Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2011 6:43 PM

May 2010
This should be interesting. Admittedly, I watched it in the dub before joining MAL and it was during my early days of Anime so I never heard of this "subs" thing

From memory, it was great. I remember the town lady had a huge accent which was really cool lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 3, 2011 6:50 PM
Jan 2008
This is another one of my all-time favorite dubs; then again I like all the Disney-Ghibli dubs pretty much unreservedly. Neil Gaiman's script does an excellent job of striding the line between staying faithful to the original story while tweaking some places for lipflap/cultural differences/smooth flowing places, and the vocal cast is excellent. Billy Crudup, Minnie Driver, Gillian Andersen, Keith David, and even Billy Bob Thornton all turn in fine solid performances. Claire Danes' San may seem like the weak link for some viewers, but I personally thought she did a solid job.

Ironically enough, there are detractors of the MONONOKE dub who say that it is one of the worst dubs ever made and that it should be avoided. I can't understand what these people are thinking, because the opposite is true for me in every way. It's up there with CASTLE IN THE SKY, KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, and WHISPER OF THE HEART—my other top five dubs.

If there's any way I will ever watch this movie—or any of the other Ghibli productions, for that matter—it's in English. Especially when the dubs are as well done as these.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Mushi-shi

Lindle - Jul 22, 2011

3 by Jatz »»
Nov 6, 2014 5:07 PM

» Hunter x Hunter

Confucius - Aug 27, 2012

1 by Lindle »»
May 15, 2014 3:57 AM

» Noir

Confucius - Dec 24, 2011

3 by Confucius »»
Jun 10, 2013 6:08 PM

» Cardcaptor Sakura

Confucius - Aug 16, 2012

1 by Confucius »»
Feb 1, 2013 7:51 PM

» Outlaw Star

Confucius - Aug 31, 2012

1 by JTurner »»
Dec 23, 2012 6:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.