Forum Settings
Forums

Urobuchi Gen Mentions Next Development of Madoka Magica

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 20, 2011 12:49 PM

Aug 2007
I really want a second season. Waiting for more news.

KyubeyMittens said:
I say we go the Pretty Cure route.

I hope not. Precure is good, but too many season will ruin the anime. For Madoka and precure. I hope is only one another season, not too many
minimiauSep 20, 2011 12:53 PM
Sep 20, 2011 1:29 PM

May 2011
They're making More Madoka Magica stuff?

Either it's just That good, or they Really don't wanna let Madoka go... o.0
Sep 20, 2011 1:42 PM

May 2008
dtshyk said:

Urobuchi: Possible. We won't let Madoka go.

Good. I wouldn't either.

AWWW YEEEAAA!
Sep 20, 2011 1:47 PM

Apr 2010
Sep 20, 2011 2:07 PM

Jul 2010
Considering how weird the last part of the last episode was with demon fighting Homura out of nowhere, a sequel to figure out what the hell that was all about would be nice.

I enjoyed the first season, I wouldn't mind another one. I'm going to wait until I actually see an episode before I throw it under the bus, or raise it on a pedestal.
Sep 20, 2011 2:10 PM

Jun 2009
Not sure what to think about it. I'd normally assume it's just milking the franchise, but on the other hand it's Urobuchi so...
But honestly i think i would be more happy for new original anime by Gen or something...
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 20, 2011 2:12 PM
Dec 2009
Homestuck said:
I enjoyed the first season, I wouldn't mind another one. I'm going to wait until I actually see an episode before I throw it under the bus, or raise it on a pedestal.

What do you mean by that exactly?

Sep 20, 2011 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
kandiiyuutaamu said:
Homestuck said:

What do you mean by that exactly?

I mean I'm not going to deem the sequel a good or bad anime until I actually see it.
Bizarre concept I know.
Sep 20, 2011 2:14 PM
Dec 2009
Nachotee said:
I hope they make a sequel, it would make so many people mad ahahahah.

Me too! I also want that kind of thing to happen and i really wanna see how they're gonna react by the time this anime is gonna come out.

Sep 20, 2011 2:24 PM

Feb 2009
Maddo_scientisto said:
I see zero problem with milking what make money, in the other end there is only something positive out of it for everyone.

Except for the fact that the story is complete. Any continuation would be pointless and stupid. It is highly unlikely that any positive outcome will come from a possible sequel. Of yourse people make money from anime. The issue is whether an author has the pride to leave a successful and FINISHED work intact, or gives in to his greed, produces a sequel that leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.

Maddo_scientisto said:
A sequel do not destroy a franchise

Tell that to the author of Kannagi. Or just mention School Rumble anywhere.

Maddo_scientisto said:
People that usually think like that can not separate a work from a franchise and associate everything related to the franchise as a whole.

Consider this: you have a tree that only has one branch that grows apples, the other 15 branches have never grown a single fruit at all. You are basically saying that you can't say that the tree is useless, since it has one single branch that has some frutis on it? People usually cut down trees like this and burn them away and plant a new tree instead. You cannot separate the different parts from each other because they make a whole together. But opposed to this a manga spin-off, a drama CD, a spin-off game to an anime series cannot be considered as the same level as an anime sequel.

Maddo_scientisto said:
On the other hand it got the advantage of running on it's predecesor's hype which will in return hugely increase the sales whatever the outcome is. I heard some people saying that it was a cheap trick to make money. It is not cheap but it is indeed a trick to make money

I agree with this.

Maddo_scientisto said:
and that's not only what the studio want but it is also what we, as anime lover, want.

Not, if the outcome is far worse than the original was. Who wants to see a show and its characters abused.

Maddo_scientisto said:
More profit = more budget for other show = a more satisfying watching experience for us.

Tell that the guys at J.C. Staff. They basically spout out random shows(wich are mostly bad adaptations), and if any is successful, they produce sequels that are more shittier than the originals. Quantity =/= Quality. But it's not just J.C. Staff. Take Shaft for example. They had YEARS before the actual production of Madoka. They had a fair amount of profit from Bakemonogatari. They basically had everything to produce a great animation. And what did we get? This:

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/ea/eaec1de4471f09324fd61e18ba44eddbe2519baf_full.jpg

I'm not saying Madoka was bad at all. But it could have been better considering the amount of time and the amount of money behind it. But a sequel in this case IS a bad idea. And since Gen can't into SoL, the only suitable "continuation" would be a prequel or the animation of the alternate timelines. But they won't be good as the original. Ever.
Sep 20, 2011 2:28 PM

Jan 2010
Gonna be hard to top the first season, but since it's Urobuchi, he might be able to do it.
Sep 20, 2011 2:46 PM

Mar 2011
belatkuro said:
My body is ready.
Sep 20, 2011 2:51 PM

May 2011
They have a huge standard to fulfill. Hopefully they don't ruin the potential second season.
Sep 20, 2011 2:56 PM

Apr 2010
Do you thing, I'l wait :| realy im not patient.... lets go....

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 20, 2011 2:57 PM

Aug 2008
Sounds like We're going to milk the series foreva muahahahaha... Like Evangelion does... What with all this Eva 2.0, 2.22, etc movie retakes... New characs and stuff story too... Well I dun mind as long as the essence of the anime is kept

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2011 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting. I won't say this is a good or bad thing yet. It's not even a full announcement. It still sounds like a "yeh maybe" to me. Urobuchi's writing has been pretty strong so far so I'll trust him to come up with an idea worth doing. It's gonna have alot of expectation to live up to though.
Sep 20, 2011 3:39 PM

Sep 2010
This is interesting, according to news from reliable source like ANN, Madoka's script was actually done 3 years ago[1] and having Urobochi Gen doing another work for Madoka isn't that surprising at all, especially how the series is generating tons of money.

[1]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/interview/2011-09-07/interview-atsuhiro-iwakami
Sep 20, 2011 4:01 PM
Oct 2010
will wait for more news. not sure if want alt setting of madoka
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Sep 20, 2011 4:03 PM

Jul 2008
Radzeer said:
Maddo_scientisto said:
I see zero problem with milking what make money, in the other end there is only something positive out of it for everyone.

Except for the fact that the story is complete. Any continuation would be pointless and stupid. It is highly unlikely that any positive outcome will come from a possible sequel. Of yourse people make money from anime. The issue is whether an author has the pride to leave a successful and FINISHED work intact, or gives in to his greed, produces a sequel that leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth.

As far as I know it was never stated to be a direct sequel to the first season.

A story is composed of an introduction, different(s) problem(s), a solution to the(se) problem(s) and a conclusion.
It is not like we saw what happen to Homura for the rest of her life, saying that it is a final conclusion is a bit hard because actually it's quite the opposite: The show gave us a few questions by the end and didn't answer some others. By exploiting these questions it is possible to develop a very good sequel, the rest is up to the author.

Radzeer said:

Maddo_scientisto said:
People that usually think like that can not separate a work from a franchise and associate everything related to the franchise as a whole.

Consider this: you have a tree that only has one branch that grows apples, the other 15 branches have never grown a single fruit at all. You are basically saying that you can't say that the tree is useless, since it has one single branch that has some frutis on it? People usually cut down trees like this and burn them away and plant a new tree instead. You cannot separate the different parts from each other because they make a whole together. But opposed to this a manga spin-off, a drama CD, a spin-off game to an anime series cannot be considered as the same level as an anime sequel.

That is a bad comparaison in the sense that it isn't really compareable. According to this a guy should leave his woman to find another one if she can't have children? That's a very streched analogy but still.
I'll be more clear on what I meant: If you like a show, you do not have to care about it's whole franchise. By that I mean that even if you think that the rest of the franchise is pure garbage it shouldn't affect your apreciation of the first season and if it does it is because you are doing something wrong.

Radzeer said:

Maddo_scientisto said:
and that's not only what the studio want but it is also what we, as anime lover, want.

Not, if the outcome is far worse than the original was. Who wants to see a show and its characters abused.

Maddo_scientisto said:
More profit = more budget for other show = a more satisfying watching experience for us.

Tell that the guys at J.C. Staff. They basically spout out random shows(wich are mostly bad adaptations), and if any is successful, they produce sequels that are more shittier than the originals. Quantity =/= Quality. But it's not just J.C. Staff. Take Shaft for example. They had YEARS before the actual production of Madoka. They had a fair amount of profit from Bakemonogatari. They basically had everything to produce a great animation. And what did we get? This:

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/ea/eaec1de4471f09324fd61e18ba44eddbe2519baf_full.jpg

I'm not saying Madoka was bad at all. But it could have been better considering the amount of time and the amount of money behind it. But a sequel in this case IS a bad idea. And since Gen can't into SoL, the only suitable "continuation" would be a prequel or the animation of the alternate timelines. But they won't be good as the original. Ever.

That's a bit early to say that.

Also taking Jc staff as an exemple is a very very very very bad choice for many reason.
To begin with we are talking about a succesfull serie on a much higher scale than anything JC staff ever produced, comparing this second season to a milked to death SnS or ZnT (which is what I assume you are doing) is pretty much stupid considering that they weren't any good anyway.

Historicaly SHAFT wasn't always a full fledged animation studio or rather it did not produced it's own anime until only a while ago my point being that for something that was so small a few years ago they did pretty well up to now.
The overall animation of Madoka was good and like everything other anime, there'll be scene in which they do not want to put a good deal of the budget into.

I, and many of the people watching Madoka I know of, never noticed this distorted face for the reason that it was most probably in a scene where Madoka wasn't the focus and in which she was near the background. Still it's normal that some watcher did notice it and posted about it but every show got some of those distorted face scene. It's just that there was a very big hatewagon when Madoka came out so they got enphasied as argument against the anime whereas other show's distortion get ignored by most people.

Inb4 people calling flame wars when we are just discussing.
Sep 20, 2011 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
WANT!!! Thank you Urobuchi for finally announcing something I actually want.
Sep 20, 2011 4:58 PM

Oct 2010
Hum... Not sure if I like it.
I mean, it may be something great but it is almost impossible to it overcome the quality Madoka achieved.

But yeah, it's too soon to build expectations and conclusions. He said they're working on something, but not exactly what. That means it might vary from an sequel to a short special; an Spin-off to a movie.

Madoka created this possibility to do many thing without making changes on the series.
Sep 20, 2011 5:16 PM

Aug 2009
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh great. Time to watch more people jizz themselves over this.
Sep 20, 2011 5:17 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think a sequel would work too well, a spin-off maybe but even that would be a stretch. if it's anything more than a OVA/movie i seriously doubt it will live up to expectations. i'l watch it regardless though.
Sep 20, 2011 5:35 PM

Jun 2011
Mahou Shoujo Orika Magica adaption, perhaps?
Sep 20, 2011 6:24 PM

Mar 2009
Milking or not, im looking forward to this
Sep 20, 2011 6:24 PM

Jan 2010
jakeisquite said:
I don't think a sequel would work too well, a spin-off maybe but even that would be a stretch. if it's anything more than a OVA/movie i seriously doubt it will live up to expectations. i'l watch it regardless though.

sequel with homura as the center of the story plot (world after madoka vanish) might be good because there are too many question left at the end of series. (change name to homura magica).
Sep 20, 2011 6:36 PM

Jun 2008
The thing with Madoka: It had closure. A sequel would just... no. Just no.
I second the "A spin-off would be okay but a second season is unneeded" bit.
Second season or spin-off or movie or whatever else have you though, I'm definitely gonna' watch it out of curiosity if nothing else
Sep 20, 2011 6:58 PM
Nov 2008
Looking forward to it.
Sep 20, 2011 6:59 PM

Jul 2007
No thank you.
Sep 20, 2011 7:01 PM
Mar 2009
They're not gonna let her go?

Lol, forever doomed to an endless cycle.
Sep 20, 2011 7:20 PM

Nov 2007
i hope its more twisted and dark then the first series

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Sep 20, 2011 7:26 PM

Apr 2008
Awesome! More Madoka! :D The first season ended quite nicely, so I don't think there should be any reason to continue the story from there. If there's ever a spin-off series about, say,
, then I'm up for it.
Sep 20, 2011 7:27 PM
Sep 2011
Who lose her head next?
btw: I wonder when he say: "I'm going to make tv series Saya no uta" =))
Sep 20, 2011 7:34 PM

Jun 2009
Maddo_scientisto said:
Radzeer said:

Maddo_scientisto said:

That is a bad comparaison in the sense that it isn't really compareable. According to this a guy should leave his woman to find another one if she can't have children? That's a very streched analogy but still.
Uh, no. According to that analogy, a guy shouldn't stay with his woman just because she can have children. It means that the relationship would need to be judged as a whole rather than just being judged by some element(s) of the relationship while ignoring all other elements.

Let me give you a more applicable analogy: suppose you have an anime series that turns to shit after a certain number of episodes. Do you ignore those shitty episodes and just judge the series as a whole by the first few good episodes?
Sep 20, 2011 7:34 PM

Apr 2011
I'm rather happy about this. =3
Though I'd personally like to see a set of entirely different characters for season two, possibly with some cameos by the original characters.
It would be interesting if it took place in the past, an alternate universe, or in a different country. ^.^
Sep 20, 2011 7:47 PM

Sep 2011
If Gen's going to try and pull off a second season, it'd better be a prequel. After episode 12, there's not enough material to warrant a continuing storyline. Perhaps a spin-off, a la Oriko or Kazumi, could work nicely.

Either way, I welcome this enthusiastically, but with reservations.
Sep 20, 2011 7:57 PM

Sep 2011
well, this was pretty much inevitable. all I want to say is: It better be good.

because if they only butcher it then it would suck.

hope for a alternative story! I doubt how a second season would work out.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Sep 20, 2011 8:15 PM

Dec 2010
Hmmm interesting i can w8 =) ill be please with anything they give us...

but I'm interested in the past magic girls ..... i hope they have a prequel on that or magic girls in another country that should be nice......

In Gen we trust owo
Sep 21, 2011 4:49 AM

Sep 2007
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !
Sep 21, 2011 5:47 AM
May 2010
Do want. But will they go wider? '___'
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!
Sep 21, 2011 2:09 PM
Jan 2011
Meh. Kinda not interested.
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Sep 22, 2011 4:43 AM
Mar 2008
I just hope they don't ruin this.
Sep 22, 2011 12:26 PM

Sep 2010
Unexpected bur intresting.
Sep 22, 2011 4:06 PM

Jul 2010
People... Parallel times, parallel times... ;)
Sep 23, 2011 1:56 AM
Jul 2011
What could it be?
Sep 26, 2011 12:02 AM
Aug 2010
Not exactly an ecstatic Madoka fan but I'm looking forward to this, especially considering how the first one ended. Seems like I'm the only one who wasn't satisfied with the ending. Meh.
Sep 28, 2011 7:06 PM

Jul 2010
I'm looking forward to it.
I also think a slice of life would be pretty fun, if it's anytime like the second drama CD. As for a prequel, Oriko and the third drama CD could make interesting adaptations, or they could try something new. I'm not sure about a sequel, but I'm open to anything.
Sep 28, 2011 7:20 PM

Aug 2011
OMG. DO WANT.

» Escapism.

Sep 29, 2011 3:10 AM

Oct 2009
Zeream said:
Hoooooh... that's good news. Looking forward to it.
Oct 14, 2011 6:53 AM

Sep 2011
I hope the "next series" they are talking about is a prequel of some sort, as someone else has mentioned. Probably they could start from the events of Episode 10 and told from the perspective of Akemi Homura leading to the events of Episode 1. Or, it could be a side quest of Homura after the end of the original series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
6 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.