Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Jul 22, 2011 9:21 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Chouji Ochiai (20th Century Boys)

MAL Character Information Page: Chouji "Otcho, Shogun" Ochiai

MAL Favorites: 47

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Chouji Ochiai was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
8 Yes - 38.0%
13 No - 61.9%

39 Don't know this character - 67.2% of the total number polled
8 Abstained - 13.7% of the total number polled
santetjanAug 2, 2011 3:35 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 22, 2011 9:26 AM

Sep 2009
As a result of having zipped through the entirety of 20CB in 3 days about 2 years ago, I don't really remember the details clearly. Oddly, I remember that I loved Shogun. I cannot for the life of me remember why. Someone please jog my memory.
Jul 22, 2011 5:55 PM

Feb 2011
Otcho.
I enjoyed it when he was a child of the gang of Kenji, Otcho was the most carefree and relaxed of the boys, and his fondness for the music at that time.
He was who created the symbol of "friend" to the gang, and suggests use biological weapons for the game.

As adult (Shogun), changing the character is so remarkable, the change was due mostly to a sad fact:

He took good job, even before and after, of "Bloody New Year's Eve"

I think the problem is that in the end, Otcho being a boy I liked, became the character you see in other stories, as the most strong, tough and serious.
Though a tough knew to use his head.
Well, after all,was an adult.

Fine character,but,like the other boys in the gang, only contributes to the development of the protagonist and history.
I said No.
nada_Jul 23, 2011 12:01 AM
Jul 23, 2011 5:54 PM
May 2010
Development of Ochiai Chouji`s character may be described, in a nut shell, as follows - pride, selfishness, neglecting other people -> personal tragedy -> expiation, dedicating whole life for a sake of better future, redemption. This scheme, if I remember well, is quite common to American superheroes, but it is not often used in M&A.

As a child, Otcho is shown as a very intelligent boy (conversation with Yamane indicates that he was cleverest in Kenji group) who comes up with “that” symbol and would never dump his friends.

In my opinion much more interesting is the first part of his adulthood. We can see that Ochiai became a classic example of a modern man who pursues a success only in his professional life, takes part in rat race and does not care for his family. After causing indirectly his son`s death, Otcho decides to start a new life and asks monk for a training. Ochiai sends his wife flowers annually at his son`s death anniversary and that means he felt sorry, but not necessarily loved her. In my opinion, Otcho married that woman only to look good, like an embodiment of success in both professional and family life – he does not remember about other anniversaries, he is not inhibited from finding new lovers (polygamy?).

Surprisingly, after a few years he is shown working for fishy men. Otcho from this period is quite brutal, gloomy and lifeless. Nevertheless, he is able to help really necessitous people, even if it will be life threatening for him. After Kenji`s call he immediately shows up in Japan.

Otcho becomes the only member of Kenji group who he gets captured after Bloody New Year`s Eve. In jail he is treated as an enemy of the system, introduced to fellow prisoners as a psychopath and monster. Fortunately, after the training with monk his psyche became incredibly strong and balanced (I would say that he became even too calm e.g. when he does not interrupt a soldier who is insulting Kanna) so he does not get any mental disorders. Ochiai does not consider neither himself nor his childhood friends as heroes able to change the world – he believes that it is high time younger generation should fill in for them. Otcho is even able to sacrifice his life to rescue Kanna.

In Friend era he still fights to reunite with his friends and destroy New World Order (^^). After shooting down Friend`s flying saucers we can see that Ochiai for all these years has tried to expier and commemorate his beloved son. However, in 21st Century Boys it is shown that Otcho still thinks that his missing has not finished yet.

Last but not least, maybe the most interesting thing - Otcho`s appearance. It is unbelievably rare in M&A that one of the main characters` looks may alter so much throughout the story. What is even more surprising that this change is happening in the middle of the 20th CB and Otcho, after becoming “a gramps”, does not go to pasture – he becomes even more active after that!

Finally, I think that it is really ironic that Otcho was the first person who was suspected of being Friend, but it also shows that even Kenji group could not predict such a development of his personality.

PS Have you heard that Urasawa received the Eisner Award for 20thCB 2 days ago?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.