Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 10, 2011 10:03 PM
May 2011
Had i stopped watching with 10 minutes left in the movie, i would have given this movie a 9.

now the ratings a 5. what the fuck kind of ending was that?
Jan 9, 2012 12:39 AM

Sep 2009
O_O I had NO idea there were ppl that hated this movie so much!
I think it's a little ridiculous how fans will throw a hissy fit when they dont get their way.
Anyway, I think it was quite brilliant.

Also the villain was not lame because that whole "fear of the unknown"
and "destroy anything that is unlike yourself" is something that happens ALL the time in our history.

Sure, in a perfect world I would've loved the brothers to return to their own world.
But if it's one thing this series has consistently portrayed, is that you dont always get what you want.
Deal with it.
Jan 16, 2012 5:38 AM

Sep 2008
Salmissra said:
O_O I had NO idea there were ppl that hated this movie so much!
I think it's a little ridiculous how fans will throw a hissy fit when they dont get their way.
Anyway, I think it was quite brilliant.

Also the villain was not lame because that whole "fear of the unknown"
and "destroy anything that is unlike yourself" is something that happens ALL the time in our history.

Sure, in a perfect world I would've loved the brothers to return to their own world.
But if it's one thing this series has consistently portrayed, is that you dont always get what you want.
Deal with it.

Me either but... it wasn't very good. And I actually approve of all of the plot points... I'm not buttmad that they left Winry behind or went back to Germany, and I didn't want a perfect happy ending. I've always liked how dark the series is. But the movie dragged in places and the villain was lackluster... possibly through no fault of their own; I can't see any way they could properly develop a villain in a 2 hour movie without making the villain the main plot focus, and they didn't. Getting the bros back together was the main plot point, with a lot of other crap taking up time too. As a result I can barely remember the villain of the movie at all...Villains have to be built up.

Another problem was how certain characters were neglected. This was inevitable; FMA had a rich cast but they had over 50+ episodes to show them in, the movie had far less time, so of course some were left out.

It wasn't as good as the series, but it's worth watching (if only because Ed and Al are so qt in it ;3)
WaspscreamaJan 16, 2012 5:41 AM
Jan 17, 2012 5:43 AM

Jan 2012
Would have been better if Winry didn't get screwed over XD Other than that fact, I enjoyed it.
Feb 16, 2012 6:48 PM

Jan 2011
So, didn't take my time to read through everything, but seems the major consens is the movie is acceptable, but the ending is...unsatisfying. I am not even quite sure how i would classify it. What kind of ending is it?

A happy end would be Ed returns home, probably taking the Gipsy with him, a sad ending would be either of the brothers sacrifiing himself again.
It's not even a "real" open end, because the brother's end up together, they are quite happy, even Winry seems okay with it..and they set out to find a way to destroy the gate, if they didn't already (maybe using that bomb to do so?), while Mustang is destroying the other end, so it's implied they won't return.

About the movie itself..some of the characters looked a bit dumb. The way they were drawn. Al often ended up this way. Well, both Als. Also, why did they introduce so many new characters while keeping so many known characters when they do not have enough time to flesh out the stories of either one?

If they wanted to point out that you do not always get what you want, or more specific, equivalent exchange, there would have been so many ways. But no, on both sides there is someone who sacrificies himself, which nobody is really sad about apparently, so they already kinda made their point "somtimes, it all works out", compared to the original series. And then, they stay in the "real" world. Huh? It feels like they tried to mix everything into it. A compromise. Everybody with a say in it wanted something else, and so they ended up with it.

I can actually imagine that. They first wrote one ending, like, the happy one.
Someone said "rewrite it, i want a sad ending". So they rewrote it, making one of the brothers sacrifice himself, probably Ed, which also meant he wouldn't return. Then the one with the happy ending complained, so they removed the sacrifice. Then the "sad end guy" complained, and they made Al go to the other world too. But then the happy guy complained, so they made them not really sad about not being home and with Winry etc. Or something like this.

It's a random mix, not a really memorable ending.
Mar 17, 2012 8:56 PM

Sep 2009
I was confused at first, because I've only seen the Brotherhood series, so I didn't get why certain things were going down, til I realized it took off after the first series. I was perfectly happy with Brotherhood, so this ending threw that off, but otherwise I liked it. Poor Winry though.
He tends to make my heart beat. <3
Mar 21, 2012 1:20 AM

Feb 2011
Winry is pretty damn hot. Her hair thing like Hawkeye is sexy as fuck. Way better looking in the movie than the series. Movie was cool, Ed and Al's Broship is hardcore, wish I had a brother like that. Wanted more Colonel, he was pretty badass. The villain was kind of wtf tbh, where did she come from? If she was even slightly foreshadowed in the series (Society aside) it would have made just a little more sense.

But overall, I enjoyed it.
Aug 19, 2012 1:05 PM

May 2012
I personally love this movie! Sure: Just like the series it's based on, it's definitely controversial, there's a severe lack of fan favorite characters (Colonel Mustang, Riza Hawkeye and General Armstrong to name a few) and it doesn't tie everything together perfectly, but i still found the trip to "our world" really enjoyable!

The movie's got nazis, alchemy and a lot of heart - What more do you want? The most important thing it got right is that the emotional center of the movie is the Elric brothers.

Having said that, i did not like the ending. Why would they stay in our world and leave everyone they know and love behind? (At least take Winry with you!) I was hoping they'd maybe tie it together with Brotherhood, but oh well, PERFECT ENDINGS are getting rare these days...

Still, compared to "The Sacred Star of Milos" (two hours i'm never getting back) Conqueror of Shamballa is a freaking masterpiece!
who_dat_ninjaAug 19, 2012 1:47 PM
Sep 7, 2012 9:57 PM

Jun 2007
To start off, I've only seen brotherhood (which I still thought was bad). Obviously I'm missing something, but nonetheless this movie falls under the most stupid shit I have ever seen. I'd rather watch a 3 hour movie of Mars of Destruction. I will hand it to them though, I had a huge amount of lolz when Hitler showed up out of fucking nowhere.
LeondreSep 7, 2012 10:14 PM
Oct 9, 2012 12:10 AM

Jul 2009
really never knew why people hated this :P

sure the ending could have been better.

i'll give some thoughts to this.

at first i though we're gonna see two Ed's or two Al's but it turns out that Al look like Ed when he grew up :P

really surprised by that ^^

i thought Noah was special and will be an integral part of the story.

but just like Rose from the first series(towards the end she got better) she's more of a side character which is funny since Noah seem to be the Rose in this world.

also Ed should have brought her and showed a new world for her.

i mean why let the other Al die in vain??

King Bradley as a jew is funny but very fitting of him :P

so he wants to be a film director huh??

another thing is that why is Envy a dragon?? sure he was transformed into one during he's travel to the gate but wtf??

also Hohenheim just dies just like that??

REALLY???

not to mention you wanted Ed to go back to the world, you should have asked him in the first place.

Wrath well i kinda like him now here, he's not annoying as the first season. and he's pretty badass.

don't know why Al was just standing there and letting Gluttony bear Wrath just like that.

also Wrath saw Izumi as he's mother instead of Sloth.

jeez make up your mind already!!

speaking of Gluttony he's gotten big as hell. so Dante really died huh??

so Izumi died?? T_____T

she never saw Ed again :(

also why the hell is Roy Mustang drunk and seems to be retired at first??

what the hell was he doing?? didn't he accomplished his dreams?? why stop now??

at least we got more action in this film than the anime series.

i see the gang is all good, and Riza always follow Roy Mustang :P

lol Hughes here is a nazi XD he also loves Grazia here :P

Sheska and Ross seems to be doing well also.

as for the main antagonist Dietlinde.

seriously ONE OF THE MOST DUMBEST REASON EVER!!!!

i mean fucking WOOOOOW!!!!

she wants to destroy a world which not only she hasn't been or seen AT ALL, but also the world hasn't done anything wrong with her what so ever.

all because it was UNKNOWN.

damn just damn.

the new opening and ending by laraku is freaking nice.

the animation is top notch, and seeing both Ed and Al in human form and grown up side by side is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

for me the ending was mixed feelings.

angry, disappointed as well as sadness and cried a little.

first off why the hell would you go to a world not only your not familiar with, but also plague with violence, corruption, and divided by rank.

sure it also exist in their world, but at least they are aware of the way things there so they can do their best to fix it.

not to mention don't you Ed want to see others like Winry, Armstrong, or even Izumi??

only Roy you met, the rest you haven't even seen in all these 2 years.

another thing is that doing this not only you made the other Al's death in vain, but also Hohenheim's death in vain, Wrath's death, and made Winry and others sad.

i mean WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!

you could have reunited with your family and seen Roy on top.

not only that, but coming here in the first place and Dietlinde already destroyed more than half of the land.

you said it was your responsibility, so why not take it as YOUR responsibility?????

i cried when Ed was about to leave Al, but Al follows him which not onlymade me angry at him, but also feel sorry for winry T__T

COME ON NOW!!!!!

for me the ending should have been this.

keep everything that you did during the first half, Noah wants to come with Ed in the other world, and other Al is sick.

everything proceeds in plan but with slight differences. Hohenheim and Ed works together to go to back to their home world. Noah goes along with them since she's had enough of this.

then once they go back to the world Dietlinde comes along and everything you did in the 2nd half proceed. Wrath dies along with Gluttony but the changes are Roy Mustang should be the president and is actively commanding everyone. Izumi will get to see both Ed and Al as well as Hohenheim before she dies, a new plot twist reveals that Dante killed Gluttony and is out for revenge for both Ed and Hohenheim with an ugly monster to booth.

everything is solve, Dante and Dietlinde dies at the hands of the brothers, every armor is dead by Roy Mustang and crew. no need to send the remains back, just clean them and burn them.

Ed and Al destroy their entrance to the gate since well where can they go anywhere if the other end of the gate is closed despite the open gate is open.

the other gate crumbles with a missile attack to the factory since the revolution failed.

so Ed and Al, winry and others stay in their alchemy world, rebuilds what was destroyed which is alot. Izumi dies of her sickness and sees Ed and Al through the end. Hohenheim rots away but sees both the boys before passing, Ed and Al rebuild their home as well as Ed giving his state alchemist pocket watch in the grave of Hohenheim alongside with Trisha. Noah lives with Rose in Reseembol and learn the new things bout this world etc.

Roy Mustang Marries Riza, Ed is much much older now and both him and Al as well as Winry work to help their world even more.

there was that hard??

i don't mind the nazi's to be honest, i jut don't like they pulled a 180 at the end.

i was happy that Ed finally comes back in the Alchemy world, but throws it all away in a split second.

wow just wow.

it really made me angry and wanted to punch him really REALLY hard.

funny thing in the end we saw Scar and Lust together O___O

i would give this a 7 or an 8, but because this film brought me a lot of emotions(good or bad) and despite the ending was mixed. As well the awesome animation and fight scenes. im willing to give this a 9.

plus i was just studying world history and they really did a good job on portraying some of the events pretty good.

they mention the treaty of versailles, the industrialized movement of the 20th century, the creation of steam as well as economy paper.

the preparation for world war etc.

sure the ending could have been at least some of the ones that i mentioned. but i really enjoyed the film and was edge of my seat the whole time.

now after this, im thinking of maybe i should immediately start Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which i heard LOTS and LOTS of EXCELLENT things in this version or D.Gray-Man???

sure both series has a lot to do with early 19th and 20th century as well as both have steampunk and some industrialized themes.

but im afraid i'll be burned out with the series(just finished the final episode of the first season a FEW hours ago) and another 64 episodes and plus a movie.

D.Gray-Man looks ace, but there's no HD version(i don't mind really) plus the lore is very interesting as well as the character and steampunk structures :)

i'll decide once im done with my midterms next week.

9/10 really enjoyed the movie despite it's faults ^^

Ed and Al in human form!!!!

SomaHeirOct 9, 2012 12:22 AM
Oct 24, 2012 8:30 AM

Aug 2010
BONES, please don't make anything original ever again and stick to complete adaptations. It had a few good moments, I'll give you that, but the script was severely lacking in quality. A very, very generous 6/10.
Oct 25, 2012 4:14 AM

Mar 2010
It was way weaker than I expected. No, it wasn't bad, it was just "meh". I disliked the ending as well. Out of my love for the series, I'll give this movie a 7. And that's me being over the top nice.
Oct 25, 2012 4:37 AM

May 2012
Stop complaining. This movie is a freaking masterpiece compared to Sacred Star of Milos!

But to be fair, there are things i didn't like about Conqueror:
-The very end when Ed and Al decides to go to "our" world and hang out. I thought that was kind of lame! (At least take Winry with you!)

-Hovenheim was always one of my favorite characters but he totally got shafted in this film. I was hoping he'd be featured more, but nope, just see him get eaten by Dragon Envy and be sad i guess. On a sidenote, Brotherhood thankfully did a much better job with his character arc.

-Runtime: I felt this movie could've been a bit longer and give some more time to secondary characters like Roy Mustang and Alex Armstrong, but they only have a couple minutes each. The movie's already great but more time to breath would've made it even better! Hell, the original script was apparently enough for a 3 hour long movie, so there must've been a lot they cut out...

What DID i like? EVERYTHING ELSE!!! Especially Edward's solo adventure in Munich and King Bradley as Fritz Lang was a stroke of genius!

I also recommend you seeking out the 6-minute "Chibi Wrap Up Party" OVA from the Funimation "Premium Collection" DVD, because it's very cute and very funny!
There's also a 3 minute short that shows what i believe is an 80 years older Edward Elric living in our world with grandkids who of course look exactly like Ed, Al and Winry. Not really any relation to anything but it's a cute short film, which easily could've been an after-credits sequence for Conqueror of Shamballa.
who_dat_ninjaMay 6, 2013 3:38 AM
Jan 4, 2013 1:39 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
FCKKKING AWESOME MOVIE!!! Alphonse and Edward in PONYTAIL FTW, and ALL loose ends in the FMA Series WRAPPED UP NICELY!!! ONE of the BEST ANIME MOVIES. i've seen along the Detective Conan movies and Doraemon movies. I was VERY worried about Edward and Alphonse separating AGAIN! GOOD thing at least THEY TOGETHER again, even though it's a little sad not in the real world, but in the parallel world! The MOVIE ACTION-PACKED, EXCITING ADVENTURE! When 2 worlds CROSS, The journey begins! 10/10 MOVIE!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Apr 21, 2013 11:21 PM

Jan 2012
its an anime movie that is actually a sequel
characters exists in both worlds, what a recycling genius
CGI ARMORS AHHHHHHHHHHH
Winry is left off the dust... again
a lot of closures to side characters and the brothers got what they wanted

Ponytail out of 10.
NoobHunterDApr 21, 2013 11:26 PM
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jun 15, 2013 7:08 PM

Jun 2012
Not bad. Not great either. I would prefer to have Brotherhood's "kiddie" ending with everything ending all good and happy to having the characters seperated in different dimensions. I disliked the lack of alchemy and wished there was more fighting. I also wish that Ed transmuted his cloak like he did at the end of Brotherhood (when he crashed into the ground after falling off the airship there was red cloth).
Aug 12, 2013 3:52 PM
May 2011
I knew i shouldn't watch it , waste of time , plot is just stupid , lots of flaws, crappy ending .
3/10 and i am being generous
Sep 21, 2013 6:22 PM

Jan 2013
I thought the antagonist was cliche. She basically wants to destroy the other world because she's afraid of it. She was practically introduced as quickly as she left.
Also, this series doesn't make you think, like the series did. It's basically just a fun movie with some historical elements and cameos.
It was entertaining though, and the animation was great. I was not bored, and did not wonder every 5 second when the movie was going to end.

I'm amazed they used Fritz Lang as character in this film. That's pretty funny! (Sadly, I have not had the time to look into him much, so I do not know how accurate the movie was, but I know who he is.)

In the beginning, Ed left, Winry's all alone.
Now Ed has come back to give Winry hope. But now Ed AND Al are gone.
Winry should try and find a new man to love. Ed keep leaving her. :P

Show Aikawa seems to make all of the women characters have some type of suffering. I noticed while watching his projects that the women can never get anything they want. Even more so, the antagonist is a woman too.
He must have some issues when it comes to women.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
KuandohanSep 21, 2013 6:25 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Sep 28, 2013 10:28 PM
Feb 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Sometimes pandering to the fans actually hurts a story. Sometimes you got to tell the story and hope your fans aren't dumb enough to go into a rage if something is different from what they want.

Sorry if some people wanted an ending to the series that made sense and didn't feel like it was just pulled out of nowhere to be "edgy".

I didn't know that the anime deviated from the original manga so much when I first watched the series, but when I found after I finished it, it all made sense. I don't want to sound like it was bad just because it didn't follow the original, but I think there's a huge shift in quality as the series nears the end. And the movie just made it worse. It all felt like a really bad fanfic that threw the original plot out the window.

Brotherhood's story feels so much more coherent and like everything actually led up to the ending.
Jan 20, 2014 12:02 AM

Oct 2013
They should've brought winry with them, i mean what about Winry? you can't just leave her back in Shamballa, the ending was ok though but not as i expected
Jan 31, 2014 9:49 PM

Jun 2012
its not that i dislike the movie but it just didn't fit full metal alchemist i think and it is really changing my view on full metal alchemist.

the ending was worse then in the anime yes Alphonse is now with him but now there certainly never will be a way back to there world while in the anime the opportunity was left open and what about the people there who where desperately waiting for both of them like Winry she didn't gain anything just lost them.

for some reason the advanced technologies (sort of our technologies) in this movie made it less appealing then the actual show if this was loose from the anime or it would have been a different anime it might be way better cause the movie it self isn't bad.

all this said i still enjoyed the movie but the ending was way worse then in the anime the ending of the anime i didn't really dislike or anything just not what i hoped for but this ending just isn't good.
RobertovkJan 31, 2014 10:00 PM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 31, 2014 10:38 PM

Oct 2013
Meh,nothing special.

Feb 18, 2014 8:45 PM

Sep 2013
This movie and the series is lame. The series was okay, but the movie was lame. If you guys haven't watched brotherhood yet, do it now. It's way better than this shitty ending. I'm really glad they remade the whole series(which follows the manga).

Plot was just dumb. They also made Hohenheim so pointless in this series. Only think I liked about this movie was Gluttony's battle haha. But whole series had a lack of battles though. The ending just ruined the movie and the villain.

So, go watch FMA Brotherhood! It's number 1 in MAL.
eunoia33Feb 18, 2014 8:58 PM

Jun 9, 2014 1:50 AM

Feb 2014
The general disapproval for this movie can be summed up with basically this statement:

"it's different from the manga and the ending isn't the one I wanted where everyone is happy and all the couples I shipped ended up getting together"

This was a good movie. It knotted up a lot of loose ends, the ending was excellent imo and tied in very nicely with the entire theme of the series (equivalent exchange - i.e. Al and Ed traded away any chance to ever go back home to be with each other) and the historical references were spot on (seriously, pretty much every reference they made was legit and they tied it into the story really well).

I haven't watched FMAB yet so I'm not comparing this to that, but taken by itself, Conquerors of Shamballa is a very good movie and a solid ending to the original FMA, regardless of how similar or different it is to the manga.
Aug 7, 2014 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
I thought it was a really great movie, having watched it only a few hours after finishing the show.

I loved that eventually Al and Ed were reunited and that Al went back with him to the other world.

It would have been nice with more alchemy yes but it was still a very interesting movie.

I loved taller Ed and Al and alternate world Al <3

It was nice seeing a lot of characters who had died in the alternate world like Hughes etc and Wrath sacrificed himself for Al which was nice.

Roy <3

I haven't seen Brotherhood yet so can't compare but I'm gonna try and see it but I did really love this original series a lot <3
stephtastropheAug 7, 2014 9:33 AM
Aug 18, 2014 9:25 PM
Sep 2013
The whole evil germans angle of this movie ended up disappointing. The villain never felt like a treat and felt more like an awkward extra trying hard to make sense of her actions without the needed depth to make us care.

How they handled the characters and the ending wasn't bad but nothing remarkable either. Enjoyed the interactions between the characters the most.

And it didn't add anything more on the themes of the serie, didn't even tried to..

6/10
Di-DorvalAug 18, 2014 9:32 PM
Sep 17, 2014 1:33 AM

Feb 2013
Kotori said:
Fucking retarded ending, even more so than the series'

1/10

conan4 said:
I knew i shouldn't watch it , waste of time , plot is just stupid , lots of flaws, crappy ending .
3/10 and i am being generous

Lol you guys are being ridiculous. The plot had depth and a lot of links to legitimate things in history while also having its own unique plot mechanic.

Not 1/10 to 3/10 material. That's ridiculous and I hope you realize that.
Oct 4, 2014 6:56 AM

Oct 2010
Oh wow. I remembered being deeply hurt by the ending of this movie, first time I watched it.

Now I can appreciate its amazing points though. But yeah, gotta agree on both sides. The brilliant aspects were really brilliant, and the dumbest aspects were handled very poorly as well. I think you guys have said everything complain-able and commendable from this movie, but there's another thing I really was quite mad about.

And that is Edward.

I love the 2003 Edward for being the child he was, for being down to earth, with desires and ambition, not some generic shounen superhero who only think about the good of others (which is quite what he is in Brotherhood), but this movie totally ruined that trait of his. He could've just closed the gate from Amestris' side. Sure the gate can still be opened from our world, but then the amount of effort Earthians have to make to open it should be enough to buy some time of peace in Amestris. And again, "there must be another way" should be his motto, right?

It's as if... Ed was acting a bit like that cheap villain (which name I already forgot because she was so insignificant); destroying connections for both world because.... BETTER TO NOT UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER AT ALL. Void of fear of another different world. Huh. That is totally a stupid way to pull off Ed's character. What is it, with that line "this war is our fault", then he'd simply toss his chance of going home? Come on.

I am truly sure he'd prefer to stay in Amestris and live happily ever after, no. He's been trying and trying and trying to get home... No? And how could he ignore CRYING AL calling him 5 times for God's sake, nobody says no to crying Al.

Even after years I still think this story could've ended on a sweeter note.

Still an overall very high quality and enjoyable movie : ) Glad I rewatched it.
Dec 26, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2013
I actually liked this ending more. I never really liked Winry.
Dec 27, 2014 2:50 PM

Feb 2013
Two nitpicks I always feel with this movie:
The convenience of there being an identical armour made of that of Alphonse's, would've been better to just scrap the Alphonse armour and use the other one they had.

At the end when they are on the plane with Eckart, she shouldn't have explained her mindset so bluntly as it kinda ruins the whole point.

Besides that, everything they did here is fine. I wouldn't have minded seeing a longer Ed vs. Envy fight when they're both in human form, or just fights in general using more interesting characters - Wrath vs. Gluttony is one of the best fights in anime though, in my opinion.
Dec 28, 2014 10:38 PM
May 2012
Damn, awesome animation and quality for 2005!! Sasuga Bones!! I like both the songs, too. Bon Jovi should sing the ending song ahahaha.
Why the hell do I think that living back then looks more fun than living now?? Even if I wouldn't have Anime. Probably because life is much more simple back then~
Good to see the same characters with different roles. Holy shit at Hohenheim, Wrath (he isn't annoying this time), and Alphonse (Shun Oguri voiced him :O) death.
This is a good movie, and I really think (I always have) that parallel worlds are interesting. Good ending with Al getting his body, being with Ed, they are both Alchemist and all......but Winry is still waiting AGAIN =_= I can't say I am satisfied with the ending cause they are not in the Alchemy world and Winry is still fucking waiting, always.
Oh well, time to watch the specials, and then Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood :3
Feb 15, 2015 2:32 PM

Apr 2013
Wow that sucked balls, boring and just overall horrible. And one of the worst endings I've ever seen.
Feb 22, 2015 10:52 AM

Jan 2014
It was fun :D Enjoyed it, but hate the ending. Daaang. The series' ending was much better... ;-;
Mar 6, 2015 5:05 PM

Jun 2014
Well I thought overall it was a good movie! I did not really care for the ending. It just was.. too sad for me. :( I really wanted it to be a lalala happy ending~. Ed and Al back in their home with everyone else. But you ~CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT~.

So this does get an 8/10 for me. It had good entertainment value and I was intrigued the hole time but I wish for a different ending! But it doesn't mean that it was necessarily a bad ending. I know that this was anime original so it was pretty good.

I'm excited to see what Brotherhood has in store for me and I wonder how that will be. :)
Apr 13, 2015 10:04 PM

Dec 2012
If there's one thing I'll never forget about this movie, it's that Roma opening.

It's difficult to pinpoint my thoughts on this. I certainly enjoyed it, but the extent of my enjoyment is hard to narrow down. I do remember considering this a step down from the original series and I still hold true to that opinion now. While I only grew to appreciate the FMA tv series after a proper rewatch, I'm somewhat lost on how to describe my new found feelings for Conqueror of Shamballa. To go with a simple pros/cons list,

Pros:

- I love how this tied together real life mythology and history into the events of this movie. I've seen various sources that support the idea of would be Nazi supporters dabbling into the occult and seeking supernatural powers in preparation of war. Actually speaking of drawing parallels, I always meant to say that the treatment of the Ishvalans in the tv series was similar to that of the Jews, constantly facing oppression and threats of genocide.

- The foreshadowing to WWII was absolutely eerie.

- Fantastic visuals, although the CGI armor suits were a bit cringe worthy at times. Wrath vs WTF Gluttony was amazing.

- The brothers finally reunite! Although I feel as though the bittersweet ending of the series was more fulfilling on a larger scale, the brothers finally having each other once again after great trial and tribulation was completely worth it.

- Closure. It was great to get closure on the state of both worlds following the events of episode 51.

Cons:

- Not a big fan of the villains. I think Dietlinde made some good points on how humans fear the unknown and shun that which they don't see in themselves, but otherwise she wasn't very compelling as a villain.

- Ed and Al remaining on the other side of the gate. Frankly this is the main reason why FMA would have been better off stopping with its bittersweet conclusion of them being in separate worlds, reaching for the same sky. Even though it made sense in terms of plot progression, I still wasn't too thrilled by the choice of having them remain in the other world. This is an instance in which I would have preferred a happier ending, Winry sure as hell deserved it.

- FMA:B spoiled me silly but the big battle at Central just didn't pull me in as much as I'd have liked and it felt a bit too short. Not enough Roy.

- I could have sworn Noah did more, guess I remembered wrong.

Well as a whole I'd say that aside from minor gripes, I was satisfied with this movie. The ending feels off, especially since I'm considerably less invested into Noah and the gang. But I won't write it off either and feel as though it still captures the FMA spirit.

8.5/10
Jun 21, 2015 10:10 PM
Jun 2015
The whole movie ending contradicted the whole Fullmetal series. To begin, one of the main themes of this show was about never abandoning your dreams, or your friends. This movie took it the opposite way entirely. For some reason, Mustang has suddenly given up his dream to become Fuhrer for a very sloppy reason. He seemed completely fine at the end of the original series, so why did he give up after all hes been through, especially since Amestris needed to be rebuilt now? And Edward has become completely backwards. He turned his back on his friends, his family for a completely unknown world from what I assumed to be for knowledge. The fact that he left his friends behind and left Winry like that for such a selfish reason utterly devalued Eds character, which was the whole highlight of the series. If Al hadnt followed, he wouldve left him behind too. Ed would never do that to Al, especially since Al worked as hard as he did to see him again. Oh and Hohenheim... The all powerful immortal having at most 3 minutes of screen time and dying the way he did? Disgraceful. A terrible movie, and didnt tie together well at all. Its more than unsatisfying. It took away from the fans. The time and dedication put into this series was just thrown away by this sadly canon movie. How terrible. Good thing theres brotherhood ;)
Jul 2, 2015 8:43 AM
Feb 2011
^Good points. This movie was bad, and the fact that it's a canon sequel to the original series makes it even worse. Totally ruined by bad characterization. Al sure got over how he caused the war pretty fast, Hohenheim was manipulated oh so easily, and the ambitious hard-nosed Mustang was reduced to a sulking loner all because he needed Ed to return. The best thing was probably the fight sequence with Gluttony and Wrath. Now that was an adrenaline rush. Pity the rest of the movie was badly put together.
Jul 14, 2015 10:30 PM

Nov 2014
The original series had a very sad ending. I'd say the movie also had a sad ending, but it was happier in comparison to the original series because now they're together and Al has his memories back, which was mostly what I was hoping for. I don't like how they ended up getting stuck in the wrong world without their friends though. I was really hoping Ed and Winry could end up together at least, or that Al could finally live as a person in his own world next to his brother. They're together now, but it still makes me feel sad the way it ended...

I liked how Wrath became more of a decent person near the end. The way he gave himself up to help Al out...It was sad though. And what was with Al so quickly getting over being the cause of a war? The old Al would be devastated.

And maybe it's too much to ask, but I was hoping there could at least be a scene where Ed comments on how they finally got Al's body back...

I personally didn't like how they included the other world being the real world in Germany full of Nazi's and war and no alchemy. In both the end of the main series and the movie which wraps it up. It's not my series or movie, but if it were, I would have done things differently for sure.
BlackFox24Jul 14, 2015 10:42 PM
Sep 7, 2015 10:05 AM

Jul 2009
It was ok, but I am sad that they didn't return to their home city, and it was sad to see Ed referring to the new world as home, especially because of Winry and all the others. It was nice to see them all in their adult forms.
Sep 17, 2015 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
1 cent opinion, perhaps it would had been better if this movie had been a 4-5+ HQ(High quality) OVA series to tie the knot better.
Oct 23, 2015 12:47 AM
Apr 2013
7/10 movie. It was an enjoyable alternate storyline of FMA. Time to watch FMA Brotherhood.
Nov 30, 2015 12:56 AM
Nov 2014
Uh yeah, I'm still not a big fan of this ending. Okay-ish movie.
Feb 2, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2012
Wasn't completely terrible 6/10.
Feb 8, 2016 10:46 PM

Jan 2009
The movie isn't really bad, that fight between Wrath and Gluttony was amazing!
And I actually like the ending, it's one of my favorite endings ever, it's neither a miserable ending nor a very happy one like Brotherhood's.
Feb 9, 2016 3:08 PM

Sep 2014
This movie was a lot of fun and satisfying in a way. That being said, the main villian sucked. Worst of all, after going through so much trouble, they gave us a shit ending instead of Al just going through the gate temporarily like he did before and closing the gate. Leaving Winry behind again, this time both of them... who would ever want to see that?
Mar 6, 2016 11:36 PM

Dec 2013
I quite enjoyed this movie. It actually felt pretty satisfying.

Gluttony appearing was fucking retarded tho. Villians were pretty shitty as well.
Mar 27, 2016 1:43 PM
Feb 2016
Wow, seems like this is a love it or hate it film. I loved it, maybe even more than the series itself. Both did trail off into some poorly thought out stuff near the end though.
Jun 15, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
So basically Al just escaped his responsibilites. No matter what his intentions were he would have desereved to be shot for what he did.
Jul 7, 2016 11:27 PM

Jun 2015
This movie was alright
Though I liked pre WW2 Germany, I would've liked it even more if things were more focused on the alchemists' world
The other world Rose should've had more relevance
The Villain is almost Kabaneri tier bad
And the elric brothers should've ended up in the Alchemic world instead of post WW2
6/10
There's Brotherhood atleast
Jul 17, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2009
I watched this a while back. It...wasnt great. Ending was bad, the villain was bad...only good thing it had going for it was the animation and at least I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Don't think I'll rewatch this in a LONG time though!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» I just realised something really dark about this movie. (Spoilers)

Yoshistar123 - Jan 11, 2021

11 by APolygons2 »»
Mar 21, 7:26 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

5 by Mystogan14579 »»
May 19, 2021 6:25 PM

» FMA Movie: The Conqueror of Shambala

StabbyPWNS - Jun 23, 2008

20 by Tannerlaramore »»
Jan 6, 2018 4:49 AM

» Alchemy is possible in the other side of the gate, aka Earth.

SwiftKilla - Feb 11, 2014

0 by SwiftKilla »»
Feb 11, 2014 3:37 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

0 by YourAnimeGuy »»
Nov 15, 2013 8:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.