Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 1, 2013 10:55 PM

Mar 2013
I realize that this show is DEEP and all [and it really is], but I thought this episode was hilarious.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
May 24, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Different then I expected.
Jun 9, 2013 2:34 AM

Jan 2012
goodbye innocent people, blame the prophecy lol

free things sure is great xD
Jun 22, 2013 9:15 PM

Jul 2011
Sorry if this is really obvious, but it’s been bothering me for ages.

If everyone was “delighted that they were set free from the sadness” when the poet died, why do the people continue to choose someone to recite the poem so that “no one will ever forget the sadness”?
Jul 22, 2013 1:23 PM

Aug 2011
Awesome, this episode was full of meaning too.
And I guess that in the end, the prophecy became true for both villages.
Jul 30, 2013 2:55 AM

Mar 2010
wow loved the connection between them
Sep 29, 2013 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
The poet had old man disease or what? He looked like 35 years old at the beggining and 80 years old at his death and his daughter was still young.

Kino is a smart girl getting stuff for free.
Oct 15, 2013 3:05 PM

Aug 2008
cleyran said:
Sorry if this is really obvious, but it’s been bothering me for ages.

If everyone was “delighted that they were set free from the sadness” when the poet died, why do the people continue to choose someone to recite the poem so that “no one will ever forget the sadness”?

After the daughter began to recite the poem it began to blossom into a tradition and people began to accept it as a part of their tradition. A good analogy to compare it to would be:

You like to eat pasta. You absolutely love it. But for some reason, perhaps you were too busy, you hadn't eaten pasta in 3 months. On a whim, you decide to see how long you can go without eating pasta. You start off thinking its a harmless game for yourself because you can stop at anytime and just eat pasta again. But soon you go years and years without eating pasta and you just can't bring yourself to end this no-pasta streak. Soon, 30 years pass and you realize how long its been since you've tasted your beloved pasta...
Oct 15, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2008
This anime is story-telling at its finest. Kino is the perfect medium through which the story can be told. She is almost completely detached from her surroundings, she has almost no effect on those around her and doesn't interfere. She is merely a "traveler" and because of that, we can travel WITH Kino and experience all these countries and their stories. Kino is just like us, an audience looking in from the outside. It is the perfect way for the writers to tell stories after stories without constantly having to think "how can I make this relate to the main characters own development??"
Oct 22, 2013 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
Does anybody know the music playing when kino visits the descendant of the banished king? He starts talking about how the people have no tradition to boast about and this epic music is playing in the back
anyone know?
Feb 18, 2014 7:22 AM

May 2013
Beautiful episode ♡
Mar 8, 2014 9:19 AM

Jan 2013
This was a really great episode.
I laughed when I got to know that the poem of sorrow had turned into the Book of Prophecy.
The end somewhat reminded me of the story called 'The Fortune Teller' by Karel Capek where something similar happens.
Apr 4, 2014 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
I don't understand how people can think this episode is bashing religion.

The prophecy did come true, in the end. Maybe this is the part people aren't getting.

It's all about believing. These people believed it, and so it came to pass.
Apr 29, 2014 1:08 PM
Dec 2012
It's rather interesting how varied interpretation plays out regarding this poem/prophecy. Left alone, this song would simply be pretty, albeit melancholy, words, but placed in different contexts, they take on whole new meanings and, apparently, imperatives to different people. A tragedy of a poet, his family, and his country, waiting for the end of the world, preventing the end of the world, another tragedy for his family. This can also be more loosely connected to that Country of Seemingly No Traditions. From the inhabitants of that country's perspective, they have no cultural tradition when in fact, as the descendant of that country's exiled king surmises, they do, even though they don't realize it. And yet, if they do somehow realize it, it ceases to be a tradition. Just like the prophecy ceases to be a prophecy if the people who follow it realize that it wasn't a prophecy to begin with. That, of course, might lead people to believe it is their directive to fulfill those prophecies, so that those prophecies which were not really prophecies were suddenly prophecies that became true. Well... just not in the divine sense.

In addition, things like poetry and prophecy matter to people because they believe it matters to them.
Jun 19, 2014 3:55 PM

Nov 2012
Hmmm, i don't quite get this episode, is there some deeper meaning i don't get, like i must watch the episode again to totally get it -isn't deep, philosophy messages is what the show provides in each episode?- or it is as simple as what i think it is. what i think it is, is that people believed in the prophecy, cause they believed in it, it actually occurred, as simple as that. they could've easily laughed at it and ignored it, if they did.. nothing of this would've happened. it's like they've destroyed themselves by themselves. ironic...?

anyhow, the way everything was connected from each country to country was great.
4/5
Drastic-MeasureJun 19, 2014 4:00 PM
Aug 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Aug 2012
People look for meanings where there's none.

ex_necross said:

The prophecy did come true, in the end. Maybe this is the part people aren't getting.

Their prophecies were based on a sad poem. That's it.
It's about how people believe in and fight over meaningless things. Also everyone sees what they want to see.
Aug 3, 2014 9:38 PM

Dec 2012
Arcanus said:
Twigglet said:
How was this episode ironic? I'm trying to work it out but it isn't coming to me. :(

kota-chi said:
actually.. i don't quite understand this episode... the only thing that struck me was that when the end approached, people cared less about matierialic gains...

Hermes: "Kino, was the prophecy right or wrong? Which do you think is it?"

Herein lies the irony. That prophecy was nothing more than a fabricated poem of sorrow, but it became reality because it was believed as such.
On one side, one kingdom was destroyed for its people believed the world would end; on the other side, one kingdom destroyed the other to avoid getting itself destroyed.
If it weren't believed to be true, it would never have become a prophecy; it would just be a poem of sorrow and nothing would have come of it.

I believe that explaining it kills its charm, but I hope it helps you understand it.

Wow thanks
Sep 13, 2014 9:04 PM
Mar 2014
this episode just explained the reason for every single religious war the has ever occurred in the history of our world. Someone interpreted something that someone else said and believed it to be something more and it escalates from there. Wow, just Wow. Brilliant
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2014 6:54 PM

Mar 2012
I love how this episode highlighted the sheer foolishness brought about from religious extremism.
Apr 7, 2015 12:01 AM

Sep 2013
hmm, must have been pretty funny to watch in 2012
Apr 8, 2015 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
I love how Kino respects people's beliefs even if she doesn't agree with it.
May 3, 2015 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
Well hey, both prophecies were right after all. The people of the town will die thinking the world is ending while the people who destroy it will move on thinking they saved it. The sheer irony and cynicism that went into this scenario has me laughing, it's just so screwed up not to. A similar event in Assassin's Creed III reminded me of this episode and I got a real good laugh out of it because that was 3 weeks before 12/21/12. The way it brings out the reality of how many people interpret religion and philosophy is horrifyingly accurate.
Jun 18, 2015 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Well hey, both prophecies were right after all. The people of the town will die thinking the world is ending while the people who destroy it will move on thinking they saved it. The sheer irony and cynicism that went into this scenario has me laughing, it's just so screwed up not to.

Same here, also liked the part when the prophecy "was false" the store owners were kinda trying to get their money from the stuff Kino "bought" .... since you know, they werent going to face the end of the world anymore.

So was the prophecy right or wrong? - In a way ... both.
Or you could just say they made it right.
Aug 18, 2015 5:23 PM
Jun 2013
at first glance this was just a random episode where Kino traveled to 3 countries but...NOOOO It was everything but that. It was all connected in a way that I didn't see coming at all.
Fantastic.
Dec 1, 2015 10:36 AM

Jan 2014
FREE THINGS!!!

Yeah, this was pretty fascinating.
Really makes you think about stuff.
I loved it~
Feb 3, 2016 3:13 PM

May 2014
The art style is very simply, but the picturization is still so beautiful.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 6, 2016 9:40 AM

Sep 2014
I never expected this Anime to be this Good. The poet and his story was just Great. I loved it.
Mar 8, 2016 7:27 PM

Aug 2013
Man this episode was brimming with irony.
Mar 12, 2016 6:25 AM
May 2014
By far the best episode I have seen in anime and people tell me I havent seen anything in Kino no Tabi yet.
The episode mirrors the real world too much. Probably every religious text out there came from the ramblings of one person, interpreted and reinterpreted by different persons. then These people consider their own text to be right and others wrong and create war with each other, bringing their own deaths in the process. And maybe fulfilling prophecies about their own demise
So futile, so ironic..
Apr 7, 2016 7:02 PM

Jul 2015
I don't see the how the second country connects to others. Also which country were the tanks coming from?
May 2, 2016 3:59 AM

Sep 2014
Fourth-Phantom said:
I don't see the how the second country connects to others. Also which country were the tanks coming from?

From the country Kino visited first (the one where the people believed the world would end, according to the prophecy).
May 22, 2016 9:12 AM

Feb 2013
This episode seemed to be making an (ignorant) statement about religion and tradition. In both cases, the people had no understanding of their origins.

Either way, the "end" is coming for that one town, so the prophecy became real.
May 22, 2016 9:51 AM

Sep 2014
BurntJelly said:
This episode seemed to be making an (ignorant) statement about religion and tradition. In both cases, the people had no understanding of their origins.

It didn't make a statement though. The nice thing about Kino no Tabi is that it leaves room for interpretation and thought.
Oct 9, 2016 4:15 AM

Jun 2013
This series is a collection of parables. And despite that, I enjoy it. Maybe it's just Kino that makes it all work.

Miragee said:
BurntJelly said:

It didn't make a statement though. The nice thing about Kino no Tabi is that it leaves room for interpretation and thought.

Yes, I think the spirit of the series is most evident in the way Kino answers Hermes' questions.
Nov 15, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2013
The amount of irony in this episode was hilarious.
Feb 5, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2012
what's with this ep , like trying to mock religion or something

Jun 29, 2017 8:41 AM

Oct 2012
Religion oh religion :P

This episode reminds me of Patrick Ugly Barnacle story
"Everyone died. The end" xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 12, 2017 3:04 AM

Jun 2016
I still can't tell if this is beautiful or pretentious… or maybe both? All I know is I'm enjoying myself so far.
Jul 17, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, the end of this episode was really gorgeous. On the other hand, I do not agree with many here who see his message as "you make reality what you believe in." There is no such esoteric message, it is rather a common trolling of interpreters of religious texts.

So, it's ironic that some people interpreted as abstract message an episode that tries to wean from abstract interpritations, lol.

AllenVonStein said:
what's with this ep , like trying to mock religion or something

Rather, it is a mockery of religious extremism, especially the scene in the forest.
RobertBobertJul 17, 2017 12:13 PM
Jul 28, 2017 12:31 PM

Nov 2016
Really, really nice episode, the irony in this one is brilliant.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 10, 2017 6:54 AM

Jul 2015
Oh, the irony... loved this episode.

Kino's reaction about the free ammo was hilarious.
Sep 1, 2017 8:36 AM
Jan 2012
So the world ended for that country, after all. It is ironic how humanity created the "prophecy" and also made sure that it would be fulfilled.
Sep 15, 2017 8:48 AM

Sep 2015
Well that was a thought provoking episode. I like how this series has a very modern sensibility. But still feels like some old fables or something. One can't help but read on the surface of what this one is trying to say. While basically telling three different stories. A clear theme emerges. This is an episode about culture and how it is formed. First with the two stories of people interpreting a "religious" text drastically differently. With clear condemnation towards those who use "holy texts" ambiguous wording to their own ends. The sad thing is it's never clear if the people preaching the "scripture" are truly master manipulators. Or believe their off base interpretations. Either way the very end was a Twilight Zone level twist.

The second story also fits into this mold rather easily. As it's all about a small town trying to figure out what it's own traditions should be. It keeps the theme of deconstructing cultural beliefs going. Emphasizing how while years down the road. The customs of your home town may seem all important and essential that they're followed to the T. But once upon a time it was just something your ancestors made up.

The third one's a bit harder to lump in with the others. Though it is key to the twist ending, which brings things back around to the first story. Basically I think it's point. Beyond that the other two towns "holy scriptures" were some dudes poem mourning his wife's death. Was the role art can have on society and culture. Though the King made it important. Thus leading to the man's wife's demise. This was just a poem, just a work of art. And yet it became the focal point of the entire town. Once again a non glamorous look at the formation of culture.

I really liked these connected but largely unrelated stories this episode. Hope to see more of that by the end of the series run.
Sep 18, 2017 9:20 PM

Jul 2013
woah that was kinda dark! Everything comes to a circle in the end huh.
Nov 14, 2017 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
Didn't liked this episode much.. it was too random and just ridiculous. I understand themes it tried to portray but it fell dull and absurd. Well, whole that prophecy was probably meant to be absurd but still.

The main problem here is the same as with episode 1 - Kino was just observer there for the most part.
But I don't want to watch story about someone who is being told stories but others - I want to watch story about the main character, I want to watch their developement.

That's why the last episode was so good. And that's what both episode 1 and 3 fell flat.
Dec 21, 2017 10:10 PM
Jun 2013
so this one does it take on religion and tradition. It was funny when the store owners wanted their stuff back. Man they must be pissed at the church people. Also if kino did dance then does that mean they people would have stuck with that one. I had a feeling this was going to end with the religious country killing a bunch of other people. Feel bad for that depressing town.
Jan 8, 2018 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
So basically, tradition is foolish and leads people to do foolish things?

I get where this episode is coming from, but it's a bit too one-sided. Tradition isn't always bad. In fact, there are plenty of traditions worth keeping and protecting.

alpir said:
People look for meanings where there's none.

ex_necross said:

Their prophecies were based on a sad poem. That's it.
It's about how people believe in and fight over meaningless things. Also everyone sees what they want to see.

That's a fascinating take on it. Everyone sees what they want to see out of the prophecy--just like how 95% of people in this thread want to see that this episode is about bashing religion.
Religion did come to mind while watching this episode, but the episode never narrowed in specifically about religion, only tradition.

Also, kinda off-topic, but is it just me or are most anime fans atheists? Seems like an interesting correlation.

Mich666 said:
Didn't liked this episode much.. it was too random and just ridiculous. I understand themes it tried to portray but it fell dull and absurd. Well, whole that prophecy was probably meant to be absurd but still.

The main problem here is the same as with episode 1 - Kino was just observer there for the most part.
But I don't want to watch story about someone who is being told stories but others - I want to watch story about the main character, I want to watch their developement.

That's why the last episode was so good. And that's what both episode 1 and 3 fell flat.

I agree completely. This episode was, all-in-all, ridiculous and in the end I don't even agree with its themes. It didn't make a very convincing argument for why tradition is foolish, because the world isn't as black and white as this episode portrayed. Tradition/faith can do harm and lead people to go to the extremes, but it can also bring people together and lead people to live more moral and fulfilling lives... It can also do a little bit of both.
This episode only showed the bad of tradition, and the scenario felt like it was written to be a children's fairy tale. If you're going to bash tradition, don't make it as ridiculous as "this poet was depressed because he can't write sad stuff, so his wife kills herself, and then the poet says sad stuff and makes everyone depressed forever". It's inane.

Dang. The more I write about this episode, the more I realize that I don't like it. I hope that there will be more episodes in similar tone to episode 2, because out of the three episodes I've seen, only one episode (episode 2) was good.
removed-userJan 8, 2018 6:43 PM
Jan 14, 2018 7:06 AM

Dec 2017
full of meaning, one of my favorite episodes...

I really want to know the name of the song that start playing at 11:36, it's so atmospheric.
Mar 28, 2018 8:06 PM

Mar 2016
that poet story has gotta be one of the most retarded things i have ever seen in an anime
isn't this supposed to be a piece of literature
Aure0linMar 28, 2018 8:12 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
May 17, 2018 4:10 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The commentary on religion is hilariously accurate. The ending was even more accurate on how countries go to war over a dumb fucking book.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

121 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 7, 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.