MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Do you use Anime to escape the world?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Do you use Anime to escape the world?

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
07-07-11, 11:19 PM

@v1046-r That's cool.

07-07-11, 11:20 PM

not really. its just enjoyable to watch.

07-07-11, 11:47 PM

Sometimes. When I'm angry I bring up a good comedy to bring me back into a decent mood.

07-08-11, 12:22 AM

I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.

07-08-11, 5:39 AM

Veronin said:
I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.

saaaaame.. but i spend like 80% of all nights watching anime so yeah.. i might be escaping sleep >.<
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.

07-08-11, 5:44 AM

I watch anime and read manga to fuel my imagination while i would like to sink into that imagination world but i got to always keep my head in reality.

07-08-11, 6:13 AM

Let's just say that there's a certain kind of beauty and intrigue found in anime that couldn't be even imagined anymore when thinking about the real world.

It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything.
It's only after we step outside of our social norms do we see the truth about our lives.

07-08-11, 6:57 AM

Well, watching anime or reading manga is just a hobby of mine. If doing this when I want to forget about my problems or if I am stressed is a definition or a part of escaping from reality, then you can tell that I am sometimes escaping from reality. But still, I always make sure to look to the real world.^_^

07-08-11, 7:07 AM

i dont escape reality using anything, i face reality

okay and i see them as a hobby

07-08-11, 7:24 AM

Well yeah, but that also includes other things such as music and video games for me.

Why is anime in a different category as television, though? It's basically the same thing, just a regional difference.

07-08-11, 7:43 AM
News Team
Yes.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

07-08-11, 7:58 AM

I Love Being Able To escape From Reality..... IN FMAB And Clannad/AF I did alot of escaping Those may seem like Dramatic anime But I enjoyed so much I felt as if I was there.. SO yea I Laughed, I cried But that just what makes it amazing to watch!!!!!

07-08-11, 8:04 AM

I guess it's more of a hobby. For me it's the same as sports,games,music, or any other hobby i have.

07-08-11, 8:07 AM

No, just a hobby
But listening to music is probably the closest thing for me to escape from reality

07-08-11, 11:55 AM

I think escapism is the prevalent reason to watch anime.

If you don't want to escape reality for a time then why watch it? To see something new and broaden your horizons? You'd only need to see a few and be done with it.

07-08-11, 2:27 PM

I don't really escape from reality, I escape from boredom.
I just need something to DO so I want to do something that's actually entertaining and that's what good anime is.

07-08-11, 3:15 PM

Al_Gore said:
everyone has some form of escapism from reality whether it be anime, video games, sports, sex, drugs, etc.

Exactly.

I don't think you have to live in your parents' basement and never come out in order to be someone who uses anime to escape. There are tons of things people use to temporarily escape reality. We all do it with one thing or another. Some people read books in a quite place, some people play golf and so on and so forth. I use several things to escape reality. Anime happens to be one of those things although not as much anymore.

07-08-11, 3:22 PM

smashwagon said:
It seems to me that ducking out from society for a while to play games or watch anime is not escaping reality at all, but simply escaping society. There are plenty of reasons worthy of escaping society, but reality is ever present. I don't think it is everybodies responsibility to solve all the problems in the world. Much of what the general public, crowds, courts, and the like do, they do without any control from you. You can form an opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree with the majority, but very few people are involved in actual problem solving. Ultimately even if you disagree there is often little more that you can do but shrug your shoulders and say "well, you can't stop stupid"

The vast majority of my FB friends, are people I know personally, and just having a FB account has gotten me out of the house a lot more frequently. There is less of the hiding behind the computer screen, and more of using a computer screen to bring your friends closer.

You don't have to deny reality in order to escape it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escapism

07-08-11, 4:06 PM

n10sity, I was mainly refering to the fact that, for instance if I spent all day imagining I was a 17 foot tall blue hamster with bionic legs, that would be escapism pure and simple, but if I were to chronicle the adventures on paper, to model him, to draw him, to give him a name and dimension then that ephemeral hamster would have become something tangible, something that exists in this world, dragged kicking and screaming from some horrible psychoses into reality perhaps, but certainly a definable thing.

At that point if people were to enjoy my stories or art, they would not go off on some random tangent about it, but most likely enjoy it as simply an artistic creation. It is a third person perspective generally at the closest, like looking through a window at something, and in fact tv and computer moniters are much like windows (even Bill Gates thought so)

Sorry for digressing so much, I just don't feel like simply enjoying a few brews, or watching some shows, or reading a book is escapism, rather I feel it is what humans excel at, it is living itself... and if it does fire up your imagination and allow you to bring forth your own inventions into this world, then you get to make the leap from indulger of reality to creator of reality.

I also feel that refering to creative works as "escapist" trivializes it, and while it might not be as important a creation as suspension bridges or artifical hearts, I do think there is a lot of value in them.

07-08-11, 4:12 PM

I guess in a way I do. I live in a cramped room with my bro and I need a way to relieve the stress of being cooped up (without stepping outside of course), so I watch anime.

Not that I watch anime strictly for escapism though.

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices