Forum Settings
Forums

Animator Suzuki Shunji Discloses Sales Failure of Nichijou

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 1, 2011 12:20 PM

Sep 2008
dtshyk said:
He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost.

Lolwut?

Yeah, sales numbers and all that. But as a SHOW - a piece of animated entertainment - Nichijou has, without a doubt, launched KyoAni all the way into GOD TIER.

But yeah, it's sad that the sales were bad. I guess we'll never see such a well animated show from KyoAni ever again.
Oct 1, 2011 12:21 PM

Apr 2009
What?! Nichijou didn't sell well? How is this possible? The fans ate up the other KyoAni slice of life shows!

Oct 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Jan 2009
"He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost."

Lol, really? One show didn't sold well and now KyoAni considered failure as animation studio? And +4000 copies per volume isn't that bad but not that good either... The most stupid news I have read today. It is not KyoAni fault that Nichijou was overpriced as hell. Blame Kadokawa for overpricing. And in the first place Nichijou wasn't that bad. I blame for Japanese audience having shit taste too.
Oct 1, 2011 12:26 PM

Jul 2009
RyanSaotome said:
What does he have to do with a show underselling?

Nothing. But he can cut down number of anime targeting on otaku, and, as future result, give more space to really good show, like Nichijou.
Oct 1, 2011 12:27 PM

May 2011
Homestuck said:
I'm surprised to hear this considering how much MAL drooled over it.

This:
kisami said:
come on people what MAL people think of a show is not reflective of how things are in JP.
jakeisquite said:
I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.

Seriously, look at all those reviews here claiming that harem and ecchi are bad, yet they keep being produced by companies and watched by a lot of people, including Japanese and even those who complain about them. Westerners do not really have a say on what is a great or terrible title. It is the sales in the country of origin that constitute the most important factor, unless maybe they are exported to another region.

It was doomed to fail from the start.
I think the experts who make anime have at least a bit of insight on what will succeed or fail. It is not a exactly a random guessing game for them.
SeijurouOct 1, 2011 12:30 PM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Oct 1, 2011 12:27 PM

Mar 2008
Reputation lost due poor sales? LOLWUT x2

Well, what to expect from the animator of evangelion? No, i'm talking serious here.
Oct 1, 2011 12:28 PM

Aug 2008
Nichijou apparently isn't moe enough..which makes no damn sense.
Oct 1, 2011 12:29 PM

Jun 2010
Nichijou was the best comedy anime you get in years, and you let it sink in sales like this.

Japan, I am disappoint.

kirby said:
...Nichijou is way better in terms of entertainment than Lucky Star and even K-on!.

I haven't laughed so much with any other show since Azumanga Daioh (and maybe I like Nichijou more!)... So I really don't understand why... I want to hear a response from KyoAni.

Hurvilo said:
...as a SHOW - a piece of animated entertainment - Nichijou has, without a doubt, launched KyoAni all the way into GOD TIER.

This completely embodies my thoughts right now.
Ocean_HorizonOct 1, 2011 12:38 PM
Oct 1, 2011 12:32 PM

Jul 2009
McRib said:
Nichijou had excellent animation but it felt like a lot of the comedy was forced..even from the different standards of Japanese comedy. It wasn't terrible or anything..but it certainly wasn't excellent either.

you speak true words my negro

also this entire thread is butthurt and mad hilarious

If it's so god tier, why can't it sell!? Classic.
Oct 1, 2011 12:35 PM

Jan 2008
Also, I forgot to mention, Nichijou is better not only in terms of entertainment but also is way better in replay value and animation than Lucky Star and K-on!...

I have watched each episode 3 times and still laugh ;__; (and I'm re-watching LS for the firs time, with the occasional smile only) .

I feel like writing a support letter/e-mail to KyoAni (not that it could change anything, but they deserve it).
Oct 1, 2011 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
I don't understand this Nichijou was one of the best of the year so far....10/10 for me. I'll be buying it. I hope Bandai does a blu-ray release. But this...is just wrong.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Oct 1, 2011 12:40 PM

Aug 2010
It's sad really, Nichijou is a good show.

About their reputation... They've been sitting on titles that should have been adapted years ago, I'm not sad in the least. I also don't believe that their situation is that bad.
Oct 1, 2011 12:46 PM

Jan 2008
^
/thread
Oct 1, 2011 12:57 PM

Apr 2010
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-10-01/animator-shunji-suzuki-confirms-nichijo-r-15-itsuten-low-sales

"According to Suzuki, Nichijō (My Ordinary Life) in particular did not come close to meeting the break-even line, thereby "destroying the myth of Kyoto Animation's" invincibility."

That is how ANN translated it.

Oct 1, 2011 1:07 PM

Sep 2010
Okay, let's see.

Nichijou - was fine and all, shouldn't have had bad sales.
R-15 - It was shitty I didn't care about it at all. <_<
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi - Worst SHIT EVER, anyone who favorite this or think it's remotely enjoyable has a shitty taste.
Oct 1, 2011 1:12 PM

Mar 2010
oh look, MAL users acting like bunch of arrogant know-nothings.

When Suzuki says KyoAni has lost their reputation he means their reputation in eyes of producers, sponsors etc. as studio that can make ANYTHING a giant hit anime. Up to Nichijou KyoAni's reputation was of unfaltering hit machine.

This is why they put so insane amount of money in Nichijou's marketing and budget despite its zanyness and the fact manga was no Key game in terms of recognition and popularity. They were banking on Kyoani's brand name.

Now that Nichijou has bombed Kyoani's reputation from business pov as 100% safe bet has been decimated after many years of constant success.
Oct 1, 2011 1:16 PM

Jul 2010
I wonder if KyoAni finally realizes that doing moe/comedy/slice-of-life/yonkoma adaptations won't float their boat anymore.
Oct 1, 2011 1:28 PM

Jun 2011
Blah Blah
All three shows were decent watch at best.
(Based on episode 0 and 1),
Nichijou had excellent so-so animation but it and felt like a lot of the comedy was forced..even from the different standards of Japanese comedy. It wasn't terrible or anything..bu it and certainly wasn't excellent.

It is not the next Azumanga Daioh.

Based on the first episodes, R-15 is generic and Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi is a poor adaptation.

What else to expect?

EDIT: After retrying episode 0 and watching some parts, I admit that the art and animation is good but the entire show and series is not impressive at all.
_laz_Oct 1, 2011 4:24 PM
The threat is stronger than the execution.
Oct 1, 2011 1:40 PM
Sep 2009
Detective said:

If it's so god tier, why can't it sell!? Classic.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one here who thinks this~

Comedy is completely subjective. Just because some people on MAL find it funny does not mean that everyone else thinks the same. For example, I got tired of Nichijou after ten episodes because all the cast did for about +90% of the time was screaming and making jokes that I couldn't understand why they were supposed to be funny; in fact, basically, the whole point of the show seemed to be centered around not-so-ordinary occurrences equaling humor.
Oct 1, 2011 1:58 PM

Jun 2011
jmal said:
lazlain said:
(Based on episode 0)

Which isn't really indicative of the TV series' pacing and is a severely weak basis for analysis. I've lost track of the number of people who were iffy after the OAD but got right back on board with the faster/weirder pace of the actual series.

I'm talking about the comedy which is unfunny (for me) and pacing is not major issue compared to the actual content (forget the story).
I don't see any changes regarding the humor between the episode 0 and 1
_laz_Oct 1, 2011 4:25 PM
Oct 1, 2011 2:07 PM

Mar 2010
Comedy etc. of Nichijou are more a matter of taste but anyone denying the superb animation quality the show had doesn't know what he is talking about. Animation is just phenomenal in Nichijou in general
Oct 1, 2011 2:15 PM

May 2008
the other 2 makes sense, but Nichijou was very entertaining
Oct 1, 2011 2:31 PM
Nov 2010
I'm surprised Nichijou didn't succeed in sales, I've heard many good things about it, even though I haven't watched it myself...
And yeah, I don't think it should be in the same boat as the other two shows...
Oct 1, 2011 2:36 PM

Jun 2008
GaZsTiC said:
The people on the first page are acting like idiots.

The reason Nichijou didn't sell well is because it was the most expensive television anime of the year, other than Gosick.

It costs something like 1000 dollars for all 26 episodes, if my memory serves well.

Jesus christ, the price of anime in Japan is ridiculous. @_@

Also, I really don't understand what people liked so much about Nichijou. The only characters I really cared about or laughed at were the professor, Nano and Sakamoto. I didn't realise "LOLrandom" counted as high comedy now.
And yeah, as a fan of KyoAni and their moeblobshityf****t anime, I was very disappointed.
/unpopularopinion
SmochiMay 12, 2013 4:50 PM
Oct 1, 2011 2:37 PM
May 2010

Oh Japan...

Comedy aside, the show still has great animation and music. Sad news.

And whoever thought Nichijou wasn't moe, lolwut
harmannOct 1, 2011 2:40 PM
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!
Oct 1, 2011 2:38 PM

Aug 2009
I hate moeblob with passions.

I watched this show till episode 14, I still don't know why I could persist through all of those. Yes, this is not moeblob anime. I hate this show with passions.

I think it deserves the sales figures.
naoanOct 1, 2011 2:58 PM
Oct 1, 2011 2:43 PM

Jun 2008
harmann said:

THIS. Seriously.
Just look at the professor and tell me what is not moe about that. :| not to mention that 90% of the cast was female and the art style was pretty cute.
Oct 1, 2011 2:44 PM

Jun 2011
Xardie said:
Comedy etc. of Nichijou are more a matter of taste but anyone denying the superb animation quality the show had doesn't know what he is talking about. Animation is just phenomenal in Nichijou in general

Overall, is the art quality on the same level as Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy, Studio Ghibli movies in general, previous KyoAni works (e.g. Angel Beats), End of Evangelion, and Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse?
Art =/= animation
Good but not phenominal or superb
Oct 1, 2011 2:51 PM

Oct 2009
Make shitty shows, overprice the hell out of them, then expect high sales. LOLJAPAN.
Oct 1, 2011 2:54 PM

Apr 2010
Smochi said:
harmann said:

THIS. Seriously.
Just look at the professor and tell me what is not moe about that. :| not to mention that 90% of the cast was female and the art style was pretty cute.

"Japanese slang term (ironically, first employed by otaku) used to refer to the fetish for or sexual attraction to anime characters, usually a fictional perfect young girl."

Nobody feels any kind of attraction to the girls in Nichijou, because every single character has the exact same body, and just different clothes and facial features. There are no figurines being sold, no body pillows, and no doujins being made. Nobody cares about these girls because its not a moeblob show, unlike every other recent KyoAni show.

Theres no Mio, Haruhi, Konata, Kyou etc that the otaku love in this show. Thus, it doesn't sell.

Oct 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Aug 2009
lazlain said:
Xardie said:

Overall, is the art quality on the same level as Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy, Studio Ghibli movies in general, previous KyoAni works (e.g. Angel Beats), End of Evangelion, and Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse?
Art =/= animation
Good but not phenominal or superb

How could you even compare Mawaru Penguindrum, with its quality dropping faster than meteorite for each episode, with Ghibli movie? o_O

There is no denying that Nichijou has very very high production value (try to observe each frame), but art alone does not make a good anime.
Oct 1, 2011 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
naoan said:
How could you even compare Mawaru Penguindrum, with its quality dropping faster than meteorite for each episode, with Ghibli movie? o_O

There is no denying that Nichijou has very very high production value (try to observe each frame), but art alone does not make a good anime.

exactly why Nichijou is extremely expensive and failed to break even.
Btw, I'm only talking about art & animation quality but Mawaru Penguindrum still wins in this department.

Overall, Mawaru Penguindrum is doing well so far in all aspects and is still unpredictable.
It is in competition with Kaiji as the anime of the year.
_laz_Oct 1, 2011 5:49 PM
Oct 1, 2011 3:22 PM

May 2008
RyanSaotome said:

"Japanese slang term (ironically, first employed by otaku) used to refer to the fetish for or sexual attraction to anime characters, usually a fictional perfect young girl."

This is somewhat inaccurate. The word has a much broader usage, as people can have moe for things like abandoned buildings (haikyo-moe) http://bangin.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/%e5%bb%83%e5%a2%9f%e8%90%8c%e3%81%88haikyo-moe/#more-2675. To quote wikipedia "The word has come to be used to mean one particular kind of "adorable", one specific type of "cute", mainly as applied to fictional characters."
RyanSaotome said:
Nobody feels any kind of attraction to the girls in Nichijou, because every single character has the exact same body, and just different clothes clothes and facial features.

Anime character all rook same. This has never stopped anybody from finding anime characters attractive. If you look on Pixiv or the various boorus, you will find NSFW fanart of Nichijou characters. So clearly someone is fetishizing them.
Burz-onOct 1, 2011 3:36 PM
Oct 1, 2011 3:28 PM

Sep 2010
After reading some opinions on this topic I came to the conclusion that Japanese otaku definitely weird people. Of course I knew it before, but considering the low sales of Nichijou and for example the high sales of Infinite Stratos, I just don't get it. I remember not understanding why IS got such high sales when the sales chart was released, if I'm right I even did post something in that topic.
IS was fairly entertaining, but is something I would even spend a penny on. Nichijou is awesome, and is just perfect in every way in my opinion. Yes, the characters are not moeblob or they have tried to make them more attractive looking as in Clannad, but I like the character for what they are.
Oct 1, 2011 3:35 PM

Apr 2010
Ovindel said:
After reading some opinions on this topic I came to the conclusion that Japanese otaku definitely weird people. Of course I knew it before, but considering the low sales of Nichijou and for example the high sales of Infinite Stratos, I just don't get it. I remember not understanding why IS got such high sales when the sales chart was released, if I'm right I even did post something in that topic.
IS was fairly entertaining, but is something I would even spend a penny on. Nichijou is awesome, and is just perfect in every way in my opinion. Yes, the characters are not moeblob or they have tried to make them more attractive looking as in Clannad, but I like the character for what they are.

Infinite Stratos wasn't only because of cute girls... it was already a very popular light novel franchise in Japan that had a large existing fanbase, similar to Ore no Imouto and Boku Tomo this Fall season. So when you have a giant fanbase like that to begin with, its a lot easier to sell it to. Nobody in the West really read those novels before hand so there was no initial hype for it, so people didn't really care about IS.

Oct 1, 2011 3:38 PM

Dec 2008
Whoa. Well, thats pretty disappointing.
I'm pretty everyone enjoyed Nichijou.
Thats sad. But hey, its just the sales, right?

I mean, we all love it. But, thats really
some down new there nhm. D:
Oct 1, 2011 3:38 PM

Nov 2010
I kinda of saw this coming from far back. The jokes seemed to lose their freshness, and it's budget seemed to be enormously high. Of course it would be difficult to break even in selling a show when half a fortune was invested into it.
Oct 1, 2011 4:08 PM

Mar 2009
Nichijou was awesome.
Oct 1, 2011 4:12 PM

Sep 2010
Nichijou was so lack-luster. To coin an old term; "all style no substance". But KyoAni is still a great studio so the whole "reputation lost" thing sounds like an overreaction.
Oct 1, 2011 4:38 PM
Mar 2010
It truly is a shame it had to become this way Nichijou is done very well to such a disappointment.
Oct 1, 2011 4:39 PM

Sep 2011
People on this thread doesn't seen to get it -_-

Listen up americans. Why did Nichijou not sell well.
1. Kyoto animation practically promised moe titles with their current reputation. So naturally, Otakus assumed it was amoe title and overhyped it(likely through 2chan).
2. It's contents included slice of life. NO MOE.
as you can see, people were disappointed when this show was not a moe title. It would be far-fetched to think it would still sell that much......
3. Even if there was no moe, Otakus loved characters that are memorable, so it should've sold lots. Right? Wrong. None of the characters were very impressionate, so not even that could help them.....
4. But what about the plot? None? Yeah.....
5. Hey the comedy was good right!?
Surly it was amusing. But with the amount if audience turned off. I'll be hard-pressed to find a person to not watch sazae-San, doraemon, or crayon shin-chan...... In other words, TGE humor was forced and outclassed.

7. Great expectations
Low impression
Low audience
Low sales

It's like astrolotte no omocha again.....
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 1, 2011 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
Kalamity-kun said:
I kinda of saw this coming from far back. The jokes seemed to lose their freshness, and it's budget seemed to be enormously high. Of course it would be difficult to break even in selling a show when half a fortune was invested into it.

You sir, speak the truth. I love your avatar too btw!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Oct 1, 2011 4:50 PM

Jul 2008
I didn't care for Nichijou. So I can understand why it wouldn't sell.

I wonder what KyoAni has up their sleeves for the future though. Other than the K-ON! movie that is.
Oct 1, 2011 4:54 PM

Oct 2010
This show was my favorite this year by far! This is not fair. R-15... LOL REALLY?? That show fails. Nichijou wins.

Will buy asap.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Oct 1, 2011 5:20 PM

Nov 2007
nichijou was one of the best anime this season

r15 sucked
tenma sucked

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Oct 1, 2011 5:58 PM
Apr 2009
The whole industry is supported by 1000 fat Japanese nerds who buy the million yen blu rays. Nichijou wasn't moe enough, the nerds didn't buy it, and KyoAni was disgraced. Having learned to never stray from the ways of moe, there is now officially no chance in hell of KyoAni spending valuable time and resources on animating the rest of Full Metal Panic!
Oct 1, 2011 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Nichijou was fucking great. The only reason it didn't sell was because it wasn't complete moeshit. I hate blaming moe for problems in the industry but I just cannot this time.
Oct 1, 2011 6:36 PM

Aug 2008
I was planning to watch Nichijou! ( I will someday )
Oct 1, 2011 7:30 PM

Dec 2008
Well, Nichijou was airing as a kid's anime... Kid's anime don't sell as well as adult/teen's.

And it was also competing with Tiger & Bunny and Madoka Magica. :/ Kinda a hard match...
Oct 1, 2011 7:59 PM

Jul 2010
Really? Nichijou was maybe my third favorite anime this year, right behind Steins;Gate and Madoka. It was the most fun I had watching an anime this year, and I love the humor. In my opinion, It's one of KyoAni's best shows. It's a shame it's not selling well because it's aparantly "not moe enough," when before people were dismissing it for being "moe crap"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by AwNoodles »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.