Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2011 2:05 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm unsure if it's a good or bad thing that Les Mis didn't end as I expected it to. Ever since Marius declared that he'd become a lawyer, I assumed it was a given that he'd play a key role when Javert finally caught Valjean and some quality courtroom drama played out. But Marius never had a chance due to Javert doing what I once thought unthinkable: allowing Valjean to go free. Although it did affect me to see Javert gradually come to the realisation that the man he'd hunted with such venom wasn't the devil incarnate, I can't help but be a little disappointed that all those Valjean helped over the course of the story weren't able to repay him by testifying for him; revealing all of the good he'd done.

The revolt - which ended before it got started - was thrilling. However, it was taken away from considerably by people dropping dead without any wounds or blood shown. The worst part of it all was the blatant double standards: Eponine's blood being shown when she died, yet the numerous other bullet wounds to others seemingly not requiring any red colour usage.

And, typing of double standards, what was with the anime writers being happy to stay faithful to the source material when it came to Eponine yet unleashing the power of deus ex machina to avoid Gavroche and Javert's deaths? If anyone deserved a happy ever after, it was the most pitiful/tragic character of them all, yet she was still allowed to die in the arms of her beloved; never receiving any love from anyone. Seriously, what the hell!?

In the case of Javert, it was as if sunlight transformed him into a shounen character. There he was, on a bridge, after finally seeing how he was more of a criminal than Valjean and how he'd lead many to their deaths with his machline-line dedication to the law... and, in the depths of despair, the sun rising convinced him to become a nice guy? I actually cringed at the part in episode 51 where he screamed at Thenardier about how people can change and that he'd send him to prison over and over again until he became a better person. Despite what most shounen manga would have you believe, someone telling you it's possible to change doesn't mean people's personalities do sudden 180's.

I'm not even going to go into the surprise psychic connection dog heroics of Chou Chou. Or Valjean managing to get out of quicksand (w/e) through willpower alone.

In spite of the above whathefuckery, I was mostly very pleased with the last quarter. Eponine's tragic end and Javert transforming into a character with more depth than that of an overly dedicated cop, as well as Valjean's heroics when he rescued Cosette's beloved, meant there was much characterisation goodness. The post-revolt episodes that came before the final two lacked a sense of purpose and mostly just went over what I already knew, but the mid-section of the series had far worse, far more irritating pacing.

It's a shame I ended Les Mis without adding it to my favorites. The first 20ish episodes (with episide-to-episode progression) had me convinced it'd be joining Gankutsuou on my list, but serious pacing issues and Cosette never developing once she'd been rescued - as well as involving herself in pure-pure love-love fakeness - detracted heavily from my enjoyment.

Also: did anyone else feel sorry for Valjean? He'd selflessly dedicated much of his life to Cosette and she repaid him by running off with the first boy she came across. That's gratitude for you!
Oct 19, 2012 6:52 AM

Jan 2012
The older Cosette gets, the crappier this series become..

nice series nonetheless

8.5/10
Dec 15, 2014 8:34 PM

Dec 2012
And with that, everything comes to full circle. I guess judging by the posts I've read I'm in the minority but this series has been nothing but a pleasure to watch from beginning to end. It is not without flaw, but I feel like the messages it conveyed and the journey that it took me on far outweigh those slight shortcomings.

Watching the characters progress through their lives and how they grew through their hardships and trials has been a true delight. The amount of development and substance behind so many characters is Shoujo Cosette's strongest point. There were also a vast amount of themes to be had throughout this series, and I tried to keep track of each one and its role within this tale.

The first and foremost theme is redemption. Jean Valjean was truly an extraordinary character, sacrificing so much towards his selfless aim of starting over and repaying the equally selfless amount of kindness he was shown.

The second that I felt received the most emphasis is the importance of goodwill towards others. There were so many situations in which good deeds and generosity went a long ways, often rewarding characters such as Valjean and Cosette in unexpected ways. This is perfect considering that Christmas is fast approaching.

There were also other themes that, although they weren't necessarily directly put out there, I took away from this series no less. Themes such as responsibility, living humbly, pursuing the happiness of others, and helping those in need. Behind Shoujo Cosette's childish, wholesome delivery is a rich amount of morals and lessons that are still so significant today.

This adventure is over, but I sincerely hope that the World Masterpiece Theater program continues to bring these sorts of down to Earth, meaningful stories to modern anime and I always welcome more adventures that encourage the betterment of humanity.

9.5/10
Nov 8, 2015 10:54 AM

Jun 2015
This anime certainly had its moments. Fantine's degeneration, Jean and Cosette meeting for the first time and the subsequent chase from Javert that lead them to the monastery, Jean against le Patron Minette and even if I didn't feel very engaged with the Revolution, Eponine's death and Marius being rescued come to mind as well.

Overall, I'd recommend.
Apr 27, 2018 7:04 PM
Dec 2017
AironicallyHuman said:
what was with the anime writers being happy to stay faithful to the source material when it came to Eponine yet unleashing the power of deus ex machina to avoid Gavroche and Javert's deaths? If anyone deserved a happy ever after, it was the most pitiful/tragic character of them all, yet she was still allowed to die in the arms of her beloved; never receiving any love from anyone. Seriously, what the hell!?

In the case of Javert, it was as if sunlight transformed him into a shounen character. There he was, on a bridge, after finally seeing how he was more of a criminal than Valjean and how he'd lead many to their deaths with his machline-line dedication to the law... and, in the depths of despair, the sun rising convinced him to become a nice guy? I actually cringed at the part in episode 51 where he screamed at Thenardier about how people can change and that he'd send him to prison over and over again until he became a better person. Despite what most shounen manga would have you believe, someone telling you it's possible to change doesn't mean people's personalities do sudden 180's.

I'm not even going to go into the surprise psychic connection dog heroics of Chou Chou

Yeah, that kinda irked me too. Especially since the show pulls no punches with Fantine dying, explicitly using the novel's version where she dies of despair. But Gavroche and Javert suddenly get spared because...

I do understand though that the show kinda needs an optimistic ending for the children, but they can't just sugarcoat everything.
Aug 26, 2018 9:22 AM

Apr 2018
Became kind of meh near the end but still good 8/10
Oct 29, 2018 8:08 PM

Nov 2016
Kinda went as expected, but that isn't a bad thing. I especially loved the final scene.

But boy what a ride it was, very memorable and beautiful story that played with my emotions, in that regard it was extremely good and that' something I value a lot while watching anime.

So I'm gonna go with a 8,5-9. This has become one of my favorites for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2019 8:31 PM
Jan 2019
Just amazing anime ! !
Feb 19, 2019 12:08 PM
Jan 2019
This anime is one of the greatest historical / roman based animes...
Just amazing
Jun 30, 2020 8:53 AM
Nov 2018
What a wonderful anime.
I wanted them to adapt Victor Hugo's The man who Laughs for anime, the book became musicla in Korea.
Jun 30, 2020 8:53 AM
Nov 2018
What a wonderful anime.
I wanted them to adapt Victor Hugo's The man who Laughs for anime, the book became musicla in Korea.
Aug 23, 2021 7:16 PM

Aug 2018
Pretty great show but with some serious flaws. Quite a slow start; I almost dropped it but then I became invested in the story and then it was hard to stop watching. Eponine was the most interesting character, everyone else was kind of bland and predictable. Worst of all, the last five or six episodes seemed unnecessary and very, very boring.

But I quite enjoyed it for the most part. 8/10.
Oct 8, 2022 6:26 PM

Jul 2017
What a wonderful series.
I almost dropped at the beginning when Fantine and Cosette were suffering so much. I'm glad I managed to keep going on. My favorite part was when Jean and Cosette went to live on the church for a small time, it looked like peace would last forever, but despite the hardships and some deaths, the anime was very good overall.

8.5 / 10
Nov 24, 2023 3:55 PM
Sep 2021
It was perfect, down to the last minute detail.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 17 Discussion

000rga - Dec 12, 2017

1 by Majod20 »»
Feb 29, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 51 Discussion

AoiTrinity - May 11, 2013

3 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Sep 23, 2022 8:25 PM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 46 Discussion

xochandaox - May 23, 2011

3 by EmperorKaido »»
Apr 30, 2022 4:16 AM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 44 Discussion

Zekkenshin - Dec 15, 2014

4 by EmperorKaido »»
Apr 29, 2022 9:21 PM

Poll: » Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette Episode 30 Discussion

Unowen - Nov 2, 2015

4 by EmperorKaido »»
Apr 25, 2022 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.