Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 15, 2012 9:59 AM

Mar 2011
I actually really love this movie (despite the fact it is probably mostly aimed at young girls and I am a guy in my 20s). It is just a really happy, enjoyable film all around, and is probably one of if not my favourite Studio Ghibli film.

I have watched both the dub and sub and liked them both. I actually liked Jiji's voice for some odd reason xD.

I know there is some controversy over some early dub edits, namely Jiji speaking at the end when Miyazaki never intended it to be that way, but I actually preferred the way the dub ended, if for no other reason than it was happier. I think the whole message of her becoming mature that Miyazaki was trying to get across with making Kiki lose the ability to speak with Jiji was clear enough without it.

In fact I enjoyed this movie enough to research the original book, which I found had been translated several years back. Turns out istis rather rare and expensive but I was lucky and found a 2nd hand library copy for £5-£10.

The book is for those interested a far more basic story (not that the movie was complex, the simplicity is part of why I like it :P). The book starts off in the same way as the movie, and many of her adventures are the same or similar, but whereas the movie goes off into the story of her losing her powers, the book merely follows her adventures from start to end. She never loses her powers and always has the ability to speak to Jiji (The book says a witch and her cat stay together until she finds a partner, at which time they go off to live their own lives separably). Although the end message is more or less the same in just showing how Kiki has grown up and matured over the time of her journey.

The movie shows how she has grown through her regaining her powers etc and losing her ability to talk to Jiji is suppose to symbolize it too. The book simply ends with her visiting her mother, who Kiki realizes she eagerly wants to here her praise and she tells her she has matured a lot. She then, satisfied that she had matured and choosing to become a witch was the right choice, despite being home only a few days is eager to return, and the book finishes as she makes her way back to 'her town'.

The movie takes the general idea and puts more emphasis on the characters and specific elements of Kiki's journey, whereas the book had far less focus on any single characters other than Kiki or Jiji (Tombo had far less importance in the book for example). Only a few of the adventures in the book were used in the movie, but they were expanded and given more impact to the overall story.

I think the movie was overall very good and I would choose it over the original book. However when people debate about the dub edits, keep in mind that Miyazaki changed the story from the book far more than those changes in the dub.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Apr 2, 2013 9:54 AM

Dec 2012
This was my first ghibli movi that i watched and totally loved it. unfortunatley i had to watch the english dub version. Planning to watch it again in the future in english subbed or only japanese dub with no subtitles ;)
Jul 6, 2013 6:27 AM

Oct 2012
8/10 since it well animated even though at that time

Aug 5, 2013 4:16 PM

Oct 2010
The Eng dub is great, don't see what everyone's problem is.

Brilliant story of self discovery, dragged in parts but overall a lot better than what I expected.

8/10
Sep 23, 2013 7:30 AM

Mar 2012
First (And probably one of very few) Ghibli movies I watched in Japanese. I love it so much. It's legit one of my favourite movies of all time
Nov 20, 2013 7:04 PM

Feb 2013
good movie :D
Dec 29, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2013
lovely movie , but my favorite yet is totoro
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Mar 8, 2014 8:16 PM

Aug 2012
One of Studio Ghibli's best movies. I highly enjoyed it from beginning to end!

10/10
Apr 19, 2014 5:59 PM
Aug 2007
First time watching this, I really enjoyed it. The world that it built is very interesting.. I liked how people are aware of the existence of witches, and also liked how everyone was in awe to see Kiki when she was flying around the city.

I really REALLY wish it was longer though, even though you can probably make up a decent "happily ever after" story in your mind, I'd have loved to have seen more of her adventures.

Also. God, I adore the way Ghibli draws its girls. There's something about them that just so lovely...

9/10
May 5, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
such a wonderful story I really enjoyed watching this :3
Jul 27, 2014 11:26 AM

Jul 2009
This one was fun! Loved Kiki and of course the animation and music were great as always. Really liked the world ... it would be so awesome to be a witch I think :P Good thing she managed to save her friend at the end ... yeah, the characters were all pretty great and it was cool to see how she grew and learned. I mean losing your magic must be really tough! :S Ah, man I love this kind of fantasy ... I'm sure I'd make a great witch LOL ;P 9/10 for me :D
Aug 5, 2014 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
Ok. I am VERY confused at the ending.
So the part where Kiki lost her witch powers for a bit, was because she was losing confidence in herself?
And what about Jiji? Can he still talk at the end? Or is he never going to talk again?

PLEASE REPLY. I NEED TO KNOW.
LiaevesAug 13, 2014 8:56 PM
Aug 7, 2014 11:26 AM
Jul 2014
First anime I was exposed to back in the mid 90's as a kid. We got a black cat shortly after seeing this and named him Jiji of course.

I still watch this about every year. Never gets old in my opinion.

10/10
Aug 10, 2014 4:53 PM

Jan 2014
Siing said:
Cihan said:
Unfortunately I watched the dub. I want to strangle the guy who voiced the cat.
Sad the very same person who voiced Jiji in the english dub was murdered before this was released, but that's beside the point.
OMG. Did not know that :O Very interesting fact.

And the movie was really beautiful. Loved it ♥♥♥
It's been a long time since I watched something as soothing as this.
Aug 11, 2014 10:00 AM

Aug 2013
Now that was a nice feel-good movie.

Disney did a great job with the dub. Kristen Dunst as Kiki and Jiji's voice by Phil Hartman were both very enjoyable.
Sep 26, 2014 1:52 PM

Oct 2012
Nice fairytale from fifties (or was it the time between the wars?). I love the presentation of this movie, a visuals of the city were breathtaking and its backgrounds too. They managed to deliver great atmosphere of that time.

Yes, there wasn't more to it, it felt bit undeveloped and I liked Laputa, Totoro, Arrietty or Kokuriko Zaka Kara better but it was still well worth of my time and I still enjoyed it so much. Wish there was more of those heartwarming movies showing joy of life today.

7/10 Another of Ghibli's classic and excellent example how slice-of-life should be done.
Sep 26, 2014 2:11 PM

Oct 2012
M00nRise said:
So the part where Kiki lost her witch powers for a bit, was because she was losing confidence in herself?
And what about Jiji? Can he still talk at the end? Or is he never going to talk again?

There you go, clear answer:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/faq.html
(tl;dr: It has to do with her growing up and getting independent. Her (childhood) powers were lost due to losing her ideals (e.g. with her first disillusion she lost her trust in herself) and her (adult) powers were regained as she was working towards the goal she believed in (saving someone important to her). Jiji will never talk to her again as she doesn't need his guidance anymore.
Oct 19, 2014 12:04 AM

Aug 2012
Mich666 said:
M00nRise said:

(tl;dr: It has to do with her growing up and getting independent. Her (childhood) powers were lost due to losing her ideals (e.g. with her first disillusion she lost her trust in herself) and her (adult) powers were regained as she was working towards the goal she believed in (saving someone important to her). Jiji will never talk to her again as she doesn't need his guidance anymore.

Thanks for the link and info. It answered all of my questions! =)

But damn. It's sad that Jiji can't talk anymore. =(
Dec 15, 2014 5:12 PM

Dec 2012
Loved it. I normally go for subs, but Phil Hartman's Jiji is just too good.
Jan 3, 2015 11:34 AM
Dec 2013
And he never got his broom back.
Jan 25, 2015 10:03 PM

Jun 2013
Kiki's Delivery Service, what a nostalgic series. A heartwarming film, the art is very Ghibli and the animation is fluid as expected.

aha, Kiki continues using the old man's broom o.O
Mar 22, 2015 8:33 PM

Aug 2012
Well, I put this movie off for quite some time. My Miyazaki month is definitely a failure now as it no longer seems likely that I'll complete all his directorial work this month, nor do I want to. Nothing to do with the quality of the movies, just not a movie fan myself but that's irrelevant, Kiki's Delivery Service is another good Ghibli movie. I think the movie would've been stronger without the third act blimp drama climax but outside of that, the movie didn't really have any faults, at least anyone's that left a sour taste inside my mouth. I will say the score here was completely forgettable, a shame coming from My Neighbor Totoro which had some brilliant pieces within it. I don't really have much to say about this, it's a simple, enjoyable film. 7/10.
May 29, 2015 8:57 PM

Feb 2015
Tempted to give a 1/10 because Osono used water for the hot chocolate.
Jun 10, 2015 2:05 PM

Jul 2009
Not the best Ghibli film but entertaining to watch. The story was the only lacking element really because I thought the animation and characters were really good.
Jun 23, 2015 7:10 PM

Sep 2014
Sad that she still can't talk to her cat
Aug 9, 2015 8:23 AM

Sep 2014
Great film! Loved it.

park425 said:
First anime I was exposed to back in the mid 90's as a kid. We got a black cat shortly after seeing this and named him Jiji of course.

I still watch this about every year. Never gets old in my opinion.

10/10

That is such a lovely story!
Mirai, zura~!
Aug 28, 2015 6:41 PM

Aug 2015
I find that tonbo's human powered aircraft is cool. I think we should get more scene of this... such as they flying home to Kiki's hometown together with that formation, aircraft + broom. It'll be epic...
"I have a vision, where aviation and endurance sport integrate one another." ~ Adventure Aviator
Jan 22, 2016 5:08 AM

Apr 2013
By miles better than the Totoro movie. The characters are more dynamic and instead of clinging to her parents Kiki goes out into the world alone. If only they could dedicate a bit more time to flesh out Kiki's character ... but all in all it's good family oriented material.
Feb 16, 2016 11:42 AM

Feb 2014
A Miyazaki movie with characters that have actual personalities and speak like normal human beings? What sorcery is this (pun intended)? This is probably the only Miyazaki directed movie I enjoyed from beginning to end.
Mar 3, 2016 3:40 AM

Jul 2008
Very simple movie. Wasn't much to the plot like other movies but I guess that is the movie's charm.

I give it a 6/10 still good but I wanted just a little more to the story. That and the cat will never talk again.
Mar 24, 2016 8:22 PM

May 2014
Such a cute movie :3 Gives me that nostalgic and cozy feel like with Totoro, although I liked Totoro more.

M00ner said:
Mich666 said:

Thanks for the link and info. It answered all of my questions! =)

But damn. It's sad that Jiji can't talk anymore. =(

Interestingly, Miyazaki chose to edit out Jiji's final line in the newer release. Originally, Jiji can talk again once Kiki gets her powers back, but now Jiji stays a normal cat. I agree that it has to do with growing up, but I think maybe Kiki was subconsciously giving Jiji the ability to talk with her magic because she was lonely. Now that she has her own friends and life, she isn't doing that anymore, so Jiji went back to being a normal cat. Kids will like the original ending, but I think the newer ending is smarter :)
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
May 16, 2016 12:57 PM

Jan 2013
Unlike Phenomanan I actually liked this film more, Totoro had some great scenes but Kiki was amazing from start to end.
Shame Jiji wont talk anymore, love how caring he was for her, he still is ... but without the voice ^^

Anyhow, this was a very warm and comforting film.

10/10
Sep 14, 2016 5:09 AM

May 2014
Wow this is a great movie , its a shame that I just only watch it today
The lessons we can get can help us in our life
I will give it 8/10
I was amazed of the animation even though it was produce in 1989
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2016 5:19 PM
Jan 2016
I saw this movie not too long ago and it really gripped my heart through its fun
storytelling. Really adorable film that's bound to make somebody smile somewhere.
Dec 27, 2016 9:00 PM

Oct 2016
This was really very good. The stortline regarding how Kiki falls into problems and come out of it seems so much realistic . I give 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2017 10:18 PM

Aug 2007
This is probably one of my least favorite Miyazaki movies. A very unpopular opinion, but I just think this movie is average compared to his other works.

I personally love Jiji (with Phil Hartman's voice). I completely understand the intentions of him not speaking at the end but for some reason every time I watch this film, the idea of Kiki not being able to talk to Jiji kills it for me. I'm also not a fan of Kiki's approach to Tombo -- It seems like she has trouble processing negative emotions throughout the whole movie. I know it's to show she still needs growth in all aspects of her life, but I just find it a tad aggravating.

5/10

Apr 6, 2017 3:45 PM

May 2015
I don't know why, but I found this movie so uninteresting. It looks like it didn't fit my taste at all.

5/10. Music and art are + for sure.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 10, 2017 12:01 AM

May 2010
I watched it subbed. Pretty good. I may be being generous and I may reconsider later, but I gave it an 8.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 17, 2017 12:23 PM

Apr 2017
Underrated movie. One of Miyazakis very best. Masterpiece.
Jun 11, 2017 6:00 AM
Jan 2015
I watched it dub and i liked it .
I don't understand why people are badmouthing dub . Ofcourse , if you watch sub first and then dub , you would not like it .
Jul 23, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
Saw the GKIDS screening today with my mom. Really liked it overall. It has the same whimsical sense of childhood/joy that Totoro does while also adding a bit more peril.

I really liked the scene where Kiki and Ursula talked about what could be keeping Kiki from flying and Ursula compared it to her artist's block. I also liked that it emphasized that taking a break is okay sometimes and you shouldn't try to force things.

The only thing that's keeping my score at an 8/the movie out of my top 10 is the fact that the ending wasn't really a proper resolution. Does Kiki get over her crippling social anxiety and get accepted with the other kids? Is her specialty really...delivery?

Oh, and I know Miyazaki/the original author had a proper reason for Jiji still not being able to talk at the end, but...fuck that bullshit. Jiji was best girl cat. R.I.P. Phil Hartman. I'm going to go out of my way to look for the release that has him say a line at the end in the English dub.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 18, 2017 5:24 PM

Jul 2015
Watch it last night. Simple is the best, the term that I always love when it's implemented well. Kiki's Delivery Service is success at portraying how Kiki's grown up through her independent time. This movie didn't bore me up, the story is more dynamic, thou it is just a daily life of Kiki and Jiji.

Also, we could see how mature Kiki's become from time to time. Hardship, struggle, and love all helped Kiki to grow up to be a fine person. All in all, I give it a solid 8/10.
Sep 30, 2017 2:30 PM

Dec 2016
A truly beautiful, funny, nice, and heartwarming film. Truly a Ghibli classic!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 23, 2017 4:05 PM

Oct 2013
Expected so much from the trailer and the cover but really disappointed
Feb 15, 2018 12:42 PM

May 2016
Loved every second of it a truly beautiful movie and this was sadly the last episode of Ghibli movies that I haven't watched but hey at least Hayao Miyazaki last movie is in progress now. 8/10
Feb 17, 2018 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Relaxing movie that reminds me of the Flying Witch anime. There is not only goodness, but everyday life, even with sad days; this is what I really appreciated. The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

8/10
Feb 19, 2018 9:50 AM

Apr 2017
terrablu2003 said:
The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

During the production phase, Hayao Miyazaki and his artists traveled to Sweden to research for the film. The photographs they took of Stockholm and Visby, formed the basis of the fictional city of Koriko. The city also contains elements of Lisbon, Paris, San Francisco, and Milan.

The street name signs in the city have been copied from those used in Stockholm, down to using the names (or parts of names) of existing Stockholm streets and squares in at least two scenes, including "Klara Norra Ky" taken from Klara Norra Kyrkogata (Northern Klara Church Street).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097814/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2
Feb 19, 2018 11:22 AM

Nov 2011
zodd0 said:
terrablu2003 said:
The backgrounds are magnificent, who knows from which city they were taken, always if it exists in reality. Question, does anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.

During the production phase, Hayao Miyazaki and his artists traveled to Sweden to research for the film. The photographs they took of Stockholm and Visby, formed the basis of the fictional city of Koriko. The city also contains elements of Lisbon, Paris, San Francisco, and Milan.

The street name signs in the city have been copied from those used in Stockholm, down to using the names (or parts of names) of existing Stockholm streets and squares in at least two scenes, including "Klara Norra Ky" taken from Klara Norra Kyrkogata (Northern Klara Church Street).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097814/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Many thanks for the information, so there is not just one place to visit. I will try to discover at least the places taken in the city of Milan for now.
May 2, 2018 2:13 PM
Aug 2017
What's with Tombo looking exactly like Wally from Where's Wally? It's almost like they're the same character xd

Speaking of Tombo, did anyone else notice that both Kiki's dad and Tombo are goofy and kind guys with glasses? I think it was a hint that Kiki will marry him just the way her mom married someone similar.

The art was so beautiful, especially in 89 standarts. The city was like a mix of Istanbul and some cities in Italy. Of course Istanbul isn't much of an amazing city like it used to be due to overpopulation but it still reminded me of it a little.

I also really liked Jiji but his name kinda confuses me. Isn't jiji a slang for "old man" in Japanese? Maybe it's pronounced a bit different, I'm not sure. Overall it was a nice movie with a nice message. Sometimes you feel down and you somehow don't have that motivation you usually have, those things can just happen for no appearant reason and they'll be temporary if you don't let it drain your hope.

Oh, and I think Jiji WAS able to talk to Kiki again once she got her powers back. It wasn't a coincidence that she realized her powers were gone just after she realized Jiji wasn't talking to her anymore. In fact him not talking to her is what made her go "wait, am I losing my flying ability?" in the first place. So yeah, their communication most likely went back to normal once she started flying again.
Adafeloz11May 2, 2018 2:24 PM
Aug 8, 2018 3:52 AM

Dec 2015
That was incredibly boring. I barely watched the first half before the boredom started to turn into irritation. Dropped.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you grown up watching Ghibli movies?

Reckless_weeb - Jun 12, 2022

32 by Zombunny343 »»
Aug 28, 2022 1:57 PM

» Moral of the story?

QueenModdy - Jun 13, 2011

8 by HibiChika »»
Jan 19, 2022 12:44 PM

» About the cat.

Sonata - Mar 28, 2016

8 by Rob7 »»
Apr 21, 2021 5:02 PM

» Kiki's Delivery Service ---> Amazon Drone Delivery

J_LEE_C - Mar 29, 2018

13 by LIQfilms »»
Mar 30, 2018 1:02 PM

» Looking for subbed?

Godel - Jul 16, 2008

8 by Setsuna200 »»
Dec 28, 2012 6:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.