Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2011 9:54 AM

Nov 2008
This thread is al about the latest work by Kunihiko Ikuhara, Mawaru Penguindrum.

Just in case you don't know what Kunihiko Ikuhara is all about, then expect symbolism, a lot of it. This is generally combined with non-standard sexual relationships such as incest, BL or yuri, and Penguindrum doesn't look like it's going to be any different. His works generally leave a lot to discuss between the meaning of the symbolism, and in Penguindrum's case, the topic of fate.

It might be a little hard to discuss at first, but please talk about this series in any way you like.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 16, 2011 8:30 PM

Apr 2008
I've been thinking about the apple symbolism from episode 2. Am I correct in believing that Ringo is Japanese for apple? Apples are often used to represent forbidden knowledge. Could Ringo, who has absolute faith in fate and supposedly possesses the penguindrum, have the forbidden knowledge of what is fated to occur, as it seems from her diary? Is that the penguindrum? Will possessing the knowledge of fate alone be enough to change it? So far it doesn't seem that way, and I really look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Then there is the (so far only hinted) incestuous relationship/feelings of Kanba. Could part of his denial and hatred of fate due to the fact that he was born as the brother of the person he loves?

I'm also curious about the stars - do they function like the roses of Utena, pointing important things out and embellishing important dialogue, characters, and symbols with flashing lights for our sake, or are they there to artistically emphasize the more child-like/innocent/bright outer mood of the series?

I also look forward to seeing what this show has to offer symbolically, as Ikuhara has yet to disappoint me. With only two episodes though, it's hard to pick out from the background, and I have a lot more questions than theories at the moment.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk: should it be on the Anime / Manga list for this club?

EtherealMerc - Aug 26, 2009

6 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 12:21 AM

» Discussions on the Fractale System

Rosa_FOEtida - Feb 16, 2011

2 by _laz_ »»
Jul 14, 2011 8:30 AM

» Melancholic God

Kaiserpingvin - Feb 2, 2008

12 by m4rc0 »»
Mar 12, 2011 7:40 PM

» Mandatory Madoka Magica Musings Messageboard

Rosa_FOEtida - Feb 16, 2011

17 by m4rc0 »»
Mar 12, 2011 12:31 AM

» Death of Anime-Economics Discussion ( 1 2 )

YoungVagabond - Dec 14, 2009

57 by m4rc0 »»
May 30, 2010 5:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.