Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2011 7:16 PM
Jul 2007
A friend of mine who majors in Psychology is doing a study on those who escape reality. She is doing it with broad subjects like, facebook, video gaming, taking a lot of vacations, and my friend also included anime. So I wanted to ask in this discussion do believe that there are people who love anime that take it too far, and escape the world?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2011 7:18 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah. Some people watch anime to escape from reality- to forget about their problems.
Jul 7, 2011 7:20 PM
May 2011
i play video games to escape reality, i watch anime to get a damn good story though i will admit i lose myself in them somtimes with the really good ones,
Jul 7, 2011 7:22 PM

Aug 2010
Yup
Jul 7, 2011 7:30 PM

Apr 2011
I do..... Shakugan no Shana and Toradora! especially. Those make me forget all my pain and make me feel like I'm in their world.
Jul 7, 2011 7:31 PM

Mar 2011
TeNoriTaiga- said:
I do..... Shakugan no Shana and Toradora! especially. Those make me forget all my pain and make me feel like I'm in their world.

lol, everywhere I see your post, I keep seeing Toradora :P
Courtesy of Paul
Jul 7, 2011 7:44 PM

Jun 2011
everyone has some form of escapism from reality whether it be anime, video games, sports, sex, drugs, etc.
Jul 7, 2011 9:11 PM

Nov 2010
To a certain extent at least. Watching anime is doing something I enjoy and that makes me forget about my problems sometimes. When the anime is good, I get immersed in the characters and storyline and I forget about things like schoolwork :P
Jul 7, 2011 9:25 PM

May 2011
Yeah, maybe.
But I think everyone needs something to escape reality sometimes
Jul 7, 2011 9:26 PM

Jun 2009
Sometimes, depends on how awful my day was.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 7, 2011 9:30 PM

Dec 2010
All the things you mention (facebook, video games, anime, vacations) are things that exist, and are more of an indulgement in reality than an escape from it.
Jul 7, 2011 9:34 PM

Nov 2010
I don't have many problems at all so I just watch anime because it's a hobby of mine.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Jul 7, 2011 9:34 PM
Jul 2007
smashwagon said:
All the things you mention (facebook, video games, anime, vacations) are things that exist, and are more of an indulgement in reality than an escape from it.

I tend to disagree. Interacting more on facebook shows that people do not have to interact with people, or choose not to be social, as long as they can hide behind a computer screen. I have met people who have admitted that they played video games for weeks on end without leaving the house, because they are either obsessed, or do not want to face the problems of the world. (keep in mind this only a small majority of the public.) Some people misuse the indulges in reality, to escape from reality.
Jul 7, 2011 9:57 PM

Jan 2010
Anime can also be a great mood changer. Hyperactive and need sleep? Watch a calm slice-of-life. Feeling down lately? Watch characters punch each other or crack jokes nonstop. Just plain bored? Watch something with lots of SHOCK and RAGE. There's just something magical about losing yourself in a good anime and having it change your state of mind, if even for a moment.

Of course, overdoing anything is usually bad, and anime's no exception. Though, that's a whole other story.
Jul 7, 2011 10:01 PM

Jan 2011
I watch anime because I love the art work, and I do think that there is a certain amount of escapism in it.

I also watch it to relax--it's enjoyable, entertaining and I look forward to sitting down and watching one.

I think it's similar to alcohol. Some people enjoy a beer after work and it helps them relax. Some people drink until they can't remember what they did the night before.
Jul 7, 2011 10:05 PM

Dec 2010
It seems to me that ducking out from society for a while to play games or watch anime is not escaping reality at all, but simply escaping society. There are plenty of reasons worthy of escaping society, but reality is ever present. I don't think it is everybodies responsibility to solve all the problems in the world. Much of what the general public, crowds, courts, and the like do, they do without any control from you. You can form an opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree with the majority, but very few people are involved in actual problem solving. Ultimately even if you disagree there is often little more that you can do but shrug your shoulders and say "well, you can't stop stupid"

The vast majority of my FB friends, are people I know personally, and just having a FB account has gotten me out of the house a lot more frequently. There is less of the hiding behind the computer screen, and more of using a computer screen to bring your friends closer.
Jul 7, 2011 10:08 PM
Jul 2007
smashwagon said:
It seems to me that ducking out from society for a while to play games or watch anime is not escaping reality at all, but simply escaping society. There are plenty of reasons worthy of escaping society, but reality is ever present. I don't think it is everybodies responsibility to solve all the problems in the world. Much of what the general public, crowds, courts, and the like do, they do without any control from you. You can form an opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree with the majority, but very few people are involved in actual problem solving. Ultimately even if you disagree there is often little more that you can do but shrug your shoulders and say "well, you can't stop stupid"

The vast majority of my FB friends, are people I know personally, and just having a FB account has gotten me out of the house a lot more frequently. There is less of the hiding behind the computer screen, and more of using a computer screen to bring your friends closer.

Like I said or maybe I did not make it clear, but I said only a small majority act this way. I am glad that you and your friends use facebook positively.
Jul 7, 2011 10:58 PM

Jun 2009
everything is part of the world. what you do with your life is your choice. anime is as real as you make it to yourself. but if you dont have a social life, i dont think thats good.
Jul 7, 2011 11:00 PM
Nov 2008
Nope, I see it as a hobby.
Jul 7, 2011 11:11 PM

Jul 2011
Anime has always been a very social experience for me since I was little. It's always been a way to fit in. In other worlds, it's always pushed me out into the real world rather than letting me escape from it.
Jul 7, 2011 11:19 PM
Jul 2007
@v1046-r That's cool.
Jul 7, 2011 11:20 PM

Mar 2009
not really. its just enjoyable to watch.
Jul 7, 2011 11:47 PM

Sep 2010
Sometimes. When I'm angry I bring up a good comedy to bring me back into a decent mood.
Jul 8, 2011 12:22 AM

Feb 2008
I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.
Jul 8, 2011 5:39 AM

Jul 2011
Veronin said:
I don't have anything to escape from. I just sit in my room all day.

saaaaame.. but i spend like 80% of all nights watching anime so yeah.. i might be escaping sleep >.<
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Jul 8, 2011 5:44 AM

Jan 2011
I watch anime and read manga to fuel my imagination while i would like to sink into that imagination world but i got to always keep my head in reality.
Jul 8, 2011 6:13 AM
May 2010
Let's just say that there's a certain kind of beauty and intrigue found in anime that couldn't be even imagined anymore when thinking about the real world.
Jul 8, 2011 6:57 AM

Jun 2010
Well, watching anime or reading manga is just a hobby of mine. If doing this when I want to forget about my problems or if I am stressed is a definition or a part of escaping from reality, then you can tell that I am sometimes escaping from reality. But still, I always make sure to look to the real world.^_^
Jul 8, 2011 7:07 AM
Apr 2011
i dont escape reality using anything, i face reality

okay and i see them as a hobby
Jul 8, 2011 7:24 AM
Apr 2011
Well yeah, but that also includes other things such as music and video games for me.

Why is anime in a different category as television, though? It's basically the same thing, just a regional difference.
Jul 8, 2011 7:43 AM

Nov 2007
Yes.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 8, 2011 7:58 AM

Jun 2011
I Love Being Able To escape From Reality..... IN FMAB And Clannad/AF I did alot of escaping Those may seem like Dramatic anime But I enjoyed so much I felt as if I was there.. SO yea I Laughed, I cried But that just what makes it amazing to watch!!!!!
Jul 8, 2011 8:04 AM

Aug 2010
I guess it's more of a hobby. For me it's the same as sports,games,music, or any other hobby i have.
Jul 8, 2011 8:07 AM

Jun 2011
No, just a hobby
But listening to music is probably the closest thing for me to escape from reality
Jul 8, 2011 11:55 AM

May 2008
I think escapism is the prevalent reason to watch anime.

If you don't want to escape reality for a time then why watch it? To see something new and broaden your horizons? You'd only need to see a few and be done with it.

Jul 8, 2011 2:27 PM
Apr 2011
I don't really escape from reality, I escape from boredom.
I just need something to DO so I want to do something that's actually entertaining and that's what good anime is.
Jul 8, 2011 3:15 PM

Oct 2008
Al_Gore said:
everyone has some form of escapism from reality whether it be anime, video games, sports, sex, drugs, etc.

Exactly.

I don't think you have to live in your parents' basement and never come out in order to be someone who uses anime to escape. There are tons of things people use to temporarily escape reality. We all do it with one thing or another. Some people read books in a quite place, some people play golf and so on and so forth. I use several things to escape reality. Anime happens to be one of those things although not as much anymore.
Jul 8, 2011 3:22 PM

Oct 2008
smashwagon said:

You don't have to deny reality in order to escape it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escapism
Jul 8, 2011 4:06 PM

Dec 2010
n10sity, I was mainly refering to the fact that, for instance if I spent all day imagining I was a 17 foot tall blue hamster with bionic legs, that would be escapism pure and simple, but if I were to chronicle the adventures on paper, to model him, to draw him, to give him a name and dimension then that ephemeral hamster would have become something tangible, something that exists in this world, dragged kicking and screaming from some horrible psychoses into reality perhaps, but certainly a definable thing.

At that point if people were to enjoy my stories or art, they would not go off on some random tangent about it, but most likely enjoy it as simply an artistic creation. It is a third person perspective generally at the closest, like looking through a window at something, and in fact tv and computer moniters are much like windows (even Bill Gates thought so)

Sorry for digressing so much, I just don't feel like simply enjoying a few brews, or watching some shows, or reading a book is escapism, rather I feel it is what humans excel at, it is living itself... and if it does fire up your imagination and allow you to bring forth your own inventions into this world, then you get to make the leap from indulger of reality to creator of reality.

I also feel that refering to creative works as "escapist" trivializes it, and while it might not be as important a creation as suspension bridges or artifical hearts, I do think there is a lot of value in them.
Jul 8, 2011 4:12 PM

Dec 2009
I guess in a way I do. I live in a cramped room with my bro and I need a way to relieve the stress of being cooped up (without stepping outside of course), so I watch anime.

Not that I watch anime strictly for escapism though.
Jul 8, 2011 5:50 PM

Jun 2011
I definitely do. But I also read, play video games, play/study chess, and cook to escape reality too. I also love doing all these things, so that isn't always the reason. I truly love everything from the stories to the artwork
Jul 8, 2011 7:44 PM

May 2011
I don't use anime to escape reality- I am very aware reality still exist as i am starting to fall asleep in my room from 15 hours of anime.
I, the Mud Puppy Goddess' apostle suggest you turn to the great goddess for guidance. May her kindness rain down upon all that put their faith in her. Blub~
Jul 8, 2011 8:27 PM

Feb 2010
Maybe, to an extent. I only watch one or two episodes a day, so I assume it's more for the entertainment than anything else. If it were all escapism, I'd be watching a lot more than I do.
Jul 9, 2011 3:07 AM

Jul 2010
I don't think so. I'm always watching anime right in the comfort of my bedroom.
Jul 9, 2011 8:49 AM

Apr 2011
I guess I use anime to escape from reality, like if I've had a really bad day and just want to forget about it I'll start watching and before I know it I'm laughing along with the characters, but I use drawing and writing as more of an escape than anything. Then again, I draw manga style so I guess it's still technically anime-related >_<
Jul 9, 2011 8:59 AM

Jan 2011
The world we live in is amazing, why would you ever want to escape it?
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jul 9, 2011 9:55 AM

Jan 2009
No, anime is a hobby is mine, nothing more nothing less. I enjoy the different unique story telling methods as well as the many different archtypes in anime that don't exist in western media. I do tend to get absorbed in it, but it's not escapism, rather appreciation.
Jul 9, 2011 10:15 AM
Jul 2011
is a hobbie, i dont spend all my time watching anime, some people play video games, others practice an sport, i watch anime for fun, for have a relaxed time. :V

••MajorMinus

Jul 9, 2011 10:25 AM

Jan 2009
kaleidostar1187 said:
[...]So I wanted to ask in this discussion do believe that there are people who love anime that take it too far, and escape the world?

I'd recommend some form of spacecraft for those who want to escape the world. Anime lacks the power to generate the necessary escape velocity.

I tend to use humor to escape reality. Has decent propulsion, too.
Jul 9, 2011 10:54 AM

Oct 2009
Hmm I do use anime to escape from reality, but not all the time.. xD I also watch it for amusement
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

47 by Piromysl »»
3 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

21 by Ex-Aid »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.