Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No. 6
Available on Manga Store
New
What is dogkeeper's gender?
Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM

Feb 2009
Just curious to see what the majority of other people think, twice CR has subbed dogkeeper as "he", once in ep 4 and once in ep 6.

When I first saw it I assumed girl, but looking again at its mannerisms/looks it could easily be either, I'm leaning boy at the moment. As far as I know the novels are ambiguous also.
weeabooweeabooAug 12, 2011 1:38 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2011 4:31 PM

Aug 2010
Girl, cause I had that feeling she was a girl throughout the novel xD

Something I wrote in the other thread:

Attention: novel spoiler

Aug 13, 2011 1:02 AM

Nov 2010
I think Inukashi is a girl...she just looks like a girl to me. I like to think of her as a tomboy maybe. :)

EDIT: Yeah, I just remembered the subs I'm watching did refer to her as 'he'...I think it was just a mistake honestly. xD
DiosApollosAug 15, 2011 1:18 AM
~ Ciel fan forever ~

Aug 13, 2011 3:33 AM

Dec 2007
lolz tbh I think it could go either way..but Im currently leanin towards Inukashi bein a girl..tho i have been wrong before.. xD
Aug 13, 2011 8:44 AM

Oct 2008
I'm pretty sure the dogkeeper is a guy
Aug 13, 2011 12:59 PM

Sep 2009
Definitely going with girl.
Aug 13, 2011 2:36 PM

May 2009
I always thought that she's a girl, but I'm not sure anymore. There seems to be something masculine about her...
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Aug 13, 2011 2:38 PM

Jul 2010
I thought she was just a tough chick. Not every girl goes "uguuu" and "gaoo" every ten seconds.
Aug 13, 2011 3:36 PM

May 2008
In the anime she is drawn with female features... particularly slender limbs and costuming which would be odd if a male were to have her history. I have always considered her a (female) tomboy character. I know that female voice actors often voice male characters, but usually only younger ones.... so if she turns out to be a he for some reason then it's at least a deliberate trap.

Most of the features used by the animators are androgynous -- for example both genders have pronounced collar bones, similar eye shape and underlashes, and other facial features... at least with the protagonists, but they likely made the male protagonists more feminine purposefully.

I am a banana.
Aug 13, 2011 4:22 PM

Apr 2009
Having my doubts too. In Episode 6 there's a moment where Shion refers to Dogkeeper as 'He'
Yet of course, it could've just been an error in the subs.

EDIT: Also, anybody knows Envy, from FMA? His voice was female's, his clothing wasn't exactly... 'manly'... yet, the character was male.
amyiceeyesAug 13, 2011 5:32 PM

Aug 13, 2011 6:31 PM

May 2010
I feel that dogkeeper being a girl, just feels right to me.
True, I was blindsided by Envy, and Chrona fucks with my head still.

But the subs don't prove anything, it's only the CR subs that've done that right, other languages have gone for a female pronoun, and I guess the Japanese has none.

I want dogkeeper to be a girl though.
Aug 15, 2011 3:05 AM

Jul 2007
first, i saw the Dogkeeper as a girl, because of the feminine face and slender body.. but i don't like the Dogkeeper's attitute and character, too harsh and boyish...

so, when the issue gender starts to come out, i thought, eh? emm... maybe she is a he, plus the flat chest.. so, i think i would like him to be he.. :D
Aug 15, 2011 3:22 AM

Jun 2011
They say male...must be male...

(but def seems like a chick. xD)
Aug 15, 2011 7:35 AM

Dec 2010
Well I hope Dogkeeper is a girl. Looks like one...just a bit tomboy-ish.

Aug 15, 2011 11:55 AM
Aug 2011
He's obviously a guy... he talks saying ''ore''.. masculine version of ''I''.
Nobody noticed that?? I could tell from the first time he started to talk...
Aug 15, 2011 12:24 PM

Feb 2009
Ninoyari said:

That's not really proof of anything though, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bokukko
Aug 15, 2011 6:32 PM

Dec 2010
Ninoyari said:

A lot of girls in anime use words meant for boys, including "Ore".

Aug 16, 2011 2:26 PM

Aug 2008
DesolateOne said:
Ninoyari said:

No they don't. Ore unlike boku is a male only personal pronoun and it's not commonly used in anime at all.
Aug 17, 2011 10:48 AM

Dec 2009
I always thought the Dog Keeper was a girl but in the last episode she was referred to as a he.
Aug 17, 2011 12:05 PM
Mar 2011
as the replies goes it seems to be that the people who o think he is a mal and female are about half half. but the poll results say differently. lawls just look at his chest.
Aug 17, 2011 1:04 PM
Dec 2007
Rei-chan said:
DesolateOne said:
Ninoyari said:

No they don't. Ore unlike boku is a male only personal pronoun and it's not commonly used in anime at all.
Tomboyish chicks do, especially the ones with ambiguous sexuality.

Aug 19, 2011 9:28 AM
May 2009
T3rm1n4t0r2 said:
as the replies goes it seems to be that the people who o think he is a mal and female are about half half. but the poll results say differently. lawls just look at his chest.

And what's that supposed to mean? Not every girl has a ridiculously oversized chest. If anyone believes that they're an idiot and they've probably been watching too much crappy fanservice shows. Also there are girls who prefer to disguise their gender and use bindings to cover their chest. Given where Dogkeeper lives I wouldn't be suprised if she was a girl who decided to masquerade as a male to fend off unwanted attention, along with her dogs to help.

Homestuck said:
I thought she was just a tough chick. Not every girl goes "uguuu" and "gaoo" every ten seconds.

This. Too many rigid gender definitions going on in this thread.
Aug 19, 2011 10:05 AM

Feb 2010
Looks like a girl, acts like a guy, but sometimes acts sensitive like a girl.
The confusing thing to me is that some guys can look like girls, some girls do act like guys, and guys can be sensitive like a girl.

Something tells me that he's a guy. I don't know.
Maybe it's something about when he's with Nezumi...like, the atmosphere kind of suggests to me he's a guy. I don't know.
tells me that if Dogkeeper was a girl then then...in some way Nezumi would treat him differently?
Oh wow, if I go any further I would kind of make Nezumi sound like he's a sexist,
personally I think that he doesn't give a damn whether Dogkeeper's a girl or a boy.
Aug 19, 2011 12:51 PM

Dec 2008
I believe the Dog Keeper is female. We have to remember that she was raised by dogs, so she's not going to have the typical female characteristics. She's a product of her upbringing and environment, so although she has masculine traits and tendencies, she is without a doubt (imo) female.
Aug 20, 2011 7:32 AM
Jun 2009
As much as I like trap bishies I have to say that I'm pretty sure it's a girl.
Aug 20, 2011 7:34 AM

Aug 2010
I'm just going to wait and hopefully they will reveal whether or not he/she is actually a male/female.
Aug 20, 2011 11:36 AM

Sep 2009
I think she's a girl.. =)
Not every Girl have to be "kawaii and moe" and stuff :DD
I really like her somehow =)
She's not a princess nor some annoying chick :DD

Sep 3, 2011 4:25 PM

Aug 2011
Girl. It should be obvious by now after the last episode with the shoulder touching and all but people still seem confused.

And here is my proof ^__^

Though this may turn out to just be some random woman with the exact skin color and shirt as Inukashi, but we'll see.
Sep 3, 2011 4:32 PM

Sep 2010
I don't know I want to say female....
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 3, 2011 4:54 PM

Feb 2009
SilverDemon said:
Girl. It should be obvious by now after the last episode with the shoulder touching and all but people still seem confused.

And here is my proof ^__^

Though this may turn out to just be some random woman with the exact skin color and shirt as Inukashi, but we'll see.

Ya, the last ep all but confirmed she's a girl in my eyes.

I'm not seeing how this screenshot is proof though.
Sep 3, 2011 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
Waaah? I don't understand what that screen shot has to do with the Inukashi's gender O_o''' Sion asked dog to bring baby to the Inukashi so duuuuh XD !
Sep 4, 2011 10:14 AM

Aug 2011
weeabooweeaboo said:

I'm not seeing how this screenshot is proof though.

Because it's most likely Inukashi in the shot(same skin tone, same color and style shirt) and you can see cleavage.
Sep 6, 2011 1:09 PM

May 2010
I seriously thought Dogkeeper was a guy
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 6, 2011 2:12 PM

Jun 2009
DesolateOne said:
Well I hope Dogkeeper is a girl. Looks like one...just a bit tomboy-ish.

yup same here i think also shes female
Sep 7, 2011 11:08 AM
Jan 2011
A girl. In episode 9 after they tie up the guy that is lured in and dog keeper leans on sion and sion exclaims "You'r a ...." with a surprised look. She hides her gender becasue of the risk woman run under such a rough world and to show defensive strength. Her motherly side is shown in her devotion to dogs she raises from puppies.
Sep 8, 2011 11:58 AM
Jul 2011
just saw ep 10--the person in the screenshot is inukashi.

so yeah.

(ANIME) INUKASHI HAS BOOBIES. either that or a nasty chest tumor. D:
jjoymSep 10, 2011 11:55 AM
Sep 8, 2011 1:25 PM

Jun 2009
Bit of trivia for you, the Seiyuu voicing inukashi ONLY does female roles.
Sep 8, 2011 1:33 PM
Sep 2009
Hmm I always thought he's a guy ^_^
Sep 10, 2011 10:54 AM

Apr 2010
Inukashi's gender is left largely ambiguous in all adaptions of No. 6. However the novel had a scene where Sion hugged Inukashi and thought how Inukashi's body felt like Safu's. I think that Inukashi is really a girl, but is pretending to be a guy so anyone who meets Inukashi thinks she's a guy.
Sep 10, 2011 1:37 PM

Jun 2011
I think it's a female... at first I thought and I always had that feeling... And when that guy licked him/her, he/she was really bothered, and than Sion said something like: 'Inukashi, you are...' and I had a feeling he was going to say 'a girl' xD I don't know why xD
Plus, in the scene with the baby, he/she really seemed like a girl xD
But we can't know for sure xD
Sep 10, 2011 6:34 PM

Aug 2010
Heiwajima_Mayu said:
I think it's a female... at first I thought and I always had that feeling... And when that guy licked him/her, he/she was really bothered, and than Sion said something like: 'Inukashi, you are...' and I had a feeling he was going to say 'a girl' xD I don't know why xD
Plus, in the scene with the baby, he/she really seemed like a girl xD
But we can't know for sure xD

Yup, during that scene with the baby, when she holds him, you can see her cleavage.
Sep 11, 2011 7:14 AM

Oct 2009
The dogkeeper is female.

It makes it even more obvious with the baby scene, and how she reacts to being called "Mama"

and ofcourse this:
SoraKuro said:

Yup, during that scene with the baby, when she holds him, you can see her cleavage.
Sep 15, 2011 9:44 AM

Nov 2007
Female I think... A tomboyish female. (or Just a guy who looks like a girl?)

I don't know but I still mostly think Inukashi is a tomboyish female.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 16, 2011 12:14 PM
Nov 2010
I think Dogkeeper is a girl, who wants to be looked apon as a boy.

(In the anime, with the baby scene, where she's called "Mama", and when Sion hugs her he can feel it, I think.)

Besides... you can see it in some angles...
Sep 16, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2011
in episode 9 after the dogkeeper was used to seduce that man...she/he was washing herself when she had a moment with Shion. When shion touched her...he realised something and said 'You're a..." then they were interrupted before he could finish the sentance.

what was he going to say?! i don't get that part :/

was that the moment when shion realised she was a he or something? or does it has a completely different meaning?

EDIT: oh i just noticed that also in that scene (when the dogkeeper snapped at the politician), the politician says "what is this?", and then the pimp (can't remember his name right now) says "a young girl doesn't look much different from a boy"

That makes it pretty clear that the dogkeeper is a boy, i recon :/
pennyiscuteSep 16, 2011 9:44 PM
Sep 19, 2011 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
my first impression was that she/he was a girl, but that was purely because of the long hair. after a while, i changed my mind and thought, hmm, maybe its a guy. but then all the hints seemed to point towards girl, such as shion's "you're a...!" - i cant see that sentence ending any other way than "girl".

Then again, i dont believe that any girl could have a chest quite that flat - its just biology. on the other hand, she might be a prepubescent girl...? I cant remember if we're given his/her age.

well, we might have to rely on some Word of God eventually coming out about this. alternatively, it may be up to us to just decide for ourselves what we want to think xD
Sep 19, 2011 3:09 PM

Aug 2011
In episode 9 I’m sure I remember Rikiga saying that young girls and boys are hard to tell apart when the person in the wig was revealed to be Inukashi. (Inukashi was disguised as a girl; therefore they assume that Inukashi is ‘male’ and easily mistaken for a girl the due to their young age). Therefore the cast (including Sion) assume that Inukashi is male. When Sion makes a surprised comment about what can only be Inukashi‘s gender then it’s fair to assume that Sion finds out that his assumption is false. As he assumed Inukashi to be male, Inukashi must therefore be a female.

Besides, I can’t see Sion knowingly putting a young girl within reach of a pervy old man, even if there’s help nearby. Of course we can’t forget Inukashi’s outraged reaction which would be pretty typical of an ‘empowered’ young girl being made to feel helpless. Also, there’s that scene with the baby when Inukashi has an embarrassed fit because it thinks she’s his mother. I think Inukashi’s gender was the series worst kept secret until Sion’s revelation.

Of course, with the BL element of the show, a more comical interpretation could be that Inukashi is the only straight male member of the cast and his reaction to the informant’s actions was because he’s highly homophobic. Sion’s revelation in that case would be “Inukashi, you’re actually straight!”
Sep 20, 2011 7:55 PM
Sep 2011
hey im up to date on the anime ( wich lol didnt take long) and i remember when sion said "why is he so angry" or something like that when Rat spoke of dogkeepers mother. then a few episodes later. during a plan that rat the bald guy and dogkeeper made some weird pedo NO.6 offical licked dogkeeper and dogkeeper freaked out afterwards when sion was holding dogkeeper he touched her shoulder and said "Your a ......" .....now im just assuming here but common sense says that sion felt how soft dogkeeper was and realized he was a she...im not saying that girls are soft or any thing please dont take offence im learning about medicine and anatomy at a colledge level so its brought to my attention that most women/female/girls have less upper body muscle length then men i dont know why, blame evolution/God but it is so. this is why the female species is so soft to the touch i belive it has something to do with the ammount of testosterone wemon have as apposed to the male species

lol quite frankly its kinnda nice it makes them comfertable to hold lol
Sep 20, 2011 7:57 PM

Apr 2010
a girl though i do agree that inukashi seems to have been left pretty ambigous as to their gender, on a side.... she's probably my favorite character in the show...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 20, 2011 9:42 PM

May 2011
Were we supposed to think Dogkeeper was a dude at first? o.0

...Whoops.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No.6 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

432 by Tacticianrt »»
Mar 25, 10:03 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 11, 2011

166 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 28, 2011

174 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 20, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 21, 2011

120 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » No.6 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 14, 2011

161 by SouthRzVa »»
Oct 17, 2023 2:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.