40 votes
Jul 11, 2008 8:12 PM

Jan 2008
Spotlight Manga: Claymore

MAL Series Information Page: Claymore

MAL Score - 8.74 (by 2308 users)
Ranked - #13
Popularity #13

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION YOU DECIDE POLL (03/10/2015)

Claymore was NOT inducted into the club Manga list: 48%
- Yes: 12
- No: 13
- I haven't read this manga: 41
~ Abstained: 5

Resurrection You Decide results:

Claymore (Manga) (22/04/18)
- Yes: 5
- No: 14
- I haven't read this manga: 32
~ Abstained: 4

- 26%
TruePeinApr 29, 2018 9:21 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 12, 2008 2:32 AM

Feb 2008
I disliked the anime but I know the manga is much better. I don't think I'll bother with reading it just for the sake of being in on the decision.
Jul 12, 2008 3:44 AM

Jan 2008
Well you can always start where the anime deviated from the manga and essentially went to crap. (around episode 20)

I think that pretty much would mean you'd start reading the manga at chapter 50.

Jul 12, 2008 4:40 AM

Feb 2008
How are the fighting scenes in the manga? 'Cause they blew in the anime.
Jul 12, 2008 5:54 AM

Feb 2005
Art - 8
Yagi continues on with his trademark style from Angel Densetsu, but as Claymore progress, so does the art grow more detailed. Much attention is given to the backgrounds, towns and forests especially look rather good. The Awakened Beings all look properly monstrous and badass, and characters sports a wide range of believable expressions. Still, the art is rather simple when compared to titles like Berserk and Blade of The Immmortal.

Characters - 9
The various Claymores encountered through the story all have their distinctive traits, both in design and personality, although there are times when some "random background characters" show up, in particular during the Pieta arc.
There are also plenty of badass characters, with almost every ally and enemy representing some sort of badassery. Badass is an important keyword here.
It is also brilliant to see noteworthy characters with distinctive personalities suddenly vanish or die, leaving the reader with shock and surprise.

Story - 9
Starting off with some few "Monster of the week" arcs, the story gradually shifts to a flashback and then goes on to unveil the apparent villains and their links with the main character. Various twists and turns further reveals a war between the Awakened, the suspicious machinations of the Organization and the surprising truth behind the "world" they claim to protect. Plenty of twists and turns and shocking deaths awaits at every corner and might jump out from the very next page, showing off a brilliant example of how to suspend the reader in excitement until the next chapter.

Enjoyment - 10
Not as deep, dark or detailed as Berserk, but merely being this close is more than enough for making a brilliant manga.
BamanJul 12, 2008 5:57 AM
Jul 12, 2008 8:23 AM

Sep 2007
I only really liked episodes 20-FIN, so if that's where the anime went 'crap', then the manga really isn't worth reading further.

Or rather not to my tastes, since it's seinen. It's too similar to the Berserk, another manga series I dropped because it was just too boring.

Edit: ...okay, because this sounds wrong. I liked both anime, mostly for the betrayal / secret / hidden intentions part. I didn't like the Berserk manga for certain reasons this isn't the place to discuss, and I dropped Claymore because it followed the anime a bit too closely - but it seems like my favourite arc isn't even in it.
KiralyJul 12, 2008 8:27 AM
Jul 12, 2008 2:04 PM

Sep 2007
I've gotta be honest, I think this is too early for Claymore to be spotlighted. The story seems like it is about to make a transition to a larger story scope and I think this new direction is the make-or-break point for Claymore being more than a simple enjoyable diversion.

Art - 8
Really no complaints. Things look good and are easy to understand. Compared with other titles like Berserk or Gantz though, I just can't go any higher.

Characters - 7
There's a pretty good variety of characters and techniques in this story and they are all pretty distinctive not only in their styles but also personalities. I think the Clare x Raki thing is a bit cliche and same goes for Riful and her oafish sidekick. While none of the characters individually make a big impression on me, the sheer number of them keeps things interesting.

Story - 8
A lot of people are originally directed to this series with a phrase such as "Hey check out this manga, it's like Berserk except with a female lead". While the story is actually more original than that, it has yet to really come into it's own I think. The initial premise has a lot of potential and I like how the scope of the story has grown, but I feel like everything up to ch 85 or so has merely been a prologue for the real story that's about to start. I think the new direction the story is taking will be the point when Claymore makes a solid impression and earns its own fanbase rather than settling for being one of the stories people read while waiting for the next Berserk release.

Enjoyment - 9
I actually watched the anime first and only decided to read the manga after hearing the ending completely parted from the manga. It's hard to say whether it's because I saw the anime first, but similar to Death Note, I like the anime adaptation much much better than the manga...up until the ending that is. The anime had beautiful animation and the perfect soundtrack which really just brought the story out. I think reading the manga was more pleasurable for me because I had seen the anime first.

Overall - 8
Honestly I think Claymore has yet to raise itself out of the Berserk waiting room magazine rack with other manga like Ares and Ubel Blatt. While I really like Claymore, to me it's just an enjoyable story I read while I wait for Berserk. It's really hard for me to give this an accurate judgment because while Claymore does pale horribly compared to Berserk, compared to other mature shounen stories out there, Claymore is one of the best. I really think it's just too early for Claymore and based on the story so far, I'm probably gonna have to vote no.

Jul 12, 2008 9:42 PM

Feb 2008
Well I do really enjoy read claymore, and quite impressed with the art. But somehow I still feel something missing when I read it and I don't know why. ahhh well it's just me. overall this title is a good title, with a good story, a good art, quite good characters (for explanation, read BM post above me, it's all the same...and yeah the stories till now just lika an intro to something that more bigger that will happen)
Jul 13, 2008 3:11 AM

Jul 2007
Ancalyme said:
Or rather not to my tastes, since it's seinen.

Actually, it's shounen.

BlackMagic said:
I've gotta be honest, I think this is too early for Claymore to be spotlighted. The story seems like it is about to make a transition to a larger story scope and I think this new direction is the make-or-break point for Claymore being more than a simple enjoyable diversion.

Yeah. Many people regret the existence of the latter half of Death Note. We still don't know if Claymore will follow the same path.
Jul 13, 2008 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
Claymore, eh?
Well, it's been a while since I last read it. Don't remember why I stopped. Well, anyway, when I did read it, I really enjoyed it. It has good art, but it's not that good (like Gantz f.e.). It's got a fairly interesting story, very good characters(although I hate Raki very much), and as I said, it's very enjoyable. I could write a review, but then I would just repeat everything Baman said. I'm quite torn about the Yes/No vote here, seeing as I feel like we've only seen the surface of Claymore. It can become so much better, and also so much worse.

Jul 15, 2008 3:17 PM

May 2007
BlackMagic said:

Agreed 100%. At the moment, Claymore is pretty good and has good potential. But where the manga currently stands, its at a point where things can get REALLY good or go downhill rather quickly.
Apr 15, 2018 12:03 PM
Oct 2012
Its been ages since this finished, I don't really remember it all that specific but I do remember the plot dropping off towards the end of the manga and I was gradually getting less and less interested, a few BS power ups at the end if I recall.

Its a cool manga, I like the art work and its a great action flick, but there are certainly better reads out there, an obvious one would be Berserk or perhaps Vinland sega which do more with their characters whilst being a good action flick.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.