Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2008 11:16 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If I had to describe this movie in one way it would be: Breakneck speed.

It rushes along so quickly, that scene upon scene soon becomes pointless to watch, because we're not given enough time to acknowledge what's going on, characters don’t have enough space to breathe, there's just not enough time. About midway through I started laughing at how ridiculously fast it was. For example when Megumi is introduced. Next scene she's pissed off with Kamina, next scene they're friends, absolutely no explanation given! The whole film is like a montage.

So this movie truly is only for people who've seen the TV series and who can accept this as a remix of sorts. It was only worth it for the new scenes, the new angle of approaching the story: that of giving away the whole reveal of the world outside Tokyo being fine and Haruka being older with short air, just reveal it all from the beginning and go on the journey from her eyes as opposed to Kamina's in the TV series.

This reminds me of the eternal "Akira movie sucks because they didn’t adapt the billion chapter manga into 124 minutes" debate. No, Akira doesn’t suck, its the epitome of how to adapt something very long by capturing its essence and creating something new at the same time without sacrificing coherency. I think the Rahxephon movie should have just done something new with the story instead of compacting it and rushing through it so quickly.

Also: lady with man's voice = hilarious. Did he honestly expect to live like that until his next reincarnation? As a tranny?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 9, 2009 6:03 PM

Jun 2007
Definitely agree about the rushed part. At the beginning I was like ...ok so it's going a little faster then expected.. and then after they blow through like 3 fights in 1 min and introduced like 6 people in 3 mins I couldn't take it seriously anymore. Even though the story had some alterations, this should really be considered a summary of the TV series and not a rehash. There's no way in hell anyone could understand what was going on or who half of those people where without seeing the TV series lol.

I loved the new footage. It gave a little more insight about the story as a whole. Happy the two got to share an intimate moment too ;).
Dec 1, 2009 10:26 AM

Apr 2008
It didn't feel -so- rushed to me, but that may because I watched the series recently. Either way, I loved it, when compared to the previous, and incoherent, work.

What's the problem with the movie? The fights secuences which didn't make much sense, as they were shown in between dialogues, and it wasn't clear how and when they started and ended.

It could've done it a lot better, reanimating the recycled parts and giving us the time to think with a few landscape scenes without dialogue.

At least they got rid of the symbols and explained it all beforehand, unlike the series which was very much written as it went.
// Hearts are wasted, lives are broken.
Apr 1, 2011 2:08 AM
Sep 2008
This movie is quite dissapointing I must say! After such a well made gigant puzzle anime in 26 episodes they come with this so called movie and destroyed the serie in 2 hours. Why they didn't make something new like showing it from Haruka's perspective at least? It was just cutting and editing.

If you haven't seen the anime yet probably this movie will make sense to you but if you had, then don't waste your time.
Sep 10, 2011 6:13 PM

Mar 2009
Lol @ the tranny part Beatnick.
Nov 7, 2011 11:17 AM

Jul 2007
For me that was a nice addition in seeing the whole picture. By no means it's worth a penny as a standalone, but as a special it's all good.
Also I started to like Haruka now, in TV series her motives were too unclear, she looked like a pushy bitch. But in movie she shines, I started to understand her much better.
Feb 16, 2013 5:47 PM

May 2010
Cleared up some confusion from the TV series. I actually liked it, I prefer the TV version because it didn't spoil the whole Reika is actually Haruka part. What happened in the ending?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 22, 2013 2:59 PM
Oct 2009
There really was not point to this movie I think. Most of it was a montage of scenes from the series. Which makes it so if you hadn't watched the series before this, you would be completely lost. At the same time, the movies moves at a ridiculously fast pace which makes it even harder to follow.

The new parts I actually disliked. If anything they made the story more confusing. And while they had a chance to fix some things that weren't so great with the plot, it's something they don't do.

They really should have gone at it with a more original story in mind. Adapting a 26 episode series into a 2 hour movie is not going to turn out well.

Also, the ending was bad. I liked the original where

*spoiler*

Kamina retunes the world in where the Mu never invaded or perhaps never existed - it's unclear and he and Mishima grew up together and married.

This new ending made less sense. It's unclear if he retuned it, because didn't the Rahxephon say it couldn't change the past? And even so, it jumps 60 years into the future where he's dead and for some reason their grandkid looks just like Mishima. And then Kamina pops up out of nowhere and she disappears. What?
Apr 22, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah the beginning was very jarring, especially once he left Tokyo Jupiter. All the stuff between him and Terra and struggling with Rahxephon was just gone or put in one or two short scenes that didn't make much sense.

What this movie did infinitely better was flesh out the relationship between Ayato and Haruka. It completely changed my opinion of her from the series. I wished they fleshed out their relationship more in the series.

Just for what they did with their relationship made me give the movie an 8/10.

However everyone is right on when you say you need to watch the series first to make any sense out of this movie and about how much they cut out with the other characters and the story itself.
May 30, 2013 12:33 AM
Jul 2010
Confucius said:
Cleared up some confusion from the TV series. I actually liked it, I prefer the TV version because it didn't spoil the whole Reika is actually Haruka part.

You are NOT supposed to watch this movie as a standalone. You are only supposed to watch this movie AFTER the 26 episodes of the TV series AND the Her and Herself/Thatness and Thereness special, so in theory that isn't a spoiler since you are supposed to already know the Haruka/Reika thing from the TV series. After you understand that this movie is merely a complementary to the TV series and NOT a replacement you can really get to enjoy it. I don't know why so many people are having so much trouble understanding this, really.

Here is the order in which you are supposed to watch RahXephon:

RahXephon (TV series) Episodes 1 - 13
RahXephon Interlude: Her and Herself/Thatness and Thereness
RahXephon (TV series) Episodes 1 - 26
RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio

As the cover of the A.D. Vision DVD puts it: The movie is an "encore" — in other words, an extra performance at the end of the series, rather than a replacement.
Jun 11, 2013 6:02 PM

May 2010
NFH said:
Confucius said:
Cleared up some confusion from the TV series. I actually liked it, I prefer the TV version because it didn't spoil the whole Reika is actually Haruka part.

You are NOT supposed to watch this movie as a standalone. You are only supposed to watch this movie AFTER the 26 episodes of the TV series AND the Her and Herself/Thatness and Thereness special, so in theory that isn't a spoiler since you are supposed to already know the Haruka/Reika thing from the TV series. After you understand that this movie is merely a complementary to the TV series and NOT a replacement you can really get to enjoy it. I don't know why so many people are having so much trouble understanding this, really.

Here is the order in which you are supposed to watch RahXephon:

RahXephon (TV series) Episodes 1 - 13
RahXephon Interlude: Her and Herself/Thatness and Thereness
RahXephon (TV series) Episodes 1 - 26
RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio

As the cover of the A.D. Vision DVD puts it: The movie is an "encore" — in other words, an extra performance at the end of the series, rather than a replacement.

People do not understand because according to MAL, this movie is an alternative version.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 6, 2013 6:49 PM

Jan 2013
I do agree that this should not be a substitute to the anime. If it was, I actually thought the story structure was much more generic in the film than in the TV series (Which in my opinion, is not generic at all).

But I love the idea that they had the story be expressed through Haruka, because (Especially after the ending of the TV series), she is one of my favorite, if not, favorite character of the series.
I actually think her love for Ayato is very loyal, and for some reason strikes a cord with me, I can't stop thinking about how their relationship turned out.
I never expected this series to actually be a love story with a small Evangelion twist (It's not as much of a rip off as people make it out to be).
I actually really liked this series a lot!

And when I watched the film, I just skipped over the parts from the series and only watched the new scenes, and by doing this, it really felt like that I was just watching how Haruka has been suffering all of this time trying to find Ayato, not as a Re-telling of Rahxephon.

It really cements the relationship in my opinion.
Also, you get to see Ayato and Haruka do it, which I didn't expect. :P

I'll have to re-watch the series some day, except focusing on how Haruka reacts in every scene.
I no longer think of her as a pedophile (Even though it's still a little immoral.)!

I highly recommend watching this after watching the TV series, it really does add to the story, despite the changes to the overall story they made in the film.
If you watch as "This is how Haruka is feeling throughout the series" it really makes it feel more romantic!
Personally the ending to the series was much better in my opinion, and quite touching!

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
KuandohanSep 6, 2013 7:20 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Jun 3, 2015 10:16 AM

Aug 2014
Kuandohan said:
It really cements the relationship in my opinion.
Also, you get to see Ayato and Haruka do it, which I didn't expect. :P

I'll have to re-watch the series some day, except focusing on how Haruka reacts in every scene.
I no longer think of her as a pedophile (Even though it's still a little immoral.)

She is not a pdophle since he is like 17-18. Its immoral to you, but its not immoral to others.
Jun 29, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
Can anyone please explain me the ending plsssssssss?
(1)first of all did ayato re-tunes this world as well or ending was just a dream?
(1) why their grandchildren looks like mishima?
(2)why grown up ayato of movie looks differ in the photo album from the grown up version of anime in the ending?
(3)wtf happen exactly when old mishima reverse back to 29 years self and ayato suddenly appear?

I don't get a shit and it's really depressing :(
Jan 16, 2017 10:05 PM

Oct 2012
It's a shame this movie had to be the one to rectify the single issue I had with the TV series; that is, the relationship and bond between Ayato and Haruka. The TV series just HAD to make everything messy by including a bunch of girls to add to Ayato's harem, which really started to feel like a slap in the face between any hopeful development between Ayato and Haruka. By streamlining some bits and diminishing the side characters by a ton, the romance finally shines even brighter! It just frustrates me that this movie conveyed this romance better in ~2 hours over the fucking 26 episode run-time. All they had to do was cut down on the cast and other distracting elements that really watered down the so-called romance the series aimed for and missed.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Sep 10, 2017 3:45 PM

Mar 2016
This movie version is spectacular. It's like another layer that falls over and drips between the lines of the TV series, subtly hinting at a more fine 'tuned' truth that is revealed after seeing both. It's on another level of genius if that was the intent, considering the overall theme of the franchise.
syncrogazerSep 10, 2017 4:53 PM
Jan 20, 2018 10:22 PM
Master of Cursed

Aug 2011
I watched this at an event with 0 context for what I was walking into and let me just say this was extremely confusing and rushed. I got the gist of it but it definitely needs the 26 episodes to let things get explained and sink it. It had potential and I liked the romance but the world building was extremely confusing because of the time constraint. Don't be like me and do not watch this before the series.

Jan 29, 2019 10:04 PM
Nov 2015
This is like Rahxephon: Explained. Everything I didn't understand in the anime is made clear here. I just didn't get the Tuning the World thing. I know how it can be accomplished but why people wish for it in the first place is beyond me.

Anyway, everything is pretty much chronological. For example, the big reveal about Haruka at the end of the anime is moved to the very first scenes. It helps me understand why Haruka treats Kamina like she does in the anime. Granted, the anime way of hiding everything till the end is more mysterious and kinda shocking, but because the anime is already too complicated as it is, I didn't respond to it as emotionally as I would hope.
Jan 31, 2021 2:16 PM

Feb 2012
This is really for people who've seen the series.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain me the ending?

R_TF - Jun 29, 2016

0 by R_TF »»
Jun 29, 2016 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.