MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers)
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Hotaru no Haka »» Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers)

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
View Poll Results: How did you feel after watching grave of the fireflies?
Bawling my eyes out

118 27.83%
Shed some tears

108 25.47%
A Bit Sad / Mildly Depressed

135 31.84%
Unaffected

55 12.97%
Happy?

8 1.89%
Voters: 424

06-16-13, 11:36 AM

just like how i felt after watching The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

06-17-13, 6:00 PM

to be honest no i didn't cry. truly a masterpiece tho.

07-19-13, 12:33 PM

ss4gojetanks said:
I heard from many reviews that everyone would start bawling their eyes out after watching this film, so I put it on my Netflix queue. My sister watched it first and cried... alot... My mom (who never watch anime, ever, at all) watched it next and she cried a bit.

I felt sad at the end when Setsuko died, but no tears. I got the "eye squinting" sad feeling. After telling that to my family members, they said that I was cold and emotionless >.>

So, I just started this thread to see how you guys felt after watching the movie. I added a poll too.

I didn't even find it depressing, to be honest. And I cry a lot on every shitty series I watch... It might sound weird but i have my explanation for this.

The movie was too realistic, but not in terms of emotions. - I don't think the movie was supposed to be a tearjerker. It has more of a documentary feel to it (like when you watch survival shows on Discovery) and for this reason I was unable to sympathize with the characters... They did not show any signs of depression, only momentarily panic, I would say. In fact, I found them both to be very optimistic and powerful. I can't say I felt pity because the brother was just awesome, he never really lost his cool, nor give in to emotions. There were plenty happy moments. The occasional deaths we have seen were in no way shocking or unexpected.
And unltimately... the death of Setsuko didn't build up too much emotions. She had always been a helpless little kid, something bad was to be expected + she never was too coherent as to clearly build her character and be able to actually care about her... she was just cute but cuteness alone isn't much of a heartbreaker.

08-17-13, 3:54 PM

Watched it with my daughter and had to walk out of the room 'for a tissue'. Actually I was sobbing and I didn't want her to see me do this.
And no I did not feel depressed just very sad.

08-25-13, 5:20 PM

A Bit Sad / Mildly Depressed (your vote)

I really like this movie and thought it was beautiful and compelling, but all of the things I've heard about it for so long were blown way out of proportion. Everywhere I went I'd see

"cried from dusk to dawn"
"I became an empty shell for a week"
"I hate living"
"I fell into depression for a month"
etc etc

I found it sad, but not life changing tragic.
"To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic." - Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

10-12-13, 7:05 PM

Cried so hard I threw up, because I was trying so hard not to start wailing. Nothing has ever made me feel the way this movie did, and the only things that come close are "Dancer in The Dark" and "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas"", though that movie more just left me open-jawed, saying "wtf" over and over because it was so F*cked up. My friend had told me to see this one, but I was nowhere in the realm of prepared for what ensued. I know he said it was very damn sad, but that is such an understatement it's ridiculous. I wish I had been warned a bit better, and not had to experience that with someone else who I'd rather not have seen me in that state. It was just.....he finally got them food....and ugh >.< I don't even want to think about it.

10-12-13, 7:06 PM

As the movie goes on and you think more and more about what the characters were going through and put yourself in their shoes it hits you harder and harder!

If these were your children... your sister...brother...

After the movie I was walking around scratching my head going what the ****! for the next few hours. I had to go out and do something fun just to snap out of it.

I think if you keep an emotional distance to the characters and look at it simply as a cartoon you will miss out on so much of what this movie is about!

10-12-13, 7:47 PM

Morridine said:
The movie was too realistic, but not in terms of emotions. - I don't think the movie was supposed to be a tearjerker. It has more of a documentary feel to it (like when you watch survival shows on Discovery) and for this reason I was unable to sympathize with the characters... They did not show any signs of depression, only momentarily panic, I would say. In fact, I found them both to be very optimistic and powerful. I can't say I felt pity because the brother was just awesome, he never really lost his cool, nor give in to emotions. There were plenty happy moments. The occasional deaths we have seen were in no way shocking or unexpected.
And unltimately... the death of Setsuko didn't build up too much emotions. She had always been a helpless little kid, something bad was to be expected + she never was too coherent as to clearly build her character and be able to actually care about her... she was just cute but cuteness alone isn't much of a heartbreaker.

I couldn't have said it better, 'cause I didn't cry too.
Modified by saka, 10-22-13, 10:29 PM

10-17-13, 1:52 PM

Morridine said:
I didn't even find it depressing, to be honest. And I cry a lot on every shitty series I watch... It might sound weird but i have my explanation for this.

Thank you! This was exactly how I felt but I could never put it into words. Everyone would just write me off once I would say it's a war movie and war movies were meant to be like that.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...

11-03-13, 1:51 AM

Eh... unaffected, I guess. It was sad and all, but I really can't get into it.

03-21-14, 9:20 AM

Nope didn't even feel sad. Was just left with an annoyed feeling cause it was so over-hyped for being the saddest thing ever and makes you cry so much you will be depressed for weeks afterwards. Bullshit.

05-16-14, 5:05 PM

You guys have no hearts. I cried like a baby, and I'm proud I did. This is the saddest story I have ever had the pleasure to watch. I'm never going to be the same again after watching this. The death of Setsuko is heartbreaking... I wanted a happy ending god dammit :'(

05-23-14, 8:51 PM

I dunno... I didn't really cry during this movie. The opening for the movie kind of spoiled the end for me. I already knew that Seita was going to die, and it was implied that Setsuko was going to die as well after seeing her ashes fall out of the can. It just frustrating to see him refuse to put their lives above his pride when they had the chance to return to their aunt's house at any time. Even after he saw her ribs at the doctor's office, nothing changed. The movie felt like a waiting game to see when Setsuko was finally going to die. If I hadn't known from the beginning of the ending, it probably would have had a bigger impact on me.

06-07-14, 2:02 PM

Literally cried for half of the movie, bawling my eyes out...

but i doubt that it will be the same now, afterall I first saw this years ago...

07-05-14, 10:33 AM

I watched the movie some time ago so I'm not sure anymore but surprisingly I don't think I cried...
Don't really know why even though I usually cry so easily watching stuffs...

07-25-14, 3:27 AM

I watched this movie when I was about 6 and I cried so much. I watched it again few months ago and started to cry in the first 20 seconds of the movie.

08-14-14, 10:54 PM

I watched it at like just before midnight to about 1.30 ish. Everyone else had gone to bed while I was watching it. It was a nice movie, not "nice" as in kind, but a nice, like decent but not that terrible decent.

I got a little watery eyed at the start of the movie, but I soon was able to dry them and watch it. Towards the end, I started getting a bit watery eyed. Then when she died a little more. Then as it did those flashes of her when she was a live it started to build up, and I lost it when she was playing rock-paper-scissors with herself in the water. I was crying and all that.

But now after it ended and I've been able to calm down now I'm much better, so it's not much of a cry all night one, however I don't know if I'll be able to think hard on the rock-paper-scissors scene for a little while at least.

I think though had I watched it maybe in the day with people around, I might not have cried like I did, maybe a tear.

There's just something about the movie where, I'm not sure how to put it into words. It's like it keeps you at an arm's length.

I can't say I'll ever watch it again, but there you have it.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices