Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2011 11:06 AM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's strange for me to see Schönbrunn Palace depicted in an anime as I live near the real one ^^.

But wow, this episode made a huge timejump once again. Suddenly Antoinette has 2 children and gives no more audiences.
I wonder how Oscar could still be ignorant of the peoples true feelings and circumstances. IN one episode her eyes were opened in this regard, I thought.

And wait what? It's been two years since Fersen left? That can't be right. It's been four years since the necklace scene in the beginning and the children are also clearly older than it would be possible if it was really just 2 years since he left...

But it's great to see Robespierre and Bernard again. And the barfight was classic.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 9, 2012 5:13 AM

Sep 2008
I've been to the Petit Trianon, so I can relate to that strange feeling, Higashi_no_Kaze. :)

This WAS a huge time jump. I am sort of disappointed that Oscar keeps giving the same excuse/"reason" for not becoming upset with Marie Antoinette (the "She's so beautiful blah blah blah" statements she always makes). Beauty does not a great ruler make; Oscar should know this quite well...

It did seem like the time intervals were inconsistent with what they were saying, but I'd assume that four or five years has passed. (A Wikipedia check confirms that; he joined the French military in 1779, five years after meeting Marie Antoinette, and returned to France five years after that, in 1784. So this episode is sometime between those two dates.)
Feb 17, 2013 4:37 AM

Sep 2010
Wow another random timeskip. -___- Marie's children are beautiful though.

lol bar fight and Oscar got beaten and she can also throw a couple back like a man. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 25, 2013 2:43 PM

May 2009
it's funny jeanne always said she wanted to be rich so she could wear beautiful dresses but now that she is she always wears that same black one
Oct 19, 2013 12:45 AM

Jul 2008
Another timeskip, this just moves along huh? We can see the people are becoming even more pissed and poor-stricken. Marie is STILL the naive idiot spoiled brat. I have no doubt she loves her kids, but she absolutely fails as a queen so does the king for that matter.

I feel bad for Oscar about the fight, but she stuck her head in the sand too for failing to realize how bad it still is out in the country and she continues to not try to do anything to spur the queen into action because she looks so happy, well the rest of the country deserves some happiness and stability too.

I sense the revolution is about to hit hard.
Sep 30, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2011
Ah, was curious about the diamond incident because I did recall it being mentioned in the textbook or class... accuracy ain't bad. :O

Marie Antoinette needs to wake up to her responsibilities as a Queen. Like mentioned, I'm sure she loves her kids, but she's more responsible to the country than to them. A nanny can take care of the children. But only she (and the king) can take care of France. BRING ON THE REVOLUTION!

Oscar needs to wake up and smell the poverty! Outside of fancy ballrooms and the gardens, animosity grows and the people are facing difficult situations. Stop worrying about Marie Antoinette. She's only 1 person. There's 20 million citizens of France that suffer because of her and the lavish lifestyles of the court. And even the nobles are beginning to rebel.

Funny how they mddg Robespierre and he just sits there and watches the bar fight.

I'm beginning to feel excited now as the story moves towards the Revolution. The main reason I started this show. :D
Oct 5, 2014 3:31 PM

Mar 2012
Really disappointed in Oscar acting like the selfish Marie's happiness, which comes from screwing the people over, is more important than the people's happiness.

Also dam sure those kids aren't the king's, dam hoe.
Mar 10, 2015 12:32 PM

Apr 2014
ha! that bar fight!

it's really interesting to see the nobels' and poor peoples' side of living and how they react to each other. I thought Oscar finally realized how foolish Marie is, but I guess she cares for her too much

although it's all Marie's fault, you can't really blame her since she doesn't know how dangerous her actions are. to us, she's stupid and selfish but from her point of view she probably doesn't see it

poor Andre, I thought Oscar would love him back but I guess she sees him as her brother
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2015 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
Wow Jeanne just takes "bitch" to the next level.
May 27, 2015 6:20 PM

Jan 2010
It's so weird to see Oscar drunk and just done with it all. Then again, if I were her I'd probably need a strong drink as well.
Jan 8, 2016 10:00 AM
Nov 2014
Wtf, that timeskip tho.... Marie looks more beautiful now. But she's still naive as hell, damn you woman.
Mar 27, 2016 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
I'm confused about the time skip, why did the queen's first child look 6 years old if only two years have passed since Fersen went to the expedition?
Jun 11, 2016 10:32 PM

Jan 2013
So she didn't even check where the letter came from and just burned it?
Well well well...
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 6, 2016 5:16 AM

Apr 2009
Can't even be angry at Marie Antoinette. She's so naive and has absolutely no idea what means to be a queen. But this is what I don't understand. She was raised to be queen, wasn't she? And yet she was not taught a thing about the ruling? I really don't understand why queen and king are even needed if they can totally neglect their duties and get away with it.
Apr 20, 2017 6:26 AM

Jun 2016
Loving the relentless march of time. Antoinette finally managed to pop an heir out - sad that both of them are doomed because their mother is absolutely terrible at ruling. The country is at the brink of revolution. Soon!
Jul 7, 2017 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
Oscar is spoiling Antoinette too much
Jul 11, 2017 1:57 AM

Jul 2015
The time might keep passing fast af, but Marie won't stop being retarded.
Sep 26, 2017 3:14 AM
May 2012
i'm disappointed with oscar.
Oct 8, 2017 6:02 PM

Jun 2016
Looks like the shoddy explanation of historical events is biting into the main plot in a serious manner now. Time to clear things up.

Pullman said:
But wow, this episode made a huge timejump once again. Suddenly Antoinette has 2 children and gives no more audiences.

And wait what? It's been two years since Fersen left? That can't be right. It's been four years since the necklace scene in the beginning and the children are also clearly older than it would be possible if it was really just 2 years since he left...

In actual history she was pregnant with her first child before Fersen made his return visit in 1778. Marie Thérèse was born in December of that year, while (Louis) Joseph was born in 1781. Meanwhile Antoinette's mother (Empress Maria Theresa) died in 1780. The diamond necklace affair occurred in 1785, but direct attempts to sell the necklace to the royal family by the jewelers were made in 1778 and 1781. The anime (and I'm assuming the magna as well since this is an adaptation) is probably at 1783 right now since the American Revolutionary War just drew to a close, but considering how mangled everything else is there's no clear way to tell.

I understand that the anime/manga is putting the cohesiveness of the story first and that the main focus was never in raw historical facts in the first place, but in my opinion this untold re-arranging of the historical timeline is neither clean nor necessary. There's no excuse for cramming 7 years worth of events into one episode and pretending like it all happened suddenly 22 episodes in. A proper story could have been made with the historical events occurring in the right order. Antoinette's fake pregnancy could have been cleared up with her actually getting pregnant in a resolve to remain honest (both re-affirming and developing her character traits), her affair with Fersen would have even more impact with her being an expecting/recent mother at the same time, and Fersen's character could have been explored further with him being present for the diamond necklace affair as he was in real life. In this way the butchering of the historical timeline is a reasonable fault to press on the story. What's been shown already is by no means bad from an entertainment perspective, but it's not all it could have aspired to be either.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, more on the episode.

Pullman said:
I wonder how Oscar could still be ignorant of the peoples true feelings and circumstances. IN one episode her eyes were opened in this regard, I thought.

Oscar seems to be struggling with both sides of this issue. On the one hand she knows there's problems with the state of France and its people, but on the other she can't find it in herself to blame Antoinette because of her redeeming qualities, and as a friend doesn't want to see her suffer. I do wish she tried to push her in the right direction more (it's been made clear multiple times that she wields massive influence over her and isn't using it much) but I also can't blame her for not going full Robespierre (or even partial Robespierre, that man was insane in real life).
TK8878Oct 8, 2017 6:30 PM
Nov 25, 2017 2:20 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode. Seems like the diamond necklace scandal has began. Marie seems even more beautiful after the timeskip, plus she seems to have matured too. It's sweet to watch her mellow out after becoming a mother. She still seems to ignore and reject her duties as Queen though. She's definitely not a bad person but she is quite naive and self-centered. It's interesting to see Oscar's perspective too, she loves the Queen and remains loyal to her but she can't ignore the nobility's anger along with the poor people's rage.
Dec 13, 2017 2:26 PM

Nov 2016
Oscar trying to drown her sorrows with alcohol, that doesn't really suit her usual self,but it's also good to see a more vulnerable side of hers,makes her more well rounded as a character.

And lmao, she just burned the letter,despite being already mother of two children,still as naive as ever. Seems like shit is going to hit the fan soon.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2019 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
I bet Antoinette's children are Fersen's doing.

Well, I'm already fed up from all of the Queen's overwhelming selfishness.

People have suffered enough. French revolution, RISE!
Sep 10, 2020 12:41 PM

Jul 2015
Damn events really happened fast this episode, first Marie having two children, then her mother in Austria dying and now a sudden debt because of that bitch Jeanne. I really wonder if the queen is supposed to meet the nobles and talk about their problems....what the hell does the king besides making some locks?!?

Jan 18, 2021 2:07 PM

Mar 2020
Holy shit, things took a huge turn. Jeanne just fucked everything up with that plan... It seems like the revolution is getting closer now that Robespierre has reappeared, and also that bernard guy is probably gonna play an important role in the future.

I really wonder what the King does tho, I get that this story is focusing on the queen but still... he's just a useless character lmao.
Joe, Joe Forever....
Feb 11, 2021 8:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I understand where she is coming from. Where is her husband in all of this? He's the King. It should be him taking these audiences, not his wife. Specially if she's taking the time to raise their children,
For the record, motherhood has really suited Marie. She has really evolved into a MILF.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 3, 2021 2:27 AM

Nov 2018
King is absolutely useless and childish egotistical creature who just wants to live life freely is in charge of the country ... well well well

Oscar was supposed to be a voice of reason , but she only acts on her moral beliefs , almost 0 brain work now and too much blind loyalty to the queen.

All my wolves, begin to howl
Wake me up, the time is now
Oh, can you hear the drumming?
Oh, there's a revolution coming
I hate everyone equally
Mar 31, 2021 12:32 AM

Aug 2018
At least her children are from the king, hopefully :)

Anyways, yeah it looks like the revolution is gonna happen soon, the nobles and the people are sick and tired of this bullshit the queen is causing.

May 29, 2022 6:05 PM

Dec 2021
shoutout to grown Marie .. she officially cougar status now!!

But wtf .. did she just give up all her duties as the queen ?
----

Interesting 4 year time skip in merely one episode ...

whatever happened to Polignac? not that I miss her presence .. she's been replaced by another bitch named Jeannie

why didn't Du Barry get to keep the necklace ? that jeweler is an idiot for pawning the necklace off to a nobody who's not even a regular in the castle ...

and damn Robineque is a savage .. he just watched as Osvar and Andre got beat up and didn't even lift a finger . yes you can feel it ...
the revolution is right around the corner
Aug 29, 2022 9:47 PM

Apr 2016
Andre: "not even the rich like her now".

Oscar: "but she's smiling and is more beautiful than ever". I get it Oscar, she's hotter but you are back to square one of La Revolution.
Nov 26, 2022 7:46 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
small fires, the nobles, end of the American war, dirty laundry, etc... something very big is brewing!!!! kekeke

Apr 30, 2023 1:40 PM

Jan 2020
Ahh... Oscar... 
May 30, 2023 2:46 AM

Jan 2021
I don't know why or rather I can't pinpoint the exact reason but I felt that Oscar seemed weaker than usual, especially in this episode. Starting from when the Cardinal thanked her, she didn't try to find out what it was about considering Marie and her mother hated him so much (and why would he be there?), then when she met Jeanne at night... until this episode... though it proves that even someone as perfect as Oscar is a human too (who has flaws and can make mistakes).

Dec 4, 2023 1:25 AM

Apr 2017
So much time has passed. Marie's daughter looks a bit older than a toddler, so that's several years being skipped. Plus she gave birth to another baby boy. Then Fersen has been gone for a few years, 4 as Marie stated. So four years have passed, at least.

Wtf happened to Polignac. I guess Polignac got tired of scamming, since her daughter committed suicide. Though we should've had an explanation for that. As a matter of fact, I didn't even see Rosalie this episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.