Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2008 10:17 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
When I saw this I thought to myself: did I miss something? The first Dragon Ball Z movie, apparently. No wonder I was always confused when Garlic Jr. shows up.
LunaDec 6, 2013 4:26 AM
Oct 25, 2011 11:02 PM

Apr 2010
This saga is a pain in the ass to watch anyway. :/

May 30, 2013 8:23 AM

Feb 2013
The Garlic Jr. arc is definitely the worst of the DBZ filler.
Nov 21, 2013 3:41 PM

May 2012
The only interesting thing was that Kuririn had a girlfriend "sort of" that looked like Bulma :p

Well lets see what's next!
Dec 19, 2013 4:35 PM

Jun 2009
Annnnnnd, the Garlic Jr saga. Hooray for filler. Nice English voice acting too, Garlic jr. is Emperor Pilaf v2.0. Thankfully it's a short saga.
Jan 11, 2014 9:16 AM

Oct 2009
Sheepdude said:
When I saw this I thought to myself: did I miss something? The first Dragon Ball Z movie, apparently. No wonder I was always confused when Garlic Jr. shows up.

Ah, and I was confused with all those flashbacks.
I thought all those movies are just side stories or alternative versions. I can't just skip them any more, obviously. It's not that I don't want to watch them, it's just that it's a hassle to figure out the order
Feb 3, 2014 7:00 PM

Dec 2013
Looks like I'm not the only one who is going to hate this saga. The idea is just evil, and so are the new characters introduced :/ That new guy is just what we all want to see, a short blue annoying prick with an extremely annoying voice and evil plans. Couch EMPOR PILAF Cough. The only person more evil than her is Chi Chi........

And fuck, it seems as if I am going to have to watch the movies to understand some of the important events.

Tyestor said:
Annnnnnd, the Garlic Jr saga. Hooray for filler. Nice English voice acting too, Garlic jr. is Emperor Pilaf v2.0. Thankfully it's a short saga.

That’s a good thing at least. I don't know if I would be able to take 60 + episodes of these evil villains.
Feb 21, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2013
Well guys watch DBZ Movie 1 before this one. I looked into it like 5 minutes, I was confused then realized it must have had been a movie. Watched the movie and now everything is fine.

Also I think this arc is kind of dull.
Jul 21, 2014 7:06 PM

May 2014
"Very observant, Mr. Poo Poo"
Jan 11, 2015 8:59 PM

Mar 2013
ao_no_exo said:
Well guys watch DBZ Movie 1 before this one. I looked into it like 5 minutes, I was confused then realized it must have had been a movie. Watched the movie and now everything is fine.

Also I think this arc is kind of dull.

Well, I did watch the first DBZ movie. Seems that's not enough. Near the end of this episode a purple Haiya dragon is shown whom Gohan seems to know very well. Looked him up, turns out he appears in Tree of Might which is DBZ movie 3. So, apparently you need to watch DBZ movies 1-3 to keep up with this episode...
Jan 13, 2015 8:16 PM

Oct 2009
LoneUlfsark said:
Well, I did watch the first DBZ movie. Seems that's not enough. Near the end of this episode a purple Haiya dragon is shown whom Gohan seems to know very well. Looked him up, turns out he appears in Tree of Might which is DBZ movie 3. So, apparently you need to watch DBZ movies 1-3 to keep up with this episode...

Not necessarily. Think of movies as alternative timelines. The third movie takes place after this Saga, but Gohan meets Haiya Dragon there for the first time
SerhiykoJan 13, 2015 8:28 PM
Jan 14, 2015 12:06 AM

Mar 2013
Luna_slave_No61 said:
LoneUlfsark said:

Not necessarily. Think of movies as alternative timelines. The third movie takes place after this Saga, but Gohan meets Haiya Dragon there for the first time

Hmm... Why would you think the third movie is after Garlic Jr. Saga? The release date of episode 108 is September 18, 1991. The release date of Movie 3 is July 7, 1990.

Also, if the third movie with the proper introduction of Haiya Dragon was intended to take place after Garlic Jr. saga, wouldn't out-of-the-blue appearance of Haiya dragon in this episode indicate a plot hole?
Jan 16, 2015 6:55 PM

Oct 2009
LoneUlfsark said:
Hmm... Why would you think the third movie is after Garlic Jr. Saga? The release date of episode 108 is September 18, 1991. The release date of Movie 3 is July 7, 1990.

That's mainly because at the time, I was trying to fit the movies into the same timeline, and by that logic, this movie could only take place at least an year after the last wish to the dragon balls - I explained that in the third movie's discussion
Anyway, the reason why movie can't take place in the same timeline as series is because characters who should be dead or elsewhere are walking around on Earth like nothing happened

LoneUlfsark said:
Also, if the third movie with the proper introduction of Haiya Dragon was intended to take place after Garlic Jr. saga, wouldn't out-of-the-blue appearance of Haiya dragon in this episode indicate a plot hole?

So yes, Haiya Dragon is introduced in the third movie for the first time, but that movie takes place in the alternative timeline, so he kind of appears out of blue in the series. Haiya Dragon in the movie and Haiya Dragon in the series are two different Haiya Dragons. Don't forget that this saga by itself is a filler
Mar 21, 2016 2:38 PM

Aug 2013
Mr.Popo straight up synopsized the first movie, it went far beyond the typical anime exposition, felt like he was reading Dead Zone's Wikipedia entry.
Jun 22, 2016 2:17 AM

Feb 2016
Huh.. so they're continuing where the movie left off. I guess it'll be somewhat interesting...

Krillin has a "unofficial" (Not steady yet?) girlfriend... that very much resembles Bulma. Quite interesting, lol.

She seems like a Ditz though. I guess this is like Bulma's Twin in the universe but is her complete opposite.

Wasn't expecting like a movie arc tbh... I guess they had ideas to continue the Garlic Jr. Story and decided to roll it out.

They gave alot of recap to help, but no "How Garlic Jr. escaped the dead zone"... Next episode maybe?

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jul 4, 2016 9:04 PM

Sep 2013
Kind of a disappointing episode, but I was actually relieved to move on to something new after the long Freeza saga.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 19, 2018 6:27 PM

Nov 2017
So Garlic Jr has appeared... that black mist could be quite dangerous. If it hits someone like Piccolo, then that's bad. Also Krillin's girlfriend seems annoying, she doesn't care about Krillin much at all.

The flashback to when Garlic Jr previously appeared makes no sense. When did it take place? It had to have taken part before episode 5 of dbz because Gohan is in his old clothes, can't control his powers and Goku is alive. However, I thought the first time Piccolo and Goku teamed up was in episode 3. Maybe the filler is just wrong.
You can't miss something until it's gone.
Mar 8, 2019 8:02 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
ok i will have to watch the movies o.o

Mar 10, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2008
So another mini Piccolo is the bad guy?
May 5, 2019 10:57 PM

Jul 2016
Did Gohan just ask his flying purple dragon pet if he wanted to "blaze"?
HellzBellz82May 5, 2019 11:08 PM
Dec 19, 2019 4:13 AM

Mar 2010
Garlic Jr. looks like a namekian Pilaf.

Nice music when Gohan went in the river.

Krillin suddenly became alpha male ? Hot Girl + Sportscar ... xD. And was Gohan jealous ? xD

Actually tbh I enjoyed the entrance and built of Pilaf ... erm sorry Garlic Jr. more here than in the mediocre Movie. His underlings are different here too.

Groups of people laughing in the end, lol.

Aug 4, 2020 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
This is interesting. It looks like this saga is going to deal with Garlic Jr., a pesky little gremlin looking that got featured as the main adversary in the first DBZ film. Since the movies are usually non-canon, I am curious to see how this will go. Now that I think about, other than minor inconveniences, the first movie, out of all the films, so far, was the most canonically fit to implement into the series.

Kami is too old for this, indeed. He got captured too easily, tributing just the minimal of efforts. He is at the age where his body becomes quickly weary in a fight. He needs to retire, hence why he requires a successor. I have to admit, it was a lighthearted moment to see Kami offering the throne for the ever so reclusive Piccolo, and Piccolo, in turn, offering worrying sentiments to him. Although, I wonder, now that Piccolo tolerates Kami and cares about him, to an extent, will he be more acceptable to the idea of fusing with him and returning to their original state before the previous Piccolo and Kami split up?
Oct 5, 2020 2:35 PM
May 2019
Hmm, this is interesting. Seems that our new antagonist has been introduced. Albeit, their appearances don't exactly make me shiver, I can only imagine they possess strength. I wonder if they will rely more on magical abilities rather than pure strength. That would at least make sense considering their height. Oh well, poor Mr. Popo.
Jul 29, 2021 2:19 PM

Nov 2017
Alrighty, curiosity is gettin' the better of me. I do remember this filler saga from my childhood when it aired on Toonami. I don't remember much of it though even when I re-watched DBZ some years ago.

I just remember Garlic Jr. is kind of like the Hornswoggle of DBZ until he gets roided up transforms
Dec 17, 2023 4:50 AM
Sep 2021
the battle power skelilngs are way too bad
Feb 1, 11:45 AM

Nov 2015
not sure how to feel about the idea of a midget that's not pilaf or babidi lol, invading the sacred temple and being disrespectful with kami, knowing that kamisama never fought in all of the history of DragonBall 🤣 feels weird man! 2/5.

Voel said:
Groups of people laughing in the end, lol.

release the evil laugh gas lol
Berry-VodkaFeb 1, 12:05 PM

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 224 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 17, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 223 Discussion

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 17, 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.