Forum Settings
Forums

VA Hirano Aya Quits Her Management Office and Closes Official Fan Club [Update Aug 21]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 11, 2013 10:21 PM

May 2012
hentai_proxy said:
A little Q&A to help lighten the mood in the thread a bit.

Q: What is Hirano Aya's favorite time signature?
A: 3/4.

Q: How many Ayas does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three. One to fuck the guitarist, one to fuck the other guitarist and one to fuck the drummer while the bassist is changing the light bulb.

Q: Why did the drummer cross the bedroom?
A: To get to her other side.

Q: Why did Aya attend the Harlem festival?
A: Because she couldn't pronounce the l.

Q: What did the bassist's little sister say when Aya called?
A: Kyon-kun, denwa.

:) LOL Did you make them? :) LOL @ 2 and 4.
Apr 11, 2013 10:46 PM

Jul 2008
symbv said:
Defiance said:
symbv said:
^ Or to trash the mood by making unfunny jokes that are more sarcastic and mean character assassination than light-hearted and innocuous humor.
In all fairness, I thought the second question was pretty funny.
Funny if you forget the character assassination meanness of the joke. Imagine you somehow acquired a reputation as a sex-crazed stud on internet and you were made the subject of those Q&A's.
Ok, time to knock you down a few pegs here.

First off, she went into the idol business knowing who she was pandering to. Creeps who have an unrealistic view on virginity and innocence. I don't like these people, but that's who she was trying to make a buck off of with all her albums, voice acting, etc.

Second, even if she was a regular singer for a band, her behavior was STILL unacceptable. She was PLACED in that band by her agency, those band members are her coworkers. Anyone who slept around the office is bound to be criticized at any level of society.

Lastly, if you are public figure, you are up for public scrutiny. Period. Especially by long time fans of her work with anime who are watching her shed her anime career for an entirely different thing. Not to mention her reportedly scathing attitude towards said anime fans/otaku that are responsible for her current rise to fame in the first place. Criticizing those who you made a profit off of for so long really puts a sour taste in people's mouths.

EDIT:changed the wording a little.
DefianceApr 11, 2013 10:50 PM
Apr 11, 2013 11:07 PM

Sep 2012
Defiance said:
First off, she went into the idol business knowing who she was pandering to. Creeps who have an unrealistic view on virginity and innocence. I don't like these people, but that's who she was trying to make a buck off of with all her albums, voice acting, etc.
Well how does this justify putting her in some sarcastic Q&A joke?

Defiance said:
Second, even if she was a regular singer for a band, her behavior was STILL unacceptable. She was PLACED in that band by her agency, those band members are her coworkers. Anyone who slept around the office is bound to be criticized at any level of society.
Well you are taking the report of the tabloid at face value. As I said before, there are also reports that contradicts the "she sleeps around all the band members" report but apparently only the most sensational one got any big circulation because, well, it is sensational. Besides, in a pop and rock scene, sleeping around is not really that unheard of. I am not condoning this behavior, but even if she did it singling out her is really hypocritical and unfair. Why do we not see other pop singers criticized as harshly as her or even at all?

Defiance said:
Lastly, if you are public figure, you are up for public scrutiny. Period.
The flip of this argument is, if you are public figure you are liable to target of slanders and public lynching. Just because you are a public figure it does not mean that you are fair game to suffer the indignity of being put at every mean and base jokes and that the whole blame is on the public figure not on the people who made those jokes or laugh along with them.

Defiance said:
Especially by long time fans of her work with anime who are watching her shed her anime career for an entirely different thing. Not to mention her reportedly scathing attitude towards said anime fans/otaku that are responsible for her current rise to fame in the first place. Criticizing those who you made a profit off of for so long really puts a sour taste in people's mouths.
I do not have objection to her sometimes questionable attitude towards anime fans and how she could make comments that seem to offend them, but this does not mean that it is thus fine to go against her via a different route by lynching her as a sex-crazed slut. If you have issues with her comments regarding anime fans, criticize her on that ground instead of going ad hominem at her general character.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 11, 2013 11:28 PM

Jul 2008
I like how you are denying the fact that she slept with 3 out of the 4 bandmates as tabloid when multiple news sites reported that members of her agency confirmed it was the reason for her getting fired, even the three bandmates who slept with her were fired.

I believe she is up for all the internet lynching going on. The moment she decided to criticize fans was the moment she forfeited any sympathy from me. When you are in the business of just being popular and selling yourself(e.g. her voice and gravure pictures), turning on the very people who pay you to do it is simply biting the hand that feeds. Expecting fans not to be bitter and criticize her character is wishful thinking at best.
Apr 11, 2013 11:43 PM

Sep 2012
Defiance said:
I like how you are denying the fact that she slept with 3 out of the 4 bandmates as tabloid when multiple news sites reported that members of her agency confirmed it was the reason for her getting fired, even the three bandmates who slept with her were fired.
Fact? All I see are reports by one tabloid magazine with accounts that are contradicted by reports in other sources. My experience of reading reports by tabloids in Japan (perhaps other countries as well) is that there are half-truth and total falsehood there, and very often even a report gets some facts right embellishment, exaggeration, distortion of accounts and addition of "facts" are commonplace. I am not saying that she definitely did not sleep with any of the band member but saying everything in the report is "fact" just makes you look credulous and willing to believe because you want to.

Defiance said:
The moment she decided to criticize fans was the moment she forfeited any sympathy from me.
And I am telling you that just because you do not like her comments about fans, it does not mean that thus any kind of character assassination and mud slinging is now justified and warranted.
symbvApr 11, 2013 11:48 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 11, 2013 11:58 PM

Jul 2008
Really now? It's pretty interesting that Hirano sought no legal action against ANY organization that made or supported these claims, especially Bubka, who is the main proponent of the story. Is there even any proof that she herself(or her PR team for that matter) denies the allegations?

To my knowledge, what Bubka reported(in a nutshell) was that an insider from Lantis alleges that Hirano was fired due to sleeping with 3 of 4 bandmates and that the three bandmates were fired as well. Did any of the people that were supposedly fired deny any involvement? If so, I have heard NOTHING of it.

And btw, yes. The comments she made about fans are PLENTY of reason for people to assassinate her character because that was exactly what she did to them, insult them on a personal level.
DefianceApr 12, 2013 12:02 AM
Apr 12, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
Defiance said:
Really now? It's pretty interesting that Hirano sought no legal action against ANY organization that made or supported these claims, especially Bubka, who is the main proponent of the story. Is there even any proof that she herself(or her PR team for that matter) denies the allegations?
Well, even super-famous or important public figure like some media don or politicians would not make the mistake of launching litigation against tabloids and provide them with free marketing. Besides, Japan is known for being slow in its legal process and so often the cost and trouble is not worth it.

Defiance said:
To my knowledge, what Bubka reported(in a nutshell) was that an insider from Lantis alleges that Hirano was fired due to sleeping with 3 of 4 bandmates and that the three bandmates were fired as well. Did any of the people that were supposedly fired deny any involvement? If so, I have heard NOTHING of it.
There are reports that the insider may be someone who bears grunges against her. And as I said, there were accounts that contradict that story, including if there was actually "firing" at all.

Apr 12, 2013 12:16 AM

Jul 2008
symbv said:
Defiance said:
Well, even super-famous or important public figure like some media don or politicians would not make the mistake of launching litigation against tabloids and provide them with free marketing. Besides, Japan is known for being slow in its legal process and so often the cost and trouble is not worth it.

Defiance said:
There are reports that the insider may be someone who bears grunges against her. And as I said, there were accounts that contradict that story, including if there was actually "firing" at all.
So what you are trying to say is no, Hirano never even denied the accusations lol. At least not publicly anyways.
Apr 12, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2012
Defiance said:
So what you are trying to say is no, Hirano never denied the accusations lol. At least not publicly anyways.
And that is what 99% of the victims of the tabloid reports do, and this includes even stories that are proved to be absolutely false later. And this makes sense because to acknowledge such report is basically free marketing for the tabloid.

Apr 12, 2013 12:26 AM

Jul 2008
symbv said:
Defiance said:
So what you are trying to say is no, Hirano never denied the accusations lol. At least not publicly anyways.
And that is what 99% of the victims of the tabloid reports do, and this includes even stories that are proved to be absolutely false later. And this makes sense because to acknowledge such report is basically free marketing for the tabloid.
Yet here we stand two years later with her anime career in shambles. I guess we've seen how that strategy has worked out.
Apr 12, 2013 9:05 AM
Oct 2010
Ummm, wow. For your information, symbv, I like Hirano Aya very much and I do not think bad at all about her doing what she did. I do think she made a blunder by having too much faith in otaku and the tolerance of agencies, but my Q&A was never meant to be spiteful. On the contrary, I got completely ridiculous flames from people who derided her in the recent Casual Discussion thread for telling them to chill out. And now I get the same treatment from you. Sigh.
Apr 12, 2013 9:43 AM
Oct 2010
jmal said:
...Guys. This happened two years ago. It's old news. At what point can we just move on?

If you like Hirano Aya, you can still hear her here and there, but it's obvious she won't be a star seiyuu again any time soon, or likely ever, so give it up. Move on!
If you hate Hirano Aya, well then congrats, you don't need to hear her nearly as often anymore, but two years of schadenfreude should be quite adequate for all but the most pathologically obsessive people. Move on!

Better question, at what point does a thread just need to be locked? Posters are going to necro this thread every few months for the next five years if we let them. And nothing interesting or new or relevant will ever be added.

I don't think the thread should be closed; on the contrary, since both you and symbv have clarified many aspects of the story, I think it is best to redirect people to this thread where many facts can be found, rather than having them spawn new threads a la that one in CD. I may be wrong, though; it is up to the moderators.
Apr 12, 2013 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
On the contrary, I got completely ridiculous flames from people who derided her in the recent Casual Discussion thread for telling them to chill out. And now I get the same treatment from you. Sigh.
If you like her then perhaps you should give some thought at the contents of those jokes. Basically those jokes are based on the premise that she is a slut and the tabloid got everything right about her. Even if you did not mean to be spiteful, your jokes only serve to further the image of her being a slut (which as I said we are not actually certain that the tabloid really provided accurate report). Didn't you notice that everyone who responded positively to your jokes are those who dislike her intensely?

Apr 12, 2013 10:02 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
On the contrary, I got completely ridiculous flames from people who derided her in the recent Casual Discussion thread for telling them to chill out. And now I get the same treatment from you. Sigh.
If you like her then perhaps you should give some thought at the contents of those jokes. Basically those jokes are based on the premise that she is a slut and the tabloid got everything right about her. Even if you did not mean to be spiteful, your jokes only serve to further the image of her being a slut (which as I said we are not actually certain that the tabloid really provided accurate report). Didn't you notice that everyone who responded positively to your jokes are those who dislike her intensely?

They are premised on the fact that she had sex with her coworkers, nothing more or less. The premise is then taken and caricatured in the joke. From British self deprecating humor to cartoonists' caricatures, exaggeration, stereotyping and hyperbole is a common theme in jokes. Are all these to be condemned? Are they all meant to libel and 'assassinate characters'? As for the people who like the joke, there is at least one person who likes both Aya and the jokes; in any case, I think liking the joke or not is more relevant to your sense of humor rather than to your opinion on Aya's actions. I can make blonde jokes, that does not mean I think blondes are stupid or I dislike them.
Apr 12, 2013 10:10 AM
Oct 2010
jmal said:
hentai_proxy said:
I don't think the thread should be closed; on the contrary, since both you and symbv have clarified many aspects of the story, I think it is best to redirect people to this thread where many facts can be found, rather than having them spawn new threads a la that one in CD. I may be wrong, though; it is up to the moderators.

Problem with huge threads is that nobody is going to read these 13 pages of reactions to find a handful of informative posts/clarifications and even if they did they'd probably be more confused than if they hadn't...

Agreed there; well, symbv has recently taken to swiftly linking to relevant parts of threads like this for the convenience of people who cannot be bothered to read (to his dismay, presumably). Still, relying on symbv's patience may be pushing it :) I wonder if updating the OP to include(and emphasize) the latest and most precise info in threads like this can help solve this problem.
Edit: I mean, updating it by editing in abridged the more informative comments as clarifications.
hentai_proxyApr 12, 2013 10:17 AM
Apr 12, 2013 10:17 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
They are premised on the fact that she had sex with her coworkers, nothing more or less.
So you also buy the allegation that she was slutting around then, as you said they are "facts". As I said time and again, we do not know how much of the tabloid report are "facts". She could have had sex with just one coworker which would make the premises of the joke incorrect already. Or she could have had none. We don't know for sure. And as I said before there are also contradictory reports which did not get circulation because they are not as sensational. So it is questionable that you can just take the tabloid report at face value and say they are "facts".

hentai_proxy said:
The premise is then taken and caricatured in the joke. From British self deprecating humor to cartoonists' caricatures, exaggeration, stereotyping and hyperbole is a common theme in jokes. Are all these to be condemned? Are they all meant to libel and 'assassinate characters'?
Now British tabloid is also notorious for their slanderous reporting and they are often condemned. If we are saying the tabloid report about her sex life cannot be taken at face value, then spreading jokes based on that is no better than those slandering seen in British tabloids. And in Britain we can often read news about people who have their personal and private life undermined and strained by this kind of slanders.

Blonde jokes are dumb, but at least it is directed against a large group of people not a single person.
symbvApr 12, 2013 10:21 AM

Apr 12, 2013 10:20 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
They are premised on the fact that she had sex with her coworkers, nothing more or less.
So you also buy the allegation that she was slutting around then, as you said they are "facts". As I said time and again, we do not know how much of the tabloid report are "facts". She could have had sex with just one coworker which would make the premises of the joke incorrect already. Or she could have had none. We don't know for sure. And as I said before there are also contradictory reports which did not get circulation because they are not as sensational. So it is questionable that you can just take the tabloid report at face value and say they are "facts".

hentai_proxy said:
The premise is then taken and caricatured in the joke. From British self deprecating humor to cartoonists' caricatures, exaggeration, stereotyping and hyperbole is a common theme in jokes. Are all these to be condemned? Are they all meant to libel and 'assassinate characters'?
Now British tabloid is also notorious for their slanderous reporting and they are often condemned. If we are saying the tabloid report about her sex life cannot be taken at face value, then spreading jokes based on that is no better than those slandering seen in British tabloids. And in Britain we can often read news about people who have their personal and private life undermined and strained by this kind of slanders.

Blonde jokes are dumb, but at least it is directed against a large group of people not to a single person.

For Christ's sake, I am not reporting, I am making a fucking joke! I don't care about the truth of the premise, I am taking a story and caricaturing it in a joke!
Apr 12, 2013 10:21 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
[For Christ's sake, I am not reporting, I am making a fucking joke! I don't care about the truth of the premise, I am taking a story and caricaturing it in a joke!
A joke based on a possibly false premise. How about substituting your name into that joke then if you don't care about the truth of the premise?

Besides for people who did not read about the original tabloid reports but only read your jokes, your jokes would still be understood to contain certain amount of truth in it, even if it may be, as you said, exaggerated. Now it is quite natural for those people to think that all these fucking around the guitarists are true after all which is why it got caricatured. And by this your jokes just serve similar function as those tabloid report.
symbvApr 12, 2013 10:28 AM

Apr 12, 2013 10:29 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
[For Christ's sake, I am not reporting, I am making a fucking joke! I don't care about the truth of the premise, I am taking a story and caricaturing it in a joke!
A joke based on a possibly false premise. How about substituting your name into that joke then if you don't care about the truth of the premise?

I do often joke about myself in real life, in fact I like self deprecating humor. If you are asking me to put my real name here, please understand that you are asking something very inappropriate. As for the truth of the premise, I do not see what it has to do with making a joke or not. You have a story, you make a joke out of it, people laugh or not, according to the quality of the joke.
Apr 12, 2013 10:33 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
Besides for people who did not read about the original tabloid reports but only read your jokes, your jokes would still be understood to contain certain amount of truth in it, even if it may be, as you said, exaggerated.

I am sorry, but if people who made jokes were held responsible when people took the jokes seriously and constructed opinions out of them, 90% of all comedians would be in jail. I am quite offended by the suggestion that I should refrain from making humor in case somebody takes it seriously and acts as if it is the truth.
Apr 12, 2013 10:40 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
I am sorry, but if people who made jokes were held responsible when people took the jokes seriously and constructed opinions out of them, 90% of all comedians would be in jail. I am quite offended by the suggestion that I should refrain from making humor in case somebody takes it seriously and acts as if it is the truth.
Well, comedians also need to be careful whether their jokes are based on something that at least has some element of truth, and particularly when it comes to private sex life, comedians walk a fine line. Some personalities are fine game like those who work in the glamor industry, sure, but most are not, and I am not sure if Hirano Aya belongs to the former group. Your basing a joke on premise with questionable truth at best makes it a joke of bad taste, at worst it is no better than slanderous reports in tabloid. Now there is no law forbidding those tabloids from making those slanderous reports and those tabloids are clearly not going to refrain from doing so. I guess this means that you can just follow their example and continue to make this kind of jokes. But then we all know in what regard those tabloids are being held by the public.

Apr 12, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
I do often joke about myself in real life, in fact I like self deprecating humor. If you are asking me to put my real name here, please understand that you are asking something very inappropriate.
Well, just imagine you are the subject of a "story" spread by some people that you are a sex maniac. OK, the story is false, but then some other people decide to base some jokes on that story and caricature it for "humor" purpose and spread it around the internet. What do you think? This is why I asked you to put your name there and give it a thought.

hentai_proxy said:

As for the truth of the premise, I do not see what it has to do with making a joke or not. You have a story, you make a joke out of it, people laugh or not, according to the quality of the joke.
Read above.

Apr 12, 2013 10:48 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
Well, comedians also need to be careful whether their jokes are based on something that at least has some element of truth, and particularly when it comes to private sex life, comedians walk a fine line. Some personalities are fine game like those who work in the glamor industry, sure, but most are not, and I am not sure if Hirano Aya belongs to the former group. Your basing a joke on premise with questionable truth at best makes it a joke of bad taste, at worst it is no better than slanderous reports in tabloid. Now there is no law forbidding those tabloids from making those slanderous reports and those tabloids are clearly not going to refrain from doing so. I guess this means that you can just follow their example and continue to make this kind of jokes. But then we all know in what regard those tabloids are being held by the public.

I guess we will have to disagree on the appropriateness of a joke based on a dubious story. In my view, it simply strips significance off the story and releases tensions, and that is how I intended the Q&A to be received. As usual with my posts, it had the opposite effect, for which I am sad. Of course, there are people who are offended by jokes they consider inappropriate or consider to be in bad taste, and I do not hold them (you) in blame.

However, I absolutely cannot accept your constant comparison between a joke and slanderous tabloid stories. It is extremely offensive, and highly inappropriate: jokes are meant to release tension in a story, as I said above, tabloid slanders are meant to create tension. Please reconsider.
Apr 12, 2013 10:52 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
However, I absolutely cannot accept your constant comparison between a joke and slanderous tabloid stories. It is extremely offensive, and highly inappropriate: jokes are meant to release tension in a story, as I said above, tabloid slanders are meant to create tension. Please reconsider.
A joke in itself is fine, but a joke based on a slanderous tabloid story would necessarily carry the same (dubious) worth of the tabloid. If the tabloid story is meant to create tension, what makes a joke that is based on it not create tension but just humor? I do not see how such delicate balance can easily be achieved, if at all.

Also a joke does not always release tension. Whether it releases tension depends on how the listener perceives it. For example many jokes are sarcasm. They may release tension for people who don't care about the target of the jokes or those who dislike it, but for those who care or for the target it often only builds tension. For a joke based on a slanderous tabloid story, for people who don't care about whether the story is true or not it may release tension, but for those who cares the nature of the story on which the joke is based on or what effect the joke may lead uninformed listeners to believe, it would not release tension.
symbvApr 12, 2013 10:59 AM

Apr 12, 2013 10:53 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
Well, just imagine you are the subject of a "story" spread by some people that you are a sex maniac. OK, the story is false, but then some other people decide to base some jokes on that story and caricature it for "humor" purpose and spread it around the internet. What do you think? This is why I asked you to put your name there and give it a thought.

This question is very simple to answer, because it has happened and in much worse effect: not on the internet, but in my professional life. And the answer is simple: I have very little respect for the people who take the joke seriously. The joke itself and the person who made it? Fine (in fact, more than fine, but there is no point mentioning more details).
Apr 12, 2013 10:54 AM

Mar 2013
Considering the seriousness of Aya Hirano's blunder and what it did to her career, I don't feel like it was an appropriate joke. I think anyone who was a fan of Aya Hirano would've taken it seriously :/
Apr 12, 2013 11:03 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
This question is very simple to answer, because it has happened and in much worse effect: not on the internet, but in my professional life. And the answer is simple: I have very little respect for the people who take the joke seriously. The joke itself and the person who made it? Fine (in fact, more than fine, but there is no point mentioning more details).
I see, because you are ok with yourself being a target of a joke based on a slanderous rumor about you, so you think everybody should follow your example to not take any joke seriously? Your sense of humor may know no depth, but in this case you should have the sense of humor to shrug off any comparison of your jokes to the jokes of those tabloid reports. While some people may take those tabloid reports as "facts", personally I have very little respect for the people who take those reports seriously.

Apr 12, 2013 11:13 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:

I see, because you are ok with yourself being a target of a joke based on a slanderous rumor about you, so you think everybody should follow your example to not take any joke seriously? Your sense of humor may know no depth, but in this case you should have the sense of humor to shrug off any comparison of your jokes to the jokes of those tabloid reports. While some people may take those tabloid reports as "facts", personally I have very little respect for the people who take those reports seriously.

You were not making a joke in comparing mine to tabloid reports, I don't see how my sense of humor should have prevented me from being offended about a dead serious allegation.

Agreed about people who take unverified reports seriously.
Apr 12, 2013 11:17 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
You were not making a joke in comparing mine to tabloid reports, I don't see how my sense of humor should have prevented me from being offended about a dead serious allegation.
Of course I am not making a joke, but my point is that if you claim that any joke should not be taken seriously, then perhaps we can also treat those tabloid reports as some jokes and not to be taken seriously. In which case, comparing your jokes to those tabloid reports should not be something that you should get upset about.

Apr 12, 2013 11:21 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
Of course I am not making a joke, but my point is that if you claim that any joke should not be taken seriously, then perhaps we can also treat those tabloid reports as some jokes and not to be taken seriously. In which case, comparing your jokes to those tabloid reports should not be something that you should get upset about.

"Perhaps we can also treat tabloid reports as some jokes"? How? I mean, they are not. They are written deceptively matter-of-factly and with malicious intent aiming for profit. They are not jokes.
Apr 12, 2013 11:25 AM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
"Perhaps we can also treat tabloid reports as some jokes"? How? I mean, they are not. They are written deceptively matter-of-factly and with malicious intent aiming for profit. They are not jokes.
How to tell? We have seen tabloids putting alien abduction and lake monster on front page. I mean your freewheeling attitude to jokes can sound dangerously close to those tabloid reports: Anything goes as long as it gets the circulation and truth of the premise be damned since it should not be taken seriously (tabloids often claim that readers take their story too seriously, which of course is a way for them to hide their slanderous intent as if to say since it should not be taken so seriously I can write anything I want).

Apr 12, 2013 11:30 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
hentai_proxy said:
How to tell? We have seen tabloids putting alien abduction and lake monster on front page. I mean your freewheeling attitude to jokes can sound dangerously close to those tabloid reports: Anything goes as long as it gets the circulation and truth of the premise be damned since it should not be taken seriously (tabloids often claim that readers take their story too seriously, which of course is a way for them to hide their slanderous intent as if to say since it should not be taken so seriously I can write anything I want).

HOW TO TELL?! 100% of people who read my joke, then read a tabloid report, would say a) is a joke, b) is a report! Come on, for crying out loud! Besides, you've been comparing my joke to slanderous reports that damage people, NOT to alien abductions, symbv!
hentai_proxyApr 12, 2013 11:35 AM
Apr 12, 2013 11:38 AM

Sep 2012
Well, should we treat those alien abduction report seriously then? You are acting as if just because it is a joke anything can go as long as it is funny. My point is that the line between a joke and a report can be not that clear-cut. As I said, if a person who did not know anything about the tabloid report heard your jokes, he is likely to form certain opinion about Hirano and most likely it will be one that is close to what the tabloid report wrote. You are saying nobody should take a joke seriously, but does it mean that people will not form some opinion, consciously or not, about the subject of the joke even if they say they are not really taking a joke seriously? By this view, your jokes that are based on some slanderous tabloid reports in fact are having similar effect like those reports have.

Apr 12, 2013 11:39 AM
Oct 2010
hentai_proxy said:
Besides, you've been comparing my joke to slanderous reports that damage people, NOT to alien abductions, symbv!
Apr 12, 2013 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
^ I said "Perhaps we can also treat tabloid reports as some jokes" I did not say only the slanderous reports. Finer details aside, as I said above, your joke can also damage people too. If we follow your freewheeling attitude that every joke is fine as long as it is a joke, I can fully imagine people with malice intents spreading falsehood or slanders by jokes and then claim that it is fine because nobody should take jokes seriously even though jokes can also serve opinion shaping or propaganda purpose.
symbvApr 12, 2013 11:57 AM

Apr 12, 2013 11:47 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
Well, should we treat those alien abduction report seriously then? You are acting as if just because it is a joke anything can go as long as it is funny. My point is that the line between a joke and a report can be not that clear-cut. As I said, if a person who did not know anything about the tabloid report heard your jokes, he is likely to form certain opinion about Hirano and most likely it will be one that is close to what the tabloid report wrote. You are saying nobody should take a joke seriously, but does it mean that people will not form some opinion, consciously or not, about the subject of the joke even if they say they are not really taking a joke seriously? By this view, your jokes that are based on some slanderous tabloid reports in fact are having similar effect like those reports have.

I already gave my position on people who form opinions based on jokes or who take jokes to be a valid source of facts, I don't have to repeat myself.
Apr 12, 2013 11:49 AM

Sep 2012
^ Then I guess I don't need to repeat myself the opinion that your jokes can also have the same effect as those tabloid report on which your jokes are based.
symbvApr 12, 2013 11:58 AM

Apr 12, 2013 11:59 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
^ Then I guess I don't need to repeat myself that your jokes can also serve the same effect as those tabloid report on which your jokes are based.

No, you don't, I have understood your claim perfectly well. I simply cannot see how the person who will be fooled by the slanderous tabloid report, deliberately crafted to destroy a reputation, will be fooled by a clowny joke based on the story, a joke that obviously mocks itself. I do not see how the comparison is being made that, if a person is vulnerable to an insidiously written paper, they are vulnerable to my Q&A. Do you really see insidiousness, malice, an underhanded attempt to slander in the joke? I don't. These are characteristics of the tabloid stories, not my joke. I am sorry you think otherwise.
Apr 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Sep 2012
You can say whatever you like about people should not take a joke seriously but the reality is joke can influence people's opinion too. In cold war there were Russian jokes that portrayed America as hell on Earth and this actually served as propaganda tools to get people to believe that America is an evil place. Should we blame those people who heard this joke and started to think America is a bad place? The fact is, people are constantly being influenced by stream of information they heard. Even though they may claim that they do not take jokes seriously, consciously or unconsciously their view may be shaped by what they heard. This is why jokes have been used in propaganda, insinuation and subtle marketing purpose. And even if a listener managed to indeed reject being influenced by the subject of your jokes, he may still get curious about the backstory of your jokes and check about it later, thus exposing himself to the slanderous material. Even if your jokes are not a tabloid report, the end effect could be similar, either by directly having an influence on the listeners or by spreading the awareness of the existence of the back story.
symbvApr 12, 2013 12:14 PM

Apr 12, 2013 12:20 PM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
You can say whatever you like about people should not take a joke seriously but the reality is joke can influence people's opinion too. In cold war there were Russian jokes that portrayed America as hell on Earth and this actually served as propaganda tools to get people to believe that America is an evil place. Should we blame those people who heard this joke and started to think America is a bad place? The fact is, people are constantly being influenced by stream of information they heard. Even though they may claim that they do not take jokes seriously, consciously or unconsciously their view may be shaped by what they heard. This is why jokes have been used in propaganda, insinuation and subtle marketing purpose. And even if a listener managed to indeed reject being influenced by the subject of your jokes, he may still get curious about the backstory of your jokes and check about it later, thus exposing himself to the slanderous material. Even if your jokes are not a tabloid report, the end effect could be similar.

I am very well aware of the use of jokes in propaganda; my joke was not crafted for such purposes. Someone might decide to think bad of Aya after reading it. Someone else might decide to think bad of the story after reading it. A third person may decide to think good of Aya after reading it. All of these possibilities and countless others are beyond my control (unlike a propagandist's machinery, by the way). I just wanted some people to laugh, if they found it funny.
Apr 12, 2013 12:26 PM

Sep 2012
Jokes created for propaganda purpose may be crafted for that purpose, but that does not mean that jokes cannot be created and unintentionally ended up serving similar purpose. Your joke can be the unintentional case. I would bet that more people would start to harbor more negative opinion about Hirano after they heard the jokes (and perhaps even more likely if they proceed to check the back story) than not. You try to argue that the likelihood is the same for thinking good or thinking bad, but I think a joke that is based on a slanderous report is more likely to influence people in the direction of the slanderous report. And even if there are many who do not end up thinking bad of Hirano, the possibility of some people may end up thinking bad of Hirano already shows a detrimental effect on Hirano's reputation, which is what the original tabloid report aimed to achieve anyway.

And even if we take that aside, your joke also spreads awareness of the existence of the tabloid report as people who did not know about the original tabloid report may try to find it and read it later. So your jokes are helping the tabloid reports to spread. Viewed in this way, your jokes can even be said to serve a marketing purpose for the tabloid.
symbvApr 12, 2013 12:35 PM

Apr 12, 2013 12:34 PM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
And even if we take that aside, your joke also spreads awareness the existence of the tabloid report. So your jokes are helping the tabloid reports to spread.

I see; actually I don't, since my joke was at the end of a page completely clarifying the situation and meant primarily for those readers (both sides of the argument), to break all the seriousness. Somehow, it became a vehicle to promote slanderous reports even though it is not referencing anything so nobody unfamiliar with the story would get it. All of it is a moot worry now. My joke is completely inaccessible now to anyone without the patience to flip through endless pages to locate it. I guess that's one less thing for Aya to worry about.
Apr 12, 2013 12:43 PM

Sep 2012
^ Well, once it is released in internet, information can take on its own feet and travel around. People who mean ill can just copy your jokes without all the context of the pages of discussion of the story in this thread and pass it around to places where there are people who know who Hirano is or would be interested to know who she is after reading the jokes. Even you say it is now buried in "endless pages", a simple search can still dig up the material.

Anyway, to conclude, to me jokes is just one form of speech and if speech can be slanderous, jokes can also be slanderous, either because of its direct influence or because it helps to spread the background slander story.
symbvApr 12, 2013 12:49 PM

Apr 12, 2013 12:54 PM

May 2012
symbv said:
So you also buy the allegation that she was slutting around then, as you said they are "facts". As I said time and again, we do not know how much of the tabloid report are "facts". She could have had sex with just one coworker which would make the premises of the joke incorrect already. Or she could have had none.

Its very interesting that your apparent love for her makes you only think she could have sex with just one band member, but you conveniently dont mention the other possibility .... for all we know (or dont) she could have had sex with ALL band members and who knows many more coworkers.

We have after sex photo, at least one is for sure, irrefutable evidence, and no, if it was a fake, she would have promptly said so, considering it was gonna end her career, like it did.

symbv said:
We have seen tabloids putting alien abduction and lake monster on front page. .

Sure, except they dont give irrefutable photographically evidence that suggest otherwise and that at the least some part of the story is absolutely truth. Also Nessie does not have the option to say, hey, that a fake, it is not me.

And way to go for someone suggesting closing this thread. Let the censorship reign over MAL at the sight of someone telling /negatively or positively) something we dont like to hear/read. NICE.

Seems the truth is so hard for some to digest. If she did it with one or all 4 matters little, fact remains her image is ruined forever in the eyes of her fans. The result is as we know. She wanted attention and she got it. She should have not permitted after sex photos to be taken of her.
9988Apr 12, 2013 1:07 PM
Apr 12, 2013 12:56 PM
Oct 2010
So before making a joke, one must not only make sure there is no possibility of misunderstanding or abuse in the context spoken/written, but also in any possible repetition that may or may not occur in the future. Also, it must not be based on challenged reports, especially those considered slanderous, because it might promote them. Finally, one cannot rely on sensible discretion on part of the readers/listeners and is responsible if somebody does misunderstand or abuse the joke.

*gags own mouth, no other words spoken, no other words written*
Apr 12, 2013 1:00 PM

Sep 2012
9988 said:
Its very interesting that your apparent love for her makes you only think she could have sex with just one band member (sex photo and all, at least one is for sure) but you conveniently dont mention the other possibility .... for all we know (or dont) she could have had sex with ALL band members and wjo knows many more coworkers.
Just to be clear, I am not a fan of Hirano even though I think she did very well in a few roles she was famous in. I am just against taking tabloid report at face value and treat its report automatically as "fact". Well, the reason why I did not mention the other possibility that you mentioned is because I mentioned the possibility that having sex with just one (or none) is enough to show that the tabloid report is not accurate. On the other hand, the possibility that you mentioned is implicit in the tabloid report.

9988 said:
We have after sex photo, at least one is for sure, irrefutable evidence, and no, if it was a fake, she would have promptly said so, considering it was gonna end her career, like it did.
Well, as I said, almost always the victim would not speak out about the report, particularly if it is on sensitive subject like money and sex. At the end, even if it is a fake, it is hard to disprove it and the whole matter can just end up gaining more exposure, to the detriment of the victim's reputation.
symbvApr 12, 2013 1:09 PM

Apr 12, 2013 1:08 PM

Sep 2012
hentai_proxy said:
So before making a joke, one must not only make sure there is no possibility of misunderstanding or abuse in the context spoken/written, but also in any possible repetition that may or may not occur in the future. Also, it must not be based on challenged reports, especially those considered slanderous, because it might promote them. Finally, one cannot rely on sensible discretion on part of the readers/listeners and is responsible if somebody does misunderstand or abuse the joke.
Or you run the risk of being taken to task for spreading the back story or helping influencing people. Just remember, not every one is like you who has a high tolerance of what is humor and how joke should never be taken seriously, at all. If anything, this is why some would say that not all jokes are created equal - there are good jokes and there are bad jokes. And sometimes bad jokes can be less desirable than no joke at all.

Apr 12, 2013 1:18 PM

May 2012
@ symbv

So you are not a fan of her. Note it, Its just that your vehemently defense made me believe otherwise.

Cannot say that what you said is not possible. I find it very hard to believe that she would remain silent if it was totally untrue, will someone permit a career to end because a lie? So this suggest some part of it is true. Maybe not as bad, possible, yes.

This is the internet, you cannot hope people not talk about her, negatively or positively however.
Apr 12, 2013 1:34 PM

Sep 2012
^ Well, I just do not see why I have to declare myself as a fan or not before I object to automatic acceptance of a tabloid report as fully accurate facts.

I think it is not a good idea to just treat silence as admission of fault. There are many other reasons why people choose not to fight an allegation. As I said, the potential cost on time, effort, resource and reputation in order to fight is just one possible reason.

> This is the internet, you cannot hope people not talk about her, negatively or positively however.

No, I never dispute that. I am fully aware that once things get into internet they will get circulated and get discussed, which is one reason why I said creating a joke based on a tabloid report can also mean helping the circulation of the report.

Apr 14, 2013 3:21 PM
Apr 2013
They need to find a new seiyuu for Lucy.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 14 minutes ago

2 by derpinat0rz »»
50 seconds ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
3 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
6 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

11 by MantaRaydiated »»
Yesterday, 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.