Forum Settings
Forums

Animator Suzuki Shunji Discloses Sales Failure of Nichijou

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2011 11:08 AM

Jan 2010
"He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost."
lmfao, I can't. One anime ruins the entire reputation of a studio? Are you fucking kidding with me? Okay, so an actor stars in a shitty movie, does that actor suddenly lose all credit as an actor? Would a game developer studio lose their entire reputation if they made one shitty/underrated/under-appreciated game? Would a musician lose all their fans if they made one shitty album or song? No.
Jesus fuck with the drama, I get that the business is tough or whatever but chill.

Nichijou wasn't even that bad from what I saw, which wasn't a lot.
Oct 1, 2011 11:08 AM

Sep 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Ovindel said:
That's completely not okay. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed Nichijou lots, I've only seen very positive responses to it. I totally didn't expect a KyoAni show to have such low sales that they even not reach to break-even point.

Maybe KyoAni fans are boycotting them because they want them to create more serious shows...

Well it wasn't a moeblob show, which is KyoAnis bread & butter. All this'll teach them is that they dare not try anything other than moeblob shows these days.

That's true, sadly enough. I liked Nichijou more than K-ON I think. K-ON was not really a problem for at least me, but I would like something completely different too.
You know, there's something I still don't get. Why is K-ON hated so much even though it's loved by so many people? I mean, the sales were high, there's a huge fanbase, etc. I don't really get it.
Oct 1, 2011 11:10 AM

Jul 2010
Ovindel said:
RyanSaotome said:
Ovindel said:
That's completely not okay. I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed Nichijou lots, I've only seen very positive responses to it. I totally didn't expect a KyoAni show to have such low sales that they even not reach to break-even point.

Maybe KyoAni fans are boycotting them because they want them to create more serious shows...

Well it wasn't a moeblob show, which is KyoAnis bread & butter. All this'll teach them is that they dare not try anything other than moeblob shows these days.

That's true, sadly enough. I liked Nichijou more than K-ON I think. K-ON was not really a problem for at least me, but I would like something completely different too.
You know, there's something I still don't get. Why is K-ON hated so much even though it's loved by so many people? I mean, the sales were high, there's a huge fanbase, etc. I don't really get it.

Anything popular will be passionately hated by a segment of the population. This is the common thread that links shounen anime with harem anime with moe anime, with shoujo anime, ect. ect.
Oct 1, 2011 11:10 AM
Dec 2008
Well two of these shows are just terrible.
Oct 1, 2011 11:11 AM

Apr 2011
Well the sales price of anime dvds are quite expensive...
colemanH.png colemanh-1.png
Oct 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Jan 2008
i wasn't very fond of the last KyoAni Shows either. A new season of Full Metal Panic would have been much better :'(
Oct 1, 2011 11:14 AM

Aug 2010
Yeah if they didn't charge so much for two episode sets then maybe they would get more sales. Put on the other hand, the anime piracy has no excuse in Japan especially when they can watch it on TV. I really wish more fans would buy it, but at the same time it's price is ridiculous.
Oct 1, 2011 11:16 AM

Aug 2010
Nichijou has been one of the best so far this year though. that's very surprising to hear.
Oct 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Apr 2010
Homestuck said:
I'm surprised to hear this considering how much MAL drooled over it.

What MAL like doesn't mean much. They drooled over Deadman Wonderland for instance, and it was the worst selling show of its season in Japan.

Oct 1, 2011 11:17 AM

Jan 2011
One of the better shows to come out this year imo. :/
Oct 1, 2011 11:18 AM
Mar 2011
i was right
kyoani will need to be brought out like sunrise was in the mid 90's heres comes bandai to save the day
maybe not today this year or ext year but one day
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 1, 2011 11:20 AM

Sep 2011
That's a huge disappointment, considering Nichijou is one of my favourites from the last season(s).

It's popularity wasn't a lie; Nichijou was extremely popular on NicoNico. It regularly gets 300k+ viewers on the streams.

It's just Kadokawa charges extreme crazy per prices for the DVD's, with only like 2 episodes per DVD's.

This isn't even talking about the prices of the Blu-Rays yet.
Oct 1, 2011 11:20 AM

Nov 2008
Nichijou deserved 5000 sales at least, it was a good anime. R-15 would have been good if the censors were reduced, Itsuka Tenma was doomed to fail before it even aired.

Oct 1, 2011 11:22 AM

Apr 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Nichijou wasn't that bad!
Ik! nichijou is like sooo funny now! D:
Oct 1, 2011 11:24 AM

Nov 2008
aTachibana7 said:

It's just Kadokawa charges extreme crazy per prices for the DVD's, with only like 2 episodes per DVD's.

Yeah I believe this is a good reason but it could be worse, just see what Aniplex is charging for Idolm@ster BDs.

Oct 1, 2011 11:28 AM

Aug 2010
aTachibana7 said:
That's a huge disappointment, considering Nichijou is one of my favourites from the last season(s).

It's popularity wasn't a lie; Nichijou was extremely popular on NicoNico. It regularly gets 300k+ viewers on the streams.

Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho? I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.
Oct 1, 2011 11:28 AM

Apr 2010
GaZsTiC said:
The people on the first page are acting like idiots.

The reason Nichijou didn't sell well is because it was the most expensive television anime of the year, other than Gosick.

It costs something like 1000 dollars for all 26 episodes, if my memory serves well.

That doesn't really mean that much... if its something people want to buy, they'll buy it regardless. IIRC, this is the same price as all other recent KyoAni anime, and they all sold among the best. Its just that Nichijou didn't appeal as much to the Otaku.

Oct 1, 2011 11:30 AM

Sep 2008
So a great show happens to have low sales and now KyoAni is considered trash in the anime industry?

I don't get it.
Oct 1, 2011 11:31 AM

Feb 2008
come on people what MAL people think of a show is not reflective of how things are in JP. a lot of industries are having to rethink their methods and tactics. anime should do the same or they will run the risk of turning Hollywood and recycling all kind of shit.
Oct 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Aug 2009
GaZsTiC said:

The reason Nichijou didn't sell well is because it was the most expensive television anime of the year, other than Gosick.

It costs something like 1000 dollars for all 26 episodes, if my memory serves well.

Newsflash, every single anime in Japan is incredibly expensive.
Oct 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Aug 2010
GaZsTiC said:
jakeisquite said:
Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho?

No...

NicoNico is a Japanese streaming site which is kind of like a combination of Youtube and Crunchyroll. There is an English version of the site which also streams anime, but it is still in its beta.
oh, well thanks for correcting me. looks like i fail a bit then....
Oct 1, 2011 11:38 AM

Sep 2011
jakeisquite said:
aTachibana7 said:

Isn't nico nico mainly for western audiences tho? I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.

No, Nico Nico Douga is a japanese website. These were the numbers of Japanese viewers on almost every episode on average, if I remember correctly. This was a live broadcast, which is essentially like them watching TV.

IS was popular because it was a harem show with lots and lots of girls. Japan simply loves that kind of stuff, so it was obvious it was going to sell well. It's why for quite a few seasons, some shows that the western audience may not like, but ends up selling like hotcakes in Japan.
Oct 1, 2011 11:38 AM

Apr 2010
GaZsTiC said:
RyanSaotome said:
IIRC, this is the same price as all other recent KyoAni anime

No it isn't. It is significantly more expensive, as are other Kadokawa DVD/BDs.

Oh my bad, I thought that Kadokawa typically published the KyoAni stuff. Guess I was wrong.

Oct 1, 2011 11:41 AM

Nov 2008
not surprised i knew the sucked that's why i didn't even bother watching any of them to begin with.
Oct 1, 2011 11:41 AM

Jan 2008
I hate how "reputation" depends on sales. Stupid capitalism that distract our attention from the art part of a work...

Also, doesn't in Japan the TV rating affect how well an anime is going? I always hear the likeness of a next season (for example) is based on DVD/BD sales ._.
Oct 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
jmal said:
Hoppy said:
just see what Aniplex is charging for Idolm@ster BDs.

Well that's a bit different. Their normal non-bundle LE BDs are a bit expensive but overall standard priced at ¥8,190 msrp for Vols. 2-9 and ¥7,140 for Vol. 1. And 9 discs for two cour is fairly standard, certainly less than Nichijou's 13.

Kadokawa's prices definitely are the worst in the business, an Nichijou isn't even as bad as they get (see Gosick...). But I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. R-15 will sell a couple thousand (standard) and Itsuka Tenma will sell less, but so do plenty of other shows.

Sounds like Suzuki just has a bone to pick with Kadokawa, honestly.

Ew 13 vols, that makes things worse, just why do that when you can do 9. I feel sorry for Nekogami, it just sold like shit. Gosick was ridiculous, good thing that got licensed.

Oct 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Apr 2010
r15 and dark rabbit sucked....

Nichijou however was awesome.. i would have that they would have done realy well

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Oct 1, 2011 11:43 AM

Aug 2009
GaZsTiC said:
STM said:
Newsflash, every single anime in Japan is incredibly expensive.

Newsflash, Nichijou was more incredibly expensive than every other title, other than Gosick. Most TV anime cost between 200-400 dollars to purchase all the episodes. Nichijou and Gosick cost between 1000-1500.

Nichijou's recommended price per volume is 7980 yen, which isn't that much more than any other anime volumes that contain 2 episodes. Most 2 episode volumes are 7000 - 8000 yen, and 3 episode volumes are 8000-9000 yen. This might've influenced Nichijou's sales in the slightest, but it definitely isn't the cause of it bombing in Japan.
And a regular anime definitely doesn't cost around 200-400 dollars to purchase, it's easily 400+.
Oct 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Nov 2008
kirby said:
I hate how "reputation" depends on sales. Stupid capitalism that distract our attention from the art part of a work...

Also, doesn't in Japan the TV rating affect how well an anime is going? I always hear the likeness of a next season (for example) is based on DVD/BD sales ._.

TV rating on otaku-o-clock anime doesn't really matter as much if at all as BD/DVD sales, because those anime are a sort of infomercial for people to buy the discs after it's finished.

Oct 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Apr 2010
kirby said:

Late night anime typically airs between midnight and 3 am, and they have to buy the timeslots to air it (like an infomercial). Ratings really mean nothing for them, since they are just buying an advertisement slot so they can sell the DVD/BD of it later. Only long running shonen and kids anime really air during the day where ratings matter.

Oct 1, 2011 11:46 AM

May 2009
Maybe Kadokawa should focus on finding other shows to adapt then? I get the impression they're trying to pin the blame on KyoAni, who actually did a stellar job on Nichijou in terms of animation.

The only bad thing about Nichijou IMO is that the jokes aren't always thought-provoking n or funny. At least, not if you watch the show the first time (my experience seems to indicate that it gets better if you review it again later).

Also, Nichijou suffered from heavy competition. Last I checked, even Japan's economy isn't exactly great, and customers have to chose more carefully what they buy. Even otaku have their limits, financially speaking.

As for R-15 and ItsuTen, given that those shows are more niche than any other show, especially since they're heavy in fanservice, anyone expecting them to sell well is fooling himself (even though R-15 probably suffers from an image problem, as it's actually quite a good show if you bother to give it a chance).

And KyoAni's reputation ruined after one show fails to sell? Wanna bet that the K-ON! movie will not only have people flocking en masse to the theaters, but will also sell Blu-Rays like hotcakes?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a publicity stunt from Kadokawa? If so, I wonder how much it will backfire then.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2011 11:49 AM

Jan 2008
Thanks to everyone for your explanations, now I get it owo"
Oct 1, 2011 11:50 AM

Jul 2009
So what we learn today? "Ishihara was damn right", huh?
Oct 1, 2011 11:56 AM

Apr 2010
Steve7125 said:
So what we learn today? "Ishihara was damn right", huh?

What does he have to do with a show underselling?

Oct 1, 2011 12:00 PM

Apr 2010
Kvakond said:
Nichijou in the same news with R-15 and Kuro usagi. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

But really? Nichijou ruined the reputation of KyoAni since they did something after god knows how long that wasn't a total moefagdroolfest? And the moefags got pissed and didn't buy it? Again, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

This ^

Rand0mless's PokePet

Kuro the level 76 Umbreon!
Oct 1, 2011 12:01 PM

Oct 2007
Nichijou was hilarious and unfortunately otaku like moeblob shit more than comedy. And lol R-15 and Tenma Itsuka, they were shit.
Oct 1, 2011 12:06 PM

Dec 2009
Heh that's crazy, Nichijou looks like a fun show
Oct 1, 2011 12:07 PM

Jan 2008
Ovindel said:

Maybe KyoAni fans are boycotting them because they want them to create more serious shows....

They are boycotting cause it doesn't have moeblobs or KEY lol-drama in it.
Oct 1, 2011 12:16 PM

Sep 2008
RyanSaotome said:
GaZsTiC said:

That doesn't really mean that much... if its something people want to buy, they'll buy it regardless. .

that doest make any economic sense whatsoever
eyerokOct 1, 2011 12:20 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 1, 2011 12:18 PM

Apr 2010
Wasuki said:
I always though Nichijou's failures were due to the actual prices of the BD's and DVD's? They were overpriced, moreso than usual anime BD's?

Well like Jmal said earlier, Lucky Star used the same prices, and it sold 30k. If you make an anime people want, they'll buy it. Just blaming it on the prices is kind of a cop out

Oct 1, 2011 12:20 PM

Sep 2008
dtshyk said:
He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost.

Lolwut?

Yeah, sales numbers and all that. But as a SHOW - a piece of animated entertainment - Nichijou has, without a doubt, launched KyoAni all the way into GOD TIER.

But yeah, it's sad that the sales were bad. I guess we'll never see such a well animated show from KyoAni ever again.
Oct 1, 2011 12:21 PM

Apr 2009
What?! Nichijou didn't sell well? How is this possible? The fans ate up the other KyoAni slice of life shows!

Oct 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Jan 2009
"He said the reputation of Kyoto Animation has been completely lost."

Lol, really? One show didn't sold well and now KyoAni considered failure as animation studio? And +4000 copies per volume isn't that bad but not that good either... The most stupid news I have read today. It is not KyoAni fault that Nichijou was overpriced as hell. Blame Kadokawa for overpricing. And in the first place Nichijou wasn't that bad. I blame for Japanese audience having shit taste too.
Oct 1, 2011 12:26 PM

Jul 2009
RyanSaotome said:
What does he have to do with a show underselling?

Nothing. But he can cut down number of anime targeting on otaku, and, as future result, give more space to really good show, like Nichijou.
Oct 1, 2011 12:27 PM

May 2011
Homestuck said:
I'm surprised to hear this considering how much MAL drooled over it.

This:
kisami said:
come on people what MAL people think of a show is not reflective of how things are in JP.
jakeisquite said:
I think the main issue is that western audiences and Japanese audiences have different preferences. Look at IS: infinite stratos from winter. not many people on MAL and other sites were huge fans of it (from what i noticed), yet it was one of the best selling shows in japan.

Seriously, look at all those reviews here claiming that harem and ecchi are bad, yet they keep being produced by companies and watched by a lot of people, including Japanese and even those who complain about them. Westerners do not really have a say on what is a great or terrible title. It is the sales in the country of origin that constitute the most important factor, unless maybe they are exported to another region.

It was doomed to fail from the start.
I think the experts who make anime have at least a bit of insight on what will succeed or fail. It is not a exactly a random guessing game for them.
SeijurouOct 1, 2011 12:30 PM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Oct 1, 2011 12:27 PM

Mar 2008
Reputation lost due poor sales? LOLWUT x2

Well, what to expect from the animator of evangelion? No, i'm talking serious here.
Oct 1, 2011 12:28 PM

Aug 2008
Nichijou apparently isn't moe enough..which makes no damn sense.
Oct 1, 2011 12:29 PM

Jun 2010
Nichijou was the best comedy anime you get in years, and you let it sink in sales like this.

Japan, I am disappoint.

kirby said:
...Nichijou is way better in terms of entertainment than Lucky Star and even K-on!.

I haven't laughed so much with any other show since Azumanga Daioh (and maybe I like Nichijou more!)... So I really don't understand why... I want to hear a response from KyoAni.

Hurvilo said:
...as a SHOW - a piece of animated entertainment - Nichijou has, without a doubt, launched KyoAni all the way into GOD TIER.

This completely embodies my thoughts right now.
Ocean_HorizonOct 1, 2011 12:38 PM
Oct 1, 2011 12:32 PM

Jul 2009
McRib said:
Nichijou had excellent animation but it felt like a lot of the comedy was forced..even from the different standards of Japanese comedy. It wasn't terrible or anything..but it certainly wasn't excellent either.

you speak true words my negro

also this entire thread is butthurt and mad hilarious

If it's so god tier, why can't it sell!? Classic.
Oct 1, 2011 12:35 PM

Jan 2008
Also, I forgot to mention, Nichijou is better not only in terms of entertainment but also is way better in replay value and animation than Lucky Star and K-on!...

I have watched each episode 3 times and still laugh ;__; (and I'm re-watching LS for the firs time, with the occasional smile only) .

I feel like writing a support letter/e-mail to KyoAni (not that it could change anything, but they deserve it).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 2 hours ago

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 minutes ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 25 minutes ago

1 by EcchiGodMamster »»
6 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
2 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.