Forum Settings
Forums

Do you like on-going manga or do you prefer to wait till it finish?

New
Jul 28, 2011 2:32 AM
Jul 2010
I started reading a few manga, they are still on going, one of them have only 5 chapters, and its a pain to wait for other chapters, sometimes it takes week untill the next chapter is published, and its pretty annoying, because i always end up forgetting the storyline.

The breaks are too long and a lot of times, before reading a new chapter, i sometimes go back to a few older chapters just to remind to myself.

I think its better to wait untill the series will finish or at least to wait untill there will be like 50~ chapters.

What do you think? do you like to wait?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2011 2:35 AM

Mar 2009
I prefer reading completed manga over ongoing manga. However, if the ongoing manga already has quite a number of chapters, then I don't mind starting it.
Jul 28, 2011 2:37 AM

Jul 2010
I hardly read manga right now so I prefer to wait until it's finished but I used to buy manga so I tend to wait until the next volume is published.
I think it's best to wait if it's a monthly manga but for weekly manga's, it depends if you wanna read the new chapter each week, since I can finish a 20-page shonen jump manga in just 10-15 minutes - depends on how much dialogue there is.
Jul 28, 2011 3:08 AM

May 2011
I prefer completed ones but I always have something like 10 ongoing mangas to read as well.It's sometimes nice to wait the new chapter to come.Still, am trying to avoid ongoing stuff and not to start reading before its fully completed.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jul 28, 2011 3:12 AM

Oct 2009
Prefer completed... Nobody likes waiting that 1 week, or month for their chapters. Especially for those popular on-going shonens, I mean it takes less than 3 minutes to read a chapter (20 pages ones) so it's a real pain in the ass to tune up every week...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2011 3:52 AM

Feb 2008
I'd like to say completed manga, but I'm reading wayy too many on-going series to support that. Being able to read as many chapters as I want (for a completed series) is definitely preferred.
Jul 28, 2011 11:40 AM

Jan 2010
Well, it really depends. If I really like the series then I would kind of want it to be ongoing. Even if I have to wait for it, I continuously get more of it, kind of like an infinite amount till it is completed. If it's completed, it's finite. I know exactly how many chapters there are and how far I am into the series. But that's only if I REALLY liked the manga, like Akumetsu, Double Arts, Mx0, Pretty Face, Angel Densetsu, and some others. On the other hand, if it's completed, then you never really get to savor the moments and/or sometimes skim through it too fast to understand it completely, because you know that there are like 200 fucking chapters you gotta read. But if it's dragged out shit then I go apeshit over the fact that the plot is being ruined by one event lasting 5-7 chapters.
Jul 28, 2011 2:36 PM

Dec 2009
I like ongoing because if it's completed and it's way too long, sometimes i just give up reading it >_>
Unless is something really, really awesome. <:
Jul 28, 2011 4:08 PM

Aug 2008
There's way too much good stuff still publishing to ignore it. Hell, I've been reading Silver Diamond since 2003.. it's more like I'll be lost without it once it ends (soonish).
Jul 28, 2011 4:37 PM

Aug 2010
I'm fine with reading a series that is still going. Heck, I started One Piece when it had over 50 volumes.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jul 28, 2011 6:14 PM

Jun 2010
It depends. If a series is ongoing but slow to release it can be frustrating but also fun because when a chapter does come out you flip and go "YAY!"

On the other hand, finished series are also fun because you don't have to stop reading until the end if you want. Downside is that really long series with many chapters can be off putting to pick up.
Jul 28, 2011 6:26 PM

Jul 2010
I prefer completed, but I don't mind picking up a new ongoing manga, if there's a huge amount that's already out. It's only when you get to the up to date point where it gets annoying. It is a pain waiting a week or a month for a new chapter.
Jul 28, 2011 6:29 PM

Aug 2010
To me it doesn't really matter if a series is on-going or finished, but it is sad when you catch up to a series that is really good but have to wait a long time for the next chapter. Still I'd rather read it now if it is really good and if it's going to be one of those series that has like 50+ volumes it would be a pain to wait for so long and then read after it's finished.
Jul 28, 2011 6:39 PM

May 2011
I usually prefer manga that's finished because I hate waiting for each new chapter to come out, especially towards the end of a series; however, if it's a series with good reviews that I think I'll like but is on-going, then I'll still read it. I'll just be annoyed waiting...
Jul 28, 2011 7:44 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer completed manga but once in awhile I start ongoing manga if it has atleast 50+ chapters on its belt. I really want to read the kaichou wa maid-sama manga but I tend to wait out the romance mangas untill they've atleast 80+ chapters out
Jul 28, 2011 9:15 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer complete manga or a manga with 400+ chapters. I like to read manga slowly and would rather read alot of chapters over time rather then waiting for updates but i still read mangas with 10-100 chapters once in awile.
Jul 29, 2011 1:41 PM

Jul 2011
I don't mind reading ongoing manga. I just don't like when it doesn't get updated regularly.
Jul 29, 2011 2:47 PM
Jun 2011
I would say completed mangas unless if it has lengthy pages or chapters then I would have a head start on it.
Jul 29, 2011 2:56 PM

Apr 2008
I usually like reading completed manga more than ongoing manga, just because I like to read my manga all at once. I really don't like waiting for one chapter to come out that's only like 20 pages long, read it quickly and then have to wait again to read 20 more pages...Also usually the manga I like stay ongoing for long periods of time...years even without ever updating.
SevenJul 29, 2011 3:01 PM
Jul 29, 2011 3:05 PM

Mar 2011
Complete manga, so I don't have to get mad every time the chapter ends with a cliffhanger.
I do read ongoing manga, but I choose carefully which one I read. I make sure it's being updated regularly, or the plot is good. Because if the plot turns bad, I have no choice to continue reading it no matter what since I don't like to drop manga unless it's really really bad later on *coughBleachcoughAirGear*
Jul 29, 2011 4:27 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
anaaga said:
Complete manga, so I don't have to get mad every time the chapter ends with a cliffhanger.
I do read ongoing manga, but I choose carefully which one I read. I make sure it's being updated regularly, or the plot is good. Because if the plot turns bad, I have no choice to continue reading it no matter what since I don't like to drop manga unless it's really really bad later on *coughBleachcoughAirGear*

^agreeing on this xD

I used to add many on going but then started getting bored with the once-every-blue-moon releases so now to add a new one , it takes a lot of thinking ! But if they update regurarly , I don't mind waiting for the next chapter C:
(I should rly catch up to Air Gear but I find it so crap still that I don't get motivated 8D)
Jul 29, 2011 4:42 PM

Jun 2007
Unless I can pre-order the future volumes in English, I try to avoid starting unfinished series. I refuse to read only one chapter every week-month and I usually lose interest in on-going series, or forget what's happened--meaning I eventually need to re-read everything.
Jul 30, 2011 8:28 PM

Jul 2008
I wish I could only read finished series. It would be so much easier for me to handle and deal with. But for some reason, I end up reading ongoing ones all the time.

I actually kind of suck and have tendency to put completed series on the back burner. It does usually start like that - I just stop reading them while they're publishing and then once they're complete I end up not getting around to them very quickly. :/

BEGINNER
Jul 31, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
I prefer it to be completed when I start it.... then again 90% of the manga's I'm reading are On-going and I have to wait either a a week or a month for some to release :/ and a few on Hiatus D:
Aug 4, 2011 12:42 AM

Jan 2011
I like to catch up no matter what. Most of the ones I read are the long on-going ones.
Aug 4, 2011 12:54 AM

Aug 2010
I guess everyone likes to start reading a completed manga, including me XD some ongoing manga are really great though so I'd say it worths the wait : )
Aug 6, 2011 6:56 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I always prefer complete series. There are MANY on-going series that I'm interested in, but I try to resist and not to start too many of them... it's hard to manage reading so many different series, especially when chapters/volumes aren't released regularly.
Aug 7, 2011 5:28 AM

May 2011
Completed manga--with on-going manga, I always forget what had happened in the previous chapters, so the story is less powerful for me.
Aug 7, 2011 7:23 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I prefer on-going series. There's rarely any discussion value over a series that's already been completed over ones that release weekly.
Aug 7, 2011 7:40 AM

Aug 2009
Depends on if weekly releases or monthly, I regret reading KWMS. But the story was soooooo good.

Aug 7, 2011 10:07 AM

Jun 2011
As long as the on-going manga is being released regularly, I'll read it if it seems interesting.
Aug 7, 2011 10:15 AM

Dec 2010
So far I'm only reading Pandora Hearts, which is still ongoing. That's it at the moment.
Aug 7, 2011 10:20 AM

Oct 2007
I'm reading GE - Good Ending and Claymore ongoing. The suspense and wait is bearable to me, though I can't say the same for some of my friends ^^;
Aug 7, 2011 3:28 PM

Jul 2010
Completed manga. I hate waiting for new chapters to come out, especially when things become so interesting and compelling. I'm looking at you Gantz, and Naruto.
Aug 7, 2011 7:33 PM

Jul 2011
I definitely prefer to read completed series (usually short ones, at that). The only ongoing title I've ever followed was 'Parasyte' when it was in MixxZine, but hardly any stores carried it and my parents wouldn't get me a subscription, so I fell behind on too many chapters to enjoy it. Also, the only manga I read online is bara (which I would much rather read in print anyway -- if only!).
... and EAT IT !!
Aug 7, 2011 7:43 PM

Mar 2009
If I can go buy a physical volume of it in English (or buy it online, seeing the way Borders is going), then I honestly prefer a complete series. Or maybe near complete series, that's works too. Sure, I am collecting several ongoing series, but I think that all of the series I'm currently collecting are finished in Japan (except for Blue Exorcist, Bride's Story, Wandering Son, Ooku, maybe a couple of others here and there), at least then I know what length to expect at the end of the day, right?

If I'm following scans, I'd prefer for there to be like 1 or 2 volumes out before I start, just cus then it'll give me enough to help me determine if I like it in the first place, but then I'm good with ongoing. I dislike reading manga on my small laptop screen and prefer to read it in small chunks, so ongoing works well for me.
Aug 8, 2011 10:26 AM

Jul 2011
I really like both.
I mean, it's good when you have free time and you find a new amazing series that you can read all at once. It gives me a sense of.. accomplishment, happiness, something like this, even greater than when I finally finish one series I've been reading for 2~3 years ( or more ). I think it's probably because reading a series for such a long time, you just can't avoid missing it.
But I also like to have those few new chapters to read throughout the week. Especially and I have a hard day.
Aug 8, 2011 3:20 PM

Jun 2011
i prefer when its already finish so i can just lie on my bed reading that bad boy till i get fed up and drop it lol
Aug 8, 2011 6:09 PM

Aug 2011
either is fine with me...although it does suck to get into on then have to stop reading bc the next chapter isnt out yet

most ongoing ones i wait a couple months then read all i missed in a weekend
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/GregRocks&sclick=1">

"Gravity is just a myth. Jon Fitch is holding everything down. He's like the opposite of Atlas, he's got the world under his shoulder."
Aug 9, 2011 3:45 AM

Jun 2011
Depends if it's good enough to warrant me clinging on to next chapter. I prefer reading manga in big goes, generally.

Aug 9, 2011 12:23 PM

Feb 2010
I think that ongoing manga is more fun cuz it makes me anticipate the next chapter coming out. If it's already completed, i tend to get bored if i try to read it all at once and after a while it becomes boring to me :/ unless it's a really amazing manga.
Aug 9, 2011 12:30 PM

Aug 2011
completed, cause while a anime usually at the latest it will take a year to finish, with manga there have been many that go over a full decade till their done and even some that take longer, i mean look at gantz, its 11 years old and its only now starting to reach its final part, i say start not reaching the actual end

i could not immagine sticking to it for that long
Aug 9, 2011 3:45 PM

Aug 2010
I like to keep reading on-going mangas. If I'm not able to keep up with them for some reasons, once a month I re-cap all of them and read what i missed. I've been keeping up with some series (many actually) for about an year already, since I first discovered manga. :D
Aug 9, 2011 4:29 PM

Sep 2008
Eh, I do hate waiting for new chapters, but if a manga's fantastic, or I think it might be ending soon, I'll read it. Mostly though, I just browse finished series...
Aug 9, 2011 8:02 PM

Mar 2009
I like completed series a lot more. I don't like the current convention of scanlators releasing manga chapter by chapter; I'd much rather have it in volumes to keep the reading momentum going, and for the same experience as people who actually have the book in-hand. Releasing it in chapters is just silly. Until that becomes a convention (which I doubt will happen), I much prefer reading something completed.
Aug 9, 2011 8:12 PM

Dec 2010
I like to read completed manga but on-going even more (as long as there's at least 10 chapters already published).

Aug 9, 2011 8:27 PM
May 2011
Completed
Waiting a month for translation makes me crazy @.@
Aug 9, 2011 8:33 PM

Aug 2011
I like completed manga but I do prefer on-going ones.
The joy and excitement you feel when you find that a new chapter has been released cannot be compared. :'DDD
Aug 9, 2011 8:43 PM

Sep 2010
I prefer reading them when they are completed. Claymore is actually the only on-going manga I'm reading/have read. It's the only one I can stand to wait on the chapters for. And having it being a monthly release makes me even more impatient. XD
Aug 13, 2011 4:18 PM

Feb 2009
mappadouji said:
I like completed manga but I do prefer on-going ones.
The joy and excitement you feel when you find that a new chapter has been released cannot be compared. :'DDD

exactly! plus completing an on-going series which you followed for months or even years is way more satisfying than finishing an already completed manga
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
4 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.