Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Trigun Episode 26 Discussion

Pages (2) 0.4 [1.4] »
Poll: Trigun Episode 26 Discussion

06-19-10, 6:10 PM

That was a very satisfying ending.

Neat fight.

You can't blame the man for having a dream.

06-21-10, 10:01 PM

GREAT OST

06-24-10, 8:26 PM

Just an okay ending; could've been much better.

07-02-10, 3:01 PM

Wow, Really a good fight and ending ;D

08-22-10, 9:24 AM

Wow, the final battle Vash vs. Knives was excellent! Very impressive moves and strikes, the general dynamics... The most epic part of the battle was the Russian roulette-like moment, when both Vash and Knives unload their guns, but leave one bullet, load it back, aim each other and try to pull the trigger... Wonderful...

The ending? Well, I didn't expect Vash to spare Knives' life. I thought that Vash (unfortunately) would have broken his rules once again and killed him... In the other hand, I don't think that bringing Knives to the friends was a good idea... In my opinion Knives is too dangerous to let him meet the girls and live with them. He should have left him alone if he really wanted to "save" him...

08-24-10, 5:29 AM

*Looks out window with Trigun music in head*

*Thinks about ending*

*Small tear rolls down my cheek*

10 doesn't seem like a fair score, can I give it an 11?

09-01-10, 9:11 AM

I've said it before and I have to say it again. Why is every one of these twisted freaks after humans? I mean no species is perfect. Every species leeches off other species, except the producers (plants). So why go only after humans? O_o;

"What is this pain?" lol Knives is weird :P Vash should have told him this is the same pain those humans feel when you hurt them.

The ending was... dunno. So Vash spared Knives's life. He defeated him in combat. Am I to understand that a guy like Knives will not do everything within his power to get even with Vash? Like hurting Milly or Meryl?

The flashbacks posed a pacing problem. Just one montage of their life, as you see Vash approaching Knives body, would have been good.

There's a movie too? O_o; Okay, gotta get that.

10-20-10, 10:36 PM

Good ending but the last few episode's felt a bit rushed to me ;\
There's still a lot of questions to be answered too.
I need a Epilogue :[

All in all great show 8/10, would've given it a 9/10 but i didn't like the last few episodes so...:)

11-06-10, 1:13 PM

A great fight, but I thought the ending would of gripped me more.

I feel as though the ending wasn't as good as some of the other scenes in the series, and the ending could of been much better.

It wasn't a bad ending, but I feel that it could of been amazing.

11-27-10, 10:28 AM

It exceed my expectations 8/10.

12-05-10, 9:18 AM

Excellent fight scenes, Vash and Knives synchorized perfectly together.
So in the end Vash finally came to his senses and figured out that while he will always remember what Rem taught him, he has to make and live with his own decisions. Leaving the red coat behind shows that he became his own person.
I really liked this anime and probably will re-watch it again for stuff that I didn't quite get this time around. Also enjoyed Milly and Meryl, they really complemented each other.
So...9/10.

12-11-10, 9:05 PM

Though Episodes 23 and 24 were the absolute peak of quality, the last two, as Vash comes to terms with all the difficulties he's had with his own morality system and decides not to kill Knives, were absolutely fantastic in a different way.

All the people who say Vash should've killed Knives make me laugh. No offense, but talk about completely missing the point.

Why does nearly every series I finish have somebody in the last episode complaining about someone and someone else not kissing? Midori Days, fine, it was a romantic comedy. But Welcome to the N.H.K.? TRIGUN? Really? Is romantic BS really that important that it needs to take over every single conclusion?

Oh, and 10/10, best anime ever made, even if I enjoy Higurashi a hair more.

01-15-11, 11:38 PM

Not the best ending, and I expected a lot more, being the last episode. I liked it, and the series in general. x)

<3

01-22-11, 4:24 PM

Eh, not my favorite but a good ending still.

I agree with SirHenryJon, I wish there had been a little more for Vash and Meryl. I'd be happy with a kiss on the cheek even!

01-30-11, 12:15 PM

That was boring...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

01-31-11, 12:36 PM

finally after 5 years of waiting i watched it !
it was really great full of morals which the new anime and society is unfotunately is lacking! great saying from rem carved in vashs heart
really very impressive anime and sayonara woodwulf>_<
i am going to watch the movie right now^0^
10/10

02-24-11, 4:48 AM

Unnecessary flashbacks ruined it a bit, but I still enjoyed the episode, the fighting part that is. It felt somewhat short though so I'd like to see an epilogue.
Overall, this turned out to be a very good anime; could've been a great one but those several episodes prior to this one made me give it 8/10 instead of 9/10. Anyway, I'm glad I've watched it, it's a classic and I'd recommend it to anyone even slightly interested in the world of anime.
On to the movie now...

02-24-11, 10:12 PM

After rewatching this I realized that Vash is kind of a dick. He contemplates bashing his brother's skull in, shoots him in the desert and abandons him, shoots him in the face with the super gun. Vash may be the savior of humanity, but Knives is definitely a nicer brother.

03-03-11, 2:39 PM

shadylookin said:
After rewatching this I realized that Vash is kind of a dick. He contemplates bashing his brother's skull in, shoots him in the desert and abandons him, shoots him in the face with the super gun. Vash may be the savior of humanity, but Knives is definitely a nicer brother.

Uh... I didn't get that at all.

03-04-11, 11:40 AM

shadylookin said:

Um, how is Knives a nicer brother? The guy purposefully KILLED hundreds of thousands of people because he felt they were below him.

Vash wanted to bash Knives in because he killed all of those people as well as the person he loved/looked up to the most, Rem. He shoots him in the desert because he's freaking angry. If someone killed the people you loved and whom raised you, wouldn't you be pissed?

Yet, he abandons Knives because a, he doesn't want to kill Knives because of what Rem said about life being precious, and b, if he stays around with Knives two things could happen: Knives could kill him or Vash could get angry enough to forgo what Rem said and just kill Knives.

You didn't see Knives hesitate to kill Vash in that last episode, did you? And Knives was SMILING a sadistic smile when he said that he killed everyone. Does that sound nice to you?

It sure doesn't to me.
"Someone once told me that, 'Friendships come with meetings, partings and reunions.' But how could you truly part with someone if they're always there...in your heart?"

03-09-11, 8:56 PM

Darkeiko said:
shadylookin said:

Um, how is Knives a nicer brother? The guy purposefully KILLED hundreds of thousands of people because he felt they were below him.

Vash wanted to bash Knives in because he killed all of those people as well as the person he loved/looked up to the most, Rem. He shoots him in the desert because he's freaking angry. If someone killed the people you loved and whom raised you, wouldn't you be pissed?

Yet, he abandons Knives because a, he doesn't want to kill Knives because of what Rem said about life being precious, and b, if he stays around with Knives two things could happen: Knives could kill him or Vash could get angry enough to forgo what Rem said and just kill Knives.

You didn't see Knives hesitate to kill Vash in that last episode, did you? And Knives was SMILING a sadistic smile when he said that he killed everyone. Does that sound nice to you?

It sure doesn't to me.

I just like playing devil's advocate so lets go...

Vash is nicer to people, but Knives is much nicer to his brother than he is to him. You have to keep in mind that to Knives humans are little more than cockroaches that abuse his fellow plant. So to him exterminating humans is no more evil than when a person swats and insect with a newspaper. However for him and his fellow plants he appears to genuinely want to create a paradise.

Lets try and walk in Knives' shoes.

He kills all the corrupt people trying to harm him and his brother. He tries to spare the life of Rem for Vash's sake(despite his obvious dislike for her). It's pretty clear that on Gunsmoke Knives is taking care of his inept brother who can only follow him and babble on about Rem for several years. While trying to create an eden for him and his brother Knives makes a gun for Vash. Which Vash then proceeds to shoot him with as Knives is trying to talk to him. After crying out in agony and begging for Vash to wait and help him Vash runs away leaving him for dead.

In the next shootout despite being an excellent marksman Knives only shoots Vash in the arm, Vash however shoots Knives in the face with the super gun. 20 years later Knives tries to get Vash to see the light by bringing out the gung-ho guns. Clearly he never actually tried to kill Vash with them because even if there was a snowballs chance in hell of him losing Knives also hired Wolfwood to protect him. In the end Vash kills Legato(the spider) to save the insurance girls(the butterflies). The suffering Knives puts Vash through is forcing Vash to see his own hypocrisy.

In the final shootout Knives is calmly sipping wine when Vash shows up points a gun at him. Despite ample opportunity and expert skill he never shoots Vash in a vital spot, instead choosing to shoot him in the shoulder(despite previously having it pointed at his forehead) and graze his limbs. Even if he truly was out to kill Vash(who could blame him at this point), Vash was not set on sparing his life either. It wasn't until the last moment after seeing him half dead when he decided not to kill Knives.

03-12-11, 11:09 PM

The problem therefore is not in Knives being the ultimate evil (although for humans he is totaly malefic) but in Vash failing to stand up for his (or Rem's) ideals in a way that would make his brother respect it for the start. Untill then Knives is in his right, as he sees it, and Vash only follows, babbling some foolishness short of running away, which he is afraid to do. Vash is (heart)broken and he realy doesn't understand what Rem meant, yet he believes strongly in those ideals. But belief is not enough and in the following years he will have to find a way to realise them, if there is any. Untill then Knives won't take him seriously and the only way to solve it would be to "kill the spider" which Vash refused to do in the first place and which is Knives' way. It is easy for Knives to see proof on his views for humans. Actualy, the majority of people we see colliding with Vash are morons who point a gun (or finger) at him shouting hystericaly, yet we know that it's not exactly a thing of nature but rather a lack of sense or purpose. A few have an idea and it is something that have to be nurtured on this unhospitable planet like that grove we see in one of ep's. Knives don't get the complexities, he sees only black, while Vash is clearly idealistic. But strangely, he seems to be more aware of the other side to humans, while Knives never bothers. We don't know if the species of Vash and Knives are realy superior to humans. They are just self-suficient, which humans are not. And seeng two brothers we might presume that they are not too different from humans emotion-wise and also imperfect as they make mistakes.
I thought Vash is finaly going to make a point and kill Knives and possibly die in the attempt. I kind of glad he didn't, surprisingly. And now he's going to bring his brother to people and make him live with them? And he will look after Knives and make him see people from good side too? Anyway, I guess he's going to be the "elder brother" now. For all his earlier sillines he finaly grew some impressive backbone. Seeing the shape Knives in mentally as he pointed both "plantet-killer" guns at his brother, smiling sadisticaly, Vash is taking huge risks bringing him to people. But at least he knows now what he's doing it for and what he wants.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

04-04-11, 4:25 PM

SirHenryJon said:

I would've liked to see Meryl and Vash get a bit more intimate though. (Is one kiss too much to ask!) She's cute. :3

9/10 from me.

I agree. (T^T) i loved her character. its one of those offscreen happy endings. i dont hate them, but i love my onscreen fanservice. At least Vash didnt die. i was bracing myself for a sad ending. i swear.. i watch too much sad stuff.

04-12-11, 2:39 AM

Really good overall. I enjoyed watching most of this.

05-26-11, 12:56 AM

Not a big fan of the ending. :/

Time to watch the movie.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~

07-18-11, 5:41 PM

Brilliant series, I was expecting good but did not think I would rank it amongst my favourites! 10/10

11-26-11, 5:18 PM

PANDEMlC said:

Another thing that is bothering me, why did Knives and Vash age after landing? Yet never aged later? I know they're supposed to be immortal, but they aged as children(physically), so why not later? A simple explanation at some point would of been fine, but leaving that reason out bothers me.

/rant

Oh Oh! I know this one!
Its because they are plants. Think like trees. It takes awhile to grow but ones they hit maturity their growth slows way down. Like trees, they are only imortal becuase they'll be the last things living until straight decapitated or something unknown to the researches comes through
Someone must be about to die: they're playing j-pop disco! -Frohike

12-13-11, 6:57 PM

Not bad, not bad at all.

01-01-12, 2:06 PM

ahhh ending was somewhat shorter then i expected...
I wonder what did he plan to do with his bro to beat some sence into him.

Sent with Mal Updater
BTW: Do I miss any worthwhile anime-romance from guy's point of view in MAL? Let me know without hesitation :)

01-31-12, 6:12 AM

All the flashbacks made the finale somewhat cramped. I still feel like some questions were unanswered in the end, but I guess that's only for those who like to explore every inch of their anime.

Vash vs Knives was short, but awesome to watch, unlike some of the recent shonen anime that think drawing out long battles with sermons in-between make the show more interesting.

An overall satisfying ending for me.

03-05-12, 9:51 AM

I thought the final battle was awesome; man to man (erm... plant to plant? :x) combat!

The russian roulette and all the flashbacks really added to the finale.

I'm torn whether I wanted Vash to just kill Knives, OR keep him alive, thus continuing his view that "no one has the right to take a life."

Either way, it was a great great show and I'm glad I finally got around to finishing it.

A solid 9/10 for me.

Soo.... there's a movie apparently? I'll def watch it.

03-19-12, 7:26 AM

Loved the flashbacks. They gave a lot of weight to the battle between brothers and helped remember what was at stake.

This anime started slow and kept on growing with the episodes 23-24 being absolutely perfect. Very well made and written stuff.

Time to see the movie.
“If it were a third-rate TV anime, a dead protagonist can come back to life at the producers’ convenience. But the world we live in is not such a convenient place. Lost lives will never return. Because of it, we live in a world where a life is an irreplaceable existence.”

03-31-12, 2:12 AM

So am I the only one who was suprised to find out at the last episode that Vash and knives were plants??!?
^^;;;

04-08-12, 12:44 PM

Meh, series started to get boring. 6/10

05-10-12, 5:55 AM

Great ending but kinda sad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

06-14-12, 10:15 PM

Aww, there really is always another way after all. It's good to see that Vash stuck to his ideals.
Other than that, I didn't like too much of the ending. It was definitely fitting, but it just seemed too sudden to be satisfying.
This wasn't quite as good as I heard. It was certainly very good though. Seems to be a common opinion, but I think the second half wasn't as good as the first.

06-24-12, 3:20 PM

The way I took it, Vash seemed to have moved on beyond Rem's ideals and finally decides to stop relying on her, which is really good and just shows how much he has developed throughout the series. I especially like how he left his red coat sort of to symbolize that.

I took his final line towards Knives as a way of actually giving proof to his point. Knives always said that the only way to survive is by taking the lives of those who are "weaker" than you. The fact that Vash had defeated Knives and still claimed that "I [he] will survive" is an indication of Vash demonstrating his philosophy and the flaw within Knives' beliefs.

10/10 - Great series, while the animation might suffer in some areas, I thought the writing and story alone justify a high score.
Modified by ronri, 06-26-12, 12:02 AM

06-25-12, 4:11 PM

Good ending. Vash really stuck with his character till the very end, but still developed in his own way.

I am disappointed that nothing intimate happened between him and Meryl. Or at least a kiss. Meryl is really cute too.

I give Trigun an 8/10. It was great, but the lack of Meryl and Vash left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But other than that, Trigun is definitely a "Must See".

08-16-12, 10:12 PM

The ending and it's flashbacks explained Vash.. it explained everything. It summed up the whole series. It made sense of everything that has happened before, it was a mystery. All we knew was Knives killed Rem, Knives tried to kill humanity. But it explained their weapons.. it explained their powers.. and why Vash was able to do such things (The episode where he stops the plant from exploding). The ending wasn't meant for Vash+Meryl.. or the fight between Vash+Knives. The ending was designed to make sense of everything.

08-16-12, 10:37 PM

Zanzie said:
The ending and it's flashbacks explained Vash.. it explained everything. It summed up the whole series. It made sense of everything that has happened before, it was a mystery. All we knew was Knives killed Rem, Knives tried to kill humanity. But it explained their weapons.. it explained their powers.. and why Vash was able to do such things (The episode where he stops the plant from exploding). The ending wasn't meant for Vash+Meryl.. or the fight between Vash+Knives. The ending was designed to make sense of everything.

Their abilities and most other things were explained before. I really don't think the last episode was purely for explaining everything and I don't think it did either. We already knew they weren't human and that Vash and Knives had huge differences in morality. I'll agree it did kind of explain their weapons but more than that it added depth to Vash and Knives, particularly Knives as it showed a caring side of him. Well towards Vash anyway. A little more development with Meryl would have been nice though, but I guess that's the way I feel about most anime, I always seem to want an episode of the main characters I like just being happy haha.

09-04-12, 8:50 PM

Knives needed an earlier introduction in the series. Sure, we can explain it with him being frozen for I guess some healing period, but from my view, the real bad guy all this time should've been Legato. The ending felt crunched up with this suddenly reappearing character appearing for a <10 minutes "ultimate" boss fight.

And I strongly dislike the ending. What happened to the goody good guy Vash that I looked forward to? What happened to the twenty hour reversing emotional dialogue I expected? I'm not sure whether Knives lived or died--I'll take my chances with the latter--but either one of them wouldn't do the "Vash-way" justice. I don't understand any of his motives for shooting out and wounding his own brother. It was never truly in my mind about the fighting in Trigun, it was about the pure, albeit naive and somewhat cheesy morals that Vash represented and held true, despite the living crap storm he plopped himself into.

Disappointed. Hovering between a 6/10 and 7/10.

11-15-12, 4:52 PM

Ending was okay, though i expected a lot more after all the mystery and mindgames we've had to sit through. He just meets up with the bad guy and kills(?) him. That's about it.

No profound conversation or anything. It's disappointing really. Especially after the last 3 amazing episodes!

So many unanswered questions. Like if those guns turn Vash and Knives' arms into god-like weapons, why doesn't Vash just throw it away? Where did those come from anyway? Who made them?

Also it seemed like half the episode was a recap of what's happened since 10 episodes ago. Not really what you want to spend time on for your last episode!

What i did like was his last words to Rem - "Rem, i like you and whatever, but fuck your bullshit philosophies!" - Paraphrased of course but he might as well have said that! He finally manned up xD

Is Trigun worth seeing? Well, yeah, i guess. Just dont expect a masterpiece like Cowboy Bebop or anything!

I give it 7/10
(8/10 if i'm being generous.)

Hopefully we'll get a remake someday that follows the manga which this anime apparently didn't! Seriously, why cant anime producers wait until the manga is done before doing an anime about it?

11-16-12, 8:24 PM

IcecreamManwich said:

Hopefully we'll get a remake someday that follows the manga which this anime apparently didn't! Seriously, why cant anime producers wait until the manga is done before doing an anime about it?

I'd go out of my way to argue that the manga is way more shounen than the anime (to the point of ridiculousness), and I find that the anime is much better in that regard.

12-03-12, 3:45 AM

My guess is because of deadlines.

12-04-12, 4:37 AM

ronri said:
IcecreamManwich said:

I'd go out of my way to argue that the manga is way more shounen than the anime (to the point of ridiculousness), and I find that the anime is much better in that regard.

I did not know that.

If i'm being honest i just want to see Trigun redone with the quality of animation that Badlands Rumble got! I know that's impossible since that was a big budget movie, but the animation of the series just really left a lot to be desired... :P

12-04-12, 5:40 AM

IcecreamManwich said:

I did not know that.

If i'm being honest i just want to see Trigun redone with the quality of animation that Badlands Rumble got! I know that's impossible since that was a big budget movie, but the animation of the series just really left a lot to be desired... :P

Fair enough, while I myself love Trigun (especially the anime) I'm not oblivious to its faults, one of them being the average animation. It is a shame though, while many hardcore fans would disagree with me, I found that the anime's approach to the story actually felt more mature than the manga.

Now to be fair, at the time when the anime was made, the manga was actually on hiatus (meaning it was practically cancelled). Only after the anime was made did it actually get relaunched, thus continuing the manga's story. In a way, the 1st half of the manga came first, then the anime, then the 2nd half of the manga. In that regard, the manga author probably decided to change some aspects of his story to make it drastically different from the anime (whether or not the manga is better is debatable though).

I do agree though, it'd actually be cool if Trigun was remade with the same level of animation from Badlands Rumble.
Modified by ronri, 01-09-13, 8:29 AM

01-09-13, 8:18 AM

I have to say it was a damn good ending. I enjoyed the scenes where he used Wolfwood weapon. All in all, I'm glad I finally had the chance to finish this wonderful show.

01-17-13, 2:03 PM

Pretty good ending and the best episode(I actually expected the whole anime to be like this). The flashback was cool too. The best moment was when Vash used Wolfwood's weapon.

1. Characters. +1. I don't really like Vash much and probably anyone besides Wolfwood and somewhat - Milly. But I guess they will do for a point here.
2. Atmosphere. +1. Despite I didn't really like the feel of this desert planet, I have to admit that the atmosphere was actually well-executed, to the point where I hated watching the anime because of it.
3. OST. +1. It's definitely not my favorite OST, but it was in place, and had 2-3 quality tracks. The OP is good and the ED not really.
4. Animation. +1. It's actually great animation for a 1998 anime and it goes well with Trigun's theme imo.
5. Background story. It wasn't something great... I'm not really impressed.
6. Storyline. Same here, the storyline wasn't much of a... storyline.
7. Ending. Not impressed here either. Vash was true to himself even then and that's creditable.
8. Fight scenes. +1. Well, if this aspect of Trigun sucked, I guess there would be nothing really good about it. The fights were overall great.
9. Drama. +1. It was somewhat OK, Wolfwood's death was the best dramatic moment.
10. Overall affect. I watched this anime because it is somewhat legendary, but it didn't leave me really impressed. It was good - nothing more, nothing less.

Overall score: 6/10.

01-23-13, 8:27 AM

What a lame ending. Most of it is recap and in addition there is a lame fighting again. I've never liked the "action" in this series, so light and so crappy. I think they've wasted a story with a great potential. I won't point the crappy things about ending at all, because it is not worth it, seriously.

7/10 from me.

The side-character build was bad, except for Milly and Wolfwood. Even Milly didn't have a background. The supposedly first side-character Meryl was a complete failure as a character build. No background, no particular personality. Just incomplete details such as her derringers and her problems with her family.
The logic they created was horrible. One of the brothers is a optimistic idiot, has an one-sided love obsession for 130 fucking years; the other brother is supposedly the logical one but he is merely a psycho. I understand they wanted to create deep characteristics for them but they could not.
Dramatic scenes was not touching at all.
Fighting scenes were horrible as well, no worthy action at all. I don't understand how this series is recommended to those who watched Cowboy Bebop.
There is so much cons in exchange for a few pros like the comedy element.
Modified by Adramelech, 01-23-13, 8:33 AM

03-01-13, 5:39 AM

It was nice rewatching it and seeing the end. 8/10 the same as what I first gave.
I wouldn't mind watching a remake of this.

Pages (2) 0.4 [1.4] »