Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 1, 2013 3:27 PM
Dec 2012
I don't see this as an anti-war film more then I see it as being an anti-selfish film, if the MC just swallowed his pride and said sorry to his aunt and started helping out, none of this would even have happened. I'm pretty sure the author even stated that this wasn't supposed to be an anti-war film, but about how rebellious and selfish teenagers are now a days and how we should respect our elders. I don't know those are my two cents on it, but alas I did shed some manly tears.
Apr 2, 2013 6:55 PM

Dec 2012
I didn't feel a thing throughout the whole movie. Guess I'm a 100% sure I'm as cold as ice now.
Apr 6, 2013 4:18 AM

Sep 2012
I actually just watched this last night/early this morning as part of a Studio Ghibli fest on one of my local film channels. I also watched it in Japanese. I'm not sure if there was a dub, it might have been only subbed like Only Yesterday.

I cried, and I'm still left with a depressing feeling even now. Tears were falling at various points in the film-specifically when the children were crying (I'm not a big kid person in real life but children crying in Ghibli films gets to me, I even choke up at My Neighbour Totoro!), but I really started sobbing when Setsuko offered Seita the 'rice balls' she made, and then when she dies I lost it.

I think part of the reason is because Ghibli are so good with emotion and imagery, but I think it's also because of the reality of the film, this really did happen to people in wartime/post-war Japan, and that is saddening. So to say, for example, that you "yawned" through the film is something I find pretty disrespectful, considering this is a semi-true story, and depicts something which is essentially horrific. I'm glad I cried, because I think if an anime was able to make me feel and think like that, then that's pretty damn impressive.

Each to their own, but to me, this film is thought-provoking, upsetting and depressing, but it is also poignant and beautiful.
May 25, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
I felt nothing, since when was documentaries in anime (rhetrical). It's honestly not sad, people die when they die, get over it.
May 29, 2013 6:03 PM

Jun 2012
SlothNamakemono said:
I felt nothing, since when was documentaries in anime (rhetrical). It's honestly not sad, people die when they die, get over it.

PEOPLE DIE WHEN THEY DIE?!?!

NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS WTF!
May 29, 2013 6:13 PM

Aug 2010
I didn't really cry, it definitely was a depressing movie though.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was sadder for me.
Jun 2, 2013 12:50 PM

Jun 2011
I felt depressed and empty, but no tears.
Jun 16, 2013 11:31 AM

Dec 2011
I was pretty much teared up throughout the whole movie, didn't physically cry though. Really feeling depressed and a bit empty afterwards. This is without a doubt one of the most real feeling movies I've ever seen. That in contrast to the awful life they have to live really hits a person hard. So end feelings are a mixture of catharsis and emptiness. This might be the only masterpiece that I'll only ever want to see once.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2013 11:36 AM

May 2010
just like how i felt after watching The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Jun 17, 2013 6:00 PM

Mar 2012
to be honest no i didn't cry. truly a masterpiece tho.
Jul 19, 2013 12:33 PM

Nov 2011
ss4gojetanks said:
I heard from many reviews that everyone would start bawling their eyes out after watching this film, so I put it on my Netflix queue. My sister watched it first and cried... alot... My mom (who never watch anime, ever, at all) watched it next and she cried a bit.

I felt sad at the end when Setsuko died, but no tears. I got the "eye squinting" sad feeling. After telling that to my family members, they said that I was cold and emotionless >.>

So, I just started this thread to see how you guys felt after watching the movie. I added a poll too.

I didn't even find it depressing, to be honest. And I cry a lot on every shitty series I watch... It might sound weird but i have my explanation for this.

The movie was too realistic, but not in terms of emotions. - I don't think the movie was supposed to be a tearjerker. It has more of a documentary feel to it (like when you watch survival shows on Discovery) and for this reason I was unable to sympathize with the characters... They did not show any signs of depression, only momentarily panic, I would say. In fact, I found them both to be very optimistic and powerful. I can't say I felt pity because the brother was just awesome, he never really lost his cool, nor give in to emotions. There were plenty happy moments. The occasional deaths we have seen were in no way shocking or unexpected.
And unltimately... the death of Setsuko didn't build up too much emotions. She had always been a helpless little kid, something bad was to be expected + she never was too coherent as to clearly build her character and be able to actually care about her... she was just cute but cuteness alone isn't much of a heartbreaker.
Aug 17, 2013 3:54 PM
Oct 2011
Watched it with my daughter and had to walk out of the room 'for a tissue'. Actually I was sobbing and I didn't want her to see me do this.
And no I did not feel depressed just very sad.
Aug 25, 2013 5:20 PM

Dec 2012
A Bit Sad / Mildly Depressed (your vote)

I really like this movie and thought it was beautiful and compelling, but all of the things I've heard about it for so long were blown way out of proportion. Everywhere I went I'd see

"cried from dusk to dawn"
"I became an empty shell for a week"
"I hate living"
"I fell into depression for a month"
etc etc

I found it sad, but not life changing tragic.
Oct 12, 2013 7:05 PM

Aug 2012
Cried so hard I threw up, because I was trying so hard not to start wailing. Nothing has ever made me feel the way this movie did, and the only things that come close are "Dancer in The Dark" and "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas"", though that movie more just left me open-jawed, saying "wtf" over and over because it was so F*cked up. My friend had told me to see this one, but I was nowhere in the realm of prepared for what ensued. I know he said it was very damn sad, but that is such an understatement it's ridiculous. I wish I had been warned a bit better, and not had to experience that with someone else who I'd rather not have seen me in that state. It was just.....he finally got them food....and ugh >.< I don't even want to think about it.
Oct 12, 2013 7:06 PM

Oct 2013
As the movie goes on and you think more and more about what the characters were going through and put yourself in their shoes it hits you harder and harder!

If these were your children... your sister...brother...

After the movie I was walking around scratching my head going what the ****! for the next few hours. I had to go out and do something fun just to snap out of it.

I think if you keep an emotional distance to the characters and look at it simply as a cartoon you will miss out on so much of what this movie is about!
Oct 12, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
Morridine said:
The movie was too realistic, but not in terms of emotions. - I don't think the movie was supposed to be a tearjerker. It has more of a documentary feel to it (like when you watch survival shows on Discovery) and for this reason I was unable to sympathize with the characters... They did not show any signs of depression, only momentarily panic, I would say. In fact, I found them both to be very optimistic and powerful. I can't say I felt pity because the brother was just awesome, he never really lost his cool, nor give in to emotions. There were plenty happy moments. The occasional deaths we have seen were in no way shocking or unexpected.
And unltimately... the death of Setsuko didn't build up too much emotions. She had always been a helpless little kid, something bad was to be expected + she never was too coherent as to clearly build her character and be able to actually care about her... she was just cute but cuteness alone isn't much of a heartbreaker.

I couldn't have said it better, 'cause I didn't cry too.
sakaOct 22, 2013 10:29 PM
<3
Oct 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Apr 2009
Morridine said:
I didn't even find it depressing, to be honest. And I cry a lot on every shitty series I watch... It might sound weird but i have my explanation for this.

Thank you! This was exactly how I felt but I could never put it into words. Everyone would just write me off once I would say it's a war movie and war movies were meant to be like that.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Mar 21, 2014 9:20 AM

Aug 2013
Nope didn't even feel sad. Was just left with an annoyed feeling cause it was so over-hyped for being the saddest thing ever and makes you cry so much you will be depressed for weeks afterwards. Bullshit.
May 16, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2013
You guys have no hearts. I cried like a baby, and I'm proud I did. This is the saddest story I have ever had the pleasure to watch. I'm never going to be the same again after watching this. The death of Setsuko is heartbreaking... I wanted a happy ending god dammit :'(
May 23, 2014 8:51 PM
Nov 2012
I dunno... I didn't really cry during this movie. The opening for the movie kind of spoiled the end for me. I already knew that Seita was going to die, and it was implied that Setsuko was going to die as well after seeing her ashes fall out of the can. It just frustrating to see him refuse to put their lives above his pride when they had the chance to return to their aunt's house at any time. Even after he saw her ribs at the doctor's office, nothing changed. The movie felt like a waiting game to see when Setsuko was finally going to die. If I hadn't known from the beginning of the ending, it probably would have had a bigger impact on me.
Jun 7, 2014 2:02 PM

Apr 2014
Literally cried for half of the movie, bawling my eyes out...

but i doubt that it will be the same now, afterall I first saw this years ago...
Jul 5, 2014 10:33 AM

Jan 2012
I watched the movie some time ago so I'm not sure anymore but surprisingly I don't think I cried...
Don't really know why even though I usually cry so easily watching stuffs...
Jul 25, 2014 3:27 AM

May 2014
I watched this movie when I was about 6 and I cried so much. I watched it again few months ago and started to cry in the first 20 seconds of the movie.
Aug 14, 2014 10:54 PM

Jan 2012
I watched it at like just before midnight to about 1.30 ish. Everyone else had gone to bed while I was watching it. It was a nice movie, not "nice" as in kind, but a nice, like decent but not that terrible decent.

I got a little watery eyed at the start of the movie, but I soon was able to dry them and watch it. Towards the end, I started getting a bit watery eyed. Then when she died a little more. Then as it did those flashes of her when she was a live it started to build up, and I lost it when she was playing rock-paper-scissors with herself in the water. I was crying and all that.

But now after it ended and I've been able to calm down now I'm much better, so it's not much of a cry all night one, however I don't know if I'll be able to think hard on the rock-paper-scissors scene for a little while at least.

I think though had I watched it maybe in the day with people around, I might not have cried like I did, maybe a tear.

There's just something about the movie where, I'm not sure how to put it into words. It's like it keeps you at an arm's length.

I can't say I'll ever watch it again, but there you have it.
Aug 26, 2014 11:13 AM
Nov 2013
No i didn't cry at all but it was a beautiful movie.
Sep 5, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2014
Wow, i cant describe that i feel watching this, It simply perfect. Oh my god.
10/10
Sep 11, 2014 11:40 AM

Jan 2008
No, I didn't. I didn't even enjoy it that much. I felt bad for the little girl, but that's about it.
I watched it alone, if that makes a difference.

Also, this is NOT an anti-war movie. People have been misunderstanding the movie's message for decades. Not even an interview with the creator managed to set things right.
Sep 18, 2014 10:47 AM
Sep 2010
It made me cry, war is terrible.

I understand that the message is supposed to be that the deaths were the boy's fault for not following that farmer's advice and swallowing his pride. However he is like 12 and lost his mother, you can't blame him for trying and failing to live with his sister. Their story is tragic.

I thought their struggle to find happiness in such a bleak world was noble.
Sep 18, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2013
I cried bathtubs of tears! I´m always quick to cry, I´m just weak like that. Hohohohoho!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2014 9:44 AM

Jun 2012
No I didnt cry. I didnt find it to be that sad to be honest.
Sep 30, 2014 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
It was boring as fuck so no I didn't cry nor feel sad.
Sep 30, 2014 2:14 PM

Sep 2014
I bawled my tears out for shure!

"If you feel like crying you shouldn't hold back your tears.
You should let it all out while you still can.. because when you get bigger sometimes you can’t cry even if you have something to cry about."
- Okazaki Tomoya (Clannad After Story)
Nov 23, 2014 11:13 AM

Nov 2014
It was one of the best movies i ever saw and i never want to see it again
Dec 6, 2014 2:30 AM

Jan 2013
It was inevitable, their deaths, that is. Why would I cry?
Dec 10, 2014 3:09 AM

Sep 2013
I teared up a few times but what really got me crying were the last ten minutes. Specifically the montage of Setsuko running around and the music during the credits were what did me in.
Dec 13, 2014 2:25 PM

Jul 2014
Yes.
Dec 17, 2014 7:42 AM

Apr 2012
No offense, but this movie should be more aptly named "an approach to lead your own sister to death during wartime".

I am not being a jerk. The boy clearly had too much pride in his meritocratic status for his own good, so much pride and nativity that his sister's death could almost be solely blamed on him, other accidental situations aside.

DmonHiro said:
I ddin't. Wasn't even sad, because all the misery was caused by his stupid pride. All I felt was anger.
Exactly, and the worst thing is, the boy never realized that his own pride is causing most of the harm. He went under minimal character development.

His emotions for his sister is genuine though.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 18, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2009
i was on my period so i was already crying even before and i must say the movie didnt help stopping the tears ._.
Apr 16, 2015 5:31 AM

Apr 2013
I didn't find it sad at all because it was predictable
Apr 23, 2015 12:05 PM
Nov 2014
i have a little sister myself and im imagening that it would be the 2 of us.. that's a scare thought
Jun 8, 2015 1:59 PM

Mar 2013
Nope, but it left me feeling awful inside.
Jun 10, 2015 12:41 PM
Mar 2015
Yes,I cried ...I cried more than I thought,I would.Tears came rushing down my eyes.The more I thought about stopping ,the more the sight of Setsuko playing and laughing came infront of my eyes...The movie left me with a hole in my heart.I guess those with sisters here probably would be able to relate to my feelings.The very thought of placing me as Seita and my sister as Setsuko is the most painful thought I could ever have...This is the saddest thing I've ever watched :'(
Jun 15, 2015 9:02 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
It was a bit sad. It was kinda depressing too.

Jun 21, 2015 8:48 PM
Jun 2010
cry? i was destroyed.
Jul 10, 2015 9:41 PM

Apr 2015
lllllllll said:
I didn't find it sad at all because it was predictable

Well, the first line of the movie was the MC saying that he died. I was expecting them to die so but his little sister death got me and I cried like a little baby but I felt hanger at the same time because he could have saved her if he had swallow his pride. But yeah, he's only 12 years old.
Jul 23, 2015 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
I thought I was good, I was tearing up, but the scene was almost over. So the credits started to roll, and I turn to my sister.

Tears were running down her face.

I've never seen her cry at any movie.

I lost it after that, I bawled. I never bawled at a movie before. (Although I usually don't watch movies like this for that very reason)

So yeah, I'm going to be depressed for a while. I can't believe they showed families that in theater's after My Neighbor Totoro! What a complete mood whiplash! ;_;
Oct 24, 2015 6:32 PM

Dec 2013
I think it made me quite depressed and quite frustrated about some stuff. I actually teared up because of the sad background music and the flashes the memories of Setsuko in their shelter. Really feel sad for Setsuko.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Nov 22, 2015 12:52 PM
Jan 2012
I cried for Setsuko, but not for her brother. I felt pity, but the little girl simply followed her brother who waited to the last minute (because they had that money all along and he waited forever to get her food???) to try and save her. She suffered a terrible death when she cold of been with her aunt or at least well fed. The boy's foolishness killed both of them, but I felt for Setsuko because she had no hand in it.
Nov 22, 2015 12:55 PM
Nov 2009
I felt disgusted. I prefer Totoro.
Dec 16, 2015 1:27 PM

Aug 2009
koreye said:
xahjun said:

I was wondering why nobody thinks like this. Okay, it's sad indeed. I feel sorry for Setsuko, but not really much on Seita. I just don't understand that if he really cares about his little sister, why not just swallow his pride? ALSO, if he HAS PRIDE, why does he still going around stealing things? I mean, when there's an air raid, he went around houses knowing it's deserted to steal things, and there's a part showing he's very very happy about being able to steal things DURING the air raid itself. It looks like he's happy to steal it successfully, which doesn't look like he have any pride in him. It's very low of him in my aspect(I know when it comes to life and death, doing this may be because there's no other waya, BUT there IS a better option... which is apologise).

All in all, the reason why this movie doesn't made me feel very depress was because it's very conflicting for me. Isn't it worst to be doing something against your pride everyday, with a chance of being caught and punished, than just go against your pride once and secure his little sister's life/stomach? Also stealing isn't against his pride but apologising does? I believe if one love or care about another person a lot, wouldn't he do anything to help that person? But.. okay I shall stop here, or else I'm getting more and more confuse and blur.

lol, none of what you guys said makes any sense whatsoever. What he did make perfect sense because he was just a boy, and he did not understand the effects of his decisions clearly being a minor child, and going through a traumatic experience like watching his own mother die after being burnt horribly, and not knowing where his own father was at that time made things harder. And he certainly did not expect his sister to die like that so easily. His actions make sense for a boy of his age who has had to depend on his parents for everything up until that time.
For the record, this anime is based on an actual semi-autobiographical account which the writer wrote as an apology to his own sister who died in the War.
Technominator's review for this was the best, and it clearly explained this aspect, because this was already criticized by some people in the forum, and especially in the review by YoungVagabond. She summed up the whole thing perfectly, but unfortunately she deleted all her reviews in what some people call 'a fit of emoness'.

Seita is supposed to be 14. I think his big enough to understand the consecuences of his actions.
Kids aren't stupid, you know.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hotaru No Haka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakyuu-addict - Nov 28, 2008

313 by WeebAngo »»
Mar 8, 5:18 AM

» Useful for learning the Kansai dialect (J-subs)

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

18 by theSporz »»
Jan 17, 5:58 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

24 by ToufiqHassan »»
Nov 17, 2023 4:26 AM

» I don't think I'll ever re-watch this movie. ( 1 2 )

Abyque - Sep 13, 2022

51 by Lungitar90 »»
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM

Poll: » Seita

Neo2425 - Jan 1, 2023

19 by Saytr »»
Jan 13, 2023 3:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.