MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Mimi wo Sumaseba Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Mimi wo Sumaseba »» Mimi wo Sumaseba Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
View Poll Results: Mimi wo Sumaseba Episode 1 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

72 79.12%
4 out of 5: Liked it

15 16.48%
3 out of 5: It was OK

2 2.20%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

2 2.20%
1 out of 5: Hated it

0.00%
Voters: 91

02-23-11, 11:27 AM

Davi3d said:
Most certainly not recommended for cynics.

chumlum said:
I just need to state here that I absolutely love this film with all of my heart. It is unbelievably uplifting, if the viewer lets go of all trace of cynicism

well unfortunately, I've been a bit more cynical than my usual self lately and that did hamper my enjoyment a bit, but I still enjoyed the movie a lot. I liked the the message, and the scene with the jamming session was probably my fav, followed by the 2-3 scenes of her story (Surreal! ) And the animation was just amazing. I kind of like that 90s feel to the movie and its presentation; I absolutely love the late 80s-90s vibe in any movie, anime or no.

insan3soldiern said:

Oh, it's possible. I just always thought the Miyazaki movies were lacking in characterization. .

actually this isnt a miyazaki movie, the director is someone else but its by the same studio created by Miyazaki, takahata isao (Grave of the fireflies) and toshio suzuki (chief producer of Ghibli).

Also i kind of agree with Chumlum, complexity is an overrated aspect. What I feel more important is the technical aspects, presentation, direction, soundness of the concept, writing etc. But that is only my personal preferance and may not apply to everyone.

Movies like totoro or spirited away are more for sensual pleasure and the experience rather than something like 'complexity of the story', which is a different kind of a storytelling, like monster or legend of galactic heroes. I guess what I'm trying to say is story and character development are relative aspects and not quantitative characteristics
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

02-25-11, 8:32 AM

actually this isnt a miyazaki movie

Miyazaki is listed as 'creator.' I imagine that means he wrote the script adaption, which given his notoriety, I doubt the director took that many liberties with. Miyazaki definitely had a hand in this.

02-26-11, 1:03 PM

hmm I checked ANN and it lists miyazaki in screenplay and storyboard as well as director for the fantasy sequences (from her book), although the chief director is yoshifumi kondo. I guess miyazaki did have a major role in the project.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

02-26-11, 1:13 PM

cant see my post yet so I'll edit this later. Just wanted to add that Miyazaki cant technically be a 'creator' since its based on a shoujo manga by Aoi Hiiragi. I wasnt aware that miyazaki did the screenplay and storyboard though

05-15-11, 5:41 PM

Is it just me or was the bed sometimes right next to Tsukishima's desk and at other times it was a windows length away? That was really strange..

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, but I felt the second half was a bit rushed.. She was still only just showing her story to the old man, and I checked the time and there was only 10-20 minutes left >_<

I am a sucker for a good slice-of-life + romance so I liked it anyway..

05-16-11, 2:22 PM

Such a lovely movie this was, enjoyed every second of it.

05-22-11, 2:58 PM

Another great Ghibli movie, I can see why people feel like the ending was a little rushed, but either way I thought it was a very lovely movie, I liked it a lot.

08-25-11, 6:39 AM

Ghibli movies are one of the best ! This movie was great , but how did the two cats from the movie "The Cat Returns" end up there ? However the story was great . For me the best moment was when Shizuku gave the book to Seiji's grandfather and then she cried .

09-05-11, 12:09 PM

What a beautiful movie! I just watched a couple of Ghibli Movies this summer and really liked the pace and style of Ocean Waves.

But this movie.. I absolutely loved it !

10-23-11, 2:47 PM

I saw this a few years back but I forgot what it was all about, I remember loving it though. After re-watching it, this is definitely my favorite Ghibli movie, I loved every single moment.

02-15-12, 6:15 AM

Raitei said:
Is it just me or was the bed sometimes right next to Tsukishima's desk and at other times it was a windows length away? That was really strange..

Yes. Short (bit.ly/wX1ulM) and long (bit.ly/vYX10F)

And there are two other things that got me confused. If anyone cares to explain.

1. When Shizuku goes back to get her book and meets Seiji, he says "you should drop that Concrete Home thing", then there's the second encounter when he returns Shizuku's lunch (which was her dad's) and leaves singing the tune (in a teasing manner?), THEN at end of the movie he says he didn't even remember saying "you should drop that Concrete Home thing". Seiji is weird or that's just how flirting goes?

2. Seiji wanted to go to Cremona to make violins, but first he was going somewhere for two months to get his skills tested. Was this place also Cremona? I don't get it.

02-17-12, 9:15 AM

airbehindbirds said:
there are two other things that got me confused. If anyone cares to explain.

1. When Shizuku goes back to get her book and meets Seiji, he says "you should drop that Concrete Home thing", then there's the second encounter when he returns Shizuku's lunch (which was her dad's) and leaves singing the tune (in a teasing manner?), THEN at end of the movie he says he didn't even remember saying "you should drop that Concrete Home thing". Seiji is weird or that's just how flirting goes?

2. Seiji wanted to go to Cremona to make violins, but first he was going somewhere for two months to get his skills tested. Was this place also Cremona? I don't get it.

Yeah Seiji was teasing Shizuku the first two times he mentioned Concrete Roads, he wasn't serious about it. It was just something he said then forgot. He honestly didn't remember. Obviously what he said bothered Shizuku, but boys are just that way sometimes.

Seiji went to a school for making violins in Italy for two months. Most probably in Cremona. I don't remember really. It would have been like an internship kind of thing.

02-25-12, 4:09 AM

So, hmm, the main female character translates music from English to Japanese and reads a lot of books, which indicates she's mature, yet, when she finds a cat somewhere, she goes after him?
What kind of convenient writing is this, just to get her to that store?

And the old man is Seiji's grandfather (I read his MAL profile)? dafuq, what are the odds?
Am I the only one noticing this kind of stuff?

EDIT: *finishes the movie*
Well, besides that, the movie was good. Not sure if 6 or 7, going with the first.
Also, they talked like, 5 times, and are already getting married? lulwat

And yes, whether someone knows English or not is the best indication of maturity. :P
Modified by Tiago97, 02-25-12, 11:30 AM

02-25-12, 4:48 AM

Tiago97 said:
So, hmm, the main female character translates music from English to Japanese and reads a lot of books, which indicates she's mature

Yes, this is a wonderful indication of maturity ;).
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

04-14-12, 6:09 AM

Hmm... I thought it was awesome until the ending/second half... I also have to agree about the part with the cat - I mean, sure, I got no right to complain about "reality" in an anime movie, but that part was so... meh... there should have been another -better- way for her to find the store..
But other than that, I really enjoyed it.

04-27-12, 7:54 PM

airbehindbirds said:
Raitei said:

Yes. Short (bit.ly/wX1ulM) and long (bit.ly/vYX10F)

Think for a moment about what event happened between those two screencaps.

05-23-12, 5:37 PM

lol @ impromptu jam session
gosh did they have to announce it to the class like that? XD "otoko no!"
is it just me or the Baron changes his pose sometimes..
Seiji is too kakkoi lol
the Baron is def changing his pose! O_o
dafuq? @ the ending ._.

07-07-12, 12:58 PM

This is my favorite Ghibli film after Totoro, no lie. Kondo was so talented. He'd be discussed today with the same reverence as Takahata and Miyazaki if he hadn't left us so soon. :(

07-12-12, 3:47 AM

Although its hard to point out exactly what part I like in this movie, I do like this movie in overall. There's just something about it that makes this movie a memorable one.

07-25-12, 3:06 PM

I loved this movie from the start, but the last scene, when Shizuku wakes up at dawn and sees Seiji... the weather (^_^), steep hill climbing was my fav

however, did anyone else notice the distance-increase between the bed and the writing desk between scenes???? kinda odd

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices