Your fav fight?
Fav segment?
Fav character?
Why you would recommend it to others.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 2, 2007 4:21 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Favorite fight is Makunouchi's come-back fight. When he first uses the Dempsey roll. God like.

Ippo is definitely my fav char too. :)
Aug 2, 2007 7:05 PM

Jan 2007
Fave Fight: The Mashiba and that one guys fight in the 2nd movie
Fave Character: Ippo
I would recommend it to others because boxing is only exciting when watching live but HnI makes it exciting at home.
Aug 3, 2007 9:31 PM

Jul 2007
Sendo Ippo for the title
Ippo, I rewatched the series and decided he's my favorite

Because of the passion and character development of the show.
Aug 4, 2007 8:19 PM

Jul 2006
ippo is my fav character, but i got to give it up to his mentor... the heavy-weight guy, um... mamoru? so funny and it teared me up when he was trying to get his weight down. =( such a strong underrated character.

i dont really have a fav fight, but it would probably be ippo's first win.

and every one should watch this anime because up the wonderful mixture of violence, comedy and drama. the violence for the guys, the drama for the girls and the comedy for everyone. You never get bored and all the characters are well developed.
Aug 6, 2007 8:39 AM

Apr 2007
favorite seg: After ippo's first win when Takamura exposes Ippo to the ladies at the bar OR everytime when Ippo is out with Mashiba's Sis and remembers Mashiba.
favorite fight: Probably Ippo vs. Date Eiji
Favorite Character: Takamura

Aug 31, 2007 12:14 PM

Jun 2007
My favorite fight was without a doubt the Battle of the Hawks. There were just so many awesome parts, and Takamura's entire serious side was created and fleshed out during the lead-up to the fight. My favorite char is probably either Aoki (Broccoman mode!) or Kobashi, because I sympathize with no-talents like them the most.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Oct 4, 2007 8:53 AM
Apr 2006
Xinil said:
Favorite fight is Makunouchi's come-back fight. When he first uses the Dempsey roll. God like.

Ippo is definitely my fav char too. :)

Agreed, I mean I was rewatching the anime a couple of days ago and started of with that episode of the come back fight. It always gets to me.
Oct 7, 2007 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
Favorite Segment: Sendo vs Vorg fight, Ippo tries to enter to watch and gets harassed by Sendo fans. After Miyata comes to his rescue he starts talking about how he's been following his career and has posters and newspapers of him in his room which in turn creeps Miyata out.

Favorite Fight: Sendo vs. Vorg
- Why you ask? Well I think is a turning point for not just for Ippo but for Vorg and Sendo themselves. Both their resolves to win and what is hanging in the balance drive the fight into the best of the best.

Favorite Character: Vorg. Just the extent on how far he's willing to put himself out for his mother and learn new things. Not sure if my manga knowledge is bleeding into just the anime portion though so sorry if some of you are confused beyond reason about the "learning new things" part.

Oct 31, 2007 8:43 AM

Oct 2007
Your fav fight?
Ippo vs. Sendo Love the opening Depsy Roll. And the storms that happen when everyone starts to tap their feet is insane.

Fav segment?
When Takamura pulls of Ippo's towel for the first time in the shower and you hear the elephant roar. Can't help but giggle every time.

Fav character?
Ippo, of course.

Why you would recommend it to others?
It's as epic as Rocky but with more second-by-second action during the fights.
Apr 25, 2008 1:28 AM
Jul 2007
madashes2ashes said:
Your fav fight?
Ippo vs. Sendo Love the opening Depsy Roll. And the storms that happen when everyone starts to tap their feet is insane..

Sheer Adrenaline! There are epic fights, and there are epic fights... It's like... That track that plays when Ichigo comes flying in using that bone kite thing at the tower of silence, still injured but ready to take on two captains by himself even though Rukia told him not to come in the first place. Horatio at his bridge, or Jack Sparrow's theme track, or Kenichi Vs Odin ep 48-50 of Master Disciple. Take out the comedy and add Iron-will, determination, Spirit/Soul, a Possesing Beligerent friggen Demon Called GUTS!

Take the guy named Guts from Berserk, boil him down to his essence, split him in two and force feed him into two separate bodies. That's the Sendo Vs Ippo Title Match. In his search for the true meaning of strength this is where the answer could be found. I honestly think they should have ended the series here... This was the climax.

Ippo is my favorite character although Vorg and Sendo come in close behind. Vorg for being russian and Sendo for being Ippo's Shadow Clone Jutsu.... Lol, Kage no bunshin for you narutonuts out there(I refuse to say tards as I liked the series as well). Ippo was a shy fellow, a small man without the complaint and a dynamite punch. If ever a fisherman's son was more the gospel David I have yet to find the fellow.

What I'd say to someone who planned to watch the series

Ippo is a young man in search of the meaning of strength, what it means to be strong. Every man or woman worth so much as a bent penny has this goal at some point in their lives. To protect their friends, to find their purpose, to accomplish a goal, to better themselves... Hajime no Ippo is something I would show to my kid at a young age if I ever had the guts to approach a woman in the first place. True strength can't be measured with weights, it's a matter of determination and the heart. Sure you might lose but even in losing if you've given everything you have there is something to be learned. This anime shows that Very Clearly.

When he catches the leaves for Takimura near the beginning is the best example of the character. He hardens a bit and adds a shiney hero gloss here and there but in the end that kind of feeling is ippo's true soul, regardless of how big is trapazoids get. Hard working to a fault, happy even on the edge of collapse, like a horse he'll keep working until he dies... Bloody Loveable fool...
Apr 25, 2008 3:53 AM

Jan 2008
madashes2ashes said:
Your fav fight?
Ippo vs. Sendo Love the opening Depsy Roll. And the storms that happen when everyone starts to tap their feet is insane.

Fav segment?
When Takamura pulls of Ippo's towel for the first time in the shower and you hear the elephant roar. Can't help but giggle every time.

Fav character?
Ippo, of course.

Why you would recommend it to others?
It's as epic as Rocky but with more second-by-second action during the fights.

lol. the dempsey roll isnt as glamorous in real life. i tried in the actual boxing ring. my trainer ended up scolding me for doing something so stupid.

let me tell ya guys, it's not practical for a "real" boxing match.

i think i saw a vid of jack dempsey doing it. cept it didnt include all the cool whoosh whoosh and high speed sounds :]
Apr 25, 2008 4:33 AM

Jul 2006
LOL!!!

i laughed so hard... i didnt think anything about HnI was practical o_o
Apr 25, 2008 12:28 PM
Jul 2007
The theory's ok but never figured it would actually work all that well. The left to right synchro is just too easy to get ahead of and smack the guys face in. If they aren't punch drunk after the first hit or two you'd be screwed.

Still if dempsey pulled it off on a regular basis then regardless of how stupid it may look obviously there is something to it. Even if it is just show boating on his part because he's good enough to get away with a less effecient and possibly stupid technique.

The idea is to win, the only reason it was practical for him is because he was so bloody short. Same thing for ippo... At least that's what I was thinking to myself anyway.

Anyhew, no way I'm arguing with a real boxer :)
Apr 25, 2008 12:30 PM

Jul 2006
if anyone wants to post vids of these moves in practical use, then please do so... i would be super interested.
Apr 25, 2008 5:13 PM

Sep 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2DPGFWT_Zc

At the :37 mark. It was practical considering how unrefined the sport was back then. You'll also notice that it's not nearly as exaggerated as in HnI lol
Apr 25, 2008 5:26 PM

Jul 2006
damn, that looked painful. but ok, i see it now... the move does seem a bit slow for today's boxing.

thanks, weird avy-san o_o
Apr 25, 2008 6:05 PM

Sep 2007
I think it would just have to be placed and timed properly. It's not something I would lead off with right out of the gate, but if you have a deeper tank than your opponent then it's something that could really clean up in later rounds. I've seen Ernesto Hoost use combinations very similar to the dempsey roll in K1 before.

The main problem I think Dempsey would have in the current boxing world is all the ppl who clinch and count points rather than think about KO's.
Apr 25, 2008 7:22 PM

Jan 2008
I love the remade recap Ippo vs Sendo fight from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebDMtitufk

SO. AWESOME.
Apr 25, 2008 7:45 PM

Jul 2006
i cant stand how truly great this series is, i want to rewatch but im afraid i may change my opinion
Apr 25, 2008 7:50 PM

Jan 2008
I've rewatched before. It's great no matter how many times I've seen it. I only favorite rewatchable animes, and this is one of my favs. I wish they would continue the series. I still need to catch up with the manga.
Apr 25, 2008 8:27 PM
Mar 2008
Ippo is my fav
I have two favorite fights 1. ippo vs. that guy from thailand 2. the second match between ippo and rocky

This is a great anime because it makes you look at yourself like " do i give my all to obtain a goal?" and also it teaches you alot about respect for one another and sacrifice. There is a bunch messages in that anime.
Apr 25, 2008 8:52 PM

Jan 2008
redboi said:

This is a great anime because it makes you look at yourself like " do i give my all to obtain a goal?" and also it teaches you alot about respect for one another and sacrifice. There is a bunch messages in that anime.

I think those messages are in almost every sports anime. o.O;;
Apr 25, 2008 9:10 PM

Jan 2008
dempsey roll is all show. not a smart move to use. speaking from experience, it leaves u wide open.

it hurts. i kno :]
Apr 26, 2008 5:11 AM

Apr 2008
Fav Fight - Ippo vs Sendo
Fav Character - Mamoru Takamura - hes over funny
Apr 26, 2008 5:33 AM

Sep 2007
ippo vs sendo in the film.
Apr 27, 2008 3:13 AM

Nov 2007
byi42 said:
dempsey roll is all show. not a smart move to use. speaking from experience, it leaves u wide open.

i haven't seen a real boxing match w/ the boxers using dempsey roll. i think that move's kinda absurd cause you need to move a lot.xD

Apr 27, 2008 4:50 AM

Sep 2007
Your fav fight? Takamura Vs Bear
Fav character? Takamura and Ippo

is the best sports boxing anime..
Apr 27, 2008 8:21 PM
Sep 2007
I always thought that this show looked retarded and that i would never ever watch it but i watched one episode one rainy afternoon and it turned out to be the most exciting anime i have ever watched. The Music cues in at great moments just giving your skin the goosebumps as Ippo passes another suspenseful moment. and im pretty sure that i cheered out loud at one point.
Apr 27, 2008 9:13 PM
Mar 2008
MistaCloudStrife said:
redboi said:

I think those messages are in almost every sports anime. o.O;;

Yeah you are right about that.
Apr 27, 2008 9:29 PM

Sep 2007
But few other sports animes get that message across nearly as well. I get kind of tired of the typical "worthless" protagonist who magically wins everything just because of a burst of will power.

I think Ippo was a far more realistic portrayal of that type of character. He was somewhat timid, but usually he was game and ready to throw down. I found this a lot more enjoyable to watch rather than some guy who is crying the entire time until the very end when he magically goes from 0 to 110% in typical shounen fashion.

It was more like Ippo hovered around 70% or so and then jumped up to 100% which is just a more natural transition.
Apr 28, 2008 12:42 PM

Jul 2006
its weird, but something about ippo's character makes people want to root for him.

when, lets say, with oofuri's main, some of you said you couldnt stand him. and personally with major's main, i often think he's a pompous jerk. tho i still like watching him kick ass or get beaten.
Apr 28, 2008 3:09 PM

Sep 2007
I think it's also why I liked Echizen from Prince of Tennis alot. He was already skilled from the beginning so it's a lot easier for me to identify with someone who's already good trying to be the best rather than someone who sucks at everything until they pull the magical willpower instant win trick.
Apr 29, 2008 1:24 AM

Aug 2007
Ippo is the best sports anime out there!
My favourite character is Ippo and Takamura!
And the best fight is the second fight against Miyata and the fights against Sendo!
Apr 29, 2008 11:23 AM

Jan 2008
June said:
Discuss the greatness of this anime.

Your fav fight?
Fav segment?
Fav character?
Why you would recommend it to others.

haven't finished it yet...only on ep 35

but my fav fight so far was ippo vs. sendo/ mashiba vs. ippo

fav segment: when ippo first met takamura and he's trying to get ten leaves...and when they went camp hehe

fav character: IPPO!

why recommend: cuz it's one of the best anime out there
Apr 29, 2008 11:26 AM

Jan 2008
June said:
its weird, but something about ippo's character makes people want to root for him.

yea...it's cuz he's just a simple guy that's determined to do what he wants to achieve

and the fact that he helps his mom...that's just one cool guy
Apr 29, 2008 5:05 PM

Apr 2008
The second fight Sendo is favorite and even thought the Dempsey Roll is not efficient in real life it sure looks damn cool when Ippo is doing, it sounds like a plane.

I saw the movie yesterday, it was good but it leaves you wanting more :<<<.
Apr 30, 2008 5:57 PM

Jan 2008
I am watching it right now ^.^ lets see, Im on the ep right after he owns the guy with no eyebrows, the cheap headbutt fighter.
๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ.
May 10, 2008 6:21 PM

Jan 2008
linnah-chan said:
byi42 said:

i haven't seen a real boxing match w/ the boxers using dempsey roll. i think that move's kinda absurd cause you need to move a lot.xD

i've seen it once on a tape my coach gave me. looks really dumb and could really get u a knock to the head. nonetheless really cool in the anime series.

don't do it. i did. i regret it
Oct 22, 2010 8:41 AM

Oct 2010
mm favorite fight sendo vs ippo the first time .. when sendo strides over and ippo is bricking it > man love that scene

favorite segment err possibly dantés fight vs ricardo from new challenger i thought that it was one of the most touching fights throughout the animes (although definitly sawamura vs mashiba in the manga)

err favorite character miyata but i also love sendo and itagaki

on a side note the reason you dont see the dempsey roll much in real boxing is because its creator jack dempsey was an active boxer during the early 1900s and its a sketchy technique by now days standards so not alot of coaches teach it.
Oct 23, 2011 4:28 AM
Aug 2011
fave char: takamura
fight: ippo vs vorg epic fight
segment : the "big mara ippo" scene
Oct 3, 2012 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
Fav character : Sendo
Fav fight : Sendo Vs Ippo
May 14, 2013 12:49 AM

Jan 2013
If by Hajime no Ippo you mean only the first season:
fav.fight- Ippo vs Date
fav.char- Takamura
fav.seg- when takamura think ippo's **** is small but when he takes the towel off he gets surprised.
All of Hajime no Ippo season's + OVA:
fav.fight- Takamura vs Hawk
fav.char- Takamura
fav.seg - same as before.
Do you like anime with wimpy main character ?

My Anime Policy:
Give an anime at least 5 episodes before deciding it's worth it or not.
Jul 9, 2013 1:16 AM
Oct 2011
My favorite fight will be taken from the manga randy boy jr vs miyata
From the anime probably takamura vs hawk was one hell of a fight

Favorite character well hard to decide
Miyata-takamura-ippo

The way they made the anime and manga is exciting,each fight is well made and interesting.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Apply for Staff

Mayuka - Nov 25, 2015

12 by Mayuka »»
May 14, 2018 10:41 AM

» Running/Track & Field

Dodecahedron-O24 - Apr 17, 2014

8 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 )

June - Dec 5, 2007

139 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:36 PM

» First Anime? ( 1 2 )

June - Jul 29, 2007

73 by Noene »»
Nov 19, 2017 7:29 PM

» Sports anime/manga that inspired you to play the game?

Vivie - Nov 25, 2015

40 by Mishina »»
Jun 29, 2017 4:52 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.