Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 9, 2011 9:46 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Introduces the girl who looks like ugly ver. of Nausicaa... even the pair got ugly.

Poisonous medicine to kill a strong bug... It's not working...

Then the soldier is blaming that the medicine was not made sooner...

And the way to kill the bugs are to read the book.

Oh, they went into a world of book, so the art was different.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 9, 2011 1:05 PM

Jun 2011
Well, at the beggining I was wondering 'What the hell happened to art?' O.O In the end, I understood why xD
Anyway, I didn't like the episode, I got really bored while watching it...
Btw, what's wrong with the episode numbers (not on the MAL), why does it say that the next will be episode 12? I noticed this awhile ago xD
Sep 9, 2011 3:11 PM

Oct 2010
not much to say about this episode... the whole "your role is to get boss around" part had me laughing a bit since at end Disward kinda does all she asks with out complaining.
huh?
Sep 9, 2011 4:50 PM

Aug 2010
Art style freaked me out, glad it made sense in the end..

Sep 9, 2011 5:29 PM

Mar 2011
What an ingenious way to have a low budget episode. To make it obvious that they were in a world inside a book, the art was like that of a book, although it was of course animated.

The episode was so-so.

So, the series is starting off really slowly, Dalian is a child Loli (rather than the sexualised kind), it's set in a European country (My homeland) just after the first world war, there's another girl (Camilla) that Dalian calls names, Dalian is also a knowledgeable/intelligent girl who does most the thinking and bosses the protagonist around. What is this, Gosick?
Sep 9, 2011 6:28 PM

Sep 2008
I ಠ_ಠ'd for like forever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2011 7:05 PM

Jun 2011
I like the art, I like it better than the rest of the season
Sep 9, 2011 7:34 PM

Jan 2011
my god was that boring,i felt bad but thought it was funny at the same time when she thought the town was safe and i yelled out *Kaboom!* and you know the rest XD.

-1 for art even if it was a book.
Sep 9, 2011 8:05 PM

Feb 2010
Heiwajima_Mayu said:
Well, at the beggining I was wondering 'What the hell happened to art?' O.O In the end, I understood why xD
Anyway, I didn't like the episode, I got really bored while watching it...
Btw, what's wrong with the episode numbers (not on the MAL), why does it say that the next will be episode 12? I noticed this awhile ago xD

I think this has been discussed before.. but there were some episodes that we're 2 part episodes and they counted as 2 eps. That's why we're through 11 story lines already..

I enjoyed the art... the episode wasn't amazing, but I enjoyed the setting.
Sep 9, 2011 8:41 PM

Jul 2009
InfiniteRyvius said:
What an ingenious way to have a low budget episode. To make it obvious that they were in a world inside a book, the art was like that of a book, although it was of course animated.

It isn't low budget art. The art is courtesy of Osamu Kobayashi, who provided this episode's storyboard direction.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 9, 2011 9:08 PM

Jul 2010
Whoa! The art looks so different!
Sep 9, 2011 9:36 PM

Sep 2007
Oh god, it's TTGL ep4 all over again.
Sep 9, 2011 9:43 PM

Jan 2010
I figured it was a book when they were at that fortress and Dalian said "it's too late for this world" or whatever. It just made sense to me almost instantly.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Sep 9, 2011 10:32 PM
Nov 2009
Worst episode of the series so far.
Sep 9, 2011 10:37 PM

Apr 2010
arsonal said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

It isn't low budget art. The art is courtesy of Osamu Kobayashi, who provided this episode's storyboard direction.

I still think it looked and animated low budget. I mean just look at a still frame like this:

You shouldn't have bad art that close up if you have a good budget.

Sep 9, 2011 10:50 PM

Dec 2007
RyanSaotome said:
arsonal said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

I still think it looked and animated low budget. I mean just look at a still frame like this:

I totally concur with Ryan Saotome. The storybook style was well-drawn for backgrounds, but the animation was just dreadful. Character movements were jerky and had a very low framerate. Mouth flaps were off, and had inconsistent shapes. All in all it was very disconcerting to watch. Barring some incomprehensible stylistic motive, this is probably the worst animation I have ever seen out of Gainax.

Overall, my frustration with this episode reflects my frustration with the show in general. The change in style and the concept of the story had so much potential. The first minute had me thinking that this could be the episode that brings this series into it own. Sadly, it failed at this and ended up being one of the worst episodes. The ending is particularly to blame, as it made you question whether the story you watched had any value whatsoever.
Sep 9, 2011 10:51 PM
Apr 2011
That was... strange.
The mouth movements were really distracting.
Sep 9, 2011 10:56 PM

Apr 2010
Bdiah said:
Barring some incomprehensible stylistic motive, this is probably the worst animation I have ever seen out of Gainax.

The only episode by Gainax I think was worse animated was TTGL Ep. 4... and guess what, it was the same guy!

How does this guy still have a job?

Sep 10, 2011 1:19 AM

Jul 2010
Dear Gainax,

Never do that again for the love of god.

- KiraMustDie
Sep 10, 2011 1:37 AM

Feb 2011
Dalian has eyebrow fetish :D

Eeeh Fushigi Yuugi. They went inside the book.
Sep 10, 2011 5:28 AM

May 2010
That art was..........although i knew that they must have a reason,that may have entered into a book of art or something like that(lol).but in the end it returned to normal.i don't know how i watched this episode thoroughly but in the end it went well due to Dalian's help..it was ok i guess this episode i mean 2.5/5
Sep 10, 2011 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
Probably the best episode of the series so far, nice to see some GAINAX creativity, them going inside the book was a spectacular twist. I still wonder how the series will finish and what will conclude from it all, but I'm interested. 4 more episodes :)
Sep 10, 2011 9:05 AM

Nov 2009
Yeah was so so. You're right, it felt Nausica like with Ira's art, and then destructive bugs. I am not exactly sure how or what type of books they were entering.
Sep 10, 2011 9:11 AM

Nov 2008
Awesome, I wish they'd animated it this way from the start. But I guess then they'd have to find another different style for this episode. Either way, it's easily my favourite episode.
Sep 10, 2011 10:29 AM

Jun 2011
I really adored the art change from the start, it had a nostalgic feel to me. I wish more anime had art styles like that, it's so creative and nice to look at.
Woah, I didn't realize that Huey was so tolerant of Dalian until now. She insults him and he just calmly replies with "Yeah, yeah."
No Flam this episode, again. D:
Sep 10, 2011 11:29 AM
Aug 2011
Not a bad episode, the art change was a bit hard to get used to but was interesting.
Sep 10, 2011 1:41 PM
Nov 2010
Well, it was not a great episode...
Sep 10, 2011 1:50 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like this show would be a lot better if the episodes were longer.

The whole show feels so rushed to me.
Sep 10, 2011 4:15 PM

Dec 2009
iCab said:

Rushed? I don't think it's rushed, 'til now i really don't see a real story for this anime to at least say it's being rushed. Everyone somehow know the Biblioteca Mistica, which i think it's weird since i thought no one believed in it's existence.
Every episode already starts with Dalian and Huey searching for some book - maybe this can be called rushed, but i believe that if they really wanted and if the show really had a story, the anime would flow much better. 'Til now they didn't even say anything about Huey's grandfather and that pink haired girl that appears sometimes with a blonde boy that looks like Huey or maybe is his grandfather.
The only good thing until now was Flamberge and Hal.
Well, that's just my opinion.

Boring episode as always.
Sep 10, 2011 7:16 PM

May 2011
It didn't feel rushed but....WTH was that?! Ugh that was too painful!!! Please don't EVER do that again!!!...EVER.

I’m just trying to be okay. Some days it’s harder than others. I hide away the most real parts of myself from everyone else. The emotions that I try to escape from. The constant pain I feel. The nightmares that keep me awake at night.

It hurts sometimes... knowing that the world is continuing happily all around me while I continue to drown in alcohol and slowly die inside myself.

Sep 10, 2011 7:19 PM

Aug 2010
Art was cool.
Sep 10, 2011 8:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Again, a very interesting episode. Those who find this series boring should pay more attention to the details and the wonderful references behind the Gensho.

People who complains about the art: I'm sorry but this is far from being called "bad" art. It was clearly intentional in this case (they were smart enough to integrate it within the story).
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 10, 2011 8:48 PM

Sep 2010
Oh look, the art style changed in a way that makes it seem as if it downgraded, but it was still better.
Sep 10, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2010
wakka9ca said:
People who complains about the art: I'm sorry but this is far from being called "bad" art. It was clearly intentional in this case (they were smart enough to integrate it within the story).

Art is subjective. Everything was less detailed, felt washed out, and had lots of QUALITY scenes. T o me, that was bad. Maybe you liked it, but nobody is really right or wrong when it comes to debating art. Some people think that blobs of paint on a canvas is good art, after all!

Sep 10, 2011 9:47 PM
Sep 2009
*raises hand* I liked it (the art, I mean)~

Fun Fact: I remember this art from episode five (technically, ten) of Panty and Stocking. Point being--that was my favorite episode.
Sep 10, 2011 10:11 PM

Dec 2009
Don't know why people are complaining about the art for, I thought it was unique.
Episode was alright though.
Sep 11, 2011 12:49 AM

Mar 2009
tsubasalover said:

Introduces the girl who looks like ugly ver. of Nausicaa...

I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that she looked somewhat like Nausicaa.

Really bad episode. Strange change of style, and the story wasn't anything special either.
Sep 11, 2011 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
Liinah said:
iCab said:

Rushed? I don't think it's rushed, 'til now i really don't see a real story for this anime to at least say it's being rushed. Everyone somehow know the Biblioteca Mistica, which i think it's weird since i thought no one believed in it's existence.
Every episode already starts with Dalian and Huey searching for some book - maybe this can be called rushed, but i believe that if they really wanted and if the show really had a story, the anime would flow much better. 'Til now they didn't even say anything about Huey's grandfather and that pink haired girl that appears sometimes with a blonde boy that looks like Huey or maybe is his grandfather.
The only good thing until now was Flamberge and Hal.
Well, that's just my opinion.

Boring episode as always.

I mean, it just seems to me that when a problem has risen, it is solved immediately and the episode is over.

I'm just comparing it to other episodic shows too much.
Sep 11, 2011 1:43 AM

Sep 2011
The art was completly different. It was okay, I didn't really hated it. But I prefer the normal art.
Sep 11, 2011 2:35 AM

Sep 2008
I really enjoyed the art in this episode, as I think the rest of the show looks "too standard" in my eyes. A unique flair to the art almost always helps a series, and I kinda wish every episode would look like this. Maybe the characters movements could have been better, but otherwise? I'm sold!
Sep 11, 2011 5:25 AM

Aug 2010
eh it was okay, im still wondering when they're gonna properly introduce the eyepatch girl pair and the connections between all three if there is one (which i hope there is)
the story is so cliche and the reaching into dalian's chest sequence in this kind of art sucked >_>; lol at the bugs, overgrown mantis lawl
Sep 11, 2011 5:31 AM

Jul 2011
Lol I was wondering what happened to the animation, then come to find out they were inside of the book. It was a interesting concept in its own way I suppose. Looking forward to next episode.
Sep 11, 2011 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
RyanSaotome said:
arsonal said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Derp!Dalian, I laugh so hard at this xDD

Well, the art, the art, but also the episode was kind of senseless... xD
MALoweenMansion! 2021:

main candy:

extra candy: 4x

Sep 11, 2011 1:10 PM

May 2008
Little boring..also I was wondering if it was just me that was seeing things with the art change..huh..guess not D| Was just the story book after all..

Sep 11, 2011 2:30 PM

Aug 2010
I liked the idea of trying to change the art to look more like a book and fit the plot but... Sorry, I didn't like the animation at all. I think they could have tried harder :/ It's a nice change and all, but it really looked like they had run out of money. The backgrounds were great, the characters not so much. A book-like art is not a an excuse for derp scenes.

The story was ok too, I liked how they added the bookworms into a story about books XD
Sep 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Mar 2011
Mormegil said:
tsubasalover said:

Introduces the girl who looks like ugly ver. of Nausicaa...

I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that she looked somewhat like Nausicaa.

I'm not the only one then

I actually liked the story. The art is so-so, I have no problem with it, but it's not animated well. The characters are like bunch of figures moving to me because their movements are so stiff.
Sep 11, 2011 5:43 PM

Mar 2008
Haters... haters everywhere.
No... exceptions.
Sep 12, 2011 11:21 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
I liked the change in art style for this episode. I like the experimentation and unique feel it had. Of course, this should only be implemented for this single episode. The episode was decent.
Sep 12, 2011 12:13 PM

Aug 2008
Who would've thought they were traversing a book? It was very nice, calming
and a good change of pace. And I loved the art style, for this one episode anyway. *thumbs up*

Sep 12, 2011 3:15 PM

May 2011
Knew they were inside a book after they mentioned world is falling apart in the beginning, just wasn't sure what they were doing there till they explained it. I guess it's pretty unique that the whole point was to kill bugs which damaged the book's story and condition by actually going inside the book.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

107 by lushwang »»
Mar 29, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 12, 2011

72 by Bunille »»
Dec 20, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

63 by removed-user »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:58 AM

» LN volume???

Ghefira - Aug 19, 2020

4 by Ghefira »»
Oct 23, 2023 3:41 AM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MusashiRose - Aug 19, 2011

94 by HimeCrycho »»
Mar 21, 2023 11:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.