Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Producer of Kamisama no Memochou Rejects Novel Author's Scenario

New
Sep 12, 2011 8:45 AM

Feb 2008
Sugii Hikaru, the author of the Kamisama no Memochou novel, disclosed in the afterword of the eighth volume of the novel that he wrote a scenario for the first episode of the TV anime. However, his scenario was turned down except for the introduction part and the rough outline. He said the final script was totally different from his idea. He put the rejected scenario in the eighth volume of the novel because it would have been wasteful if he had left the scenario unpublished.

Before the airing of the Kamimemo anime, the producer of the anime stated that the original part of the TV anime was produced in cooperation with the novel author.

Sources: Scan of the afterword, Mainichi
NaruleachSep 12, 2011 3:12 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 12, 2011 8:54 AM

Dec 2010
Well of course I can't read it, but I wonder if they choice to rearrange the cases was a mutual decision.
Sep 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Dec 2010
jmal said:
I ended up dropping the show during the Renji arc, but the first episode at least was quite good. Best one by far. So whatever was done differently, I guess it worked out anyway. Would have been interesting to see what was changed though.
You might consider picking it back up for the final arc. It's really quite good.

The in-betweens are so-so.
Sep 12, 2011 9:00 AM

Aug 2010
I thought the first episode was better than anything they have put on screen since then. I wonder if J.C. Staff actually improved something. Quickly! Do a RIE show! Oh, wait...
Sep 12, 2011 9:28 AM

Feb 2009
Interesting. Coz the only story/arc that I found to be interesting was that first episode. Rest was okay to meh, give or take a few. Last episode, particularly before the ED song, surprised me though. Why did they do that щ(゚Д゚щ)
Don't think this last arc will save the show overall but let's see.
Sep 12, 2011 9:29 AM

Nov 2008
i thought the first episode was rather interesting.
Sep 12, 2011 9:36 AM

Aug 2008
Shit sucks regardless. Ep1 was at least half watchable.
Sep 12, 2011 9:39 AM

Jul 2010
The first episode was kinda boring to be honest :P
Sep 12, 2011 9:43 AM

Aug 2009

I bet this is also what JC Staff did to Kamimemo.
Sep 12, 2011 10:28 AM

Dec 2010
Well, that explains why I don't like it... The first episode was kind of okay to me.
Sep 12, 2011 10:30 AM
Jun 2008
I drop the Anime because they fail adapt properly.2ep per volume is too little to tell a decent story ....
Sep 12, 2011 10:36 AM

Jul 2010
I thought first episode was better than rest of the show.
Sep 12, 2011 10:38 AM

Nov 2007
So it was original anime story after all, I felt a bit different from listening to Drama CD (I don't read the novels).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 12, 2011 12:18 PM

Jan 2010
STM said:

I bet this is also what JC Staff did to Kamimemo.

Don't forget that some of the JC Staff people made this fan-made anime.

I shudder every time I think about it.
Ok™
Sep 12, 2011 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
JC Staff, not caring about the original authors wishes? Say it ain't so!

Sep 12, 2011 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
So wait, did they just turn down a suggestion and adapted the first volume normally or did J.C.Staff actually improve something on their own? Because that'd be some worldview-shattering stuff right there.
Sep 12, 2011 1:31 PM

Jun 2011
It seems like something that an original author would say when the adaptation is unpopular = =
I didn't read the light novel, but I really like the manga adaptation.
For me, the manga has better character development. The anime is just... meh... like common, at least stick with the part where Ayaka was in the hospital at the beginning
Sep 12, 2011 1:38 PM

Aug 2011
the latest episode was good... but if the authors concept meant that what happened in the latter part of episode 10 never happened, then i say.... BOO YOU, DIRECTOR!!!!
Sep 12, 2011 1:56 PM
Jul 2009
NyuuuuSaaaan said:
So wait, did they just turn down a suggestion and adapted the first volume normally or did J.C.Staff actually improve something on their own? Because that'd be some worldview-shattering stuff right there.

The first volume has been saved for the last arc of the anime.

What happened was that the original author created his own story to be used as the first episode. However, the anime producers (probably scriptwriter Seishi Minakami, who's renowned for co-writing Paranoia Agent and Paprika) rejected it and wrote their own script using his basic premise.

Minakami did an excellent job though.....so far, the first episode has proven to be better than the rest of the series both in tone and dialogue. It definitely played to his strengths as a screenwriter.
Sep 12, 2011 1:57 PM

May 2008
This is the reason why people hate JC Staff; they have the potential to make something really good, thanks to the talented authors of many light novels, but don't because they actually don't care about authors.

I watched a few episodes and it was really boring. I think JC Staff is trying to make Alice a real tsundere, but I don't think that really works with her shy character. I doubt she's actually like the way she is in the anime, given JC Staff's history of abusing the tsundere character itself.
Sep 12, 2011 3:05 PM
Oct 2010
where is kamisama no memochou hentai
Sep 12, 2011 3:24 PM

Jun 2011
Well, it is J.C. Staff, making adaptions suck is what they do. Oh, wait, adaptions suck in general anyway, since they're all inherently bad for the most part.
Sep 12, 2011 3:45 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Sanguis said:
Well, it is J.C. Staff, making adaptions suck is what they do. Oh, wait, adaptions suck in general anyway, since they're all inherently bad for the most part.

This.

I like how people all blame J.C. Staff for everything they do. Sure, they botched nearly all of the LN adaption they did.... but perfect adaptation are rare anyway so it's not just J.C. Staff.

Plus, I hope they redeem themselves with the upcoming Shana adaptation. They have NO excuse of messing it up after all these years of preparations.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 12, 2011 4:10 PM

Nov 2007
disapointed animation directors can ruin peoples work

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Sep 12, 2011 5:06 PM

Mar 2009
What else is new? This happens all over, and with many different anime studios. It's not just J.C. Staff.
Sep 12, 2011 7:03 PM

May 2009
woah really... that's kind of unexpected... I haven't read the novel so I don't know the original story but it seems interesting still
Sep 12, 2011 10:35 PM

Jun 2010
Mormegil said:
What else is new? This happens all over, and with many different anime studios. It's not just J.C. Staff.

This. :/
Sep 12, 2011 10:41 PM

Sep 2010
McRib said:
Don't forget that some of the JC Staff people made this fan-made anime.

I shudder every time I think about it.

what anime is that

im pretty sure tsukihime never had an anime adaptation

ever
Sep 12, 2011 11:05 PM

Jul 2010
I'd like to have seen that scene. First ep was borderline bad though the rest turned out decent enough.

"Hey, we just met you, but you're like.. totally one of us now. So yeah, go help Alice chan asap." Really.
Sep 13, 2011 1:47 AM
May 2009
Acquiesc3 said:

"Hey, we just met you, but you're like.. totally one of us now. So yeah, go help Alice chan asap." Really.

Is that the introduction-part they left intact? :D

Anyway, I just love how everyone here blames J.C. Staff for destroying the LN, even though this News says the first episode was by them, not several little things people don't like. The very first episode that was so highly praised by many. (and the following ones not keeping the quality)

Really, the logical conclusion would be: The bad stuff is in the LN and J.C. Staff actually improved things for episode 1, but after that started to adapt the LN..
I should probably watch the show before I say that... but I'd like to see J.C. staff having the same freedom that they had for ep1 of this show for a whole show. It might actually turn out surprisingly good... especially because "normal" adaptions are usually not the best.
Sep 13, 2011 4:03 AM

Aug 2009
negativedemyx said:
Mormegil said:

This. :/
In JC Staff, this happens almost all the time, not like other studios.
Sep 13, 2011 6:08 AM
Jun 2009
If they only let the novel author become the boss, then the series could have been more interesting. Here I am, still stuck at episode 3 since I feel no urge in continuing it sooner.
Sep 13, 2011 9:33 AM
Jun 2008
first episode(anime) is good and its original but they left out many character development for the mc from LN vol 1....
Its just a good episode but overall ,the plot just kinda mess up.
Acquiesc3 said:

....it ended up something like this.

and ep2&3 doesn't make any sense at all.
Jul 18, 2012 7:50 PM
Apr 2010
rpn101 said:
woah really... that's kind of unexpected... I haven't read the novel so I don't know the original story but it seems interesting still

the light novels are exponentially better then the anime. the anime really mangled up the novels. and no it is actually not that hard to do a good and faithful adaptation. will there ever be a perfect adaptation no, but unless the series is ill suited for medium then you can do a strong adaptation.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 13 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
13 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.