MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

The iDOLM@STER Episode 3 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» The iDOLM@STER »» The iDOLM@STER Episode 3 Discussion

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
View Poll Results: The iDOLM@STER Episode 3 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

26 32.50%
4 out of 5: Liked it

23 28.75%
3 out of 5: It was OK

18 22.50%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

6 7.50%
1 out of 5: Hated it

7 8.75%
Voters: 80

07-24-11, 8:54 PM

I think i won't drop this. I actually really enjoyed this episode. Mami was sort of funny before, but she finally got a chuckle out of me this episode. Yukiho is a mixed bag, she is annoying but at the same time i sort of like her.

07-26-11, 2:56 PM

I hated Yukiho in this episode. I have very little sympathy for androphobic characters in anime, their reactions are just too annoying for me to give a flip.

07-26-11, 6:38 PM

Miki was delightful in this episode as she always is XD
And I agree with kuroshi_nazo that Yukiho was kind of annoying.

Her and Makoto's ED don't impress me much

07-27-11, 4:22 AM

I love androphobic characters. They are always put in insane situations :3

07-28-11, 12:14 AM

wow a show where the rie kugimiya character is NOT the most annoying. I can't stand the annoying scared girl. this was boring enough as is..... dropped. I guess I didn't expect much but some of the characters are really annoying.

07-28-11, 1:30 PM

annoying yukiho is annoying :/ but thankfully she made up for it by actually manning up in the end.

08-01-11, 11:55 PM

A bit disappointed in this first 3 eps. It feels catering, didn't felt natural at all. Maybe I'm hoping for a wrong development? And the music is not that great either.

>FriendTR

08-19-11, 5:17 PM

Not the best episode. After a few minutes I was like "sheesh Yukiho, get a grip already". Glad Producer managed to calm her down.
The yay part made me cringe so hard. x)

08-21-11, 12:36 PM

Guess this just isn't just my show. Will watch for Hibiki and Chihaya. 4/5.

10-12-11, 10:14 PM

kuroshi_nazo said:
I hated Yukiho in this episode. I have very little sympathy for androphobic characters in anime, their reactions are just too annoying for me to give a flip.

This.

10-27-11, 3:59 AM

kuroshi_nazo said:

Pretty much this.
I really didnt care about it that much when I was watching Working(which is the first time ive seen an androphobic character).

Now I pretty much get quite annoyed at them, pretty much having a hard time watching season 2 of Working because of that.

10-27-11, 7:46 AM

I watched this episode a long time a go but I just felt like posting this. As a Yukiho fan I am sick and tired of seeing people make judgements on her based on the fact she is a afraid of dogs and men. I don't expect you people to like Yukiho but I am sick of people bashing her based on the fact she is afraid of men. Those who call her annoying don't even know what annoying truly is. She is not an annoying character by any means. It's not like she punches anyone and besides, I have seen androphobic girls that are way worse than Yukiho on other shows so I don't understand why people think she is a bad character. Honestly episode 3 wasn't as bad as people seem to think it was. Sure she was exaggerated but it didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, especially that concert at the end. If you could at least give her a chance you would see how much character development she shows once she gets over her fear of dogs and men.

That's pretty much all I have to say.

10-27-11, 8:06 AM

blake307 said:
I watched this episode a long time a go but I just felt like posting this. As a Yukiho fan I am sick and tired of seeing people make judgements on her based on the fact she is a afraid of dogs and men. I don't expect you people to like Yukiho but I am sick of people bashing her based on the fact she is afraid of men. Those who call her annoying don't even know what annoying truly is. She is not an annoying character by any means. It's not like she punches anyone and besides, I have seen androphobic girls that are way worse than Yukiho on other shows so I don't understand why people think she is a bad character. Honestly episode 3 wasn't as bad as people seem to think it was. Sure she was exaggerated but it didn't stop me from enjoying the episode, especially that concert at the end. If you could at least give her a chance you would see how much character development she shows once she gets over her fear of dogs and men.

That's pretty much all I have to say.

I can understand your frustration. I don't think they got Yukiho right in the anime at all. She's really an extremely sweet character, but I think that most people just overlook her because of episode 3.

11-10-11, 2:40 PM

HIBIKI GANAHA

01-06-12, 12:01 PM

Yukiho was kind annoying in this episode, but
this ending was much awesome this time.

01-31-12, 12:04 AM

Yukiho's fear of men seems very vastly overdone.

Ousto said:
Miki is actually one of the younger ones, she's only 15, same age as Iori. Chihaya is 16. Yukiho, Haruka, and Makoto are 17, Takane is 18, Azusa is 21. I'm waiting patiently for an Azusa episode.

Actually, it's more like this:
older teens: Azusa, Miki, Chihaya, Takane
young teens: Makoto, Hibiki, Haruka
ten-year-olds: Iori, Yayoi, Yukiho, Ami, Mami

In terms of the way they act and look. FWIW Haruka looks about the same age as Yukiho but acts more mature than she looks.
Modified by GlennMagusHarvey, 01-31-12, 12:54 AM

05-24-12, 11:56 AM

The song was the only good thing in this episode, I'm glad, I thought I was the only one who thought that Yukiho's fear of men was annoying.

07-21-12, 2:47 AM

i like the cow!!!
[/URL]

09-02-12, 2:07 AM

To me, the characterisation is abysmal. The size of the cast is the main reason behind that, although having fewer characters wouldn't mean the writers would have been able to be better. So as to differentiate the many characters, every aspect is cliché and exaggerated.

The script is. The characters constantly remind the viewer a single trait of characterisation, to the point of no longer being realistic. Miki is sleepy, Yukiho dislikes men, Takane is pretentious, Yayoi is poor, repeat ad nauseam.

The storyboard is. Even by their postures, the characters are exaggerated. The one with a phobia of men (which can make us wonder why she was part of the group in the first place) just has to look extremely scared, the 'watakushi' one has a ridiculously bold posture, the bimbo can't help but always put her hand on her cheek, and Miki is sleeping in virtually every shot, yet another unrealistic overdone trait of characterisation.

The acting is. The seiyuu act conspicuously following a given archetype, with no subtlety, using a necessary exaggeration to differentiate the characters. If nothing else, the chosen acting archetypes fit the characters' already thin personality, but because they fit so much, they only accentuate the cliché.

As for episode 3, I was really disappointed by this character development. There was nearly no tangible trigger apart from a dialogue which had absolutely no merit. And the characterisation was so poorly executed and overdone its evolution had few chances of being interesting.

09-04-12, 8:56 AM

lpfManiak said:
To me, the characterisation is abysmal. The size of the cast is the main reason behind that, although having fewer characters wouldn't mean the writers would have been able to be better. So as to differentiate the many characters, every aspect is cliché and exaggerated.

The script is. The characters constantly remind the viewer a single trait of characterisation, to the point of no longer being realistic. Miki is sleepy, Yukiho dislikes men, Takane is pretentious, Yayoi is poor, repeat ad nauseam.

The storyboard is. Even by their postures, the characters are exaggerated. The one with a phobia of men (which can make us wonder why she was part of the group in the first place) just has to look extremely scared, the 'watakushi' one has a ridiculously bold posture, the bimbo can't help but always put her hand on her cheek, and Miki is sleeping in virtually every shot, yet another unrealistic overdone trait of characterisation.

The acting is. The seiyuu act conspicuously following a given archetype, with no subtlety, using a necessary exaggeration to differentiate the characters. If nothing else, the chosen acting archetypes fit the characters' already thin personality, but because they fit so much, they only accentuate the cliché.

As for episode 3, I was really disappointed by this character development. There was nearly no tangible trigger apart from a dialogue which had absolutely no merit. And the characterisation was so poorly executed and overdone its evolution had few chances of being interesting.

Idolm@ster's earlier episodes definitely are quite weak in comparison to some of the later one's, and this is mainly due to two main issues with the format of the show. The first being, as you mentioned, that it had to find a way to introduce 13 girls and differentiate them within a short period of time. As such, the easiest way to accomplish this was to reinforce their specific character trait so that the viewer remembers them for this. The second issue directly influences the first but is more tied into plot structure of IM@S. The format has a bit of a "snowball effect" where the latter girl's stories benefit from the more focused plot direction, whereas the earlier girl's arcs suffer from a lack of content and prior build up.

Unfortunately, Yukiho probably received the full front of this as her story suffered from a lack of any real build up to the event and the fact that not enough time was given to flesh out her character beforehand. Her phobia of men was portrayed in a far too over the top manner to actually feel believable, and coupled with her constant scared look, made it hard to not be a bit annoyed by this episode. The actual resolution to her conflict was handled nicely, but there was little build up to this moment, effectively weakening its impact.

Though Yukiho has one of my favourite singing voices in the games, I will freely admit that this was one of the show's weakest episodes (along with Hibiki's). Glancing through some of the replies while this show was airing, it seems like this may have been the episode which caused people to drop the show or assign it a lower rating. For those that are currently watching, I'd still suggest continuing along as the improved plot structure does allow for some stronger content later on.

As for lpf, I'd suggest watching a bit more before you make any definite calls on the characters. Though they are going to always be bound by their archetype, the development some of them receive is handled quite well. Make no mistake, it will never amount to anything deep or life changing, but for what it is, it's quite an achievement in my mind. In any event, the next episode is a definite step up from this one as it focuses on the character with the strongest story and receives some nice backing from the nature of the idol industry.
Modified by Don_Don_Kun, 09-04-12, 9:00 AM

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices