Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 22, 2015 7:39 PM

Nov 2014
hayato123 said:
LOOOOL!!!!
the stalkers being stalked!! :p

Jan 30, 2016 4:53 PM

Nov 2014
I guess this is where it started to go wonky.

It wasn't bad, but the logic is strange. The penguins are invisible to "ordinary people", and anything that's attached to them also goes invisible? Alright, I'll play along...

Ringo is an obsessive stalker. I wonder if the story is trying to imply that people who believe in fate are prone to delusional thinking. By comparison, Kanba, who "hates" fate", is more pragmatic.

4/5
Mar 25, 2016 7:49 AM

Aug 2014
The best thing so far are the penguins they are so funny.
Good Episode.
Jun 28, 2016 4:19 AM

Oct 2014
Wow, that was quite good actually.
Jul 4, 2016 7:57 AM

Dec 2015
The first ep was really boring, but this one was definitely better. That girl is very creepy...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 21, 2016 1:30 AM

Feb 2010
Random ass episode, but the penguins though. Killed another cockroach, think imma stick around.

Feb 9, 2017 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
LMAO the penguins, also stalking the stalking? This is great.
Apr 17, 2017 12:15 PM

Mar 2012
we're probably all wrong about the penguindrum but we'll have to see.
to be honest, i'd be a bit disappointed if it was this obvious.
Oct 6, 2017 3:56 PM

Dec 2016
Is Rock Over Japan going to play every episode? I thought that they only did that on Utena because they had to recicle scenes duo to the low bugdet
Nov 12, 2017 6:24 AM

Jan 2017
Man, that gurrrl sure was creepy!

The irony of the stalkers stalking another stalker. Priceless.

I'm kinda, i don't know how to put this but the girl.... :s

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 18, 2018 12:34 PM

Mar 2016
The brothers are really cute, especially when they go "heh? heh? heeeeehhhh???"

The penguin hat is an interesting character.

I love the penguins. They're too adorable!!

The sweet girl turned out to be quite creepy. lol!

So far, this is quite interesting. This episode mostly focused on humour, and that was kind of unexpected, because of the drama in the first episode.
Nov 12, 2018 11:47 PM

May 2015
This keeps getting more interesting
Dec 15, 2018 11:52 PM

May 2013
And here I thought that stalker girl was gonna like Shou-chan from the way she turned and looked back at him after his friend was ogling the girls out in the streets first ep lol

She kinda creepy now... ^^" Stalkers are creepy. Haha.

The penguins are suuuuuuch well-made characters lololol. They're so cute and funny xD
May 17, 2019 3:18 AM

Nov 2013
stalker-ception. Man i hate that type of girls in anime/manga.
Jul 29, 2019 8:06 AM

Aug 2017
Another amazing episode with tons of visual information. The connection to Tokyo subway sarin attack is now 100% certain - Himari tells Shouma and Kanba to board the train at 8:10 AM and find the girl in the third car. The sarin attack ended at the exact same time - at 8:10 - and the train with sarin was stopped by the passenger in the third car. I'm now just watching the show with a map of Tokyo subway opened for the reference :D
Other observations:
- Ringo has a keychain with a penguin attached on her phone.
- Penguin imagery is everywhere in the city.
- The transformation sequence seems to be repetitive (just like in Utena, underlining that Ikuhara loves repetition), and I love it a lot.
- Each member of the Takakura family has his own penguin which seems to correspond to his character (for instance Kanba's is more brave and reckless than Shouma's, and it sometimes repeats the actions of its "host" - Kanba's penguin as sleeping with him)
- Ringo her friends were introduced in ep.1 during a scene with Shouma and his classmate.
- Ringo's diary has 2 fish/dragons on it, it sure means something. I also wonder what's written there, if it's relevant.
- The twin girls seem to be some characters that Himari likes, and they perform a role similar to the shadow girls in Utena.
- Ringo's name means "apple", which commonly symbolises sin. Or, according to the boys in ep.1, "Apple" means "the universe" and connects our world to the world of the dead. It is a gift to those who sacrifice their life in the name of love. These lines are referencing Kenji Miyazawa's "Night on the galactic railroad", which seems to be an influence on Ikuhara. Miyazawa is also mentioned in the program about wild birds Ringo and Tabuki are listening to.

I also wonder whether each subway station mentioned in the episode matters something. Not all of them seem to reference the sarin attack.
St0rmbladeJul 29, 2019 8:21 AM
Aug 20, 2019 10:47 PM

Aug 2018
What in the world is Ringo up to. The weirdness continues.
Apr 9, 2020 3:58 PM

Dec 2019
So she a stalker, i knew something weird was going on with her.
                                                         đź–¤   

Aug 13, 2020 6:22 PM

Jan 2020
How normal are those holes that go beneath houses? I've only ever seen them in Japanese media.
Jul 14, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2020
Penguin Drum can be said to be "something that can cure Himari's disease", and it's something that allows the Takakura brothers to accept the imperfection of the current situation. In this sense, Ringo's Penguin Drum is her diary. And we can say that Ringo was like the Takakura brothers, especially in the first half of this episode. For her the elusive goal is the teacher, and for the Takakura brothers it's Himari's health. Though this episode softly shows these, the way the Takakura brothers seek Penguin Drum instead keeps them away from Himari, as if Ringo stalking the teacher instead keeps her away from the teacher. Besides, the penguins look like the split of the three Takakura, but exactly what was split from them remains unknown, and we need to watch more episodes.

Aug 25, 2021 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Ringo's last scene did blow my mind... I was obsessive with someone when very young (besides being ashamed of telling so), but I never stalked this person neither thought in doing so; everything Ringo did passes beyond any limits; she's sick, I mean, she also risked her life just to impress a teacher, who she has no significant closeness.

p.s.: the same teacher works as a kind of 'connection' here, as he was the one who called Himari about her brothers (who are far from school, home and their own sister whose life they really wish to save and can take any risk for) and the one who Ringo stalks fanatically... Is this just coincidence or not?
removed-userAug 25, 2021 7:36 PM
Apr 25, 2022 5:34 PM

Feb 2021
That was fun. So much to take in at the same time
Jun 20, 2022 5:32 PM

Sep 2014
This show is getting even better! Double stalking scenes are always funny but this had a sudden twist since she is serious about it.

Also all that penguin action!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 2, 2022 9:36 PM

Sep 2017
The girl on the train was easy. Falling for such an excuse just because a handsome man tells her sweet nothings.

I like the blue haired guy more than the red haired guy.

Also yandere alert. Let's see if ethics wins or not

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 17, 2023 7:56 AM
Aug 2022
This is absolutely gorgeous.
Didn't expect an anime from 12 years ago and has no recommendation on youtube or any platform at all to be this good.

The sceneries, mood, art-style, and jokes are outstanding.

Anyway, AYO RINKO WHAT ARE U DOING DOWN THERE???
Jan 15, 4:48 PM

Nov 2022
This can be best described as eccentric. I liked that it was much more straightforward than the previous episode, though a bit shallow plotwise. The control it has on its tone makes it such a cool experience and the comedy bits were hilarious too.
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Jul 2016
"Which holes do her legs go through?"
"Fool, those holes lead to the cosmos."
The good boy-bad boy dynamic of the brothers is absolute gold.

Ringo starting off with a positive and wholesome 'I love the word "fate".' monologue only for the last scene with her to nosedive into depravity is morbidly hilarious ngl.
Apr 12, 11:17 PM
Feb 2015
Suspenseful episode
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 15, 2011

168 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.