Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2014 3:00 AM

Aug 2013
I wouldn't call the story creepy, more like disturbing but it's enough to send shivers down your spine.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 1, 2014 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
So... i am cursed now huh?
Gg fml -.-

Love the ed btw.
Sep 16, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2013
Horror in the 19th century /=/ Modern horror.

Horror in the past was meant to be disgusting, ugly, and chaotic.
Modern horror makes use of fear, nervousness, and anxiety.

You guys are morons
Jun 12, 2015 5:16 PM
Feb 2011
Loved how he died.
Other than that, kinda overage and boring story overall.
Jun 15, 2015 12:19 AM

Sep 2014
insan3Inquisitor said:
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Death by rats = DISGUSTING.

Although the monologue about self-fulfilling prophecy was interesting, turning a fictional narrative into a documentary isnt very entertaining and breaks the tempo. A lot of anime fans probably dont notice because they're too busy reading subs, but there are a lot of instances in anime where the story essentially stops and turns into a montage of slow pans of inanimate objects, or of locations, while a voice over just rambles endlessly on, providing exposition, and then afterwards in the episode thread its praised for finally "explaining the story" or "providing character development".

Anime writers = STOP IT.

Ironically, it was this last episode that was the only one that succeeded in pulling me in on any level. The rest of it, like others in this thread have already stated, was a very under developed revenge plot line and just random murders over and over. The possibility of the curse existing because of people wanting it to is so much more interesting than the actual story.

My thoughts exactly.
Dec 12, 2016 4:06 PM

Jan 2012
A fitting end for him , but he was a strong samurai

Mar 19, 2017 7:40 AM

May 2016
Was it because I watch a lot of horror anime ta find this average at best or was it like that in the first place? The execution was underwhelming ta say the least and the generic revenge plot wasn't done as well as numerous other revenge anime out there.

Just rewatched Ratatouille earlier this morning and I lol'd when those rats ate Okuma and Iemon.

Old dude explained slightly interesting stuff about his cursed play in a very visually and atmospherically out-of-place style for most of the ep. Oiwa-san being mad at Whatishisname IV reminds me of someone who apologizes to his waifu for thinking lewd thoughts xD I think I should've watched Mononoke instead kek. I got cursed because of this,,, I hope it gets better~

Dec 2, 2018 11:19 PM

Jul 2017
Jan 9, 2019 5:00 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm more kept out by the aftermath of the story than the story itself, all that talk about the adaptations if the story that had the people involved either killed or injured. I don't know what to feel about the writer at the end telling Oiwa to cures him instead of the others.
That piece of shit Iemon deserted every bite from those rats, even after that, I kind of feel sorry of the guy that killed him to avenge his loved ones, he is just going to live with that until he's dead.
As a starter arc, great story, even though the characters were kind of hard to keep up with, some of them were really tought out and well-written, they made me want to rewatch “The Last Samurai” for some reason.
May 14, 2020 4:26 AM

Dec 2009
The concept of the story of a ghost wife taking revenge and cursing her husband is cool but fuck was this mediocre.

I don't know if it could have been better if the horror and quality along with the foundation of the main characters was better built but man, what a waste of time.
Terrible recommendation I got.

I didn't care at all about the old man's narration either. The story is already boring as it is.
... Hopefully Bakuneko and Monoke is good from what was suggested. 4/10.
Aug 17, 2020 4:34 PM

Aug 2017
I liked the way the story was complemented by a little documentary about this classic tale. To everybody complaining: maybe the story is "boring" because it actually started everything or at least was early enough to inspire other ones? :p Also, in a horror story, the characters are scared and that's enough. You might not be.

Many developments in the story looked like "jump cuts", but it was still okay.

That Ryunosuke Akutagawa visit was totally random though.
St0rmbladeAug 17, 2020 4:41 PM
May 11, 2021 1:59 AM

May 2020
Well that was lame. A terribly executed boring mess.
Oct 18, 2022 12:36 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
Alright this episode was def the best out of the 4 (and probably out of the series too since i've seen the second arc) so far.
Thank god he suffered a gruesome death LMAO stabbed and eaten by rats alive at the same time. Good riddance. But his suffering should have been never-ending. Despicable man. Yoshichi (? mvp
"curses only exist because the audience wants them to" true as hell, audiences keep curses alive and we see this all the time with conspiracy theories etc

Ston3_FreeN7 said:

Ironically, it was this last episode that was the only one that succeeded in pulling me in on any level. The rest of it, like others in this thread have already stated, was a very under developed revenge plot line and just random murders over and over. The possibility of the curse existing because of people wanting it to is so much more interesting than the actual story.

same

Nov 27, 2022 6:51 AM

Feb 2017
An adult man getting disowned by his father, lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - May 13, 2009

59 by alpo42ab »»
Apr 15, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Episode 1 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Nov 17, 2009

32 by Ittan_Momen »»
Oct 10, 2023 6:30 PM

Poll: » Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Episode 8 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 26, 2010

33 by Ittan_Momen »»
Oct 7, 2023 9:30 PM

Poll: » Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Jun 22, 2008

29 by Ittan_Momen »»
Sep 15, 2023 8:50 PM

Poll: » Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Episode 9 Discussion

Beatnik - Jun 22, 2008

29 by Lycan »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.