Forum Settings
Forums

Fourth Season of Hidamari Sketch Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 13, 2011 1:38 PM

Jul 2010
First season was kinda eh imo.

Does it improve as it goes on? Should I stick with it?
Aug 13, 2011 1:40 PM

Jan 2010
YAY

maybe I should watch previous seasons cuz it's been year since I've watched them ><
Aug 13, 2011 1:47 PM

Sep 2008
I'm saddened to see how many posts in here state that they have not caught up or watched it yet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2011 1:53 PM

Jul 2010
YESSSSSSS moar YUNOCHII and MARBLE lol
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Aug 13, 2011 2:00 PM

Aug 2010
I'd watch it if I had watched the 1st three seasons, but there is no way I'm going to watch them all before this airs. Well I may and try to watch the first one at least...
Aug 13, 2011 2:54 PM

Aug 2009
jmal said:
8RstuPId2Y said:
More moeshit. Just what this dying industry needs.

Amazing, it took all the way until reply #35 for the first troll to appear. I think this is a record for MAL! Usually one of the first three replies is some whiner.

And lol "dying industry".

I know, right? Funny that 'dying industry' had 180,000 visiters for single comiket 80 event. yeah, troll is a fail troll.

I think there is no reason to stop this series until the manga ends. It is Shaft's main funding machine. I think it will get even better sales after Madoka's success.
Aug 13, 2011 3:35 PM

Aug 2008
YES! More of my beloved Miyako!

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 13, 2011 3:39 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Best news I heard all summer.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 13, 2011 3:40 PM

Feb 2008
And I was like "Y U No make new season?"
Aug 13, 2011 3:47 PM

Jan 2011
This is exciting news.
Now I just need to see the 2nd and 3rd seasons.
"You watch too much."
"I don't watch enough."

Aug 13, 2011 3:59 PM

Nov 2008
Bern said:
Another anime where I haven't watched the first season. Now I have to hurry.
Aug 13, 2011 4:38 PM

Jan 2008
Sweet. I knew it was only a matter of time, but it's good to know one of my many reasons for living is coming back <3.
Aug 13, 2011 4:47 PM
Apr 2011
this is better news then my entire one month vacation multiplied by 48.746

why that number... because I can
Aug 13, 2011 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
jmal said:
AnnoKano said:
I don't understand why people are so enamoured with this show

Because - and sit down, this might come as a shock to you - your opinion of those things you think are done badly isn't necessarily shared by others!

Crazy, ain't it?

Indeed. But I was hoping that once those people had finished pointing out the obvious, they might then go on to explain what they like about it, offer some reflection on my criticisms of it or attempt to persuade me to give it another chance.

That is why I bothered to provide some criticisms of it in the first place; I am not interested in antagonising people for the sake of it, I am interested in finding out whether I should try and perceivere with it. It wouldn't be the first time I a show with a weak start has gone on to become something great.

So, now you've had the pleasure of explaining that everyone has their own opinion, perhaps you can tell me what your own opinion is.

This is an internet forum; they exist for discussion, and one of the things that makes discussion between people interesting is differences in opinion.

viral_hun said:

Actually, the first season is the worst one. But yep, I'm with jmal.

See?

This is actually interesting, because perhaps I am being too quick to dismiss Hidamari Sketch -I didn't mention this previously, but I read some of the manga a while back and found it started off fairly weak but improved as it went on- and it's possible the same is true of the anime.

I mentioned the characters too because if the show revolves around character comedy it may not be for me unless the cast shows some improvement, likewise with the comedy.

The production though is perhaps the worst I have ever seen (and I am not exaggerating) so if that improves that may help tremendously. Ultimately content is what matters of course, but I find myself less tolerant of shows that are poorly animated.

So, has anyone got anything useful or at least interesting to say in response to my criticism of the show?
Aug 13, 2011 6:41 PM

Aug 2008
I think more people will watch this because of madoka! XD
Aug 13, 2011 7:10 PM

Aug 2011
8RstuPId2Y said:
More moeshit. Just what this dying industry needs.
awesome so dont watch it no one care about your oppinion
this anime is made for japanese girls audience not for you anyway
Aug 13, 2011 7:10 PM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:
jmal said:
AnnoKano said:
I don't understand why people are so enamoured with this show

Because - and sit down, this might come as a shock to you - your opinion of those things you think are done badly isn't necessarily shared by others!

Crazy, ain't it?

Indeed. But I was hoping that once those people had finished pointing out the obvious, they might then go on to explain what they like about it, offer some reflection on my criticisms of it or attempt to persuade me to give it another chance.

Why? It is pretty obvious that you haven't finished the series, and obviously 'don't understand' why others like it. We have no reason to explain stuffs.
Aug 13, 2011 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
Best news of the week. Bring on the Miyako.
Aug 13, 2011 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
ringoo4 said:

Why? It is pretty obvious that you haven't finished the series, and obviously 'don't understand' why others like it. We have no reason to explain stuffs.

I don't understand why people like it, which is why I am keen to find out why people like it. While I admit the fact that I have yet to be impressed with it so far means I am unlikely to change my mind, it's certainly not impossible. And as I have mentioned already, I am curious to know whether things improve late on. And even if I don't change my mind, that does not mean there is nothing to be gained through the discourse

If you're saying they don't improve, or better yet don't change much, then thats fair enough. But since I have not watched the whole series, there is no way for me to know for sure.

jmal said:

When you start off with, essentially, "I don't know why people like this shit" the chances that you're actually serious about giving it another honest try are virtually zero.

Well I admit that my first comment was rather blunt, but I was, and still remain entirely serious about finding out if it is worth sticking with it.

jmal said:
If you find the first season so utterly worthless there is no chance you'll like the rest, and I'm not going to waste my time concocting a detailed reply laying out everything I like so much about it.

Is that because you don't have much confidence in Hidamari Sketch's quality, or because you are misinterpreting my intentions here or how much I dislike the show?

jmal said:
I know better than that. Especially to someone on MAL, of all places.

If you have so little faith in the MAL community, why are you still here?

You seem to think that I am trying to troll you. I can understand why my first post would lead you to think that, and so I tried to adress that in the second post:

AnnoKano said:

This is actually interesting, because perhaps I am being too quick to dismiss Hidamari Sketch -I didn't mention this previously, but I read some of the manga a while back and found it started off fairly weak but improved as it went on- and it's possible the same is true of the anime.

I mentioned the characters too because if the show revolves around character comedy it may not be for me unless the cast shows some improvement, likewise with the comedy.

The production though is perhaps the worst I have ever seen (and I am not exaggerating) so if that improves that may help tremendously. Ultimately content is what matters of course, but I find myself less tolerant of shows that are poorly animated.

So, has anyone got anything useful or at least interesting to say in response to my criticism of the show?

I recognised that my first post may have come across as unduly harsh, which is why I bothered to explain my opinion on it in greater detail and with more general criticisms. However, it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Come on now guys, let's hear it.
Aug 13, 2011 8:45 PM

Jun 2010
I also want to know why people like this. I haven't seen it at all and I don't know how good it is. I already gathered from an earlier post that the first season is the worst out of the three, how good are the other two and how much better are they?
Aug 13, 2011 8:49 PM
Nov 2010
Bern said:
Another anime where I haven't watched the first season. Now I have to hurry.

I'm in the same situation. It seems like a good show though. I really wanna watch it.
Aug 13, 2011 8:53 PM

Aug 2008
AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:

I don't understand why people like it, which is why I am keen to find out why people like it. While I admit the fact that I have yet to be impressed with it so far means I am unlikely to change my mind, it's certainly not impossible. And as I have mentioned already, I am curious to know whether things improve late on. And even if I don't change my mind, that does not mean there is nothing to be gained through the discourse

If you're saying they don't improve, or better yet don't change much, then thats fair enough. But since I have not watched the whole series, there is no way for me to know for sure.

jmal said:

When you start off with, essentially, "I don't know why people like this shit" the chances that you're actually serious about giving it another honest try are virtually zero.

Well I admit that my first comment was rather blunt, but I was, and still remain entirely serious about finding out if it is worth sticking with it.

jmal said:
If you find the first season so utterly worthless there is no chance you'll like the rest, and I'm not going to waste my time concocting a detailed reply laying out everything I like so much about it.

Is that because you don't have much confidence in Hidamari Sketch's quality, or because you are misinterpreting my intentions here or how much I dislike the show?

jmal said:
I know better than that. Especially to someone on MAL, of all places.

If you have so little faith in the MAL community, why are you still here?

You seem to think that I am trying to troll you. I can understand why my first post would lead you to think that, and so I tried to adress that in the second post:

AnnoKano said:

I recognised that my first post may have come across as unduly harsh, which is why I bothered to explain my opinion on it in greater detail and with more general criticisms. However, it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Come on now guys, let's hear it.

If you're so "serious" about giving this show another shot, then you'd be finishing watching whatever season you're on instead of pestering people here for their opinions. Honestly, Hidamari Sketch is one of those shows that people watch because they love the relaxing atmosphere. Some people don't like those kind of shows, and it seems like you're one of them. No, Hidamari does not have any of those serious twists, unlike Madoka Magika, so if you don't enjoy what you're seeing right now, you're not going to like Hidamari Sketch. Hidamari is faithful to the genre it's in, meaning that people who love it will continue to watch it, and people who don't like it will never come to like it.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 13, 2011 9:06 PM
Sep 2008
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Aug 13, 2011 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
guyklc said:
If you're so "serious" about giving this show another shot, then you'd be finishing watching whatever season you're on instead of pestering people here for their opinions. Honestly, Hidamari Sketch is one of those shows that people watch because they love the relaxing atmosphere. Some people don't like those kind of shows, and it seems like you're one of them. No, Hidamari does not have any of those serious twists, unlike Madoka Magika, so if you don't enjoy what you're seeing right now, you're not going to like Hidamari Sketch. Hidamari is faithful to the genre it's in, meaning that people who love it will continue to watch it, and people who don't like it will never come to like it.

Well to be fair I am only pestering people for their opinions because they refused to give me them the first time around. They have questioned my legitimacy and I am trying to demonstrate that I am entirely serious.

Thank you for taking the time to actually respond though.

On the one hand, I have to say I don't find Hidamari Sketch to be 'relaxing' as you put it. It seems to me to be more like a comedy slice of life.

What's more, suggesting that it just isn't my genre couldn't be further from the truth. Slice of life is probably my favourite genre, and I am especially keen on those with a pleasant vibe. When I think of 'relaxing' though, I think of titles like Kamichu!, Natsu no Sora, Only Yesterday, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikiou...

I'm not sure about your Madoka comparison, but it doesn't need to change dramatically to improve.
Aug 13, 2011 9:53 PM
Oct 2010
AnnoKano said:
guyklc said:

Well to be fair I am only pestering people for their opinions because they refused to give me them the first time around. They have questioned my legitimacy and I am trying to demonstrate that I am entirely serious.

Thank you for taking the time to actually respond though.

On the one hand, I have to say I don't find Hidamari Sketch to be 'relaxing' as you put it. It seems to me to be more like a comedy slice of life.

What's more, suggesting that it just isn't my genre couldn't be further from the truth. Slice of life is probably my favourite genre, and I am especially keen on those with a pleasant vibe. When I think of 'relaxing' though, I think of titles like Kamichu!, Natsu no Sora, Only Yesterday, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikiou...

I'm not sure about your Madoka comparison, but it doesn't need to change dramatically to improve.

I honestly do not understand why you people are so hostile towards Anno. He did not like what he saw of Hidamari Sketch and asked if it improves and in what way in a thread that shows up on page 1 of MAL (which is why his question is here instead of some other place, for those of you who seem to be mystified by the fact).

As for my opinion: indeed, I second the suggestion that the first season of Hidamari Sketch is by far the weakest; however, the improvement in subsequent seasons mainly concerns how interesting the various events are. The presentation is the same, more or less, and this may be a big factor of why you dislike it. Shaft usually focuses on various stylistic innovations and convoluted visual sequences, sometimes sacrificing pacing and making the scenes appear jumbled. Some people like this style, some don't. I myself find Shaft's kaleidoscopic visuals in this anime to be somewhat tiresome, and would prefer a more straightforward, simpler presentation. These innovations and the idiosyncratic episode direction may be why you find its 'aura' so different to that of the manga (it is).

So in conclusion, take a look at some episodes and ask yourself: is it the presentation/visuals/direction that drives me away from this anime? If yes, I can safely say they do not change in subsequent seasons (perhaps become less cumbersome, for me, but that may be because I got used to them!).

Personally I like the series and am looking forward to new stories of our girls. They are nice characters in a charming little series, I think.
Aug 13, 2011 10:03 PM

Nov 2010
Hidamari desu.
Aug 13, 2011 11:24 PM

Jan 2010
Huh, might have to try this series some time. It looks kind of fun, though I think there are probably too many of these "four high school girls doing random stuff" shows.
But hey, this one has them as artists! And they have wide heads.
Aug 14, 2011 12:29 AM

Apr 2007
YESSSSS!!!
It seems that my hopes weren't for nothing :)
Aug 14, 2011 2:47 AM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:

no no no no, that's not what I am saying. What I was emphasising was your word choice, easy enough to become a bait for fans. You said 'I don't understand why everyone like it'. That's determinism + generalisation.
Aug 14, 2011 3:23 AM

Sep 2008
AnnoKano said:
I don't understand why people like it, which is why I am keen to find out why people like it.

When you start thinking about why you like something, it usually means you don't like it enough. You can really enjoy something only when you don't bother to think of a reason you like it. That was my policy for years already, and it's because of that I'm still able to watch and enjoy anime. I like Hidamari, but I can't tell you why. I like many other shows but I can't tell why either. To simply "like" something is sufficient.
Aug 14, 2011 6:37 AM

Nov 2010
Yay! More iyashikei goodness.

Rewatching Hoshimittsu for the hell of it.
H.L. Mencken said:
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Aug 14, 2011 6:48 AM

Mar 2008
YES!
Aug 14, 2011 8:07 AM
Dec 2007
Yay! :)
Aug 14, 2011 12:33 PM

May 2008
Hidamari's where it's at.

The waiting game begins...
Aug 14, 2011 5:05 PM

Jul 2009
All the good nutbladder jokes have already been made, but whatever. Best anime of 2012 right here.
Aug 14, 2011 5:56 PM
Dec 2009
OMG! I'm looking forward to it! :3
Aug 15, 2011 10:36 AM

Jun 2009
Metty said:
YES YES YES, I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, YES!

pretty much
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Aug 15, 2011 2:21 PM

Jul 2007
Third season was boring, this will probably be worse.
Aug 15, 2011 6:17 PM

Mar 2008
I wish I'd continue to watch the 2nd season already.. these wide faces are too nice to look at.
Aug 15, 2011 11:22 PM

Jul 2011
this show aint that bad, imo its probably better than the stuff being released these days

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Aug 16, 2011 9:16 AM

Oct 2008
Yay!

Time to rewatch the first three seasons again. And read manga.

Yes!
Aug 16, 2011 11:09 AM

Nov 2008
Fourth Season of Hidamari Sketch Announced

Aug 18, 2011 7:44 AM

Aug 2009
YAAY! I've been waiting so long for this.
finally time for some more slice of life comedy :)
Aug 18, 2011 1:42 PM
Aug 2008
I am personally looking forward to the sixth volume of the manga and the fourth season + specials of the anime being released over here, whenever that'll be.

I know I've said it before, but my main criticism of season 1 -- and I still do like season 1 -- is its propensity for talking too much about things that, from their perspective, already happened (reminiscing about making the nameplates, talking about the shrine visit, and so on), but which we don't see for a random number of episodes.

x 365 reduces that quite a bit, thankfully, and Hoshi Mittsu puts all the events of the new year in order, while placing events of the previous year and the year before in different spots, but in a way that makes sense. Yuno gets a call from a graduate she met the previous year, so we get part of an episode where we see them meet; a part-episode where we see the day Natsume met Sae is followed by one where maybe there's the beginnings of a reconciliation; and so on.

I have to say, I like the various visual elements, the voices, most of the comedic elements, and the sweet moments.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Aug 31, 2011 8:11 PM

Aug 2007
woohoo HAPPY !! i was waiting for this to be announced ^_^ , Hidamari Sketch is ALWAYS welcome =] , i so can't wait !!
Sep 2, 2011 10:37 AM

Dec 2008
wew!
Sep 8, 2011 12:21 AM
Apr 2011
This is gona be epic.
Oct 10, 2011 10:10 PM

Mar 2009
Awesome. :D --- Randy
Oct 12, 2011 1:21 PM
Nov 2010
Is it me, or does the blue-haired girl look a LOT like Sayaka from Madoka Magica?

Would make sense. The artist of Hidamari Sketch did the character design.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

58 by bibyy »»
16 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 5 hours ago

1 by deg »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.