Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2011 11:13 PM

Apr 2009
I heard from many reviews that everyone would start bawling their eyes out after watching this film, so I put it on my Netflix queue. My sister watched it first and cried... alot... My mom (who never watch anime, ever, at all) watched it next and she cried a bit.

I felt sad at the end when Setsuko died, but no tears. I got the "eye squinting" sad feeling. After telling that to my family members, they said that I was cold and emotionless >.>

So, I just started this thread to see how you guys felt after watching the movie. I added a poll too.
ss4gojetanksJul 1, 2012 10:10 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2011 11:21 PM

Mar 2009
I yawned... oh wait.. I was yawning throughout the whole movie so maybe I fell asleep at the end.
Jul 8, 2011 11:25 PM

Oct 2010
It was Ok. But I Didnt Cry :P
Jul 10, 2011 3:06 AM
May 2010
Well, I didn't exactly 'cry,' but there was definitely a sense of utter depression. I couldn't call it out as 'morbid' for presenting such a tragic ending, as it was very realistically done, and the actions of Seita were not ridiculous or nonsensical enough to be exaggerating, which is often what 'morbid' and 'emo' are. Depressing is realistic.
Sep 6, 2011 5:54 AM

Aug 2010
Voted for mildly depressed. The results of the MC's actions notwithstanding I think the consequences of war was portrayed well, I "enjoyed" that aspect, it was depressing, what I was looking for. Some shows made me bawl my eyes out, but this didn't even got me close to blurry vision.
Sep 6, 2011 5:56 AM
Mar 2011
LIke a baby
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 6, 2011 7:54 PM

Aug 2010
We watched this in class and there were quite a few people crying afterwards. It was soooo sad!! TT^TT Such a good movie!
Sep 9, 2011 3:51 AM

Nov 2009
I did not cry but I had a pretty awful feeling. I felt even worse after watching this than most anime I've cried during, which is odd.

I think the reason for this being there was no cheap cry moment in this movie. It was all just presented, as if objectively.. It's hard to describe.
Sep 23, 2011 11:19 PM

Jul 2008
i see these movie only once in TV in middle-school with arabic dub
thy show it in wensday "our weekend is Thursday and friday"" kids film of the week slot.
that movie destory hat weeknd for all kids that week ((we have 2-3 TV chanels back thin so we all see it))

now Did i cry after you watched this movie?

i stell, just go in these anime page nerly make me cry agein.

it MUST SEE anime but ONCE
Sep 24, 2011 12:26 AM

May 2008
If you really want to cry then watch the live action movie they made based on this. It portrays the powerful scenes better and really captures the family stress/desperation better than the animated original in my opinion. It might be difficult to track down, but I think it's worth it.

It might just be that I watched the live action version first, but the animated one felt tame by comparison.

I am a banana.
Nov 12, 2011 7:16 PM

Jul 2010
I cried.. The most I'd ever in a movie frankly. It wasn't 'sad', just depressing. I was dead for about a week xD.

Yes, you are very cold-hearted.
Jan 22, 2012 9:31 PM

Jul 2011
Fuko-Brian said:
It was Ok. But I Didnt Cry :P

Same here, I thought it would leave an lasting sensation like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, but it didn´t. At much, I was slightly shocked and upset at certain scenes, but that´s all...¯\_(¯ _¯ )_/¯
Jan 28, 2012 7:08 AM

Jan 2010
i never shed a tear , but it was a sad anime
Feb 3, 2012 2:42 PM

Sep 2008
The hardest war I've fought is the one against those tears while watching this anime...because my brother was in the room, I didn't want to cry with him around. I cried afterwards. Took me some time to recover from it.

eyerokFeb 3, 2012 2:48 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 3, 2012 3:04 PM

Jan 2012
When I watched this movie, I felt so bad for those kids. They lost their mother in a tragic way, had to live with a heartless aunt (I believe it was their aunt, if I remember correctly), then lived in a cave by themselves. But when it came to Setsuko's death, I wasn't crying my eyes out, but I had a tight feeling in my chest (mostly because I was trying to hold back my tears) and I shed some tears. So I think it was a really good movie.
Mar 5, 2012 2:47 AM

Jan 2008
I ddin't. Wasn't even sad, because all the misery was caused by his stupid pride. All I felt was anger.
Mar 23, 2012 11:51 AM

Aug 2011
If you didn't, you're going to Hell.
Mar 27, 2012 2:31 PM

Apr 2007
I was unaffected, I was watching around The class seeing people shedding numerous years and wondering if I was supposed to cry too. We were doing depressing movies in class and I saw the documentary of the Hiroshima bombing which was the only thing that made me cry. Barefoot gen and grave of the fireflies weren't really sad to me.

Thanks to Iri for the awesome Signature!! ^^
Apr 3, 2012 3:20 PM
Jun 2008
Mildly depressed. I never cried while watching anything in my entire life.
Apr 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Aug 2010
honestly, Setsuko annoyed me, i actually just wanted to hit her during the entire movie. So her dying didn't effect me at all. And the other aspects of the story didn't come out well, it just seemed repetitious and predictable
Apr 5, 2012 9:05 PM

Feb 2011
Kyuubipenguin said:
honestly, Setsuko annoyed me, i actually just wanted to hit her during the entire movie. So her dying didn't effect me at all

ouch...
Apr 8, 2012 9:01 AM
Dec 2010
I feel hollow after watching it. Becuz it was a ghibli movie i thought it would cheer me up, but it's just sad.And that happened after a slightly bad day.... *sigh*
Apr 8, 2012 9:04 AM

Feb 2012
I manage to control my mainly tears. :)
Apr 8, 2012 3:14 PM
Jun 2011
I cried a little on the inside, but didn't cry on the outside because I was watching this in midnight and everyone is asleep.
Apr 11, 2012 2:36 PM
Mar 2010
Like a little bitch.

I watched it a while ago, but I didn't know what I was getting into. I had done no previous research on the movie, and was handed the DVD because someone said, "if you liked Spirited Away, you'll probably like this." So... I watched it with no idea it was going to be depressing as fuck. When Seita said, "[Can't remember date]. That was the day I died." (Not a spoiler, first line in the movie) I was like, "o.o THE FUCK AM I IN FOR?"

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
May 7, 2012 12:11 PM

Mar 2011
I have to admit, it was rather depressing. I did cry some at the credits, I think that was mainly because I was reflecting back on how these kind of situations actually happen during wars- and what I just watched was, what I believe to be a very good interpretation of how wars can tear apart the fabric of families. On that basis alone, it is enough to make somebody feel a little helpless inside. It makes you wonder about all of those people during the first and second world wars that had to experience things like this, it is very touching, to say the least, even if you do leave the two kids out of it.
Jun 3, 2012 11:31 AM

Jan 2010
no ))

maybe - Mildly depressed ))
Jul 2, 2012 4:57 PM
Jun 2009
I cried from around 10 minutes into the movie till the end and after. This is a very sensitive topic, showing how hard the two kids are tryng to survive... the girl was so adorable and the boy was still just a kid himself. I can't stop crying 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
Jul 14, 2012 3:29 PM

Oct 2011
OminousFlare said:
Well, I didn't exactly 'cry,' but there was definitely a sense of utter depression. I couldn't call it out as 'morbid' for presenting such a tragic ending, as it was very realistically done, and the actions of Seita were not ridiculous or nonsensical enough to be exaggerating, which is often what 'morbid' and 'emo' are. Depressing is realistic.

Totally agree.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2012 4:42 PM

Apr 2011
It felt heavy.
Jul 31, 2012 1:10 PM

Nov 2011
While I didn't cry on the outside, I felt definatly drained emotionally.

An incredible film though, very realistic, and morbid. One of the best war films I've ever seen, and is basically required viewing for any fan of animation.
Aug 2, 2012 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
I hate to mourn, and less watching animes ... throughout the film I had a knot in my stomach and it was becoming larger TT ... I was almost praying that Setsuko not die but was so ... and the mother dies in a horrible and father, and I that I have a little sister I felt very identified seeing the movie and at the end when he dies, burning and pulling when the ****** guard the box with the bones ... I started out with tears, and that I am not to mourn. But somewhat restrained BD (? (

Excellent movie, but I hope it was exaggerated and that these situations never really pass ...
Thank for the post!! =)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2012 12:55 PM

Feb 2008
DmonHiro said:
I ddin't. Wasn't even sad, because all the misery was caused by his stupid pride. All I felt was anger.

Exactly. It was all his fault. He could have at least swallowed his pride when she was on the verge of dying. But noooo, he can feed her perfectly with nothing :D

Nevertheless, it was depressing. Even though she died because of her idiot brother, it's sad because he ruined his and her life. He could have lived like a wealthy man if he stayed with his Aunt (note: wealthy as in, have food).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 22, 2012 1:41 PM

Mar 2010
I did...quite a lot. ;(
Oct 6, 2012 6:37 AM

Aug 2012
I went into the movie wanting to but even though I tried to build up how bad everything was I couldn't.
Kind of disappointed.
Oct 25, 2012 10:47 PM

May 2011
ZetaZaku said:
DmonHiro said:

Exactly. It was all his fault. He could have at least swallowed his pride when she was on the verge of dying. But noooo, he can feed her perfectly with nothing :D

Nevertheless, it was depressing. Even though she died because of her idiot brother, it's sad because he ruined his and her life. He could have lived like a wealthy man if he stayed with his Aunt (note: wealthy as in, have food).

I was wondering why nobody thinks like this. Okay, it's sad indeed. I feel sorry for Setsuko, but not really much on Seita. I just don't understand that if he really cares about his little sister, why not just swallow his pride? ALSO, if he HAS PRIDE, why does he still going around stealing things? I mean, when there's an air raid, he went around houses knowing it's deserted to steal things, and there's a part showing he's very very happy about being able to steal things DURING the air raid itself. It looks like he's happy to steal it successfully, which doesn't look like he have any pride in him. It's very low of him in my aspect(I know when it comes to life and death, doing this may be because there's no other waya, BUT there IS a better option... which is apologise).

All in all, the reason why this movie doesn't made me feel very depress was because it's very conflicting for me. Isn't it worst to be doing something against your pride everyday, with a chance of being caught and punished, than just go against your pride once and secure his little sister's life/stomach? Also stealing isn't against his pride but apologising does? I believe if one love or care about another person a lot, wouldn't he do anything to help that person? But.. okay I shall stop here, or else I'm getting more and more confuse and blur.
Nov 8, 2012 10:34 AM

Jan 2009
No.

The ending left me more confused, if anything.

I suppose if had been on the same level as Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 I think I would have bawwed my eyes out...
We're the same. Nuisances with nowhere to go.
Nov 18, 2012 1:37 PM

Sep 2008
xahjun said:
ZetaZaku said:
DmonHiro said:

I was wondering why nobody thinks like this. Okay, it's sad indeed. I feel sorry for Setsuko, but not really much on Seita. I just don't understand that if he really cares about his little sister, why not just swallow his pride? ALSO, if he HAS PRIDE, why does he still going around stealing things? I mean, when there's an air raid, he went around houses knowing it's deserted to steal things, and there's a part showing he's very very happy about being able to steal things DURING the air raid itself. It looks like he's happy to steal it successfully, which doesn't look like he have any pride in him. It's very low of him in my aspect(I know when it comes to life and death, doing this may be because there's no other waya, BUT there IS a better option... which is apologise).

All in all, the reason why this movie doesn't made me feel very depress was because it's very conflicting for me. Isn't it worst to be doing something against your pride everyday, with a chance of being caught and punished, than just go against your pride once and secure his little sister's life/stomach? Also stealing isn't against his pride but apologising does? I believe if one love or care about another person a lot, wouldn't he do anything to help that person? But.. okay I shall stop here, or else I'm getting more and more confuse and blur.

lol, none of what you guys said makes any sense whatsoever. What he did make perfect sense because he was just a boy, and he did not understand the effects of his decisions clearly being a minor child, and going through a traumatic experience like watching his own mother die after being burnt horribly, and not knowing where his own father was at that time made things harder. And he certainly did not expect his sister to die like that so easily. His actions make sense for a boy of his age who has had to depend on his parents for everything up until that time.
For the record, this anime is based on an actual semi-autobiographical account which the writer wrote as an apology to his own sister who died in the War.
Technominator's review for this was the best, and it clearly explained this aspect, because this was already criticized by some people in the forum, and especially in the review by YoungVagabond. She summed up the whole thing perfectly, but unfortunately she deleted all her reviews in what some people call 'a fit of emoness'.
eyerokNov 18, 2012 1:40 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 18, 2012 9:27 PM

Nov 2011
Nov 25, 2012 5:34 PM

Sep 2009
I saw it yesterday with my boyfriend... I cried and cried like for hours and he was very very sad. This movie is based in real life (it is based in a novel, and the writer based the story in his life during the war) so it is so realistic it makes me depressed
Dec 18, 2012 2:43 PM

Oct 2012
I shed a tear or two, it was pretty sad.
Dec 20, 2012 1:28 PM

Jun 2008
can't stop the tears from falling... =_=!!
Dec 21, 2012 10:53 PM

Jun 2012
Unaffected.
I thought there would be a more serious conflict, and also thought the end would tie in with how it started. I guess I was expecting more.
Well, I don't cry from shows or stuff anyway, although I may often get depressed after a good series or movie (such as 5 cm per second).

Jan 30, 2013 10:32 AM

Mar 2012
A lot man, a lot. That second half almost killed.
Feb 3, 2013 3:53 AM

Feb 2011
didn't cry outside but inside i did...especially at the end. Makes me totally feel sympathy for anyone who was left famished and left with nothing in the war.
Feb 7, 2013 8:56 PM

May 2012
Well, i'm about to find out
Feb 12, 2013 11:47 PM

Jan 2010
Part that hit me the hardest was when Seita looked at the picture of his dad later in the movie and started crying. I'd almost forgotten that he was a kid himself because of all of how mature he'd been acting. The last 20 minutes or so were especially devastating.
Mar 9, 2013 3:30 PM

Sep 2010
Yes i shed tears durring some of the scenes in the movie. The real cry came durring the ending credits for me. I was crying durring the ending credits because i was thinking about myself and about the reality of our species. I think i have gone through hard times. I think i have suffered. I think i know what being alone is like. Well i was wrong. I dont know what pain is. It isnt just durring war times that things like these happen. Literaly while i type this people are going through this exact thing, many MANY people. Is it necessary? The anser is simply no, and thats why i was crying.
Mar 20, 2013 7:52 AM

Nov 2008
I felt nothing.
That was odd.
Mar 30, 2013 3:51 AM

Jan 2013
It was somewhat depressing but I got over it after like 5 mins
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hotaru No Haka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakyuu-addict - Nov 28, 2008

313 by WeebAngo »»
Mar 8, 5:18 AM

» Useful for learning the Kansai dialect (J-subs)

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

18 by theSporz »»
Jan 17, 5:58 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

24 by ToufiqHassan »»
Nov 17, 2023 4:26 AM

» I don't think I'll ever re-watch this movie. ( 1 2 )

Abyque - Sep 13, 2022

51 by Lungitar90 »»
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM

Poll: » Seita

Neo2425 - Jan 1, 2023

19 by Saytr »»
Jan 13, 2023 3:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.