bad as this one then I'm definitely dropping it.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jul 16, 2008 2:23 AM

Jan 2008
For a person who didnt read the original manga, i liked this episode, of course it has some flaws and the pace seems inconsistent, but while watchin i realised that i felt sorry for Machi, and kinda liked Manji even though he has some changes from the original work... if u consider this anime as an original work, and have no opinion about the manga, its not as bad as horse shit as some of you claimed, but if i had read the manga, i admit that i would most probably be on your side, and i know how it feels when something you adore gets turned into something which even can be called by yourself as a piece of crap... anywaysss, as i said, i liked the first ep and will watch the rest for sure ^^
Jul 16, 2008 3:26 AM

Jun 2007
Goku said:
For a person who didnt read the original manga, i liked this episode, of course it has some flaws and the pace seems inconsistent, but while watchin i realised that i felt sorry for Machi, and kinda liked Manji even though he has some changes from the original work... if u consider this anime as an original work, and have no opinion about the manga, its not as bad as horse shit as some of you claimed, but if i had read the manga, i admit that i would most probably be on your side, and i know how it feels when something you adore gets turned into something which even can be called by yourself as a piece of crap... anywaysss, as i said, i liked the first ep and will watch the rest for sure ^^

I have to agree with you but in honesty this show really isn't all that good. Sure, it was expected they where gonna change some things around and also some of the characters personality's. But the animated fight scenes are just pure crap. I wouldn't have cared if they decided not to follow the manga as long as the fight scenes where good. But they're not, there crap. We see darkness and some super fast blade shots and the fight is over :(. The manga has amazing bloody and gruesome fight scenes. If they don't at least follow that trend in future episodes I'll be sad.
Jul 16, 2008 6:29 AM

Jan 2007
I haven't read the manga...but I didn't really care for this. What's here to set it apart from every other samurai-on-a-mission series? Nothing. It's not a compelling story and it's not that nice to look at, either. Average all around.

I imagine the manga is better. It could hardly be worse.
Jul 16, 2008 7:16 AM

Mar 2008
Not too sure what to think of the first episode. The BGM was kind of annoying :/. Wasn't the worst anime I have seen.
Jul 16, 2008 7:29 AM

Jul 2008
Just watched the subbed version. Really good subs! Yeah sad story with Machi. So let me get this straight: NO MATTER WHAT HE DOES HE WILL NEVER DIE? What happens if you burn his head or melt his body????
Jul 16, 2008 8:07 AM

Dec 2007
Even independent from reading the manga, I thought this episode was "just okay". Though, I still plan on checking the manga out eventually.
Jul 16, 2008 8:21 AM

Apr 2008
Sooo... you're saying this was horrible and that the manga is so much better. Convince me! I haven't read it but I think I will, it looks interesting enough. So, of course I don't know about any changes made in the adaptation. (Though I agree that changing the protagonist's personality is pretty bad, if it's really been changed as much as you all make it sound...) What else?
(Some of) you said "I could make lists but I'll spare you", but is that true or are you afraid you'll run out of arguments after two items on your list? (Just kidding. Don't let a little teasing get to you.) Just give me two or three things they changed that really matter. Please? This is your chance to promote the manga some more. ^.~

For the record, I liked Manji's voice for an "older" character, it sounded very good IMHO. The opening is also gorgeous, I'll have to watch it again. <3 (Edited to add that I'm also quite fond of the music.)
LymsleiaJul 16, 2008 8:45 AM
Jul 16, 2008 9:17 AM

May 2008
edit- ^uh, why don't you try the manga out for yourself? is it that hard? read the first chapter or till you're satisfied, and compare it to the Anime, kay?

Beetrain in all it's glory.2 frames, loop @ 4x, you're set.BTW I didn't go hunting for quality shots like the one shown above, they appeared numerous times throughout the episode hard to miss em.Music felt out of place and way too intense in some places(in other words, needlessly loud) Samura's "finishing moves" were a joke, and were all out of order(last fight in particular)

The way they handled Machi made her seem like a hyperactive retard(mostly her non-stop giggling, and flying through the flowers?), it was overdone & overplayed.All the fights were dumbed down to typical samurai anime battles.Mediocre animation, lots of stills, and lots of copouts.I don't usually take things like the OP/ED into account when forming opinions about an anime, but this one did not fit at all.

Like someone else said, Manji's personality seems significantly different.Of course this is still the first episode, and some things might seem like nitpicking, but this IS coming from a big fan so that's only natural.
alarmedJul 18, 2008 5:16 PM
Jul 16, 2008 9:45 AM

Apr 2008
SlipperSleaze said:
uh, why don't you try the manga out for yourself? is it that hard?

Oh I will, don't worry about that. ^^ I'm just sick of all the negativity and people bitching just because something's been done differently (different =/= bad, though I realise that there are cases where it is) without backing it up. *shrugs*

But thanks for the rest of your answer, that one at least gives reasons and leaves it to the reader to agree with them or not, instead of just throwing insults around. Explanations = <3
Jul 16, 2008 10:00 AM

May 2008
I thought it was quite nice. Wasn't super but hey its only the first ep.
Jul 16, 2008 10:54 AM

May 2008
Well, I've only read the first chapter of the manga a while back so I'm not going to get involved with all the bitching about adaptations and whatnot. Watching this however I'll say that it was better than I expected, but still quite disappointing. The soundtrack was annoying as hell, the art and animation were passable if nothing else, and the voice acting just seemed off for whatever reason. Not to mention if this is only going to be 13 episodes I doubt any real story is going to develop in the anime version. Another swing and a miss for Bee Train. Dropped.
Jul 16, 2008 11:46 AM

Jul 2008
tolkki said:

Perfect! Absolutely perfect!
Jul 16, 2008 1:25 PM

Mar 2008
Well I just watched the first Episode and frankly I am rather unimpressed. I wan't expecting much as it isn't the type of anime I like already.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jul 16, 2008 1:34 PM

Feb 2008
well.........i liked the slashing and dicing. haha its not nearly as bad as it seems. not the greatest but oh well.
Jul 16, 2008 2:41 PM

Jul 2008
I just saw this a little while ago, and I'm not familiar with story of the Manga, other then hearing mostly good things about it, the episode felt horribly jumbled. Someone mentioned the score as well, which was borderline terrible. I assume we'll get more direction in the story over the course of the series but this is, well... Bee Train, so somehow I have a bad feeling I'll be dropping this one too.
Jul 16, 2008 2:50 PM

Jul 2007
Hahaha. I loved tolkki's reply.

The song selection was not terrible and some scenes were cool, but the low quality of the background music and the overuse of shadows and darkness made the show seem like it was made 10 years ago.

Just not impressed. Even the story did not do it for me, but maybe it was just poorly presented. I really should read the manga.
Jul 16, 2008 2:59 PM

Feb 2008
I didn't think that was nearly as bad as everyone's saying it was, but the first episode was a little... bland? Cliché? Just generally not captivating?

I think this anime has a lot of potential, but if the first episode is an indicator, it's not likely to be very memorable. I'll definitely want to try the manga.

An optimistic 7/10 for now.
Jul 16, 2008 3:43 PM

Jan 2008
The best part of the first episode was the OP. I expected much more from Blade of the Immortal.
Jul 16, 2008 4:00 PM

Aug 2007
As yet another who didn't jump on the manga at the first announcement that this was going to be adapted as an anime (but before it aired), I have to say.. I was expecting a lot better just from the few previews I saw before this aired. I'm somewhat disappointed.

Aside from the episode itself.. I'm afraid I can't bear to archive the AEN release. It's just.. Well... Refer to the spoiler a few posts up (with the pic).
Jul 16, 2008 5:59 PM
Sep 2007
Think I will go read the manga
Hi
Jul 16, 2008 6:50 PM

Jun 2008
Hawaiian420 said:
Think I will go read the manga

Smart Move.
Jul 16, 2008 7:05 PM

Oct 2007
Well, I liked it, but I haven't read the manga, so I can't compare it to that. I found it enjoyable at least, but I'm actually gonna hold off on a rating for this till I see another episode.

Jul 16, 2008 7:31 PM

Apr 2008
Not familiar with the manga before, but I kinda thought it was boring. I won't judge it just yet since its only the first episode, though.
Jul 16, 2008 8:13 PM
Jan 2008
I just don't really get some of the changes made here. They seemed totally random, at first. but maybe the point is to make this more "dramatic", and that means, to make it more like a soap opera. For example: Why did they not cut Manji's sister into pieces? Of course, to make them have some dialoge before she dies *sigh* .

I suggest that everybody who liked this, and has not read the manga, should just skip the anime and go read the manga.

On the other hand, I don't get why some people here say that they changed Manji's personality. I think it's the same as the manga. Actually, I think the problem is: 1) They changed some dialogues a lot. I don't understand why they shortened Manji's dialogue during his fight with Machi's husband. It doesn't let you know Manji as you can get to know him in the manga. 2) This is a problem with the AEN fansub. They didn't adapt the slang Machi and other characters use. Their dialogues seem too formal when they're actually talking in a more vulgar way.
ymtJul 16, 2008 8:25 PM
Jul 16, 2008 9:50 PM

Jul 2008
SlipperSleaze said:
angel999 said:

You think this is gore galore? you haven't read the manga have you? This is *nothing* in terms of gore(everything else too!)

Well no I actually have seen worst but I am sensible so to me already this is over the brim but the mange is probably overflowing the brim if you know what I mean. Be aware also that manga tend to be more freedom oriented than animes usually are and trust me I saw many things in mangas that make anime much more softer except the 18 stuff. I would agree with you that the manga is bloodier but remember about the limit line of manga and anime.
Jul 17, 2008 6:45 AM

May 2008
They did kinda change Manji's personality for the worse(or not enough development, bad dialogue etc), and they also seemed to change his regen power. I never knew that it pushed out the weapon by itself? lol Wtf is that? That's going to change quite abit of the fights i would imagine, and would make it alot less badass.

My expectations are even lower after seeing the first episode. They are going to butcher the rest of the good scenes too seeing how they did Manji's sisters death/fight scene. The style is horrible in comparison.
Jul 17, 2008 9:42 AM

May 2007
Wow ok, I was expecting this to be a little better ...

Interesting premise and all, but I just feel like it was delivered in a horrible way. There was too much jumping around and it was done imo, awkwardly. It felt like too many things happened too fast. I also kind of disliked how dark all the scenes were. The bgm was also inappropriately used at parts too and kind of disrupted the mood for me.. Is the studio really this bad or ...? I don't know what to say. I feel like the story and everything has great potential but the delivery was just horrible.
Jul 17, 2008 12:46 PM

Jun 2008
I hate it. :]

I wrote all about how I hated it on my team blog, so you can check it out there if you really want. It's on my profile~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 12 Discussion

cyruz - Feb 11, 2009

12 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Feb 2, 2009

17 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 10:36 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 10 Discussion

Jacut - Jan 28, 2009

14 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 10:11 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

19 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Blade of the Immortal Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Dec 8, 2008

14 by Apreggi »»
Apr 18, 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.