Forum Settings
Forums

Madhouse To Remake Hunter x Hunter Anime with New Staff and Cast [Update Aug 3]

New
Aug 1, 2011 8:39 AM

Feb 2008
According to Mainichi, the new Hunter x Hunter anime will start on October 2nd. Madhouse Studios will remake it from the beginning of the story. The production staff and the voice cast are renewed. Nihon TV prepared a new programming block for the new anime at 10:55 am on Sundays. The previous TV series was aired on Fuji TV in 1999. The change of the broadcasting TV channel is quite unusual.

Staff
Director: Kohjina Hiroshi
Series Composition: Maekawa Atsushi ("Prince of Tennis", "Bakugan" series)
Character Design: Yoshimatsu Takahiro
Program Producer: Nakatani Toshio ("Death Note", "Nana", "Kaiji")

Update on August 3rd
Cast
Gon: Han Megumi (live action actress, Profile, daughter of Han Keiko)
Killua: Ise Mariya
Leorio: Fujiwara Keiji
Kurapika: Sawashiro Miyuki
Hisoka: Namikawa Daisuke

Sources: Mainichi,Scan of WSJ
myanimelistllcFeb 14, 2016 1:07 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2011 8:44 AM

Apr 2011
Noooo ! Now I have to go through the boring beginning. AGAIN. The only thing worth watching is Hisoka. This series became good when it started to look like DBZ.
Aug 1, 2011 8:45 AM

Jan 2009
Noooooo!
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Aug 1, 2011 8:48 AM

Aug 2009
I was hoping for a sequel T_T but i'm still gonna watch it coz hunter x hunter is just that awesome.
Aug 1, 2011 8:50 AM

Jul 2008
shame its not sequel but eventually it will probably get further then where we are so i'll be watching it
Aug 1, 2011 8:50 AM

Feb 2009
WHY.
Aug 1, 2011 8:51 AM

Aug 2008
Well, I guess it's better this way. Re-watching the whole series wouldn't be necessary anymore.
I'm looking forward to it ^^
Aug 1, 2011 8:54 AM

Jan 2010
Now let's hope this can bring in some revenue for Madhouse so they can make some more unpopular but incredibly good anime.
Ok™
Aug 1, 2011 8:57 AM

Feb 2010
Oh so in the end it is a remake?
Also great ^^

Program Producer: Nakatani Toshio ("Death Note", "Nana", "Kaiji")

Win
AlcoholicideAug 1, 2011 9:02 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 1, 2011 8:58 AM
Sep 2007
What is wrong with original seiyuus?
Aug 1, 2011 8:59 AM
Sep 2007
Hopefully they'll make it follow more closely with the manga and get further than the old series since it only made it up to vol.18. And hopefully the cast won't be entirely new. I liked Takeuchi Junko as Gon. Ah well, it'll be nice to see the beginning re-animated. Cant wait to see it!
Aug 1, 2011 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
THANK GOD IT'S A REMAKE! I was hoping it would be, this is going to be awesome. More time if there is no Hiatus during airing to catch up on!

I completely trust Madhouse will make a faithful adaptation with an awesome art style and animation to boot!
Aug 1, 2011 9:09 AM

Dec 2007
If it's a remake and not a sequel, now I don't have to watch the original.

Madhouse haven't done a good anime in years in my opinion, it's about time they get on track.

Also, I heard the manga has alot of hiatuses, I hope the manga author stops with that in order to have more material to adapt, and then ofcourse there will be some fillers.
Aug 1, 2011 9:15 AM

Oct 2009
Sigh...oh well, but why new cast as well :\
Aug 1, 2011 9:17 AM

Jan 2010
yay ... now i dont have to watch the old one =D
Aug 1, 2011 9:18 AM
Nov 2010
Hahahahahaha
Serves fans right!!!
xDDD
Aug 1, 2011 9:28 AM
Nov 2010
Well, I'm one of those who didn't watch the older version so I'm glad it's a remake...:)
Aug 1, 2011 9:33 AM
Mar 2011
Well, at least we are getting something. :)
Aug 1, 2011 9:39 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
I'm somehow both excited and saddened that it's a complete remake. On the one hand, there's enough manga material that it should take a good year or longer to animate what's already out, giving the mangaka plenty of time to at least finish up this arc. Plus, I had always been sort of at odds about some of the characterization changes in the anime. On the other hand, I really liked the original voicecast, especially Kurapika. It might be difficult getting used to new voices.

I suppose I will live.

This and Fate/Zero are now the two most anticipated series for this upcoming October season for me. <3
Aug 1, 2011 9:40 AM

Jun 2009
great there's a new HxH anime, sad that it's a remake and not a sequel, plus a different seiyuu cast :/
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Aug 1, 2011 9:43 AM

Sep 2007
This is great news. I have wanted to watch the anime for so long, but have been reluctant because they only got up to the Greed Island arc. Can't wait to start watching the new series.
Aug 1, 2011 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
Cool. I never watched the original but I might check this one out. It's directed by the guy behind Rainbow (My Top 3 anime of 2010) and Madhouse always deliver good production values, so an interesting prospect.
Aug 1, 2011 9:49 AM

Feb 2009
rarri said:

Eternal_Shield said:

Tomislavr7 said:
Well, I'm one of those who didn't watch the older version so I'm glad it's a remake...:)

What's wrong with watching the old one? It's good.
Aug 1, 2011 9:52 AM

Jul 2008
Rinso said:

it is good but i can understand where they are coming from. no reason in watching the older one now so they can view the same exact thing in a couple months
Aug 1, 2011 9:56 AM

Jan 2007
I was actually hoping for a sequel but oh well, I will watch this remake too.
Maybe the producers worried that it's been too long since the last OVA and a sequel might not be that successful, also the manga is not released regularly either.
Aug 1, 2011 10:01 AM

Feb 2009
Remake huh. Was expecting a sequel but this is good as well.
And the manga is resuming this week. Nice. Hopefully Togashi is up to speed now.

2011 is a big year for WSJ huh. From adaptations(Beelzebub,Sket Dance, Toriko) to sequels(Bakuman2,NuraMago2) to remakes of their mangas.
Nice.
Aug 1, 2011 10:12 AM

Feb 2008
there was nothing wrong with it....the manga seems to have stalled and they are changing everything? lame.
Aug 1, 2011 10:13 AM

Mar 2009
I'm that one person who's glad that it's a remake since I haven't seen the original :> I can watch the new version now~
Aug 1, 2011 10:13 AM

Mar 2008
Damn, this ruins the chance of this ever getting dubbed.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Aug 1, 2011 10:18 AM

Aug 2009
I hope that the OST will be at least half as awesome as the one in the older adaptation
Aug 1, 2011 10:21 AM

Mar 2009
Baww I was hoping it would be a sequel.
Oh well. I really hope the voice actor for Hisoka doesn't change. He is just too awesome.
Aug 1, 2011 10:23 AM

Aug 2007
Was hoping I finally get the Chimera Ant arc finally animated. :( I hope Madhouse finally bounce back. A lot of their anime hasn't been good as of late and I'm not referring to the whole collaboration with Marvel >.>
Aug 1, 2011 10:23 AM
Oct 2009
i don't have anything against a remake ,, but, man we've been waiting for ages,,,, at least give us the next arc first then think about remakes,,,,,,

well just imagine, 92 episodes, remade.. how many episodes do u think it'll take?? if it were to be remade into 50 episodes, how long will that take? MORE THAN A YEAR of course...

and plus, we've gotten used to the voice actors already..
Aug 1, 2011 10:26 AM
Oct 2009
glitchhunter said:
Baww I was hoping it would be a sequel.
Oh well. I really hope the voice actor for Hisoka doesn't change. He is just too awesome.
exactly, hisoka's voice makes around 30% of the anime,,lolz
Aug 1, 2011 10:38 AM

Nov 2009
This is perfect for me because I havent watched the original and madhouse is animating HxH. You cant go wrong with madhouse.
Aug 1, 2011 10:50 AM

Jun 2008
FUCK YOU MADHOUSE, I've just finished watching the old series :(.
Aug 1, 2011 11:02 AM

Oct 2010
Psajdak said:

they're probably too old now :]
Aug 1, 2011 11:02 AM

Sep 2009
Psajdak said:
For the ones who have watched the original, new seiyuus could be a major turn off.
Imagine Lelouch not being voiced by FukuJun in CG's remake (it will never need one); I would so rage.

Glad to hear about this. Have been wanting to watch the original but the animation...
Aug 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Oct 2008
It's cool they're coming out with a new series but I just finished watching HxH with a friend a couple months ago was hoping for a sequel ><. Oh well HxH is awesome so it'll be enjoyable just really really hope this new series won't have filler arcs especially considering how much material they have to work with if they start from the get-go. Plus it'll be pretty cool to see it animated with todays standards.
Aug 1, 2011 11:13 AM

Apr 2010
Rinso said:
rarri said:

Eternal_Shield said:

Tomislavr7 said:

I've planned to watch it to catch up, but I'm glad I don't have to now since the art style looks so old and uninteresting, plus the fact I need to watch a 90+ episode series (including ova) before Fall is kinda daunting.

Aug 1, 2011 11:14 AM

May 2009
Kinda disappointed it's a remake, I loved the old voice actors and everything, not to mention there was practically NO filler, but oh well, I guess I'll get used to this new series.
Aug 1, 2011 11:15 AM

Oct 2008
Eh the art style is far from uninteresting at least imo but that is just a personal preference thing. People these days have gotten too used to cgi-esque anime art styles
Aug 1, 2011 11:18 AM

May 2009
F*ck this sh*t... Seriously, I don't mind it being a remake (a sequel would have been better though), but WHY, oh WHY change the cast? Everyone's voice was perfect. I can't imagine Hisoka, Gon and Killua with other voice actors. I hope at least they will be unchanged...

Btw this whole remake thing is a big bullshit. The first anime and the OVAs were almost eprfect adaptations of the manga, so it seems totally meaningless.
Aug 1, 2011 11:24 AM

Dec 2010
viral_hun said:
F*ck this sh*t... Seriously, I don't mind it being a remake (a sequel would have been better though), but WHY, oh WHY change the cast? Everyone's voice was perfect. I can't imagine Hisoka, Gon and Killua with other voice actors. I hope at least they will be unchanged...

Btw this whole remake thing is a big bullshit. The first anime and the OVAs were almost eprfect adaptations of the manga, so it seems totally meaningless.

This.

I don't mind it being a remake, but why change the voice actors T_T
Aug 1, 2011 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
viral_hun said:

It should be noted that Killua's voice actress hasn't done a role in nearly 6-7 years, so its safe to assume she is done with the industry. Its stuff like that why it is really hard to get the same seiyuu casts nearly 12-13 years later. People move on, or especially for a cast full of younger people, their voices get deeper.

Aug 1, 2011 11:31 AM

May 2010
Sigh I liked the original cast.. But oh well. I will still watch it.
Aug 1, 2011 11:32 AM

Jul 2008
justaddlemon said:
RyokoAyekaLover said:
Rinso said:

it is good but i can understand where they are coming from. no reason in watching the older one now so they can view the same exact thing in a couple months

I feel pissy.

The remake won't be a replica of the original given that there's gonna be a new staff and cast. Plot is the aspect that's bound to be more or less the same. Art direction, sound, pacing, all the technical/production bits will have to be different. Kanon 2002 is no Kanon 2006. The execution of this remake could be absolutely horrible... but then again, it could be great. I'm looking forward to seeing the story play out in updated Madhouse animation.

Newness should not be the one deciding factor when everything that made the original great still holds true for that series.

the plot is the part that matters most and unless you saw the old nobody is gonna care if the cast got changed. and a lot of that stuff will probably be very similar to what it was especially the pacing will more then likely the same since its the general pace of the series itself unless they plan on doing what Brotherhood did and screw up the start to just get to the new material but i doubt it. the Kanon's are practically viewed as 2 different series so can't really compare that...

and i never said the original wasn't good but its a waste of time to go watch it now when the new one is gonna be out soon..seems like a waste to watch the 92 eps just so they watch the entire thing all over again in 2 months(especially if it gets past Greed island)..sure most people can spend their time doing something better then that
RyokoAyekaLoverAug 1, 2011 11:47 AM
Aug 1, 2011 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
Well, it'll be good to re-watch the story from the beginning. But I really don't want a new cast. I hope some of the main characters voices won't change (for example Gon's, Kurapika's and Hisoka's voice... they are still active seiyuus).
Aug 1, 2011 11:41 AM

Mar 2009
It's funny how people have to watch the new anime no matter what. But thinking at first, it would be a sequel of an older anime, half-heartedly they decided to watch the first series too. And now they are glad when they learn it's a remake cause they don't have to watch the old one, after all.

That makes me think that they're not interested in Hunter x Hunter itself, they're just interested in the fact that it's the new popular anime, and because of that they don't wanna miss on it. This is a mentality I don't understand.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 1, 2011 12:00 PM

Jul 2008
thanks jmal..seems someone actually kinda understood where i was coming from earlier as well so i agree
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 58 minutes ago

2 by RobertBobert »»
14 minutes ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 7 hours ago

3 by JehadKun »»
4 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.