MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Do you use Anime to escape the world?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Do you use Anime to escape the world?

Pages (3) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 »
07-07-11, 11:19 PM

@v1046-r That's cool.

07-07-11, 11:20 PM

not really. its just enjoyable to watch.

07-07-11, 11:47 PM

Sometimes. When I'm angry I bring up a good comedy to bring me back into a decent mood.

07-08-11, 12:22 AM

I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.

07-08-11, 5:39 AM

Veronin said:
I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.

saaaaame.. but i spend like 80% of all nights watching anime so yeah.. i might be escaping sleep >.<
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.

07-08-11, 5:44 AM

I watch anime and read manga to fuel my imagination while i would like to sink into that imagination world but i got to always keep my head in reality.

07-08-11, 6:13 AM

Let's just say that there's a certain kind of beauty and intrigue found in anime that couldn't be even imagined anymore when thinking about the real world.

07-08-11, 6:57 AM

Well, watching anime or reading manga is just a hobby of mine. If doing this when I want to forget about my problems or if I am stressed is a definition or a part of escaping from reality, then you can tell that I am sometimes escaping from reality. But still, I always make sure to look to the real world.^_^

07-08-11, 7:07 AM

i dont escape reality using anything, i face reality

okay and i see them as a hobby

07-08-11, 7:24 AM

Well yeah, but that also includes other things such as music and video games for me.

Why is anime in a different category as television, though? It's basically the same thing, just a regional difference.

07-08-11, 7:43 AM
News Moderator
Yes.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

07-08-11, 7:58 AM

I Love Being Able To escape From Reality..... IN FMAB And Clannad/AF I did alot of escaping Those may seem like Dramatic anime But I enjoyed so much I felt as if I was there.. SO yea I Laughed, I cried But that just what makes it amazing to watch!!!!!

07-08-11, 8:04 AM

I guess it's more of a hobby. For me it's the same as sports,games,music, or any other hobby i have.

07-08-11, 8:07 AM

No, just a hobby
But listening to music is probably the closest thing for me to escape from reality

07-08-11, 11:55 AM

I think escapism is the prevalent reason to watch anime.

If you don't want to escape reality for a time then why watch it? To see something new and broaden your horizons? You'd only need to see a few and be done with it.

07-08-11, 2:27 PM

I don't really escape from reality, I escape from boredom.
I just need something to DO so I want to do something that's actually entertaining and that's what good anime is.

07-08-11, 3:15 PM

Al_Gore said:
everyone has some form of escapism from reality whether it be anime, video games, sports, sex, drugs, etc.

Exactly.

I don't think you have to live in your parents' basement and never come out in order to be someone who uses anime to escape. There are tons of things people use to temporarily escape reality. We all do it with one thing or another. Some people read books in a quite place, some people play golf and so on and so forth. I use several things to escape reality. Anime happens to be one of those things although not as much anymore.

07-08-11, 3:22 PM

smashwagon said:
It seems to me that ducking out from society for a while to play games or watch anime is not escaping reality at all, but simply escaping society. There are plenty of reasons worthy of escaping society, but reality is ever present. I don't think it is everybodies responsibility to solve all the problems in the world. Much of what the general public, crowds, courts, and the like do, they do without any control from you. You can form an opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree with the majority, but very few people are involved in actual problem solving. Ultimately even if you disagree there is often little more that you can do but shrug your shoulders and say "well, you can't stop stupid"

The vast majority of my FB friends, are people I know personally, and just having a FB account has gotten me out of the house a lot more frequently. There is less of the hiding behind the computer screen, and more of using a computer screen to bring your friends closer.

You don't have to deny reality in order to escape it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escapism

07-08-11, 4:06 PM

n10sity, I was mainly refering to the fact that, for instance if I spent all day imagining I was a 17 foot tall blue hamster with bionic legs, that would be escapism pure and simple, but if I were to chronicle the adventures on paper, to model him, to draw him, to give him a name and dimension then that ephemeral hamster would have become something tangible, something that exists in this world, dragged kicking and screaming from some horrible psychoses into reality perhaps, but certainly a definable thing.

At that point if people were to enjoy my stories or art, they would not go off on some random tangent about it, but most likely enjoy it as simply an artistic creation. It is a third person perspective generally at the closest, like looking through a window at something, and in fact tv and computer moniters are much like windows (even Bill Gates thought so)

Sorry for digressing so much, I just don't feel like simply enjoying a few brews, or watching some shows, or reading a book is escapism, rather I feel it is what humans excel at, it is living itself... and if it does fire up your imagination and allow you to bring forth your own inventions into this world, then you get to make the leap from indulger of reality to creator of reality.

I also feel that refering to creative works as "escapist" trivializes it, and while it might not be as important a creation as suspension bridges or artifical hearts, I do think there is a lot of value in them.

07-08-11, 4:12 PM

I guess in a way I do. I live in a cramped room with my bro and I need a way to relieve the stress of being cooped up (without stepping outside of course), so I watch anime.

Not that I watch anime strictly for escapism though.

07-08-11, 5:50 PM

I definitely do. But I also read, play video games, play/study chess, and cook to escape reality too. I also love doing all these things, so that isn't always the reason. I truly love everything from the stories to the artwork

07-08-11, 7:44 PM

I don't use anime to escape reality- I am very aware reality still exist as i am starting to fall asleep in my room from 15 hours of anime.
I, the Mud Puppy Goddess' apostle suggest you turn to the great goddess for guidance. May her kindness rain down upon all that put their faith in her. Blub~

07-08-11, 8:27 PM

Maybe, to an extent. I only watch one or two episodes a day, so I assume it's more for the entertainment than anything else. If it were all escapism, I'd be watching a lot more than I do.

07-09-11, 3:07 AM

I don't think so. I'm always watching anime right in the comfort of my bedroom.

07-09-11, 8:49 AM

I guess I use anime to escape from reality, like if I've had a really bad day and just want to forget about it I'll start watching and before I know it I'm laughing along with the characters, but I use drawing and writing as more of an escape than anything. Then again, I draw manga style so I guess it's still technically anime-related >_<

07-09-11, 8:59 AM

The world we live in is amazing, why would you ever want to escape it?
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!

07-09-11, 9:55 AM

No, anime is a hobby is mine, nothing more nothing less. I enjoy the different unique story telling methods as well as the many different archtypes in anime that don't exist in western media. I do tend to get absorbed in it, but it's not escapism, rather appreciation.

07-09-11, 10:15 AM

is a hobbie, i dont spend all my time watching anime, some people play video games, others practice an sport, i watch anime for fun, for have a relaxed time. :V

••MajorMinus

07-09-11, 10:25 AM

kaleidostar1187 said:
[...]So I wanted to ask in this discussion do believe that there are people who love anime that take it too far, and escape the world?

I'd recommend some form of spacecraft for those who want to escape the world. Anime lacks the power to generate the necessary escape velocity.

I tend to use humor to escape reality. Has decent propulsion, too.

07-09-11, 10:54 AM

Hmm I do use anime to escape from reality, but not all the time.. xD I also watch it for amusement

Please click my adoptions here tnx! =D

07-09-11, 12:13 PM

That's what all entertainment and hobbies are for, aren't they?

So, to answer your question, yes.

07-10-11, 1:03 PM

PockyBebop said:
That's what all entertainment and hobbies are for, aren't they?

So, to answer your question, yes.

I mean we all want to get away, but I mean there are people that get so deep in their fantasy world, they don't want to come back to the real world.

07-10-11, 1:32 PM

I wouldn't say I use anime to escape reality, though i do use it to cheer myself up from time to time.

07-10-11, 1:37 PM

Not intentionally but while marathoning anime all day you sort of lose your worries you had. I sort of recognize that feeling when you start to remember things you had to do/worry about as 'coming back to reality' xD

07-10-11, 1:38 PM

I know what you mean. Worrying is the worst part of life I think.

07-10-11, 3:17 PM

Some time in my life. Sometimes you don't want think about your daily routine. So this is why there are anime.

07-10-11, 4:53 PM

I argue that pretty much any form of entertainment is used as an escape from reality. It doesn't mean that we hate our reality but of course you want to change it up cause the same thing all the time in boring.

07-10-11, 4:57 PM

Yes. It also serves to inspire me to further enhance my reality.

07-10-11, 7:17 PM

kylemike13 said:
I wouldn't say I use anime to escape reality, though i do use it to cheer myself up from time to time.

Same with me. I don't use anime to "escape", per se, but sometimes I like to immerse myself in it, and other times I wish the real was more like anime.
"It's gotta be pretty lonely, being exiled to deep space like that, while undoubtedly some other girl's filling your husband's bed as we speak."

07-10-11, 7:24 PM

dun't think so ,
but i must admit,
i tend to lose myself in the animes *~*
it's liek close the door, shut every noise in the house & enjoy the anime *-*! <3

07-10-11, 7:43 PM

I don't think I do it intentionally, or even consciously, but when I start thinking about it, it explains quite a bit about my life...

07-10-11, 8:27 PM

I'm worse if it's an online game. I tend to watch anime with characters i can relate to, and whom remind me of my close friends as well as the times we shared together. I wouldn't necessarily consider that escaping reality, more like reminiscing.

07-15-11, 2:15 PM

I guess you could say that i watch anime to escape although i can come back anytime i want to if i want to. But i do worry a lot about everything and it does make everything seem so easy when you do watch anime, if you know the feeling. And i do other things that help me escape as well

07-15-11, 3:40 PM

Nobody would desire any form of entertainment if their own lives were satisfying. Needing to invest in the stories of fictional characters to derive enjoyment from life is, whichever way you look at it, pure escapism. Why else would people enjoy romances and the like if not their own failings preventing them for feeling the same emotions and dealing with the same issues in reality?

JRPGs and anime require long-term investment and tend to include elements that appeal to... the lonely. It's no surprise anime has a bad rep among 'normal' folk.

Me? Sure - I NEED something to distract me. Whether it's movies, books, animation or masturbating, as long as I'm not thinking about myself, that's my happiness. It's a fake, superficial happiness but it's the best I can do.

07-15-11, 3:51 PM

i wouldn't call it escape but considering this tells me that the anime i have watched adds up to about 280 days if we do at least 6 hrs of sleep i have been running for about a year now and i plan to keep on running till i get away

07-15-11, 4:06 PM

Hmmm I guess I'd say it puts reality on hold?

07-15-11, 4:19 PM

I guess so but not consciously

07-15-11, 4:29 PM

No. I can learn more by watching anime than in my English classes.
School is just boring.
The threat is stronger than the execution.

07-15-11, 4:55 PM

I'd say yes, if I'm having a shitty day/week I'll watch a lot of anime and forget about all my troubles

07-15-11, 5:13 PM

I guess it can be a form of escapism.. but not really.
I don't watch anime with the sole intention of escaping from reality.
For me, it's just something I can use to either waste a shit load of time on or to actually enjoy an experience (which is the escapism-ish bit).
It's not like reality is shit. I'm not trying to get out of it.
Iit's just sometimes something is interesting to read.

Really.. any fiction could be rather escapist..

Pages (3) -0.6 0.4 [1.4] 2.4 »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy