Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2011 2:38 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I never got the wine obsession. How are grapes any more indicative of a place's culture than other fruits? Never knew why alcoholic apple juice or orange juice didn't take off like that.

Still a good episode. It was a lot like one of the stories from Mushishi, where a winemaker and his son accidentally brew the best batch only one time, then spent their lives trying to recreate it. The execution was just as good here.

I don't see why they couldn't have built a steel factory nearby to facilitate mass production, while keeping the classical method for niche markets. That's how most businesses work: either using mass-appeal stuff to earn money for their preferred work, or using acclaimed products to bolster a mainstream reputation.
Jul 17, 2011 5:55 AM

Sep 2008
I just saw Transformers 3d today and I have to say that this episode was far better than that 2.5 hour crap. I'm not into wines and stuff, but I loved this episode a lot. Among the better episodes this far.

PS: That violin BGM is really excellent.

Luthimal said:

I don't see why they couldn't have built a steel factory nearby to facilitate mass production, while keeping the classical method for niche markets.

They could do that, but I guess they were shorthanded and in debt. Opening another facility would've required extra costs, manpower, land etc etc.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 16, 2012 4:49 AM
Aug 2010
This was one of the best anime episodes I ever watched

Apr 11, 2015 12:03 PM

Aug 2011
I didn't enjoy this episode so much because I can't see why they wouldn't modernize especially considering that they are in debt. Newer methods don't just produce more but are incredibly more efficient. I think I have a tendency of being put-off when people romanticize the past. Considering all that, I was annoyed that the wife was presented as the villain this episode because she should totally be in charge of that business.

And if this story took place around when the manga was published, at over 40 years old that wine should have already reached its peak by this episode and been on its way to being stale. Only 1% of wine is meant to be consumed past 5 years of aging. And of these even fewer are meant to be consumed past 20 years.
Sep 28, 2015 12:31 AM

Mar 2008
A very pleasant episode - by all rights, Keaton shouldn't even have been in it. I suppose he's a prime example of a true insertion point.

The almost garrish-purple grape earrings were interesting to see.
Nov 3, 2018 4:20 AM

Jul 2008
Well this one really has no resolution does it?
Dec 23, 2019 1:45 AM

Jan 2015
My favorites episode Master Keaton

Jun 20, 2020 12:52 PM

Jun 2007
a nice episode even though it's unclear how they are in debt if their wine is still the best in the area. and the woman was unreasonable with hating the butler (their vineyard's everything), her husband (wut? he saved yo ass & yo land tho??) and the traditional wine-making which her parents dedicated their lives to. they were adults and chose what to do in life, it's nonsense to pity them, view them as victims and be so bitter and hateful over nothing. it's also unfair that she didn't want to consider her husband's feelings... oh right.. she hates him. anyways i believe there is always a third option you just have to look harder.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Mar 18, 2021 11:14 AM

Feb 2012
The second historical episode in a row, and a good one. I had given up on seeing more historical episodes in this series, so I'm delighted they returned right at the end. I strongly suspect these and the mysteries were written by a different person, there's such a big difference in storytelling and also Keaton's character.
Mar 18, 2021 4:26 PM

Dec 2019
Keaton didnt really do anything yet still gets to sip on that expensive wine. He's literally the personification of the phrase "Being in the right place at the right time"
Oct 19, 2021 9:20 PM

Jun 2010
TropicaliaSoup said:
And if this story took place around when the manga was published, at over 40 years old that wine should have already reached its peak by this episode and been on its way to being stale. Only 1% of wine is meant to be consumed past 5 years of aging. And of these even fewer are meant to be consumed past 20 years.

This show is very surface-level about details like that. Hence a simplistic "tradition vs. modernization" story instead of the nuance you suggest. The whole "my life for my craft!" thing is also very Japanese; the notion that the loyal butler cares only for the wine and apparently nothing for the family sliding into bankruptcy doesn’t sound very European. Keeping the estate as patrimony would be extremely important. This story acts like they're a family of winemakers rather than landholding gentry.

I have to mention the shot of Keaton pouting like a child at the business meeting. I laughed.
FronzelOct 19, 2021 9:45 PM
Dec 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Feb 2020
The favorite episode indeed. I keeps getting better and better. The wine did indeed move me
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

More topics from this board

» I like what I see but doesn't this show feel a tad boring?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
Today, 7:19 AM

» Does its anime include ova fully adapt manga till the end ?

ISeeLifePeople - Jan 30

1 by JX-78-2 »»
Jan 30, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 24 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 11, 2011

10 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 14, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 3, 2009

17 by A1E1BA »»
Jan 7, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Master Keaton Episode 19 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 5, 2011

12 by Rui_Rei »»
Nov 27, 2023 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.