Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 29, 2011 11:44 PM
Aug 2009
MapleRose said:

Another thing I noticed, when the father got the call from the hospital about the birth, he said it's a boy, meaning, there's only one baby, not twins. Hmm...

And in the preview, it looks like they got the diary back...

Keeping that in mind, you can draw some pretty interesting conclusions from this line in episode 1.
AhmadinejadSep 30, 2011 12:25 AM
Lord of Iranime ☪
Sep 30, 2011 12:09 AM

Jul 2011
Wow wasnt expecting that...ready for next ep!!!!
Sep 30, 2011 12:16 AM

Aug 2008
I swear I saw two Kenzans. What is it implying?
Anyway, I ran out of praises for this.
Sep 30, 2011 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
OK Penguindrum, you've earned a 10. I will cease to speculate...I'm just along for the ride now...

Freakin' fantastic!
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 30, 2011 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
It's safe to assume that the goddess in the Mary and her Lambs story refers to Sanetoshi. The part in the hospital at the beginning of the episode kind of supports that. The father stole something forbidden or Sanetoshi struck some kind of devilish deal with him and unbeknownst to the father the price was Himari. Sanetoshi's black two rabbits remind me of the two white rabbits on the moon legend who make mochi. I also remember in ep 5 that the father wore a jacket that sported the Kiga emblem and here before that attack he was affiliated with the Penguin Force, whch shows he had switched jobs/alleiances after the attack.

Tabuki's unacceptance of Momoka's death kind of foreshadowed that he's also a player in the race to obtain the Penguindrum, it could be to resurrect Momoka. With the Takakura twins, Masako and Tabuki doing their utmost to keep the people that they love alive/bring them back from the dead, I wonder what's Sanetoshi's purpose with the Penguindrum which is supposedly Momoka's diary.
Sep 30, 2011 1:26 AM

Jan 2011
THIS IS ALL RINGO AND SHOUMA'S FAULT!! They spent so much time goofing around princess of the crystal ran out of energy WOW I really hate Ringo right about now. She better help get that shit back.

I think princess of the crystal symphasizes with kanba and knows Himari wouldn't want Kanba to sacrifce himself.

Kanba x princess of the crystal T-T

As if on que the troll commeth. Unless your going to help himari GTFO before Kanba beats you to death with his scorpion soul.

prismheart said:
I'm glued to the screen every episode. That scene with Himari and Kamba was crazy and kind of hot lol.

It was very hot.
VioLinkSep 30, 2011 1:50 AM
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 2:58 AM
Jul 2011
HOLY WATGAFALFHSFSHITTTTTTT!!!!! I've just been mindblown. This just gets better and better, lol. I cried when penguin 3 died.

And was it necessary for Himari to strip? Honestly! My little brother watches this!
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Sep 30, 2011 3:07 AM

Oct 2010
Halfway through the series, and it's getting more and more awesome. ^^

Ahmadinejad said:
MapleRose said:

Another thing I noticed, when the father got the call from the hospital about the birth, he said it's a boy, meaning, there's only one baby, not twins. Hmm...

Keeping that in mind, you can draw some pretty interesting conclusions from this line in episode 1.

Oh damn. My brain says that the other "boy" that the father mentioned may be one of the two.
"Isn't life, by nature, a contest decided by a single round? However trifling the matter, it's not possible to return to the last save point by pushing some reset button." - Kazuki Hoshino, Hakomari, Vol. 1
Sep 30, 2011 3:16 AM

Feb 2010
Ahmadinejad said:
MapleRose said:

Interesting...
Sep 30, 2011 3:45 AM

Aug 2009
YURI = MOMOKA

very, very insteresting suggestion....

And why there were 2 fathers at one instance? Anybody noticed that ??
Sep 30, 2011 4:15 AM

Jul 2009
skymeri said:
Btw, the symbol on Sanetoshi's apple changed... anybody have an idea what it is? I've been trying to figure it out since forever x_x

It looks like an ampoule to me.

Anyway, this episode... I don't really have much to say that isn't just the usual 'brilliant, can't wait for next week'
Was anyone else a little creeped out when the penguins were just standing still with their backs to the audience? It's such a contrast to their usual actions that I was half expecting them to turn around and suddenly be completely different or something xP
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Sep 30, 2011 4:17 AM

Jan 2009
Auri_Venia said:

And I also noticed that too! I was thinking "How come he didn't say 'THEY'RE BOYS'"....
So I guess one of them is a Tomato in the Mirror...? O__O

If it's Kanba, I'm not going to feel half as dirty as I do right now shipping him with Himari, because THIS SCENE --->

sexiji said:

!!!

*iz ded*
Sep 30, 2011 5:31 AM

Jan 2010
ZOMG NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....ok enough with the exessive U's this episode was just purely awesome. I dare say this is creeping up to near Steins;Gate level though not quiet there yet. Im very happy with this anime so far.
Himari plz come back i dont wanna see u die QQ. And also am I the only one that kinda feels like punching the pink haired guy in the face >.> I know he hasnt done anything yet to really deserve it but damn I get the urge to punch him. Oh well cant wait till next episode.
Sep 30, 2011 5:34 AM

Aug 2008
Really great episode! So sad and bitter, I'm a sucker for tragedies. (That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Himari to wake up again, though) Also, there's more questions again but I'm really content since they don't explain too much and plot is still slowly revealing itself. Can't wait to see what happens next.
MapleRose said:

I'm wondering this too.
Sep 30, 2011 6:00 AM

Jun 2008
this gotta be one of the best episodes XD

It was amazing*.*

Kamba and Princess of Crystal is pure WIN! that scene was definitely so hot *nosebleeds*

So the hypothesis we reached regarding this episode and all the comments i read are:
- Momoka might be Masako? (so who is Mario and why is she with him?).
- Tabuki has something to do with the Penguindrum?(and the hell we always see Tabuki associated with a crow).
- Sanetoshi is the "god" of destiny? (so "Mary" is the siblings dad?)
- Shouma might be adopted?

Man, so many questions... every episode we never get answers T_T

And damn, ill miss...penguin number 3!
OrulyonSep 30, 2011 3:19 PM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Sep 30, 2011 6:39 AM
Sep 2011
I'm curious how Tabuki got those scars on his right hand and what's the bird in the cage is supposed to mean...Anyway, even though Himari's death sxene was sad I expect her to be resurrected again though there will be probably a twist to it.
Sep 30, 2011 6:49 AM

Apr 2011
Interesting episode. Don't quite get the Mary story. I figured that the three lambs are Kanba, Shouma and Himari. Who's Mary supposed to be though - like, who does she represent.

And looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed the "it's a boy" thing.

Though - here's what I think. A bit after the scene with the man on the phone, there were two men who got out of a van and nodded to each other. They both kind of look like older versions of Kanba and Shouma. So I'm guessing that those two are brothers maybe? I'm thinking one of those men was the one on the phone. So maybe - one of them died in the blast and adopted the others son? Which would make Kanba and Shouma cousins instead of brothers.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Sep 30, 2011 6:58 AM

Aug 2010
The "it's a boy" line doesn't mean they aren't twins. It's possible the father got a call before one of them was born. Twins can be born a good length of time apart in some cases.
Sep 30, 2011 6:58 AM
Nov 2010
IceBubbleTea said:
HOLY WATGAFALFHSFSHITTTTTTT!!!!! I've just been mindblown. This just gets better and better, lol. I cried when penguin 3 died.

And was it necessary for Himari to strip? Honestly! My little brother watches this!

Not sure how old your little brother is but here is a quick list of questionable things that have already happened before this episode:

1) Main character dying, traumatic ER scenes
2) Lusting after sister, implied kiss between siblings
3) Penguins looking up girls skirts
4) Ringo stalking to the point of living under the persons house
5) Woman with laser-sighted slingshot shooting people in the head
6) Semi-occult style frog face-humping session
7) Threat of torture for person strapped to table in basement of hospital
8) Ringo stripping and trying to RAPE Tabuki
9) [more I can't remember now, but I'm sure others can]

.....but you're concerned about him seeing some anime skin where everything is covered?
Sep 30, 2011 7:45 AM

Aug 2009
So for Survival Strategy you have to be naked? ok....................
Sep 30, 2011 8:01 AM
Dec 2007
I see. So the subway setting HAS a meaning, and a very big one at that. There were some fantastic developments in this episode, the direction is ever so clever, and this climax ! This time, it really feels like Himari is dead, or more specifically, there would be no point in making her die a second time if it wasn't definitive. Fantastic episode.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 30, 2011 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
And geez is it really necessary that duo persona Himari to strip herself in the process of obtaining part of Kanba's life source?

It may not be necessary, but it sure was appreciated. :B I loved that scene.

I'm a bit saddened by the fact that when something with Kanba/Himari finally did happen, she had to die immediately. T_T And that he wasn't "good enough" to save her. Though...did Himari actually say that about him, or did Kanba just think he wasn't good enough? Because if it's just Kanba saying "why couldn't I be good enough to save her?" it's possible that "not being good enough" isn't the reason that the princess didn't take his life force.
Sep 30, 2011 8:34 AM

Jul 2008
7godeohs said:
IceBubbleTea said:

Not sure how old your little brother is but here is a quick list of questionable things that have already happened before this episode:

.....but you're concerned about him seeing some anime skin where everything is covered?

Nice rebuttals and examples on IceBubbleTea's points! Seeing skin when compared to those scenes isn't narly as bad. And to help strengthen you point, I will add examples from recent episodes to your list:

Episode 9) Himari accidentally causing a mirror to break on her mother in an implied violent scene, and as a long shot the "abstract children's boiler"
Episode 10) Penguin Number 2 sticking a butt monitor up a nurses butt, Natsume forcefully kissing Kanba, more implied "wincest" between Kanba and Himari. XD
Episode 11) Semi-occult style frog face humping session part II, poisoning of drink for rape of Tabuki pt.II

Well, hope I wasn't being obnoxious and was able to add to the discussion! (=
Sep 30, 2011 8:40 AM
Mar 2011
Mary is the father, the three little lambs are Kamba, shoma, himari. The apple tree that withered is either the mother or another thing of importance that hasnt been mentioned.
Sep 30, 2011 9:04 AM

Aug 2009
Jazzalyn said:

A bit after the scene with the man on the phone, there were two men who got out of a van and nodded to each other. They both kind of look like older versions of Kanba and Shouma. So I'm guessing that those two are brothers maybe? I'm thinking one of those men was the one on the phone. So maybe - one of them died in the blast and adopted the others son? Which would make Kanba and Shouma cousins instead of brothers.

These two looked EXACTLY the same, as identical twins.

So probably Tabuki-dad had a twin or something??
Sep 30, 2011 9:05 AM
Sep 2010
Wow naked but only wearing kneesocks... sexy. :P And the music was fantastic.
Sep 30, 2011 9:43 AM

Jul 2008
Packing so much win in 23min... HOW DO DEY DO DAT?
Sep 30, 2011 10:13 AM

Aug 2010
THIS EPISODE...THE BIGGEST TURNING POINT MIDWAY THROUGH THE SERIES...UNBELIEVABLE!

I did NOT expect the parents to be the perpetrators. I did NOT expect the phone call to Kanba about the fated death to be that sudden. The scene between Kanba and Himari was so touching, I was sad AND mind blown from all this. The story with Mary and the three little lambs was incredibly compelling!

I couldn't keep my eyes off my screen the entire time. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE!
Sep 30, 2011 10:13 AM

Aug 2007
Orulyon said:
- Momoka might be Yuri? (so who is Mario and why is she with him?).
you mistook Masako for Yuri? Mario is Masako's brother and there's no connection between him and Yuri yet.

this is what Shoma says to Kanba. so we can assume that shoma is adopted and this is what i think, too. Ikuhara wouldn't give up on incest if it would kill him lol
suusuuSep 30, 2011 10:24 AM
Sep 30, 2011 10:29 AM

Jul 2008
ephemeralM said:
Orulyon said:
- Momoka might be Yuri? (so who is Mario and why is she with him?).
you mistook Masako for Yuri? Mario is Masako's brother and there's no connection between him and Yuri yet.

Yes he mixed some things up.

I would be more tempted to say that Momoka might be Yuri. Momoka's diary is fate and everything that happened in the book happened to Yuri.
The way she entered her apartment even though Tabuki wanted to do Ringo due to the drug suggest that she has been concious of Ringo's plan since the start
I saw their talk more like Yuri wanting Ringo to live her life and stop trying to be Momoka, a warning from a big sister to a little sister to stop following her in her shadow and instead walk alongside her.

There's a lot of unanswered question yet there is hint everywhere.
Sep 30, 2011 10:49 AM
Sep 2011
Mokoka's body was never found :P If fiction has taught me anything that means that she is still alive somewere
Sep 30, 2011 11:18 AM

Nov 2008
Here's something to think about for those who believe Yuri is Momoka.

Look closely at the picture of Momoka

Notice anything interesting about it? Like a birth mark of some sort on her chest?

Now if Yuri really was Momoka, she should have that mark too.

Unfortunately, I don't have episode 7 (the episode where Yuri was dressed in the lowest-cut dress we see her in), and the TV news article in Episode 8 has a microphone in the way of the important part, But I think I would remember seeing such a mark if she had one, so I think that Momoka = Masako is more likely.

Considering the circumstances, Mario could be somebody that Momoka found on the train with her and decided to look after, as there is a distinct possibility of Mario's parents dying in the attack to protect Mario. Or maybe Momoka protected Mario as his parents abandoned him to protect an older sister called Yuri?
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Sep 30, 2011 11:38 AM

Apr 2008
diadora said:
Jazzalyn said:

A bit after the scene with the man on the phone, there were two men who got out of a van and nodded to each other. They both kind of look like older versions of Kanba and Shouma. So I'm guessing that those two are brothers maybe? I'm thinking one of those men was the one on the phone. So maybe - one of them died in the blast and adopted the others son? Which would make Kanba and Shouma cousins instead of brothers.

These two looked EXACTLY the same, as identical twins.

So probably Tabuki-dad had a twin or something??

No, that's not it. If you look at the scene again, it's actually only their father, first nodding to one side, then nodding to the other.
Sep 30, 2011 11:45 AM

Apr 2011
Momoka (face not shown) = Himari (reincarnation)?

About adopted brother, maybe its Shou, because he doesn't look anything like his mom or dad.

Kanba has to be Himari sibling or else the motivation and emotions behind the incest love, will most its effect.
Sep 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Nov 2008
MapleRose said:

That kept bothering me too. I was thinking that maybe it was a typo, but since they kept repeating it, most likely not.
sexiji said:

So sad...

I loved that scene, so I had to pause it and get the screenshot!!!
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Sep 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Sep 2010
Hmm the penguin disappeared when Himari flat lined and died. So if Shou or Kanba dies then their respective penguin will die with them??
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 30, 2011 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
This episode further proves how great of a director Ikuhara is.

This show is fantastic.
Sep 30, 2011 12:01 PM
Jan 2011
7godeohs said:
IceBubbleTea said:

Yeah
Sep 30, 2011 12:03 PM

Sep 2011
Notice anything interesting about it? Like a birth mark of some sort on her chest?

I think that's the design on her shirt? I thought she might be wearing a necklace at first, but the" skin" below that line on her neck is paler than above. It does look kind of like the tip of that peach symbol though.
Sep 30, 2011 12:22 PM
Jun 2011
At least this explained the earlier scene where the penguin hat stuck her hand in kanba's chest. Also hasn't she been stripping from the very begining as part of the survival strategy transformation... that scene was not out of the place at all.

They never find something good in antartica do they? First it was the Thing then Tenshi Adam and now whatever otensibly turned Takakura dad into an eco terrorist. Also, can someone summarize Mary's story and what it implies a bit better? Is it foreshadowing a deal to be made with Sanetoshi? And if so can Shouma tell the future just like the diary can? Or was it something that happened before? Wtf is Shouma :O

This has to be the best new show in ages; not just this season.
spigotSep 30, 2011 12:28 PM
Sep 30, 2011 12:31 PM

May 2010
spigot said:
Sep 30, 2011 12:36 PM

Sep 2007
No one saw the reference at 3:00 ?
Dragon quest IV : 12 :

http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Maya
Sep 30, 2011 12:40 PM

Feb 2009
Probably the best ep so far. The show is really getting good now.

I feel bad for finding that scene at the end between the Penguin Queen and Kanba hot, but alas...
Sep 30, 2011 12:46 PM
Sep 2011
God. Amazing episode. I agree with the fact that Masako may = Momoka,

I mean there isn't no confirmed death of Momoka, and possibly after that incident Momoka may have lost her memory and cannot confirm what was her name and etc.

If so, it would fit since she now uses a weapon that erases everyone else's memory. e.o

LatteiSep 30, 2011 1:02 PM
Sep 30, 2011 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
nonlly said:
spigot said:

It's getting really good to be in the top for this year right now. If it's as mind-blowing and possibly better than Steins;Gate, then damn, it has to be. We just have to see. xD
Sep 30, 2011 1:45 PM

Aug 2010
wow some nice Kanba x Himari scenes, I guess the gas attack was replaced with huge scale explosions
I wonder where that mark on Tabuki's fingers are
holy freak I teared up so bad near the end O_O
Shouma going all trance was pretty cool too since it never happened before lol
THE PINK HAIRED DEVIL HAS REAPPEARED YET AGAIN O_O but seriously penguins and bunnies ._. way to integrate cute animals into a rather dramatic and complicated plot
but hey who's complaining right ;)
Sep 30, 2011 1:54 PM

Jan 2011
nonlly said:
spigot said:
[center]
Sep 30, 2011 1:56 PM

Jun 2009
FOEbulous-max said:
Here's something to think about for those who believe Yuri is Momoka.

Look closely at the picture of Momoka

Now if Yuri really was Momoka, she should have that mark too.

Unfortunately, I don't have episode 7 (the episode where Yuri was dressed in the lowest-cut dress we see her in), and the TV news article in Episode 8 has a microphone in the way of the important part, But I think I would remember seeing such a mark if she had one, so I think that Momoka = Masako is more likely.
Yeah, that's a shirt. But related to that, Episode 8 was when I first started to think that Yuri was Momoka because this is where Ringo lives:

And this is where Yuri lives:

Now, it's just suspicious on it's own that there's anything connecting Ringo and Yuri. Their only connection should be Tabuki. But the decoration on the door looks kind of like a peach to me. It might be a pretty big jump, but, from what little I can see of the illustration on Momoka's shirt, it looks like that also might be a peach... or an an upside-down heart. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but, like Ringo's name means apple, Momoka's name means peach.

Another possible peach:

Added irony if the Yuri = Momoka theory proves true:
Sep 30, 2011 2:19 PM

Nov 2009
wow so much imagery!!!!!!!!!! this episode was amazing. i dont really even know what to predict cuz i know its gonna ef up my mind in the end. i am really interested in shouma right now. whats his deal? i feel so bad for all of them...their lives are so tragic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2011 2:25 PM

Jan 2011

I came.
[center]
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.