Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2011 9:04 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So he is meeting Rin's mother?

She thought he was his grandpa, and he thought she was Rin.

She really doesn't want Rin to think her of mother.

Rin wants the knife and immediately wants to cook after she got it.

Rin wants to stay as her original name, instead of getting his last name. Nice.
tsubasaloverAug 4, 2011 9:07 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 4, 2011 10:21 AM

Sep 2008
I just adore Rin's simple way of thinking and how it strikes your heart with the force of a hammer. I swear my heart skipped a beat when Rin wanted Daikichi to be Daikichi.

Masako is just so useless, I want to slap her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2011 10:34 AM

Nov 2007
what a useless mother. to me it seemed like she just abandoned her daughter for her job AND YOUNG NEW BOYFRIEND. seriously.... she was rather cute but air headed. why was she with an old man to begin with?

I'm glad Rin decided for him to just be Daikichi.
Aug 4, 2011 10:45 AM

Oct 2010
mystik said:
what a useless mother.
Useless? How about pathetic and foolish. I was so RAGE @ the mother! Rage @ unlimited times. I kind of fake slapped the screen once I saw the screen. I said I would do that and I did. That mother should not deserve Rin at all. RAGE at the mother.

The mother reminds me of the mother from this series:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/102/Aishiteruze_Baby
if anyone knows it then you know what I mean. Seriously though, the mother from Aishiteruze Baby at least I accepted her reason but I cannot accept the reason from Masako. Just c-a-n-n-o-t and that's all.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 4, 2011 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
well, that is about as realistic as it gets. although she was a bit mature for her age....a six year old kid might not have that kind of view despite what she had gone through. as for the mother...she cares but not as much as she should. she wanted out and has now found away out and that is that.
Aug 4, 2011 11:08 AM

Nov 2008
Rin's mom needs to be slapped silly. Parental abandonment is terrible especially for the mother.

Aug 4, 2011 11:08 AM

Aug 2010
I thought Rin brushing her teeth was really cute, and that song (although it kind of hurt my ears, haha) was pretty cute.
Aug 4, 2011 11:58 AM

Mar 2011
"Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

;_;
Aug 4, 2011 12:18 PM

Nov 2007
The scene after the ED was just d'awwwh.
Rin is too precious <3

I'm kinda upset with Masako, but she honestly has her own circumstances and it's not like she abandoned Rin on the road or anything. She clearly does kind of regret it but raising a kid would've really screwed up her life.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Aug 4, 2011 12:21 PM

Oct 2008
I can't see his grandfather being the biological father of Rin. His grandfather was EXTREMELY old and looked it. Rin's mother, even now, is a very young looking and extremely attractive woman. Age gaps are one thing, but this is a bit much to take seriously in the current circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rin's Mother's current boyfriend is actually the father. Rin does have to get that blond hair from somewhere and neither her mother or anyone in Daikichi's family is blond from what i remember. Even though this is an anime (ie characters often have crazy hair colors), it seems to be trying to stick to realistic hair colors and her hair being blond when both the confirmed mother and almost all of the named father's family has very dark brown hair sticks out.

I didn't really like the "just Daikichi scene." It seemed very unrealistic and fell flat. Daikichi, against all odds, works up the courage to adopt rin and then also works up the courage to ask her about it, but she just shoots him down with a lame line that should have been hurtful. It would be the same situation as if he confessed his love for that attractive mother, but she said she wanted to stay friends that "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

Daikichi is focusing his entire life around Rin and being her father in all but name, but she still wants to think of him as "some relative of my real father."

I don't really blame her biological mother. Her life did not allow her to raise a child. When she got pregnant, her options were to either have an abortion or have the baby and leave it with someone who can take care of it. She did the later, causing Rin to be born and be successfully taken care of. Rin also never even knew she was her mother. This is a completely different situation than the previously mentioned Aishiteruze Baby.
Aug 4, 2011 12:28 PM

Dec 2009
somehow i just get the feeling that the grandfather just covered up for rin as an father... at the way rins mother is displayed, i can never believe she would start anything with an old geezer! i think the grandfather just looked after rin like daikichi is doing now cause the mother is not viable. good for nothing as she said on her own...

and then the scene with the boyfriend... (maybe the real father blonde hair) just made me belive my thesis more and more (don't know if the maga tells anything different i don't read it) if the mangaka gives a damn about the rules of mendel :)
Aug 4, 2011 12:34 PM
May 2011
Murbella said:
I can't see his grandfather being the biological father of Rin. His grandfather was EXTREMELY old and looked it. Rin's mother, even now, is a very young looking and extremely attractive woman. Age gaps are one thing, but this is a bit much to take seriously in the current circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rin's Mother's current boyfriend is actually the father. Rin does have to get that blond hair from somewhere and neither her mother or anyone in Daikichi's family is blond from what i remember. Even though this is an anime (ie characters often have crazy hair colors), it seems to be trying to stick to realistic hair colors and her hair being blond when both the confirmed mother and almost all of the named father's family has very dark brown hair sticks out.

I didn't really like the "just Daikichi scene." It seemed very unrealistic and fell flat. Daikichi, against all odds, works up the courage to adopt rin and then also works up the courage to ask her about it, but she just shoots him down with a lame line that should have been hurtful. It would be the same situation as if he confessed his love for that attractive mother, but she said she wanted to stay friends that "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

Daikichi is focusing his entire life around Rin and being her father in all but name, but she still wants to think of him as "some relative of my real father."

I don't really blame her biological mother. Her life did not allow her to raise a child. When she got pregnant, her options were to either have an abortion or have the baby and leave it with someone who can take care of it. She did the later, causing Rin to be born and be successfully taken care of. Rin also never even knew she was her mother. This is a completely different situation than the previously mentioned Aishiteruze Baby.

^This. Except that I liked the "just Daikichi scene". It leaves room for more progress, we are more or less only half way through. I can imagine that the real adoption will come in a later episode, and many of us will probably get wet eyes then ;)
Aug 4, 2011 12:42 PM

Aug 2009
This mom is just a failure....
Aug 4, 2011 12:55 PM

Mar 2008
mystik said:
what a useless mother.

Yumekichi11 said:
Useless? How about pathetic and foolish. I was so RAGE @ the mother! Rage @ unlimited times. I kind of fake slapped the screen once I saw the screen. I said I would do that and I did. That mother should not deserve Rin at all. RAGE at the mother.

Hoppy said:
Rin's mom needs to be slapped silly. Parental abandonment is terrible especially for the mother.

Hohohohoh you guys don't see nothing yet.

And, someone make foreshadow here.
Aug 4, 2011 1:13 PM

Jul 2009
Aaaahhhhh I love this show! Did Rin get taller after the credits?
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Aug 4, 2011 1:14 PM

Dec 2009
AS I've said before, i don't like her mother's character, she just comes off as too cold to me. I quickly forgot about her mother, however, because Rin was being so adorable. Especially at the part at the very end. If ever i have a daughter, i want her to be like Rin Chan.
Aug 4, 2011 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
NHKNegative said:

;_;

Rin: I'll hold you too, next time you cry Daikichi.

; __ ;
Aug 4, 2011 1:37 PM

Dec 2010
I'm also starting to think that Grandpa isn't Rin's biological father, especially after seeing Masako with her young boyfriend. I really want to know more about them, I'm sure there's something more she didn't tell Daikichi. But she seems really odd, I have to admit. (well, she's an artist after all lol)

I don't know what to think about Rin refusing Daikichi to adopt her... But I didn't find it unrealistic, children DO tend to behave a way one wouldn't expect.

Well, I wish my six-year-old niece was as cute and smart as Rin. x'D (She's more like Reina... ^^;)
Aug 4, 2011 1:53 PM

Oct 2010
Murbella said:
Yes it is but that does not mean both are not related in mother abandoning their child. That was most of thee point I wanted to make and that was a reasonable excuse to abandon a child VS the reason of the mother in this series. No it was damn lame I find.
PaninaManina said:
If you know something about the manga not mentioned here or in the anime maybe you should tell us in a spoiler because I am damn curious right now.

Aug 4, 2011 2:10 PM

Jan 2011
If Rin's mother is pretty immature (which seems to be the case from everything we see), think of what she would have been like six years ago when Rin was born. I think Rin was better off being raised by Daikichi and Grandpa. Rin's mother also seems to be aware of that and I can't fault her for making the decision--Daikichi seems to be a pretty good father. We also don't know much about her family circumstances, but the fact that Grandpa seems to be her only adult support when she is pregnant hints that they may not have been that great (as does her demand that Rin have the same name as her guardian--does that come from personal experience).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 4, 2011 2:18 PM

Jun 2011
Rin is so mature, she just makes my heart melt. <3
Aug 4, 2011 2:26 PM
Jun 2011
This show keeps getting better and better..=)

While i think the motives of Masako are kind of upsetting, i don't blame her completely. I think that, in a way, she still cares about Rin and did what she thought i was the best for her. I am really curious to know more about Masako (and the "boyfriend").

About the adoption, i think it will happen in the future (probably in a very emotional way, as MorisatoK said..i.i). I really liked the way Rin showed that she is happy about who she and Daikichi are, and i admire the way that Daikichi always asks and respect the opinions of Rin. =)
Aug 4, 2011 2:35 PM

Oct 2010
So here I am practicing my piano arrangement of High, High, High so I can record it for youtube. Then I take a break and watch the newest ep of Usagi Drop, and what do I hear in the cafe scene... A piano arrangement of High High High! D'oh.

It's a much for lounge style though, which is probably a lot easier to play than my version which is more of a transcription of the ending theme at full tempo.

BTW, my version is available at my blog or on youtube. http://robusab.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-arrangement-high-high-high-usagi.html is the easiest way. ^^
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Aug 4, 2011 2:45 PM

Apr 2010
This show is so damn good
Aug 4, 2011 2:53 PM
Nov 2009
how old is thaT mother, rly and i still cant understand why she'd bang an old guy then now have a young bf
Aug 4, 2011 2:56 PM

Dec 2010
Murbella said:

Agree completly with your post and felt the same way about this scene in particular. It was supposed to convey warmth when it actually hit me pretty cold, of course considering it's a child's straight answer. So at first I thought he was crying out of disappointment. Yet I like Rin's determined response and I don't think she loves him any less then a real father.

Concerning her mother, the way this anime was until now I doubt it's as shallow as it seems and there's probably more to it. I wouldn't be supprised if this turns out completly different.
But I couldn't help to think about her wanting the child back at some point. She's the biological mother after all and by law Daikichi has no grounds here. If I were in his shoes that's the first thing I would've cleared up and adopted her even with a different name. BTW that talk about women giving up her name anyway is so typical for the conservative Japanese.

Overall I'd say the best episode for now.
Aug 4, 2011 4:03 PM

Oct 2009
Rin is too adorable! Why would you abandon a child like that? Rin's Mom is lucky enough not to have a daughter like Reina >.> she just annoys the hell out of me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2011 4:14 PM

Apr 2010
I LOVED THAT EPISODE. Its was so touching and cute. I can't wait to see where this series goes. TT~TT 5/5
Aug 4, 2011 4:28 PM

Mar 2010
Best episode so far, that was soooo cute.. and that last bit was halarious.
"Am I raising Rin or is Rin raising me?" That gave me a laugh
Aug 4, 2011 4:31 PM

Sep 2010
And1ce said:
how old is thaT mother, rly and i still cant understand why she'd bang an old guy then now have a young bf

She doesn't seem very detail oriented enough to be bothered by things like wrinkles and such. Remember she called Daikchi by the name Souichi so what she saw in Souichi is problably not related to his age. Also is that her boyfriend, brother, cousin, friend, or manga employee? If he is related to her then that would explain Rin's hair color, maybe. Would anyone that has read the manga care to do a spoiler tag to tell us who that guy is.

Personally I rather think of Masako as an adult child who isn't ready for the responsibility of raising a child alone instead of a despicable human-being but if that guy is Rin's father then that means they both abandoned the Rin and that looks worse.
Anime_NameAug 4, 2011 6:07 PM

Aug 4, 2011 4:54 PM

Oct 2010
Gosh, Rin is so cute! Just the littlest things that she says goes straight to my heart <3
Aug 4, 2011 5:04 PM

May 2011
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Damn this show is just tugging at the heartstrings. The scenes after Daikichi's day trip to meet the mother were full of all sorts of win.

Masako seems like a crackhead or something. I don't loathe her. I just get the feeling she flipped out when she became pregnant. It's obvious that her spacey personality coupled with with some obsessive compulsive characteristics leads me to believe she's got mental issues and Daikichi is right in his decisions to keep Rin.
Aug 4, 2011 5:27 PM

Oct 2010
Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...
Well your spoiler is certainly interesting to see how it will be presented in this anime but I do hope there is 0 blood relation with Daikichi's family if I am to comfortable with your spoiler.

Aug 4, 2011 5:34 PM
May 2009
Hoppy said:

See, this right here is what I was expecting and what I knew would annoy me most. “Especially for the MOTHER”

Men leave families all the time but the instant a woman leaves her children she is demonized, never mind her situation. I'm not saying it's a good thing for a family to be split up like that either way, but people here are just being unfair.

Why is it worse if the mother leaves? Because she gave birth to the child? I don't see how it matters. Or are we going down that dreadfully sexist route of "Because women are supposed to look after babies."

There are many reasons why a woman might leave her children, just the same as if a man left. Some of them could be doing it for purely terrible reasons but not all.

Masako had her reasons, you may not like them, but I understand them. There are also a few large points to draw attention to.

From what I've got so far she still seems a bit immature, perhaps not the best at making important decisions. She works for Rin's father and somehow ends up pregnant. Now here is the first point. Grandpa wanted her to have the baby. It was not her decision. He convinced her to keep Rin.

Masako looks at her situation. She's a mangaka (unless I'm mistaken?) a job with a shoddy wage and terrible hours. She knows she wouldn't be able to keep her work up and handle a child but she tried anyway. She tried to take care of Rin. I admit that she didn’t do a good job of it but she gave it a go. She could have run off as soon as Rin was born, said she didn’t want anything to do with her, but she didn’t. You also have to add the circumstances of Rin’s father. Masako must have known what things looked like, if grandpa was the father of her child. People would automatically label her as scum anyway, I bet, as soon as they found out. Grandpa’s naïve dream of them all being a family makes him out to be the unreliable one, not her. The world just doesn’t work like a fairy tale.

She does care for Rin. She has a funny way of showing it but she agreed to meet Daikichi didn’t she? If she didn’t care at all she could have told him to get lost. Instead she meets him and asks for things that she hopes will make life easier for Rin. She even admitted she found it hard to tell herself Rin wasn’t her daughter.

So she decides it’s better not to be there. Of course she could have handled it better, but the whole thing doesn’t make her into the evil person everyone else here is trying to paint her as.
Aug 4, 2011 5:34 PM

Mar 2009
Uh, I'm not sure why people are getting annoyed about the "Daikichi should be Daikichi" scene. I thought it was perfectly fine and understandable. I've worked with kids quite a bit in the past, and kids -- along with adults -- don't like change. They like to stick to what they like at the moment, including Rin and her surname. Of course she wouldn't want to change it; what would happen, then, with all the time she had spent with her real father? She told Daikichi to be Daikichi because he doesn't have to try so hard to be the ideal fatherly figure, and that what he's doing is perfectly fine. He'll never be her real father, and doesn't have to pretend to be. She takes the current situation as is.

I also liked the way they presented Masako. Her reactions seemed so realistic for someone who's been through so much, but doesn't want to share it with the world. When she was sitting and eating at the cafe, she seemed restrained, awkward, almost quiet. I'm sure we've just scratched the surface of her character, and there's more about her to come. We still don't know what she thinks of Rin, what she thinks of herself (other than the fact that she's useless, but that only reinforces the fact that she has self-esteem issues), and why she agreed to having Rin. It's deeper than it looks, guys. If she really was as immature as she looked, she'd try to raise Rin on her measly wage and shitty lifestyle. No one would have been happy if she had kept Rin.

Good episode.
Aug 4, 2011 6:14 PM

Jul 2010
Rin Mother :@ air headed

Rin was cute when she said you just stay as daikichi. though i hope she won't get bullied in school. though still i want her to adopt daikchi surname.

I will be glad if daikichi get together with that other boys mother. they really match each other and she's also alone. but i don't think that's going to happen.

Yumekichi11 said:
mystik said:
what a useless mother.

The mother reminds me of the mother from this series:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/102/Aishiteruze_Baby
if anyone knows it then you know what I mean. Seriously though, the mother from Aishiteruze Baby at least I accepted her reason but I cannot accept the reason from Masako. Just c-a-n-n-o-t and that's all.

You said it all.
Han-yuuAug 4, 2011 6:17 PM
Aug 4, 2011 6:31 PM

Feb 2011
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

That ruined my day. :D Had to check it first in the manga discussion as it seemed quite unbelievable. I should learn not to open spoilers in future.
Aug 4, 2011 6:40 PM

Aug 2010
I SWEAR THIS ANIME IS THE CUTEST THING IN THE WORLD. I love it sooooo much :) I wonder who that guy at the end was :O the boyfriend of Rin's mom?!
I can't wait till next weeeeeek!
Aug 4, 2011 7:06 PM

Mar 2011
I tried to hate Rin's mother. Not working. Not that I like her, but I don't hate her either. It's just that...I just can't. There's something about this anime that makes me unable to hate even one of the characters.

I'm starting to think that Rin is getting too mature though for a six years old kid though
Aug 4, 2011 8:09 PM
May 2010
I'm so mad @ the mother I don't even wanna watch anymore...

Such an unpleasant character.
Aug 4, 2011 8:14 PM

Jul 2010
I had a feeling that Daikichi would mention about adopting Rin.
Aug 4, 2011 8:18 PM

Aug 2010
LOL everyone hates Rin's mother XD figures i didn't quite like her but it ain't hate (not yet at least) i'm sure we gonna find out her motives (i hope so at least)
Aug 4, 2011 8:40 PM

Oct 2010
This is so damn good. I hope someone licenses it.

I spoiled myself by reading the last chapter of the manga, but I don't know how it got to that point so I'm hoping for something good and interesting, like the "Grandpa isn't Rin's biological dad" kind of thing.
I'm quite intrigued at how people will react to the ending.
"El Psy Congroo"
Aug 4, 2011 8:41 PM

May 2009
Terrific episode. The mother's a failure of a parent, though it's obvious she cares for Rin. Rin's response to Daikichi's question was not cold or insulting and shouldn't be taken that way.
Aug 4, 2011 8:49 PM

Nov 2009
Yay! I resisted the urge to click the spoiler after seeing how it ruined someone's day ;p

Seriously, this episode made me all warm and fuzzy inside!
Ero-Sennin got nothing on me.

Aug 4, 2011 8:55 PM
Jan 2011
Omg, she's a magaka! (Bakuman fan in me coming out haha)
Amazing episode as usual, gotta love this show!
Yeah, I think Rin would be better off with Daikichi the way her mom was (very out of it, not taking her opinion, etc.)

RobUsaB said:
So here I am practicing my piano arrangement of High, High, High so I can record it for youtube. Then I take a break and watch the newest ep of Usagi Drop, and what do I hear in the cafe scene... A piano arrangement of High High High! D'oh.

It's a much for lounge style though, which is probably a lot easier to play than my version which is more of a transcription of the ending theme at full tempo.

BTW, my version is available at my blog or on youtube. http://robusab.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-arrangement-high-high-high-usagi.html is the easiest way. ^^

Sounds awesome!
Aug 4, 2011 9:36 PM

Jun 2009
TanukiBoi said:
NHKNegative said:

;_;

Rin: I'll hold you too, next time you cry Daikichi.

; __ ;

yes yes!!!!!!! T-T Rin is just adorable!!
Aug 4, 2011 11:39 PM

Nov 2006
I'm kind of conflicted about Masako's decision but I can definitely understand where she's coming from. Of course the right decision would have been to not have the baby or give it up for adoption...
She obviously cares about Rin and made this decision with the hope that she'd have a stable parental figure in her life, which she did get. Rin probably would have turned out fine if Masako had kept her since she's incredibly independent to begin with, but Masako not being motherly or wanting a child put the nail in the coffin.
Aug 5, 2011 12:12 AM

Aug 2010
What a bitch. On the other hand Rin was as cute as always.
Aug 5, 2011 1:23 AM

Apr 2009
Garfield4th said:
djfmurphy said:

My hope is that they don't do the time skip, it would ruin such a good show.

This. The time skip completely changes what we love about Usagi Drop. Everyone should savor the moments now.lol
MiraiLinkAug 5, 2011 1:27 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.