MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Manga Moderators Needed
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Updates & Announcements »» Manga Moderators Needed

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
07-29-11, 11:28 PM
DB Administrator
We are currently looking for intelligent and helpful individuals who have a passion for manga and would like to contribute to MAL's manga database.

All manga moderator positions are voluntary.

A manga moderator's duties include:
- Knowing, understanding and executing the Manga DB Guidelines.
- Cooperating with other mods and admins in the general maintenance of MAL's database.
- Approving/denying manga/mangaka/character additions and edits submitted by users.
- Adding new/improving existing manga/mangaka/character entries.
- Documenting denied entries via the Merges/Removals/Denials thread.
- Monitoring the Modifications thread and Manga DB Support board regularly to answer user questions.
- Idling in our IRC channel as often as possible.

If you feel you have the time and motivation to perform these duties on a regular basis, you may apply for a manga moderator position by completing a two-step application:

1. Submit a manga entry that we do not currently have in our database via the add manga link. This may be an old title or a new title.

2. Send me a PM including the following:
- The manga title you submitted (in Step 1).
- Your time zone and age (must be at least 17).
- A paragraph describing why you are interested and why you feel you are qualified. This should include what demographics and/or genre of manga you primarily read (ex: shounen, hentai), how you read manga (ie: raw manga, scanlations, licensed manga), and which aspects of MAL's DB you could help improve beyond regular maintenance duties.

As an example: "I'm up-to-date when it comes to reading scanlations and can help add/approve new series soon after their release." or "I am well-versed in Korean and read a lot of manhwa, so I would be able to better improve this area of the manga DB." Please understand there is no right or wrong answer here, but rather is a means for us to diversify our manga moderator team for better effectiveness.

Submissions will be open for two weeks, ending on August 12, 2011.

I look forward to reading your applications! Thank you for your interest :)

07-29-11, 11:48 PM

Can I add hentai?

Or would you prefer a normal manga? Because as it is, MAL is missing a lot of hentai.
Modified by notsureifsrs, 07-29-11, 11:57 PM

07-30-11, 12:02 AM
DB Administrator
Yes, you can add hentai.

It would make the most sense for your submitted entry to tie in with what you feel you would bring to the database. So if hentai is your "specialty", certainly.

07-30-11, 12:45 AM

Do we need to read alot of manga?

07-30-11, 2:25 AM

notsureifsrs said:
Can I add hentai?

Or would you prefer a normal manga? Because as it is, MAL is missing a lot of hentai.

Go for et. More power to you!

07-30-11, 2:35 AM

ayeyosteven said:
Depends on your definition of "a lot". Having a manga list as small as mine probably wouldn't help.

Keep in mind, the less you know, the more research and cross referencing you'll have to do when working through submissions. You'll also be exposing yourself to a lot of spoilers.

07-30-11, 4:14 AM

XJC said:
ayeyosteven said:
Depends on your definition of "a lot". Having a manga list as small as mine probably wouldn't help.

Keep in mind, the less you know, the more research and cross referencing you'll have to do when working through submissions. You'll also be exposing yourself to a lot of spoilers.

Good call. I would love to help, but I would probably only moderate already well-managed series and the spoilers are a serious blow. I respect anyone who takes this commitment.

07-30-11, 9:55 AM

Would be very cool to have this job, but it seems like it takes a lot of time and would be complicated :\

Muwahahhaha I am evil.

07-30-11, 11:12 AM

Question!

I've been reading hentai doujinshis pretty much every day since late 2008. I find the hentai documentation on MAL to be pretty lacking, and would finally like to contribute somehow. But I exclusively read hentai, so I'm not up to speed with the "safe" manga scene. Would it be okay to apply as some sort of "hentai moderator" or should I just send in submissions as an ordinary user? I'm fine with either, but it just seems like you are lacking moderators in that department.

07-30-11, 11:22 AM

Ideally, we'd like several new mods, so having at least one with a strong hentai background is certainly of interest. But we're also looking for people with other interests who are willing to help out on a regular basis, so I don't want anyone to think it's a requirement. I'm concerned with "hentai doujinshi" though--make sure the submissions conform to the current manga db guidelines. They have to be original works of published artists and not use characters the artist didn't create. You're always more than welcome to submit as a regular user as well using this form.
Modified by shinkeikaku, 07-30-11, 11:31 AM

07-30-11, 10:01 PM

XJC said:
ayeyosteven said:

Like do we need some serious commitment to reading manga? My list is pretty small..

07-30-11, 10:03 PM

If you really want the position you may as well give it a shot.

07-31-11, 2:16 AM
News Team
I'm kind of interested, but I don't read much manga anymore recently...
Modified by tsubasalover, 08-01-11, 9:51 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

07-31-11, 3:13 PM

shinkeikaku said:
Ideally, we'd like several new mods, so having at least one with a strong hentai background is certainly of interest. But we're also looking for people with other interests who are willing to help out on a regular basis, so I don't want anyone to think it's a requirement. I'm concerned with "hentai doujinshi" though--make sure the submissions conform to the current manga db guidelines. They have to be original works of published artists and not use characters the artist didn't create. You're always more than welcome to submit as a regular user as well using this form.

Thanks for the answer! And I only read original works, so you won't see any NarutoxSasuke submissions from me! :)

07-31-11, 5:06 PM

Is there a min/max number of positions available, or will that depend more on the quantity/quality of the submissions you receive?

07-31-11, 5:31 PM
DB Administrator
Will depend on quality and quantity. We'd like to take on as many potentially capable moderators as possible (obviously without taking on too many), but likewise we aren't going to struggle to fill a certain quota. The last few years we've gone on internal recommendations only, but we figured we'd give applications another shot.

07-31-11, 11:53 PM

Mmm, I'm also quite interested, but despite I know many manga, I don't have added much to my list. Hmmm....

08-01-11, 1:10 PM

I really would like to help, but I'm only 16 years old, and there are 7 months left to my birthday D:
I could be very helpful with sinopsis, characters information and answering people's questions...
Modified by RyuujinRagnar, 08-01-11, 1:16 PM

08-01-11, 6:54 PM

As for having read a lot of manga as a requirement, no, it's not really a requirement but in a position like this it is really recommended. The more you have read the more you know, and the more you know the easier it is to know what is going on in the DB. On the surface things seem cut and dry but a lot of titles have all sorts of exceptions to the standards one must figure out, or there is just very little info on a title.

Now that being said you will gain a lot of knowledge about manga and probably get interested in many more titles. I've nearly tripled the amount of titles I have read/is reading from about 270ish to 848 in the few years I've been a moderator. I have to say I've learned a lot and got into a lot of stuff I never would have otherwise if it wasn't for this position.

08-02-11, 3:35 AM

I wouldn't mind going for this, but i'm only 15... pain in the ass but what can i do. I'll just keep reading manga and see how it goes.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices