Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 16, 2011 2:28 AM

Aug 2010
I heard many people found this show basically depressing and as I'm a big fan of happy endings, I knew this would hit me hard. Still, this is how it had to end, perfectly executed. Not having to exists in such a horrible place is probably a kind of a happy ending on its own... 9/10 from me, loved the atmosphere, the story and the characters. It was a great ride, but now I'll have to watch lots of comedies to cheer myself up.

Edit: Although I would really like to know what was the ultimate fate of humanity in this particular show. I'm sure the people above the ground continue to exists for some time before they disappear completely and most of the inhabitants of the city are dead. There are only the Shapes left, with the possibility of evolution. But I'm not sure if I buy what Kanno said. Still, what about the rest of the Earth?
Mogami-kunJul 30, 2012 10:16 AM
Sep 4, 2011 12:17 AM
Sep 2011
misaseh098 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
what do you guys think???

-for me, it's too bad that they

well i mean not everyone theres still few people left.....
Sep 4, 2011 6:13 AM
Jul 2011
igalko said:

Anyway, many things might go wrong in building this new world, but the survivors will be careful to avoid repeating the same mistakes -- at least for a while. Humans may be ultimately doomed, but the humans in this story just smashed their way out of a dead end and got a new lease on life.

There are no real survivors. Those who endured war with the shapes were driven insane later. And as it was stated in previous episodes there is no way going above the ground since the way is destroyed. Also at the beginning of episode 21 narrator says that humanity is living its last moments in Lux. So your vision of conclusion is a little bit too optimistic.
Oct 14, 2011 7:57 PM
Sep 2007
8/10

They just don't make anime like this anymore.
Oct 21, 2011 8:01 PM

Sep 2008
Can't say I liked this ending. But overall, the show was fantastic.
Oct 29, 2011 11:30 AM

Feb 2009
There was never a happy feeling or smile during the entire run of Texhnolyze. It is certainly one of the most depressing stories told through this medium. A sad ending was to be expected, but when it gives you a feeling of emptiness after going through a 22 episode series, that's something else. Definitely not for everyone.
Nov 7, 2011 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
I thnik this is possible the first time I have given a sad and 100% hopeless ending 10 out of 10.
this anime definetely isn't for everyone and shouldn't be my thing, but this was well worth he watch - it's a shame this is the end.

Dec 2, 2011 2:33 AM
Dec 2011
Just finished up this series in a marathon session over the course of a day. Someone recommended it to me when I was asking for some good cyberpunk anime. I have a habit of becoming too immersed in what I watch or read and Texhnolyze really took me to a dark place. After a few episodes I was kind of expecting a very...empty ending and for this fact I told myself I wouldn't get attached to any character...but I just couldn't help myself with Ran. ;_; (why?) The ending gave me a feeling I've never had before, I feeling of loss and despair.

I'm going to wallow these feelings for a few but after seeing something like this I think its time to watch something that will restore my faith in humanity. Something happy. :)
Jan 16, 2012 5:04 AM

Jul 2009
tofei said:
Anyway I didn't really dig deep on the philosophical issues so I'll leave my own questions about this series unanswered.

Personally, I agree with tearofmankind; I find it to be very Nihilistic.

Also, I think you have to be familiar with Gnosticism to fully "grasp" the philosophy of the show. A lot of the stuff in the series (especially the key characters like Doc and Kano) are representations of important Gnostic figures and ideas.

For example:

Kano = the Demiurge
Doc = Sophia or Wisdom
Lux = the Demiurge's materialistic domain
The Surface World = Pleroma or the Divine World
Texhnolayzation = the outcome of Sophia's creativity/materiality...
etc. etc.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/gnostic/
Jan 30, 2012 8:52 PM

Nov 2011
I just finished it tonight and I have to say I found the ending disappointing. Basically that was the end of the human race, without God. That's not how its supposed to happen.
Feb 12, 2012 10:12 PM

Nov 2010
tearofmankind said:

Not matter what we do, we are about to fall, cause we are human and we are flawed. Improving human with some kind of technical stuff is nothing more than trying to make people better. Unfortunately it does not change anything.

Perfect ending to great show.

Beautifully said.

... this, THIS ending just left me utterly empty and lonely. Like I was watching my own death... The ending song had a similar atmospheric feeling like "Komm Süßer Tod" from the Eva movie, or Cowboy Bebop's "Blue". Nevertheless.. fitting lyrics. Fitting ending. Grandios!

I honestly had to rewatch the last few scenes to actually grasp what just happened. I was incredibly numb and chocking from this depressiveness surrounded in this anime, eventually clashing into you and sapping the last breath of air you had left. (I completed the entire series from episode 8. Bad Idea. Never doing that with this kind of depressing series again.)

One positive thing I could squeeze out of it was Ichise's exit. I was trying to convince myself that he only killed those last people out of self-defense. Like he said himself he had changed, but his actions weren't really different. Though, it was that realization and that self-analytic behaviour that gave the audience a very, very small glimpse of hope inside this dying character. (I'm sure if the story progressed from this point, he would have changed.)
Not to forget just how he was able to move his arm and leg. Without effort, he would have not been able to use it to its full potential.

I really doubt from all that happened, that any other human would have reacted different. Losing all the people he had gained to love and then having it being taken away from him in such a brutal manner, (where he actually just relearned to be able to trust and love again...) In front of his eyes. Who would have not raged?

Ah and yes, symbolism for that beautiful twisted flower hologram thing that came out of his arm. I think he died fulfilled in SOME kind of way. And I do hope to believe the Ran was smiling when he threw her off that cliff. Those who have passed on are defianitely more in peace than those people from the surface whos' ghosts are still running around.

Now that I've typed down some things to get my mind calm the eff down, I'll go and spam the ending song because even though it's depressing, it's somehow very soothing.
Mar 28, 2012 12:42 AM
Nov 2011
Ah, nicely concluded. I liked the anime overall, so, a 6/10.
Apr 7, 2012 10:51 AM
Feb 2010
Wow this Ending really left me speechless.
while there are still a few unanswered questions the most important ones all are solved now.
I wouldnt have expected to go this bad but it seems like Ichise really is the last human alive and even if he wasnt without light and energy no human will survive for too long down there.
So in the end whats left of the human race is virtual memories on the earths surface and heads who only live on minimum energy and both is bound to go extinct soon.
damn compared to this he really wouldve been better off dying after getting his arm and leg cut off.

even if I didnt expect this for me its the best ending this anime could've had. Really awesome!
Apr 7, 2012 11:36 AM

Oct 2011
Damn that was one of the hardest episodes to watch. It was to depressing good series overall not as good as Ergo Proxy Thought.
May 9, 2012 2:24 PM

Dec 2011
I'm glad a lot of other people recognize this amazing series for what it is! I also find it a bit humorous listening to people whine about how they couldn't connect to the characters, how the anime was too slow, boring etc.

This show isn't for braindead people who have been conditioned by 1000 other anime series to watch without thinking. If you actually sit down and use your noggins for a few minutes - you might realize the pace of the anime, and the way the characters acted were all intended by the creators of the anime and happen to be a vital part of the story.

It honestly blows my mind that some people could possibly think this anime is boring. I mean damn, did ya even watch the last 6 episodes? One of if not the most thought provoking forms of media I've ever had the pleasure to experience - cheers to whoever had the fuckin cajones to actually produce such a monstrosity!

In conclusion - This is hardest, most well done Cyberpunk I've ever seen and probably ever will see. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2012 3:56 AM

Aug 2010
igalko said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. This anime was a joy and a pleasure to watch. Definitely one of my favorites.
Jun 4, 2012 5:44 PM
Oct 2011
I want to kill myself.
Jun 21, 2012 1:01 AM

Dec 2011
"THIS IS TERRIBLE, ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS GOOD BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT IS STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" replicated from a certain person. Haters gonna hate, mongrel never change
Jul 13, 2012 7:03 PM
Jun 2012
Personally, I found it to be one of the most literal-minded series I've seen.

It's the way that all of the pronouncements by the main characters that sound profound or symbolic turn out to be completely literal. When Doc says that she's part of Ichise, she is speaking in the very material sense, that her cells are physically attached to him. When the characters call the surface the "Land of the Dead," they mean that the people there are truly quite dead.

Whenever anyone tries to make grand philosophical gestures, they end of committing mass murder or get derisively waved off (like when Shinji told Yoshii to stop being so pretentious or when Onishi ignored Kano's rambling).

Everyone died in the end because, well, that's what happened in the end as a result of the actions before the end. All the events in the series were "things that happened" within the context of the characters and setting.

You know what? Never mind; screw all of that.

It's about how living fully; helping others; and living with compassion, understanding, and love are all the right things, even when completely futile gestures, even when it all ends in failure.

At first, Ichise is afraid of Ran's prediction because he doesn't want to be alone when he dies. Then he realizes that he's afraid of dying alone because it means he could no longer help Ran. At long last, he dies alone, no longer afraid because he knows that he did all that he could to help Ran.
Doctor_JanusJul 15, 2012 9:43 PM
Jul 19, 2012 7:51 AM

Dec 2009
Nice bittersweet ending. Great series 9/10.
Jul 20, 2012 11:09 PM
Nov 2010
What a great series!
The main characters were very well done, they all had so many layers of complexity that made them fascinating (Onishi and Shinji were great, I loved how Onishi refused to accept the insanity) and the tortuous development of Ichise was so beautifully done.
The whole idea of Texhnolyzation was very interesting, the design and ost were amazing.
Truly enjoyed it. 9/10.
Jul 23, 2012 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
jebus. This anime starts depressing and ends depressing. I'm going to need like 50 comedy animes before I can watch something else like this again.
Aug 4, 2012 12:17 AM

Jul 2011
For some reason this series didn't draw me in as much as SEL or Ergo Proxy did, maybe because I've become too immune to such dark themes and plots. However, I still enjoyed the show and thought the production was done pretty well. The way the surface world was displayed was what made this show stand out.

If there were decimals, this is a 7.5/10 for me.
Aug 6, 2012 11:21 PM
Jul 2011
I just finished rewatching this series and I enjoyed it even more than I did the first time around. Such a tragic and beautiful series. It just earned a spot among my top 3 anime. 10/10.
Aug 7, 2012 8:48 PM

Jul 2011
Simply outstanding. This show depicts the downward spiral of man in such an intelligent and thought provoking manner. I finally found a show that left me in awe after so long and reached my rare score of 10/10.
Aug 8, 2012 8:46 PM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
10/10
The end of humanity. I must say I was hoping for a more optimistic ending. It took guts for the creators to end it like this.

It's a totally depressing but beautiful artistic masterpiece for emotionally mature viewers. I will watch anything Yoshitoshi ABe is involved in. In this case he was the character designer who gave the anime it's look and atmosphere.
Aug 12, 2012 8:31 PM

Mar 2011
Man, seeing Ran like that was more than a little jarring.
Aug 17, 2012 7:15 AM
Jul 2011
TowardsTheStars said:
Man, seeing Ran like that was more than a little jarring.

Agreed. Seeing Ran as a Shape was probably the most depressing thing in this whole series ;_;
I wonder why/how:
Kano didn't "Shape" himself? Did his (Onishi's) new legs get rejected by his body and drive him jealous/insane enough to make everyone less "human" than himself?
Yoshii got tehxnolyzed?
Ran didn't tell Gabe, Ichise more of the vision given that it was a single possibility?
I like this series. The evolution of Ichise was really well done (he couldn't have been far from suicidal at the start) 9/10.
Aug 22, 2012 5:00 AM
Mar 2011
Perfect ending, I won't elaborate because I've already read almost everything I thought in some of the posts in this thread, so...

I find it amazing how good the pacing is. There are a few anime that I'm satisfied with the pacing, and this one is probably one of the best I've ever seen, I can't understand how people consider this to boring.
Sep 8, 2012 3:41 PM
Nov 2009
This anime was worth watching, however, I found it tried too hard at being intellectual and ended up detracting from the experience doing so. There was some very good storytelling to be had, but it wasn't consistent enough, and some parts were downright embarrassingly poor, although short and went by fairly unnoticed. The humans, the odd future/present hybrid setting, and the whole situation were extremely unrealistic and hard to relate to as well on a literal level, but that's not that big of a deal. One thing that this anime can be lauded for is the originality it had, which for me was the main draw, the ending was also not as cliche as most so it certainly separates itself from the pack.

A lot of people mentioned that they cried at the ending, but there really wasn't anything sad about it. The main character was content and at peace with finally being put to rest, he should've died earlier anyway.
Nov 2, 2012 11:02 PM

Oct 2008
I'm glad I rewathced this, I think I understood a great deal more than I did the first time.
The ending was so depressing :( yet happy.
Nov 12, 2012 9:11 AM

May 2012
That ending was one of the greatest scenes from any anime ever.
Nov 23, 2012 12:38 AM

Aug 2012
I don't know, once that music started playing at the end it kind of threw my mood off.
Imagine if there was absolutely no audio except for the dark hum of Lux for the rest of the ending.. Now that would have been a masterpiece.

8/10
y30y430iNov 23, 2012 11:43 AM
Nov 23, 2012 12:55 PM
Sep 2009
UnusDominus said:
I don't know, once that music started playing at the end it kind of threw my mood off.
Imagine if there was absolutely no audio except for the dark hum of Lux for the rest of the ending.. Now that would have been a masterpiece.

8/10

Gotta disagree with that. The series was purposefully lacking any kind of emotional payoff or catharsis throughout the entire thing - but when the music starts, it's the show finally letting all the emotion that it has purposefully held back finally hit the viewer all at once. There aren't that many things that are perfect, but Texhnolyze's ending is one of them.

Also, after 22 episodes of the show keeping you at arms-length, it needed a huge catharsis like that at the end, and that song combined with Ichise's last moments were instrumental in providing that. If you remove the music, it would also just further advance the misplaced interpretation that the series is a nihilistic black void of despair and that everyone's actions were pointless.
Nov 24, 2012 1:13 AM

Aug 2012
@Yanqui

Yeah, I guess it took me some thinking to really understand it. I have literally watched nothing today because of the fact that I've been thinking about Texhnolyze.
I just thought if I put myself in Ichise's state, just sitting there watching the hologram with the ambiance of the city, that it would have been much more despairing.
After some thought, however, I've begun to realize that we all needed that last touch.
Maybe it even brought some hope?
I still have a cold ache..
Dec 3, 2012 12:35 PM
Jun 2011
im starting to feel like i need to watch it all again.

tho remembering how it felt at the end, is stopping me from going thru once more
Dec 12, 2012 4:47 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, what a series. Lukus actually became purgatory.
I got a sense of nihilism or, at best, hopelessness from this show. In the future, humans will all die and everything we gave meaning to will become meaningless, regardless of how much we fight this fate.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2012 8:48 AM
Aug 2012
Just re-watched it.. Some minor things that bothered me like.. why when they go back to the surface does that guy tell his boss that he murdered Yoshi? When really it was Ichese and Oonishi who killed him. There were some other things as well that seemed to make no sense but I can't think of them at the moment. They are all minor things though and I enjoyed this even more the 2nd time through as it all made a lot more sense to me.

As most the others, I felt empty at the end. No sadness, no tears, just empty. The only time I smiled throughout the series was when the Organo guy wanted to become the new leader and went to the other gangs explaining his position and the other gang leaders were just all "wtf?".

I remember after first watching this series I recommended it to everyone! Anime lovers and haters. Even though I have other favorites over this show it still managed to be the one I talked about most, likely because of the long lasting impression it left on me. I bumped it up from my original 8/10 to a 9/10. Great rewatch value on this one.
Jan 14, 2013 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
Well, too bad it didn't end all too well for the characters considering the dark mood and the backgrounds of the story originally anyways. For me, it was a pleasant watch although I found the series to be trying a bit too hard with the gore, violence, and psychological factors. 7/10.

That ED song was beautiful this episode.
Jan 15, 2013 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Man...
One of those endings that's pretty heavy. It was either become a soulless ghost above ground or face fate of the insanity of Lux...the pit of hell rather.
Pretty sweet of the Doc to include the hologram of the Rafia at the end there as well, best thing to see before dying off.
Overall, the show kept me tuned in because of my curiosity of why things were so dreadful. Towards the ending episodes, it was eye opening to see that the majority of the show took place under ground; initially I thought seeing the open world was a 'breath of fresh air' and hope, but instead was just as grim, unfortunately. So yeah, either way, that whole world was screwed up.
Can't say my emotions were pushed over the edge to cry, but it did feel rather down by the end of it and let ending song carry me through as the last minutes slipped by. Heaviest show I've ever watched by far, but have to admit it wasn't as entertaining as my favorite, Ergo Proxy.
9/10

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Oct 2012
I dedicate my first post to this anime.

A masterpiece in my opinion.
Just what I was looking for.
10/10

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
Jan 19, 2013 7:15 AM
Oct 2012
this was a very dark anime so i was not expecting a happy ending but killing everybody was going a bit far not even leaving one charter alive what was the point? cold have been better.
Jan 21, 2013 5:10 AM

May 2012
Loved the anime overall but I didn't really like the ending...well the series was always depressing and dark so why not end it on that note as well...
Feb 1, 2013 3:24 PM

Nov 2007
The first half of the show until Yoshii's death was pretty captivating and unique. I loved the setting and background story and once they went above ground I was mesmerized. However, that middle part with the incest-born bishounen villain initiating the destruction of everything seemed too generic and not worthy of the great build up. Ultimately, this series main weakness is its characters. Ichise never quite amounted to anything, same goes for Ran. The main villain lacked proper motivation and people just ran off getting turned into texhnolyzed soldiers for no apparent reason. For the most part still an interesting watch but not coherent enough to make it big.
Feb 7, 2013 12:01 PM

Jan 2012
Well I had a feeling everyone will die in the end. In any case, the ending was good without a doubt. The show itself was really interesting, loved the plot.

Feb 10, 2013 1:08 PM

Oct 2010
Enjoyed this one a lot. We really don't get too many of these kinds of anime very often, especially today where everyone's trying to out-moe each other. It ended the way it started. No heroic protagonist saving the day at the last minute. Ran said many people would die and Ichise would be all alone, and that's what happened. Consistency!
Feb 22, 2013 1:51 AM
Sep 2011
coming into the show I was already given the impression that it was goin to be a "depressing" series..personally for myself I felt no attatchment to any of the characters, (yes that includes Ran) :(..so when they died I was like "mehhhh"..I was however a lil bummed that they killed Yoshi off so soon..he added spunk to the show..
overall, good story 7/10
Feb 25, 2013 12:52 AM
Jan 2013
This is truly one of the greatest shows I've seen. The animation was superb, and the soundtrack was one of the best I've heard. The cinematics as well, people usually say that the pace and slowness are a negative aspect but I found that to add to the overall mood and atmosphere. It really gave you a sense of despair and had a grim outlook throughout the entire run.

I loved the themes in it as well, rare to see such a complex anime. The surface world was the most poignant out of everything. It showed that humanity on the surface had progressed to such a level that they found no will to live. It was a utopia, and even Ichise said to Ran that on the surface nobody wants to kill anyone. They eliminated conflict and problems on the surface, creating a perfect world, and hence the people who now had nothing to live for gave up their will to live. A perfect utopia turned into a dystopia. In contrast Lux is where true humanity survives. Ironically enough the original denizens of Lux were banished underground but they in the end espoused true humanity. Everyone in the series claims they wanted to advance humanity to another level, to facilitate the next step in evolution. However everyone's attempts fail and it is implied humanity is going extinct.

The ending where everyone goes insane, and how Ran refused to convey everybody's fate was very powerful.

Overall my favorite characters were probably Yoshii and Kimata, the head of the Salvation Alliance. I just liked his character design, and I quite liked the mantra of the Alliance. Mind! Body! Soul! Truth! Vengeance!
May 27, 2013 1:09 AM
Aug 2011
There was a killing done (the Organo guy who was killed in pool) by a girl with a hat that looked like caithlyn from lol. I didn't understand the reason they showed such a scene and waited for that woman to show up again, but she didn't. What was the story behind it?

I couldn't find much of the "darkness" in this series as people said there would be, there is an overreaction in that way, clearly. This series had a good storyline, somewhat doesn't feel complete but it was good and enjoyable.

8/10.
AdramelechMay 27, 2013 1:35 AM
Jun 5, 2013 4:40 PM

Jan 2013
7/10
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

loghneckbeard - Apr 28, 2010

53 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.