Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Initial D
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 6, 2011 1:59 PM

Sep 2009
Ryouske states in one of the episodes (i think in stage 3) that the "D." in Project D. stands for something pretty deep. I watched the entire series and never saw an explanation on what it was. Does anyone know what it stands for?
Oct 15, 2011 8:22 AM
Jun 2011
Project Drift? That's my guess. I don't think they even mention it directly, considering doing a google search leads to no definite answers, except for this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080116005810AABd728
LUGUNDOct 15, 2011 8:36 AM
Oct 15, 2011 8:26 AM
Aug 2010
Project Destroy...?
Oct 15, 2011 12:39 PM

Feb 2011
I think it stands for Domination... Project Domination. They want to leave track records and beat all the other drivers hence why I think domination but I wouldnt be suprised if it was really Project Drift but I would think that would be very anticlimactic.
Oct 29, 2011 3:48 PM
Jun 2008
The "D" in Project D stands for "Driver" or more accurately "the perfect Driver". Ryosuke developed the perfect driving simulation, or would-be perfect simulation except for one last element, the inborn instincts of a racer aka the perfect driver. Not even himself, Ryosuke could execute his perfect driving simulation, however Takumi and his brother Keisuke are the two candidates he has found with the instincts to be the perfect driver. Sure Project D is battling other teams, however to Ryosuke, everytime they battle, Takumi and Keisuke are actually battling each other for the position of the best driver. So Project D is essentially a project to find the perfect driver to complete the missing piece of Ryosuke's perfect driving simulation.

In my opinion, IF stage 5 comes out or even stage 6 if it goes that far, Takumi will eventually master both downhill and uphill. Since he is starting to train on his dad's WRX, a car that is up to par mechanically (possibly even superior due to its boxer engine design, but thats just my car fanaticism talking) with the other race cars. And yes, the WRX (chassie code GC8) in today's standards would be an underpowered car, something right up Bunta and Takumi's alley as compared to it's performance version the WRX STi.
Feb 10, 2013 2:17 AM
Feb 2013
the D stands for Dream! Initial Dream! Project Dream!
May 10, 2014 5:46 AM

Jan 2011
Taken from the initial D forums:

"The last issue of Initial D manga came out and this is it. Initial D has officially ended. We have translated the last chapter to English for every one to enjoy. It is actually a very meaningful chapter that's open-ended, which most people were looking forward to. Open-ended ending means there might be spin-off stories some years later.

If you are reading this far, you are probably looking for a quick summary. Here it is: so they are still having the disbanding party. Tomiguchi (the FD mechanic) talked about how he will continue working in the racing field and Matsumoto (86 mechanic) professed that he will do the same. Fumihiro shocked everyone with the news that Keisuke and Takumi has already gotten admission letters from several professional racing teams. Their dreams won't stop here.

And... at last the meaning of D is revealed. There is a double layers of meaning here. Yes, the D means Dream. However, that dream is to foster world-class drivers and uncovering them when they are still rough diamonds. Wait, diamonds? Yes, D for Diamond, as in diamond in the rough. Initial D stands for Ryousuke's dream to foster and train drivers that is like a rough diamond. They must be polished before being sent out to the world out there. And at the end, Ryousuke fulfilled his dream, as a promise to Kaori. (Remember, Kaori died before the first episode of Initial D. So if you think about it, the whole story now revolves around Ryousuke, but in a subtle way.) : "
Jan 6, 2015 9:00 PM

Jun 2014
"dream"
Jul 29, 2015 5:15 PM

Apr 2011
I think the D stands for Defeat
Jan 15, 2017 7:42 AM
Jan 2017
It stands for dream. Kaori was always asking Ry what his dream was and in the last episode of the final stage it shows him visiting her grave and he sees her and she asks him what his dream is and he explains that it is to train drivers in that are and make them the best they could be, and so project D was his dream and thats why it meant so much to him
Jan 17, 2020 3:54 AM
Jan 2020
Ryouske said that the "D" stands for "Dream"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Initial D Fourth Stage Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

robertomelchor - Nov 28, 2009

53 by LordKarnage2 »»
Mar 25, 4:26 PM

Poll: » Initial D Fourth Stage Episode 8 Discussion

Monad - May 11, 2012

38 by WitherRage »»
Jan 22, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Initial D Fourth Stage Episode 10 Discussion

Monad - May 12, 2012

29 by Kraum »»
Jan 11, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Initial D Fourth Stage Episode 18 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 5, 2010

26 by removed-user »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:10 AM

Poll: » Initial D Fourth Stage Episode 4 Discussion

Monad - May 11, 2012

22 by Ajrocket »»
Dec 20, 2023 12:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.