Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 17, 2016 3:57 PM

Jan 2012
The first 100 chapters are the East Blue Saga, I personally thought it was pretty solid but some people find it boring. After that saga is the Alabasta Saga (also known as Baroque Works Saga) where most people agree it starts to get really good, and then it just keeps on going from there.
Feb 19, 2016 1:16 PM

Feb 2011
I found Alabasta and Water Seven to be the best arcs personally. Starting from Franky and Brooke's additions, the main crew gets too bloated and the pacing and plot get screwy post war and after part II.
Feb 21, 2016 5:23 PM

Dec 2015
Beginning was hard for me too, I really started enjoying it during Arlon's Park but it truly takes off during Alabasta.
Mar 6, 2016 9:38 PM
May 2014
i've watched till past the crocodile arc and i must say i still hate it tbh (took me a year to even get that far in the series) but i might start the manga from there and just power through
my friend told me it'd get good at around episode 400 lol
Mar 6, 2016 9:40 PM

Nov 2013
It's decent from Arlong arc to Enies Lobby but then goes downhill. The NW is meh.
Jun 3, 2016 6:39 PM

Nov 2013
I'm wondering too. Just finished Sky Island saga which was just awful. Before this it was simply alright. It has the rare high such as Drum Island.
Jun 3, 2016 6:53 PM

May 2015
BonerBender said:
I'm wondering too. Just finished Sky Island saga which was just awful. Before this it was simply alright. It has the rare high such as Drum Island.

There aren't really any arcs as long as Skypeia..except one about 400 chapters from there(which is about 40 chapters longer so...).

I always thought the introductory chapters before Skypeia were great tho, and the general consensus is that skypeia is good but too long. Now, judging from general consensus from here on out, Drum Island is praised often too and always has been one of my favorites.

The next mini-saga after Skypeia is not a fan favorite, the next one is a fan favorite(it's technically long, but it's split into two separate parts), the next one gets mixed reaction and the saga after that and the next one is praised.

But the consensus is is that it gets good about 250 chapters before Sky Island in Arlong Park and is mostly consistent throughout(the series pretty much). So if you're wondering when it starts to get good 302 chapters in, well...if you're okay with settling for "alright with the occasional high and occasional low", why stop right? :P
ashfrliebertJun 3, 2016 7:00 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 3, 2016 7:14 PM

Jun 2012
BonerBender said:

To this day I will never understand Skypiea hate. It doesn't have any flaw that can't be said about any arc that came before it and it's by far the most creative and adventurous arc in the series up to that point.
Jun 3, 2016 7:38 PM

Nov 2013
Kaimon said:
BonerBender said:

To this day I will never understand Skypiea hate. It doesn't have any flaw that can't be said about any arc that came before it and it's by far the most creative and adventurous arc in the series up to that point.

My biggest problems were:
-The island itself has zero build up. You get 10 chapters of Jaya and about 10 chapters of Skypiea before you get to the final battle. Compare to the Alabasta saga which has about 54 chapters of build up, and that's just before you get to the Alabasta arc. In the short time they gave me they gave me zero stakes in the saga. Zero reason to care about what happens to the island. Compare to Alabasta where you had the fate of Alabasta and the Baroque Works. With actual chapters of build up I was interested in the conclusion.
-This is a bit personal, but one of my biggest problems with battle shonen (except Jojo) is when you get to the final fight they give a fight to every member of the cast. This in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but they way it's always done is bad. Basically, instead of just doing one fight until it's done and cutting to another cast member, it just does all of them at once. If you get lucky you'll get 2 pages a chapter for each character. I really have trouble getting hyped about fights broken up this much. The fact that the final fight itself is so long makes it worse.
-The final fight itself is ridiculously long. Especially compared to the tiny bit of build up you get for it. It goes on for like 50 chapters. It only makes all the other problems worse.
-None of the new characters were interesting. I didn't even bother to learn most of their names.
-The actual final fight against Enel was lame.

-It's completely disconnected from everything before it. It really just feels like a random filler arc made to waste time.

The only thing it really did that I liked was give Robin some screen time. She's easily become my favorite character, if anything because she isn't annoying like Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and Sanji and Nami on occasion.
Jun 3, 2016 8:41 PM

Jun 2012
BonerBender said:

-The island itself has zero build up.

Yeah no, this is objectively false. You have two whole volumes consisting of the crew salvaging the sunken ship, asking around for clues, meeting/bonding with Noland's descendants/believers who give them the full rundown of the lore and mystery behind the island, why they're so desperate to find it, the mystery behind the maps, and what could possibly be up there if it's just puking out giant ships on a regular basis. There's likely other things I'm forgetting but I don't feel like dusting off my volumes or skimming the poverty scans to find out

Point is the island itself has enough mystery, intrigue, and set-up surrounding it for the reader to give a shit, as opposed to just being plopped up there randomly with no context or reason to care about it more than any other pit-stop. As for the residents themselves you have like a volume spent on Luffy bonding with Conis(?) and her family, learning how the society works, and how the people clearly hate living in what's essentially a police state. Basically giving the island and it's people flavor and character.

Basically, instead of just doing one fight until it's done and cutting to another cast member, it just does all of them at once

Do you have any examples? Aside from the 4-way fight with Zoro/Ganfall/Wyper/Ohm every other fight was pretty short, sweet, and self-contained from what I remember. But holy shit you are going to hate Dressrosa

The final fight itself is ridiculously long. Especially compared to the tiny bit of build up you get for it. It goes on for like 50 chapters. It only makes all the other problems worse.

It was definitely dragged, but only feels long because Luffy gets kicked off the ship and spends half of Enel's genocide climbing up the beanstalk and right before he gets in the final blow you get a volume long flashback detailing what really happened with the whole Noland mythos

The actual final fight against Enel was lame.

Subjective, but I personally thought Luffy using his instincts and surroundings to hit a guy who would predict his every move and Enel doing the same to keep up with and get a round on someone that's his natural weakness was fun as hell.

It's completely disconnected from everything before it. It really just feels like a random filler arc made to waste time.

Understandable since you don't have context for future events. The biggest plot points in Skypiea play a huge role in the next arc and it would've been impossible to do cutting straight to it right after Alabasta.

EDIT: This post was way longer than I intended it be, christ
Jun 4, 2016 6:29 AM

Nov 2010
There was little build up and then 50 chapters of final fight? What?

How is the adventure on upper yard the final fight? Just because they were fighting their enemies while searching for the treasue doesn't mean it was 50-chapter-long final fight.

And let's not forget that when the upper yard adventure started, the only goal of SH's was to find the treasure and not help anyone. It was only during that "50chaplong final fight" when both SH's and the readers started to care about what was going on around.

The build up lasted up until the very end of the arc: SH's finding that upper yard is jaya, wiper's determination and flashbacks, finding the golden city and finally seeing the flashback. It was a constant flow of new infromation and emotional bonding between readers and the character. The whole story story of Noland and Calgara was delivered bit by bit at constant rate, and it finally culuminated in the most powerful, awe-inspiring and romantic moment in this manga which was the ringing of the bell. Saying the fight ended "with just that" baffles me. Maybe you just focused too much on the actual battle instead of the story around and behind it.
Jun 4, 2016 6:39 AM

Dec 2012
BonerBender said:

Yeah Skypeia was a snooze fest. It's one of those arcs that makes you wonder if One Piece is episodic or something.

It gets decent in Water 7. And Ennies Lobby has some focus on Robin so you might like it, thought it fights were terrible.
Jun 5, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2015
BonerBender said:

My biggest problems were:
-The island itself has zero build up. You get 10 chapters of Jaya and about 10 chapters of Skypiea before you get to the final battle.

-None of the new characters were interesting. I didn't even bother to learn most of their names.

-The actual final fight against Enel was lame

-It's completely disconnected from everything before it. It really just feels like a random filler arc made to waste time

- I would classify Jaya as 20 chapters of build up by itself tho..to Skypeia.

- Always my biggest problem with Skypeia to be honest, I like Enel and Satori. Always thought the rest of characters were unmemorable. Unless Norland counts.

- To be honest..at a certain point my interest in the fights have dwindled down, sometimes there great, sometimes..they just aren't bad. One Piece ain't JoJo. But, I'll agree with Dahaka, the fights are important and should be done well, but the plot and character around it are the point anyway.

- I'm going to make a dumb argument, if a main plot character doesn't join the crew(which they do ALOT before that) it's not like almost every other arc in the series is different from it. There's exceptions, but fewof the arcs without a joining character to the main cast contribute a much to the story because the arc to crew ratio drops over time. Arc to chapter ratio, especially.

And if we're talking from a story point, what about the arc progression stylistically different than anything else?

The only thing it really did that I liked was give Robin some screen time. She's easily become my favorite character, if anything because she isn't annoying like Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and Sanji and Nami on occasion.

My favorite moment..in hindsight BibleThump.

Anywho, I'll always understand why people dislike the gags and humor, but I'll never understand how people(who dislike them) tolerate them. I don't think the story's that good lol. It's been like that since the start and doesn't really ever stop, and there's joke in every other chapter..if not every chapter. I would've quit by chapter 10. It's comedy-drama, the style of comedy is half the manga. If that's what's annoying.
ashfrliebertJun 5, 2016 12:31 PM
Jun 7, 2016 10:18 AM

Apr 2013
I must be one of the few people that didn't like the Alabasta arc, and enjoyed Skypiea.
Jun 11, 2016 9:11 AM

Jan 2014
I found most of One Piece to be woefully inconsistent. It took till Water 7 (Chapter 322) for things to get good imo. But even a few arcs afterwards the story goes back to crap.
Jun 11, 2016 10:04 AM

Apr 2011
the start is ok

then the next 100-150 episodes it gets better

then everything until today becomes worse and worse

don't bother with One Piece, its becoming very bad. The author has no idea what to do anymore, despite the lies he claimed.
Jun 11, 2016 11:49 AM

Jan 2012
outlaw98 said:

I have heard the writing is supposed to be on a whole other level above any other manga.

I don't think you could say that the writing is above ANY other manga. (this claim is exaggerated imo even for a big fan like me and nobody could make a claim like this since they didn't read all mangas)
Strong continuity and innovative, awesome world building are among his strong points
It begins at a low level and skyrocket more and more after that.
I was not impressed by the beginning but it does a good job at introducing the characters and their past.
Jun 18, 2016 5:08 AM

Jun 2011
BonerBender said:
Late to the party but I thought this was one of the best thing about the arc and the best conclusion the arc could get.

astrozombie84 said:
I must be one of the few people that didn't like the Alabasta arc, and enjoyed Skypiea.
I don't dislike Alabasta but I certainly don't get its hype. Good arc but not omfg level imo. (but then again it's where Ace was introduced, he's my bae) I loved Skypeia too, it was a fresh concept for me, it was interesting.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 27, 2016 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
When I first started reading it, the Arlong Park arc is what won me over. One Piece is now one of my favorite series of all time
Yea
Jun 27, 2016 4:32 PM

Apr 2012
From the first chapter, and from the very first episode. =)
I do not love shounen-ai and yaoi there, where it is not present.
Jun 28, 2016 12:41 AM

Nov 2013
topic is from 2011 guys ...
Jun 28, 2016 1:52 AM

Mar 2014
short_review said:
topic is from 2011 guys ...
Dude people necro threads that aren't even from this decade.
Jul 2, 2016 7:20 AM

Jul 2016
The Arlong Park arc was outstanding and from that point on its great throughout (some arcs are weaker than others see Thriller Bark)
Sep 11, 2016 6:05 AM
Sep 2016
i am on volume 63 in the manga and episode 62 in the anime and i'll admit the anime takes a while to get started unlike the manga but im starting to see better episodes and side villains so if you keep watching the anime it will pay off but you have to put in the time for it
Sep 11, 2016 6:07 AM
Sep 2016
Valaskjalf said:
the start is ok

don't bother with One Piece, its becoming very bad. The author has no idea what to do anymore, despite the lies he claimed.

the same happened to bleach and it really is a shame to see one piece losing its great story but maybe they should just wrap up the anime in the next year or two
Oct 8, 2016 4:56 AM
Nov 2015
sniperRuufle said:
Valaskjalf said:
the start is ok

the same happened to bleach and it really is a shame to see one piece losing its great story but maybe they should just wrap up the anime in the next year or two

What's bad about the actual One Piece? Is Skipya and Alabasta Arc better than any of the recent arcs?
Oct 8, 2016 4:42 PM

May 2015
this is the manga section, i feel bad for the poor souls who actually *watches* one piece. great self torture.
Oct 13, 2016 3:49 AM

Sep 2012
>we're barely starting new world, just wait!
they said
>we're barely one arc into new world, just wait!
they said
>hold on, we're only two arcs in to new world, just wait, oda's setting everything up
they said
>HOLD ON, WE'RE ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH NEW WORLD, DON'T DOUBT ODA
they said

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Oct 13, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2015
Roughly at the time around this chapter
Oct 13, 2016 10:46 AM
Nov 2015
Turtles_Leader said:
hum no. Skypea is the worse arc, because it has no revelance AT ALL. Every arc bring its stone to the story (at least the big arcs, I don't count short arcs like the Davy back fight, that last for less than 20 chapters). It add an important character, create a new bond for later, add to the main story, etc. Skypea is only there because they need a long arc between Robin joining and leaving. And the fight are not really appealing. It's not all bad, but to me it's stay the weaker part of OP, but in 14 years, it's the only time I envisaged dropping it.

The only two good thing about Skypia were the introduction of Haki & Enel. It was just too long for an uncessecary arc.

Turtles_Leader said:
Valaskjalf said:

sniperRuufle said:

Don't you see since they got to the new world, the whole thing is about in the same time defeating the emperors, which we all knew was coming, and creating an "army" in prevention of the next great clash against the marine. There is more forshadowing and story construction than there ever was. Plus, now. It doesn't become bad. One Piece is the only long running manga that never had this "I need to create stronger ennemies out of nowhere because they beat the strongest one", because of his heavily thought universe. they dropped the different powerfull organisation that rule the world between volume 5 and 10, and always respected it. they created a setting and sticked with it. And the narration and the organisation by island gave the possibility of exploiting the whole world, giving infinite possibilities. Bleach had this problem. It created action based series, where the the setting was only there when Kubo needed it, so he created it. So even if we can discuss about the HM, everything after seem to be asspulled out of nowhere, artificially added to the universe. Even FT, that took the OP has this problem.
Going back to the fact OP becomes weaker. If anything, it now only focus on the mains arc, and let go of less importants ones, like skypea. You can not like it anymore, but don't put that on One Piece becoming worse. One Piece is the only constant long running manga in term of story telling. And that's why it's still so popular after 19 years, and outlived other long running manga from this generation, and is still selling better than anything. Every other big series suffered of declining, and even among the fans, they were many of them seeing that those didn't know how to deal with their story, even if they continued enjoying it.

Now that I recall Bleach. It was a good action-based anime. I enjoyed almost every episode, even the fillers. But in terms of Story, I'm not surprised it didn't sell well in the last years. I've read once that it sucks after the Rukia's rescue Arc. I thought it was just a Haters statement. But it really sucks. And Fairy Tail isn't something good enough to analyze. Just consider it a comedy based shounen and forgive it for its flaws.
Oct 13, 2016 11:21 AM

Jul 2016
Turtles_Leader said:
xEzioAuditore said:
What's bad about the actual One Piece? Is Skipya and Alabasta Arc better than any of the recent arcs?
hum no. Skypea is the worse arc, because it has no revelance AT ALL. Every arc bring its stone to the story (at least the big arcs, I don't count short arcs like the Davy back fight, that last for less than 20 chapters). It add an important character, create a new bond for later, add to the main story, etc. Skypea is only there because they need a long arc between Robin joining and leaving. And the fight are not really appealing. It's not all bad, but to me it's stay the weaker part of OP, but in 14 years, it's the only time I envisaged dropping it.

Valaskjalf said:

sniperRuufle said:

Don't you see since they got to the new world, the whole thing is about in the same time defeating the emperors, which we all knew was coming, and creating an "army" in prevention of the next great clash against the marine. There is more forshadowing and story construction than there ever was. Plus, now. It doesn't become bad. One Piece is the only long running manga that never had this "I need to create stronger ennemies out of nowhere because they beat the strongest one", because of his heavily thought universe. they dropped the different powerfull organisation that rule the world between volume 5 and 10, and always respected it. they created a setting and sticked with it. And the narration and the organisation by island gave the possibility of exploiting the whole world, giving infinite possibilities. Bleach had this problem. It created action based series, where the the setting was only there when Kubo needed it, so he created it. So even if we can discuss about the HM, everything after seem to be asspulled out of nowhere, artificially added to the universe. Even FT, that took the OP has this problem.
Going back to the fact OP becomes weaker. If anything, it now only focus on the mains arc, and let go of less importants ones, like skypea. You can not like it anymore, but don't put that on One Piece becoming worse. One Piece is the only constant long running manga in term of story telling. And that's why it's still so popular after 19 years, and outlived other long running manga from this generation, and is still selling better than anything. Every other big series suffered of declining, and even among the fans, they were many of them seeing that those didn't know how to deal with their story, even if they continued enjoying it.

Someone needs to calm down. It's not an uncommon complaint that One Piece has been getting worse. It's not an uncommon complaint at all when it comes to most long-running manga (especially of the shonen genre). Even many Japanese fans have been complaining about the quality of the One Piece manga lately, as I recall. Does this sort of thing stop it from being popular and selling well? No. It didn't with the other popular long-running manga, it won't here. Nothing new. That doesn't ignore the complaints it definitely has been getting from many folks (regarding both the manga and especially the anime). By the way:

Turtles_Leader said:

One Piece is the only long running manga that never had this "I need to create stronger ennemies out of nowhere because they beat the strongest one"

This is definitely untrue.
Oct 13, 2016 12:22 PM

May 2015
Ravenousinal said:

Turtles_Leader said:

One Piece is the only long running manga that never had this "I need to create stronger ennemies out of nowhere because they beat the strongest one"

Why do you say so? Barring Kuro and Enel, the antagonist are either other pirates or the world government in some form or way. Both things established volume 1.

Edit: What am I saying? Kuro was a pirate. Enel was the exception, but there was a whole two volumes dedicated to building up the sky island.
ashfrliebertOct 13, 2016 12:30 PM
Oct 13, 2016 3:21 PM

Nov 2010
It's funny how people conclude Skypiea was a bad arc just beacause it was "unnecessery"(which it wasn't)
Oct 14, 2016 6:19 PM

Nov 2010
Turtles_Leader said:
Dahaka_ said:
It's funny how people conclude Skypiea was a bad arc just beacause it was "unnecessery"(which it wasn't)
I meant worse compared to other arcs. It's not all bad, but I think xEzioAuditore said it better than me. It was too long for an arc with no revelance to the story. the best part in this arc is the flashback.

How an arc that introduced three different races to OP world, established that they came from a fucking moon and connected them to the void century can be irrelevant? How?
Oct 14, 2016 7:37 PM

Sep 2014
Bleach didn't get cancelled, Kubo just fucked up, or didn't care. It got 700 chapters, the same amount as Naruto, but over half of the blood war arc was squandered on meaningless fights and characters
Oct 15, 2016 5:27 AM
Jun 2016
Ravenousinal said:
Turtles_Leader said:

Someone needs to calm down. It's not an uncommon complaint that One Piece has been getting worse. It's not an uncommon complaint at all when it comes to most long-running manga (especially of the shonen genre). Even many Japanese fans have been complaining about the quality of the One Piece manga lately, as I recall. Does this sort of thing stop it from being popular and selling well? No. It didn't with the other popular long-running manga, it won't here. Nothing new. That doesn't ignore the complaints it definitely has been getting from many folks (regarding both the manga and especially the anime). By the way:

Turtles_Leader said:

True, very true. Certain people just don't like it when any complaint or negative opinion towards their favorite series is given.

xEzioAuditore said:

Now that I recall Bleach. It was a good action-based anime. I enjoyed almost every episode, even the fillers. But in terms of Story, I'm not surprised it didn't sell well in the last years. I've read once that it sucks after the Rukia's rescue Arc. I thought it was just a Haters statement. But it really sucks.

I disagree. It didn't suck to me after that arc. It sucked after the arc where Aizen was defeated.
Oct 15, 2016 6:04 AM
Nov 2015
4Dissinity said:
Ravenousinal said:

True, very true. Certain people just don't like it when any complaint or negative opinion towards their favorite series is given.

xEzioAuditore said:

Now that I recall Bleach. It was a good action-based anime. I enjoyed almost every episode, even the fillers. But in terms of Story, I'm not surprised it didn't sell well in the last years. I've read once that it sucks after the Rukia's rescue Arc. I thought it was just a Haters statement. But it really sucks.

I disagree. It didn't suck to me after that arc. It sucked after the arc where Aizen was defeated.

Well, the FullBringers came out of no where.
But for the Aizen Arc (or Saga? It was too long for an arc). It has the same system of the Rukia Rescue Arc. One friend being kidnapped and Ichigo is going to fight 2 mini bosses to fight the final boss. It was a remake of the previous arc with new powers and stuff.
Oct 15, 2016 8:41 AM
Jun 2016
xEzioAuditore said:
4Dissinity said:

Well, the FullBringers came out of no where.
But for the Aizen Arc (or Saga? It was too long for an arc). It has the same system of the Rukia Rescue Arc. One friend being kidnapped and Ichigo is going to fight 2 mini bosses to fight the final boss. It was a remake of the previous arc with new powers and stuff.

True, can't really argue with that, though I thought it was still enjoyable, like how people enjoyed Dressrosa here even though many say it's like the Alabasta arc. Though I say that if anything, where Aizen got defeated should have been where it ended.
Oct 17, 2016 3:19 AM
Jan 2015
Man, this is the same question I'm asking myself.

I'm a new reader and reached chapter ~210. I'm lucky since I don't have to wait every week for a chapter.... But OP is just average. I skipped a lot of Alabasta chapters because they felt boring and Luffy pissed me off (Well, I hate him)

You have f*cking plot convenience, OP charaters like Luffy & Zoro , nakama power everywhere.....
AP_974Oct 17, 2016 3:45 AM
Oct 17, 2016 11:28 AM
Jun 2014
It's good since episode 1. In the manga is chapter 1. ;)
Oct 18, 2016 9:13 AM

Feb 2015
AP_974 said:

I'm a new reader and reached chapter ~210. I'm lucky since I don't have to wait every week for a chapter.... But OP is just average. I skipped a lot of Alabasta chapters because they felt boring and Luffy pissed me off (Well, I hate him)

You have f*cking plot convenience, OP charaters like Luffy & Zoro , nakama power everywhere.....

If you don't even like Luffy you should just drop it altogether...
Oct 18, 2016 10:56 AM

Nov 2010
Turtles_Leader said:
Dahaka_ said:
How an arc that introduced three different races to OP world, established that they came from a fucking moon and connected them to the void century can be irrelevant? How?

Well, none of those element became important after that, and except the race, that we've seen for 3 more chapters for Nami 2 year gap story, nothing has even been been said at any moment, not even a mention of it. And due to the fact their island don't move and they're in no way linked to any other organisation of OP, they probably will never appear again.

About the missing history, can you enlight me? I don't recall clearly, what's the link between Shandora and the missing history? Shandora fell during the missing history, ok, but it's a little weak to make it revelant. Of course thing happened during that century. But there is nothing else we learned about it. And we don't even know if it was important. It feels more like a small add to not make it totally irrevelant than anything else. and 7 volumes for that, I'm sorry, but it's long. Alabasta was this long because it was the conclusion of an overarc lauched with the arrival on Gran Line. Plus it was about one of the corsairs, and introduced the missing history and robin at the end. And it's a step for Luffy toward his goal, he became known as a real thread. There is nothing of revelance for anything in the plot, in fact, it feels a little like a filler.

Just because it has not became relevant yet, it doesn't mean it won't in the future.

The connection of Shandora and Void Century is the fact that they were protecting a poneglyph with information about an ancient weapon. That is enough to prove their relevance to the main events of Void Century. I can't tell you more because... well we don't know the history of void centruy, duh. Once we get to that plotline at the end of the series, we will find out.

Enel sooner or later will be back with his army, and Skypiea is the arc that set it all off and made possible to happen

Urouge is a birkan, just as Enel, so once his backstory kicks in, we will surely find out more.
It feels more like a small add to not make it totally irrevelant than anything else. and 7 volumes for that, I'm sorry, but it's long.

Aside from the above, Skypiea is not a filler solely for the fact that SH's got their money for a new ship there.

Also dials were introduced and became a part of Usopp's arsenal.

Skypiea is relevant no matter how you look at it:
- Overarching story? Important void Century connections and infromation for Robin about Poseidon
- Island to island story? Getting gold for a new ship
- World Bulding? Sky Islands and the moon introduced, also Weatheria
- Returning characters? Enel, a connection for Urouge, also a reason for Bellamy's development
- Other meaningful things? Usopp's dials

Conclusion: Skypiea is relevant.
Oct 19, 2016 1:01 PM

Mar 2014
It gets good when the crew number gets to 7+
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 28, 2016 12:51 PM
Jan 2012
Okay, you apparently made up your mind, but since a lot of people are wondering the same thing, here is what I can tell them:
Many say one piece is amazing and you are missing out if you don't read/watch it. I think it's true and they are completely right. But what I think doesn't matter. In fact, for you, it might turn out that all 844 chapters (up to date) are utter crap, and you shouldn't just go trough it all waiting for the story to "get good" cause everyone says so.
If you really can't stand any aspect of One piece, leave it. It's okay.

Now as to when it "get's good" that depends on what you like and dislike about it and in fiction in general. To me, it was good from the start, and it gradually became better, even with some bumps on the road. I must say, though, I went into it expecting an adventure comedy, so I didn't expect much or try to take it too seriously. The hype I think works against it at this point.
I can't tell you when you will feel that it gets good. I can only tell you why I really think One piece worth watching/reading, but consider it just my biased opinion:

People often praise Oda for the planning and the foreshadowing of his story, and it is for a good reason. There is a lot of pointless episodes, in the beginning, i can't deny that, but it was interesting to me what kind of things turned out to be important or at least matter in the long run.
The plot is, for the most part, well put together, with some aspects of it being surprisingly unpredictable. (Given the repetitiveness of the arcs, or maybe even because of it) because to this It only becomes better and better for now. At least to me. Many seem to dislike NW. To each their own. Also, I care more about the characters in One piece than I did in most (if not any) other series, be it books, games or TV. The characters, when you look at them logically, are not that extraordinary, but there is something about them, going beyond the sheer length of the series, that really makes you like them or care about them (Except for Buggy, fuck Buggy) and you remember them, due to their distinct character portrait.
The world, though it seems simple at first, is perfect for an adventure story. One piece is not concerned with being taken seriously and it goes into the realm of ridiculousness without a single doubt. And you go with it and accept it without question too. An island that is literally a cake, sure, sounds awesome! Realism? The fuck is that? A person can survive a nuke, who cares? (Okay that one was just a bit irritating) Snails for phones, a talking deer, a skeleton that can drink and eat and cry, people having the craziest proportions without much explaining going into it? Sounds great, count me in! With time it makes you not question shit, but simply enjoy it. I think it does that because when the plot gets serious, you know it's gonna be good. When shit hits the fan Oda delivers, and he teaches you not to doubt that. So, for the most part, you don't take it seriously, but you do when you must. I think One piece is funny, but it also has some really great drama. Brook's story being my favorite example of it.
One piece is not the best series, it does not have the best characters or the best story, hell, it doesn't even have the best world, or action, or humor. It's not the most original, and certainly, it ain't flawless, but I can tell you for sure it is the most entertaining and captivating thing I have seen in my 26 years of living. That's why I think it's a miss not to see it.

But if you don't feel the same way, for the most part of it, just leave it and move on. After all, you can always come back if you are still curious.
Many people don't like One Piece. It's fine. As long as you don't become an annoying hater. Oda is not some kind of a god better than anyone, and One piece is not superior to ANY other manga.
When it get's good... I can tell you an arc if you wanna know one, but to everyone this is individual and you have to bear that in mind. In my opinion, If by Arlong park, tops, you don't like the series at all, then it's best to leave it, but if you are so-so, then continue. Arlong park is not the best arc. Again it becomes better and better with a few bumps on the road.

God, that became long.... Excuse my shitty English and my fangirling for a bit there.
AntenorAOct 28, 2016 1:01 PM
Nov 1, 2016 3:34 AM

Feb 2016
AntenorA said:
Okay, you apparently made up your mind, but since a lot of people are wondering the same thing, here is what I can tell them:
Many say one piece is amazing and you are missing out if you don't read/watch it. I think it's true and they are completely right. But what I think doesn't matter. In fact, for you, it might turn out that all 844 chapters (up to date) are utter crap, and you shouldn't just go trough it all waiting for the story to "get good" cause everyone says so.
If you really can't stand any aspect of One piece, leave it. It's okay.

Now as to when it "get's good" that depends on what you like and dislike about it and in fiction in general. To me, it was good from the start, and it gradually became better, even with some bumps on the road. I must say, though, I went into it expecting an adventure comedy, so I didn't expect much or try to take it too seriously. The hype I think works against it at this point.
I can't tell you when you will feel that it gets good. I can only tell you why I really think One piece worth watching/reading, but consider it just my biased opinion:

People often praise Oda for the planning and the foreshadowing of his story, and it is for a good reason. There is a lot of pointless episodes, in the beginning, i can't deny that, but it was interesting to me what kind of things turned out to be important or at least matter in the long run.
The plot is, for the most part, well put together, with some aspects of it being surprisingly unpredictable. (Given the repetitiveness of the arcs, or maybe even because of it) because to this It only becomes better and better for now. At least to me. Many seem to dislike NW. To each their own. Also, I care more about the characters in One piece than I did in most (if not any) other series, be it books, games or TV. The characters, when you look at them logically, are not that extraordinary, but there is something about them, going beyond the sheer length of the series, that really makes you like them or care about them (Except for Buggy, fuck Buggy) and you remember them, due to their distinct character portrait.
The world, though it seems simple at first, is perfect for an adventure story. One piece is not concerned with being taken seriously and it goes into the realm of ridiculousness without a single doubt. And you go with it and accept it without question too. An island that is literally a cake, sure, sounds awesome! Realism? The fuck is that? A person can survive a nuke, who cares? (Okay that one was just a bit irritating) Snails for phones, a talking deer, a skeleton that can drink and eat and cry, people having the craziest proportions without much explaining going into it? Sounds great, count me in! With time it makes you not question shit, but simply enjoy it. I think it does that because when the plot gets serious, you know it's gonna be good. When shit hits the fan Oda delivers, and he teaches you not to doubt that. So, for the most part, you don't take it seriously, but you do when you must. I think One piece is funny, but it also has some really great drama. Brook's story being my favorite example of it.
One piece is not the best series, it does not have the best characters or the best story, hell, it doesn't even have the best world, or action, or humor. It's not the most original, and certainly, it ain't flawless, but I can tell you for sure it is the most entertaining and captivating thing I have seen in my 26 years of living. That's why I think it's a miss not to see it.

But if you don't feel the same way, for the most part of it, just leave it and move on. After all, you can always come back if you are still curious.
Many people don't like One Piece. It's fine. As long as you don't become an annoying hater. Oda is not some kind of a god better than anyone, and One piece is not superior to ANY other manga.
When it get's good... I can tell you an arc if you wanna know one, but to everyone this is individual and you have to bear that in mind. In my opinion, If by Arlong park, tops, you don't like the series at all, then it's best to leave it, but if you are so-so, then continue. Arlong park is not the best arc. Again it becomes better and better with a few bumps on the road.

God, that became long.... Excuse my shitty English and my fangirling for a bit there.

I signed up in mal only because of how much I loved one piece compared to so many animes I watched

I wasn't really excited about watching it and I put it on my plan to watch list for about 6 years but watching 750 episodes in 3 months was the best decision I have ever made

I really can't wait to watch the rest of the story but I think I have to wait another decade or so unfortunately as iam not a manga reading fan
Nov 2, 2016 8:02 AM
Sep 2016
AntenorA said:
One piece is not superior to ANY other manga.

Hey, I agree that many fans exaggerate extremely when they say that OP is the best thing ever made but One Piece IS superior to quite a lot of other manga. At least when we talk about the battle manga genre. To me it is a masterpiece and when it comes to pure, raw entertainment there is nothing else that comes even remotely close to it.
TCRfanaticNov 2, 2016 8:10 AM
Nov 2, 2016 4:10 PM

May 2015
AntenorA said:
As long as you don't become an annoying hater. Oda is not some kind of a god better than anyone, and One piece is not superior to ANY other manga. .

Pretty weird to say it's *good* but not superior to any other manga, it's not manga's Ulysses, but "not superior to any other manga"? What does that mean? haha

it doesn't even have the best world

It's gotta be up there (in terms of Asia comics). Berserk's is better well thought out and complex but doesn't have the enormous feeling of OP's and TOG's is larger but with less accompanying characters. But it's world is pretty good.
Nov 2, 2016 8:05 PM

Mar 2014
@AntenorA

Tbh, I just skimmed through your post and it seems I agree with most of it, but when you say it's not "superior to ANY other manga" just confuses perplexes the crap out of me.

You rate OP a 10 and Naruto a 9, does that not mean you think OP is superior to Naruto?
Nov 3, 2016 9:54 PM

May 2015
JonasTheJay said:
AP_974 said:

If you don't even like Luffy you should just drop it altogether...

Yeah the very main reason why I like One Piece starting from episode one was because I like him. His character isn't the cliche cool type and his funny demeanors and actions just make me want to support this guy too because it seems like he doesn't take things seriously but actually do but in a fun way rather. To make things straight, what you should do is not to remove yourself from its action, and you will find your heart beating from the damn excitement. As for me though I sympathize with the characters or crew members that's why it is not so bad for me to watch their pasts though...
" If a ghost's intention is to scare people, then people are definitely scarier because we have no way of knowing what their intention and thoughts are. "
Nov 6, 2016 11:41 AM
Jan 2012
ziggy_Z said:
@AntenorA

Tbh, I just skimmed through your post and it seems I agree with most of it, but when you say it's not "superior to ANY other manga" just confuses perplexes the crap out of me.

You rate OP a 10 and Naruto a 9, does that not mean you think OP is superior to Naruto?

@TCRfanatic @ashfrliebert

The original post said "I have heard the writing is supposed to be on a whole other level above any other manga." And it was a reference to that, but yeah, the way I worded it is plain wrong. Maybe I should've said "All other manga" instead Hahaha Sorry shitty self-taught English does that sometimes. What I meant to say is that One piece is good, but people who say is it is the best thing ever written are wrong, cause such thing doesn't exist.
AntenorANov 6, 2016 12:05 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Yesterday

9 by ramshireesh_1 »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

31 by Pakumen- »»
Apr 22, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1102 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Dec 17, 2023

87 by Slimdudejim »»
Apr 21, 10:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 769 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Maerow - Nov 26, 2014

67 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 21, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.