Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2011 8:30 AM

Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dear lord that was gory as all get out ...

Can't believe Amon ate the little demon-girl O_o That was freaking brutal. To say nothing of the little brother character getting BOOM! Headshotted with a crossbow and decapitated right before the unfortunate girlfriend gets the same treatment. Small wonder Amon went on a murderous rampage.

Then Amon beats the shit out himself for 'Satan's amusement. For some reason Akira just walks away, even though I thought his old buddy was the one who'd been riling everyone up against him and could be blamed for Miki's gruesome death.

I suppose this is one of those anime which isn't meant to be watched independent of the manga ... I got that this was in the future from the other OVAs, where demons have largely reconquered the Earth and Akira's friend has apparently become the lord of demons, Satan. But the context of all this blood and gore is a bit lost on me. Ah well, some nice action and good shocking gore. I'll have to get ahold of a real dubbed or subbed version, the fansub I got was machine-subbed (or done in China) and unreadable.
Apr 4, 2015 1:01 PM
Nov 2014
i'm probably one of the few people that really liked this. i won't deny it, i found the gore really entertaining. but what impressed me is that for a short ova with tons of extreme violence, there were some really poignant moments. akira's grief and rage at the death of his great love was well done. his despair as he held mika's head was really convincing, which is quite an achievement given this is a cartoon.

my only complaint is that the ending was very rushed and rather anti climatic. i had to do a fair bit of web research to make sense of it. i would have rated this 8/10 but the conclusion was weak so i deducted a point.
Nov 22, 2015 1:02 PM

Dec 2009
The ending rushed? I felt like the entire thing was rushed. All three OVAs have so much time in between them that it makes me feel really disconnected from the plot. It goes from the birth of Devilman, to suddenly Devilman as a hero of justice that has personal vendettas with demons that we don't even know, to an apocalyptic setting where the existence of demons is known to all and demons hide as humans, not to mention that Akira supposedly organized a Devilman association for people like him.

The supporting characters we knew get killed within the first 15 minutes like it's nothing. I mean, why even stay living there if the entire population of the city has turned into paranoid murderers? It's not like they didn't know this could happen by now. It's odd that they just happened to pick that house in particular to raid though, probably just plot convenience. And then you have sidekicks Miko and Yumi, both characters nobody really care about, because they received zero character development or attention at all.

The ending itself gave us little to nothing. So Ryo is Satan, or did he just awaken as him during that ritual thing in his basement? If so, why do the demons acknowledge him as the actual Satan? Makes you think he's the real deal. But in the end Akira abruptly defeats Amon with the power of love, comes back as himself, jump cut to some thunder going on, Akira and Ryo meet, they have a staring content and then just walk away. That's the conclusion we have to work with.

And it's a pity, because I do feel like the story has the potential to be good. While watching this, there were a few scenes where I started becoming a bit positive, thinking it wasn't all that bad, but more than often it just didn't do it for me at all. The second OVA was going the right way, but they went back to making little sense in this follow-up unfortunately, due to its rushed narrative. Perhaps together with the knowledge of the manga, this could be a more enjoyable, but as a stand-alone experience, it doesn't really work that well. I hope that perhaps one day we will get an improved adaptation of this story.
Nuky93Nov 22, 2015 1:06 PM
Oct 27, 2016 12:51 PM

Oct 2014
wtf this has nothing to do with the manga!
Feb 11, 2017 5:06 PM

Feb 2013
Miki didn't deserve to end like that.
Jul 16, 2017 10:10 AM

Dec 2012
Akira was dressed like a prostitute! lol

I liked the other OVAs more.
Oct 11, 2018 5:11 PM

Oct 2015
Tera being shot with an arrow on the head and Miki being slashed was the most brutal thing ever, especially when they took her head and stuck it into a spike. But the battle by Akira and Amon was good, Akira taking over the fight from Amon was pretty badass. I also thought when Akira went toe to toe with Asuka they would fight but he just passed like he was not there.

Although the violence is over the top I liked it.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 17, 2019 10:37 AM
Sep 2018
Nuky93 said:
The ending rushed? I felt like the entire thing was rushed. All three OVAs have so much time in between them that it makes me feel really disconnected from the plot. It goes from the birth of Devilman, to suddenly Devilman as a hero of justice that has personal vendettas with demons that we don't even know, to an apocalyptic setting where the existence of demons is known to all and demons hide as humans, not to mention that Akira supposedly organized a Devilman association for people like him.

The supporting characters we knew get killed within the first 15 minutes like it's nothing. I mean, why even stay living there if the entire population of the city has turned into paranoid murderers? It's not like they didn't know this could happen by now. It's odd that they just happened to pick that house in particular to raid though, probably just plot convenience. And then you have sidekicks Miko and Yumi, both characters nobody really care about, because they received zero character development or attention at all.

The ending itself gave us little to nothing. So Ryo is Satan, or did he just awaken as him during that ritual thing in his basement? If so, why do the demons acknowledge him as the actual Satan? Makes you think he's the real deal. But in the end Akira abruptly defeats Amon with the power of love, comes back as himself, jump cut to some thunder going on, Akira and Ryo meet, they have a staring content and then just walk away. That's the conclusion we have to work with.

And it's a pity, because I do feel like the story has the potential to be good. While watching this, there were a few scenes where I started becoming a bit positive, thinking it wasn't all that bad, but more than often it just didn't do it for me at all. The second OVA was going the right way, but they went back to making little sense in this follow-up unfortunately, due to its rushed narrative. Perhaps together with the knowledge of the manga, this could be a more enjoyable, but as a stand-alone experience, it doesn't really work that well. I hope that perhaps one day we will get an improved adaptation of this story.

This guy gets it. This OVA was horrible (personally I never finished it) and his last sentence depresses me so much because the "improved adaptation of this story" we one day get is Devilman Crybaby which cuts out a lot from the manga and is in some ways a worse adaptation.
May 24, 2020 6:00 PM
May 2019
Felt rather lackluster and rushed. Though, the massive amount of gore and action sort of makes up for it in a way.
Feb 7, 2021 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Kowareta99 said:
Felt rather lackluster and rushed. Though, the massive amount of gore and action sort of makes up for it in a way.

I agree with this, lackluster and rushed to hell, but definitely brutal. Overall a disappointment on almost every level
Feb 15, 2021 10:39 PM
Feb 2021
There was certainly an intent here, But the execution fell really flat.
The first two OVA's were solidly directed and animated, This felt like it was trying to do something on a similar scale, But they didn't have the means to, Like a fan film.
As a fan of violence, The only scene I would say was actually done well was the scene with Miki's brother dying and Miki walking in on his decapitated head.
It felt very stark and real, Unlike the rest of the OVA which just felt like a collection of scenes from a film student's college reel.
Poorly animated, Awful music that didn't fit and no direction made for a very unpleasant experience.
Apr 24, 2021 7:58 AM

Apr 2009
lol, wasn't sure what to expect of this one; the sex was obvious from the first monster fight, but seeing how short Tare-chan lasted, i predicted rape would be coming next, lol.

oh, well, no rape then, how nice.
felt a bit short, but considering the runtime, i guess it covered what it felt it needed to cover?
very violence, in the end it was kinda "so... why was this happening?"
eh, still better than devilman lady though.

lol- looking through the other comments here; i never realized this OVA was supposed to be related to the previous two _XD!
KonaniApr 24, 2021 8:32 AM
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Jun 3, 2021 1:15 PM
Aug 2020
This ova holds a special place in my heart, as being one of the only anime I've ever given a 1/10.
Aug 26, 2021 2:46 AM

Jul 2014
Meh. Kinda disappointing as someone who really loved the portion of the manga this was based on. Feels undercooked. I will say that it's got some standout imagery, though.
Take care of yourself

Sep 19, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2021
This movie is an epic that tells in the best way the tragedy of akira fudo and ryo, my personal experience with this movie was what contributed to me enjoying the entire work of devilman so much and I will always follow the material thanks to this work that introduced to this extraordinary fiction that will never cease to be incredible.

More topics from this board

» Should I finish Amon: Devilman Mokushiroku?

WhiteWolfKiba - Feb 3, 2019

5 by Konani »»
Apr 24, 2021 8:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.