Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2011 2:23 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Volume 8

The Morning Departure (3)

[Pg.199-216]

Sure didn't expect that. He was thinking the exact same thing as Griffith. I wonder what's gonna happen now. Will Griffith pursue him? All in all, this was a good Volume. :)

Apr 28, 2013 5:37 AM

Jun 2009
What a chapter of an absolutely great volume. The emotions here were very powerful and Griffith looks like a man crushed. You have to wonder if he's bothered by losing a friend, a "tool" who has been absolutely essential to his rise to power. Or is it because he was bested by a man he thought was beneath him? See, with Griffith I've never been completely sure what his feelings for Guts were or if he was merely using him. Personally I think that it's the former yet.....

Casca is a woman that actually didn't know what she wanted out of this situation. She wished for Griffith to win, yeah, but it seems that it was because she wanted him to force Guts to stay instead of her idol just winning in general. Love the part at the end where she hesitated to call for Guts, maybe she thought it would be a "betrayal" of Griffith. In any case, Guts left Griffith taking not only a valuable asset of the Hawk but maybe even the heart of a girl that Griffith takes for granted.

Things should be VERY interesting from here on out. I think this was very close to where the anime ended, so I wonder if there is some new content coming up?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
This was an amazing chapter, was so tense and very powerful. I honestly don't know where it's going to go from here on out but i have come to hold very high expectations for this series.

The characters are great as well, was starting to get sick of one dimensional paper characters :D i just can't read griffith, i can't tell what he actually feels towards guts, i can only imagine how his character will develop from now on, very much looking forward to it. Stayed up later than i should have reading this >.< gonna be a long tiresome day tomorrow LOL
jimbob1141Apr 28, 2013 3:00 PM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 2, 2014 3:22 PM

Apr 2013
What an intense chapter. A man wants to find his purpose in life and no one has the right to stop him.
Jul 18, 2015 5:18 AM
Nov 2014
Best chapter so far, kept my eyes on the screen xD. Sad to see Guts leaving...
Nov 6, 2015 3:32 PM

Apr 2014
I don't think Griffith ever looked at Guts as a tool or a friend. It's more possessive and patronizing than that. Like losing... I don't have a word for it. Dog isn't the right word.
DawningFogNov 6, 2015 3:40 PM
Dec 19, 2015 2:55 AM
May 2012
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy must you do this.
Dec 30, 2015 7:56 PM

May 2015
it's sad seeing guts go without even looking back.
Mar 27, 2016 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
HOLY SHIT. It ended in a single strike. What an EPIC conclusion to volume 8! Griffith looked utterly crushed, and Casca's subtle attachment to Guts is clear. I wonder when they'll cross paths yet again...?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 25, 2016 7:01 PM

Feb 2016
Well the conclusion came to fast, it looked like gats is two or three level ahead griffith already.
Nov 5, 2016 3:57 PM

Jan 2016
aaaand here where it all began...
Jan 8, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
I said it last chapter. Griffith doesn't stand a chance against this Guts.
Apr 15, 2017 12:34 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
"Festival's Eve (2)"

Incredible mosntersssss!!! O__O Agais appears the Skeletor Knigt to saves Criket!! Why? :/
Sep 10, 2017 6:32 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, Guts won with only one swing.
Dec 18, 2017 12:22 AM

May 2016
Guts became so different from when he first fought Griffith. No one's stopping him now. Griffith really shouldn't have run his mouth off by the fountain coz it's all biting into his ass now.

He's really possessive of Guts that I can't determine what he sees him as anymore. Casca couldn't choose one so she lost both choices...
Kajo_Senpai69Jan 9, 2018 3:58 PM

Jan 11, 2018 1:53 PM

Mar 2008
absolutely fantastic. Just an amazing chapter.
I really liked that we could read Griffith's thoughts.. that it was shown how he was no longer confident he could win against Guts.. that he had realized that Guts possibly already surpassed him.
Then that one swing.. powerful moment, for both of them!
Jan 15, 2020 8:28 PM
Nov 2018
I’m starting to realize that Guts and Griffith are foils of each other. Whereas one seeks ambition and power after rising, the other just wants to be a normal dude lol. He wants to find his meaning in life like everyone else. Corkus saying “you can never be Griffith” was important because it sets out the different levels of man. No one truly knows what their purpose is in life, so you have people who just aimlessly wonder and hope someone will find the answer for them. You have people who seek it for themselves. And you have people who want to seize life by the balls and make it submit. A lot of the band of Hawk is the first level of just being happy to be a apart of a dream. And I think Guts really unsettles them. It makes them understand where they are. Because I would say he’s the strongest character there because he accepts his weakness as a man and seeks to improve himself just for himself without bothering anyone else. Griffith is Lowkey sociopathic like a CEO or Something of the sort. Doing whatever necessary to get what he wants no matter who he has to sacrifice. So I like that Casca is slowly starting to wake up and realize that she’s just following Griffiths energy and Gutts is a person who starts making them realize that. Honestly He could have never stayed in the band of hawk because he would always cause ripples and attraction to be pulled away from Griffith over time. So I think later on we’re going to see the effects of the wool being pulled from eyes
Jun 10, 2020 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
I love you guts but you're a bitch for leaving the Band of the Hawk.

Lol, I can't compare to nearly any other comment in this thread. I don't have much of a sophisticated outlook. I kinda understand where Guts is coming from, and yet his reason for leaving is still quite vague. I don't know what happens next, but I can't possibly picture how Guts would be happier elsewhere.
Jul 4, 2020 7:53 AM

Dec 2013
insane chapter! loved the single strike of Guts' sword and Griffith's defeat. After all that time on the battlefield it's only natural that his swordplay improved I guess.
Nov 3, 2020 12:33 PM
Jun 2020
Guts leaving made me sad.
Jul 28, 2021 3:34 AM

Jun 2020
festival's eve 2

nvm dat aint puck

who dafuq is it
Aug 4, 2021 9:05 AM

May 2017
man... the impact that this arc has on me. I'm convinced that the golden age arc is peak fiction. One of the best stories I have ever witnessed. This departure scene hits so incredibly hard.

I loved this scene in the anime when I watched it a few years ago. The voice acting, the ost.. but man this manga is a masterpiece. Thank you Kentaro Miura just for this arc alone. Forever a legend.

I've heard that the golden age arc is considered to be berserks best arc by many. I just hope that the quality of the story doesn't drop as much. The story will go into demon territory after this, so I hope that the story does not just turn into this dark fantasy with demons, gods, and devils, but also manages to maintain its beauty in character writing. But I'm confident in Kentaro Miura's writing.
Aug 4, 2021 9:51 AM

Sep 2015
shayed__ said:
man... the impact that this arc has on me. I'm convinced that the golden age arc is peak fiction. One of the best stories I have ever witnessed. This departure scene hits so incredibly hard.

I loved this scene in the anime when I watched it a few years ago. The voice acting, the ost.. but man this manga is a masterpiece. Thank you Kentaro Miura just for this arc alone. Forever a legend.

I've heard that the golden age arc is considered to be berserks best arc by many. I just hope that the quality of the story doesn't drop as much. The story will go into demon territory after this, so I hope that the story does not just turn into this dark fantasy with demons, gods, and devils, but also manages to maintain its beauty in character writing. But I'm confident in Kentaro Miura's writing.

Worry not struggler. Post Golden Age is just as fantastic, if not more so.
Aug 4, 2021 10:20 AM

May 2017
Draconix814 said:
shayed__ said:

Worry not struggler. Post Golden Age is just as fantastic, if not more so.

Glad to hear that. Can't wait to experience and follow Guts on his ever struggling path.
Nov 8, 2021 11:55 AM

Aug 2021
Guts won against Griffith :O
the last chapter was really tense!
Guts surpassed Griffith in last 3 years
but him leaving hawks kind of makes me sad :(
Dec 7, 2021 5:39 AM
Aug 2020
This is where pain begins. The decline of Griffith's mental state and everything starts going to shit
Dec 31, 2021 11:00 AM
Jun 2015
What a chapter and what a brilliant 8th Volume overall!
We went from the Band archiving everything to it falling apart! And these last 4 chapters! Snowy Departure and Morning Departure 1-3.....absolute brilliant writing! That was a masterclass in character writing! Guts, Griffith and Casca's relationship triangle got so beautifully developed and it was shown off in these 4 chapters! Especially Guts and Casca's relationship! They both at this point love each other and I was up until now not really sold by the upcoming GutsxCasca love story but how Miura showed the growth of both characters and the growth to each other. Beautiful. Emotionally these last chapters where something else! I kneel Miura-Sensei.
Guts left and never looked back.....
Casca must be torn apart....
And Griffith is clearly destroyed....
And this my brothers is the moment where the story of Berserk completely changes......
Masterpiece
Feb 11, 2022 6:05 PM

Oct 2016
The building up to this is simply perfect.
It's plausible and convincing that Guts have won, he was always (as Judeau said) the one in most danger in all battles and ahead in all the battles, so all this helped him a lot.
It was kinda emotional too... Guts decide to form his own path.
Mar 15, 2022 4:36 AM

May 2015
Guts won, Griffith lost. Yet this doesn't feel like a victory for anyone.
Apr 8, 2022 12:23 PM
Mar 2018
Breathtaking. That bout was so wonderfully executed. It was short, but it left no room for Guts to even begin to waver in his resolve. He finally proved he can be like a friend to Griffith, even though he was his strongest adversary. I am so looking forward to what the future of this manga holds for Guts!
Apr 17, 2022 10:27 AM

May 2021
Guts has proven his resolve by defeating Griffith in one strike, without getting bloodlusted.

May 26, 2022 4:34 PM

Sep 2019
Very intense chapter, and very quick duel. Indeed guts is way stronger than griffith in swordfight.
Casca probably realised some of the feelings she has for guts and griffith seem pretty shaken too. I wonder what's in store for the hawk and guts in the future
Sep 11, 2022 4:06 PM

Aug 2021
Damn... I guess I got the answer to my question...
Jan 10, 2023 2:10 AM
Dec 2021
Ahh guts cum and leave
Aug 13, 2023 6:18 AM
Sep 2020
Damn, I guess this battle was Griffith's first real defeat. I wonder if Guts will find his dream during his journey
Apr 17, 5:52 PM

Aug 2018
I can't believe my eyes. Guts actually defeated Griffith. Wow.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 376 Discussion

MegamiRem - 11 minutes ago

0 by MegamiRem »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Yesterday, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Apr 23, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Apr 23, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.