Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2011 1:25 AM

Dec 2007
Oh Ikuhara.

You so crazy.
Jul 8, 2011 2:36 AM

Feb 2008
That was kind of bizarre.

So far, I'm impressed. Didn't know what to expect when I first opened the video. Could easily be one of the best this season.
Jul 8, 2011 2:54 AM

Oct 2010
That caught me by surprise. I didn't know there was gonna be incest in this season. I think I'm gonna be enjoying this series a lot.

Also, dat henshin scene was Fabulous! Need OST now.
Jul 8, 2011 3:16 AM

Mar 2010
nonlly said:
Ourobouros said:
Am I the only one who thought the paint on their house was awesome?

nope, you are not the only one.

Indeed, I also loved how colourful their house was inside and out :).
Oh yeah, the episode ... whatthefuckerry of the best kind! :D And I want me some nonhetero pairings soon ^^.
Jul 8, 2011 3:29 AM
Jun 2008
so far the most interesting story of this season for me

this has the best MOB char LOL.I can't stop laughing looking at those MOB..mayb a few ep can make me calm down a bit >.<~~
MorningGloryJul 8, 2011 3:34 AM
Jul 8, 2011 3:35 AM

Jul 2009
No idea wtf is going on, hahaha. Really enjoyable first episode, though.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jul 8, 2011 3:39 AM

Oct 2008
llamaben said:
Pretty good so far. The only downside was yet another terrible song by Yakushimaru Etsuko (thankfully not as bad as her others, though).

you're a spastic
Jul 8, 2011 4:09 AM
Oct 2009
Family Photo Spoiler in case people missed it like I did.

Jul 8, 2011 4:51 AM

Oct 2009
What was so hard to understand? Siblings living together, one of them had a terminal illness, and then she gets saved... But for a price. I was able to follow it perfectly. Could end up being a deconstruction of fairy tales that defy death. Who knows?

Loved every minute of Mawaru! Penguins were cute whilst funny, asked thought provoking questions, DAT HENSHIN, Abstract artwork, and a beautiful soundtrack to go along with it! Brilliant! Ikuhara is back!
Jul 8, 2011 4:55 AM
Mar 2011
Can you guess which of the following did not happen in this episode?

1. a character dies
2. two penguins are in a bathroom stall, one is peeping, the other is eating toilet paper.
3. a girl does a magical transformation
4. incest

and yes, i already posted that this was going to be very interesting to say the least like a week ago, and most people were wondering is this anime was going to be any good.
taj69Jul 8, 2011 5:07 AM
Jul 8, 2011 4:57 AM

Jan 2010
lol i loved this it was awesome...though that incest i didnt see comming o.o but still great episode...

PS: Penguins are srs biznus dont fck with them X3
Jul 8, 2011 5:24 AM

Nov 2009
this episode is pro. but what i liked most is that they began with "I hate the word "Fate" and ended with it too, and at the very last minute they sprung up "I love the word Fate" to change naive ppls' thinkings about the world. This anime is clearly teaching you about how to change Fate, whether you like it or not, in an epic comedic style with a bit of seriousness. 10/10 so far ... I hope it gets better!!!

Meaningless message: Penguins are Pro. XD
Jul 8, 2011 5:35 AM
May 2011
Really...people who drop an anime on their first episode are stupid... you don't even get much from the first episode...stay 1 or 2 more episodes before crashing an anime.
ban1o.jpg
Jul 8, 2011 5:46 AM

Feb 2010
it was really good until kan kissed his sister.

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Jul 8, 2011 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know what the hell I just watched except that it was pretty and I'm gonna stick around.
Jul 8, 2011 6:10 AM

Oct 2010
i thought i recognised the singer in this OP! arakawa under the bridge OP :D
INCEST :S!
looks very promising, those penguins were so LOL! the best part was when he asked that mum coming out of the shop with her child about the penguin and she told her son to ignore him because he is crazy haha, then when he was running away from the penguin and it was following him and he was like WAAAAA! mega lolz at that!
Jul 8, 2011 6:14 AM

Jun 2009
I really don't know why everyone was so surprised by the incest. This is from the director of Utena people. In Utena there wasn't a single brother and sister that wasn't interested in screwing each other senseless. I saw that last twist coming though not quite as soon.

I expect style over substance with this show. And as already said, this is ten times better than Star driver ever was. This is Utena's true spiritual successor. But that may be jumping the gun. It's only the first episode and there are plenty of ways this can go wrong.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jul 8, 2011 6:16 AM

Apr 2010
Merue said:
it was really good until kan kissed his sister.

Just to clarify, he didn't kiss her (yet).

It's still very much stoppable.
Jul 8, 2011 6:40 AM

Feb 2008
Watching for the penguins.
Jul 8, 2011 6:47 AM

Feb 2011
from the moment I saw the character's noses, I had a hunch it was from the same director as Utena XD

And then the "lets pull something out of your chest"-scene.

Then at the end of the episode with the incest, I was like, yeahhh that's Ikuhara for you
Jul 8, 2011 6:48 AM

Sep 2009
Kan...what the hell, man?

It might just be a coincidence, but the girls' hair colors in the ED, other than someone who appears to be Himari, are Kan's and Shouma's. Lesbian incest? Instant 10/10 right there. This is the most impressive first episode of the season by far, and now I'm all the more excited to see Utena, which is on my PTW (I'm sure for most of you here, it's mainly the other way around, haha).
Jul 8, 2011 7:11 AM

Oct 2010
Sounds to me like 2 animes combined together as follows centered.
For one FLCL and the other once is Excel Saga because of the whole random aspect.
Despite that it was fun.

Sounds to me like Himari got a second chance at the price of a another entity being celestial or spiritual should I say came into her to possess. Now it's kind of obvious in the spoiler
in regards to the possession but I do wonder about this whole computer system here. There is also to determine what is the purpose of the “Survival Game” and of “The Penguin Drum” Anyway, I love normal Himari as follows,

and all her different poses and appearance in the spoiler
I was very sad to see Himari collapsed and suffering on the bed. Damn stupid doctor can stay gloomy and I do think the scans show a brain tumor?

The last thing that made WTF and O_O is the following,

holy shit incest BS! WTF Kanba! What is your purpose here? This is no sleeping beauty. Himari is safe but I have yet to determine what is the world in the spoiler
is only through soul traveling or dreams?

Some elements,
  • Himari once transformed got a nice fan service load into us in the spoiler
    that's OK because her body is quite well done.

• In regards to the OP, bring the following characters in the spoiler now!
    a crazy ass girl with a gun? Some princess wannabe and some pink haired beauty taking drugs? Wow! Now that I want to see.

• It was kind of obvious of the 3 penguins in the OP that it was them in the spoiler
    whether it was them hiding or being in a box frozen.

Anyone though of the following anime:
Penguin Musume Heart

I got vibes from that one too.

zimno said:
Silly zimno you forgot the ecchi one in the spoiler
now that I could live with.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 8, 2011 8:06 AM

Aug 2008
IT's so cute!

But I DON'T GET THE STORY!!!!
ok, at first, I thought the brothers are just sister-complex, BUT WHAT? THAT GUY KISSED HIS SISTER (or intend to kiss her)? in a romantic way!! nevermind the incest (which I usaully really hate), I'm watching this just for the PENGUINNNNS!

AND THE ED!! Did her brothers turned into some magical girls too?? O_O

btw, I smell Summer War in this!
KuriniJul 8, 2011 8:15 AM
Jul 8, 2011 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
That...was interesting. So many things happened in this episode so Im kinda confused to whats going on. Im going to stick with this anime till the end, seems like its worth the watch.

Jul 8, 2011 8:35 AM

Aug 2010
I just found this season's incest anime.

Jul 8, 2011 8:44 AM

Oct 2009
I came.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2011 8:51 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was quite odd. One of those three is definitely delusional. The music's pretty nice.

Yanoflies said:
I came.
Nobody cares.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 8, 2011 8:55 AM

Jan 2010
Okay, that anime threw me off. There were a lot of things I did not expect in this anime

1) Sister dying with 10 minutes. I thought they were going to build up to that later on
2) The whole transformation sequence.......wtf
3) SISTER COMPLEX!!!! BIGGEST WTF?!!!!!!!!

Also, I'm sooooo confused about what's going on. Oh well, I'm going to watching this one
Jul 8, 2011 9:08 AM
Jun 2008
the penguin hat look like macaroni penguin or maybe royal penguin to me
kleeny said:
IT's so cute!

But I DON'T GET THE STORY!!!!
.. I think the story is bout 2 guy trying to prolong the life of Himari by obeying the penguin hatHimari.well, its just first episode anyway =P
Yanoflies said:
I came.
I saw =)
MorningGloryJul 8, 2011 9:12 AM
Jul 8, 2011 9:18 AM

Nov 2008
I found this extremely interesting. The penguin following with the umbrella was hilarious!!! I can't believe Kamba kissed his sister or almost kissed her...that was shocking...

Anyways definitely watching....

Disgustingly cute.....nice wording Shouma..
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jul 8, 2011 9:24 AM

Jun 2009
Suddenly, I don't care about anything else (except Natsume Yuujinchou San).
Jul 8, 2011 9:43 AM
Nov 2010
I don't know what to feel while watching this, Am I supposed to feel happy,sad,or confused.

....I'll go with confused :/
Jul 8, 2011 9:56 AM
Sep 2009
Well, that blew just about every other premier this season away... getting major Utena-vibes. My expectations are high, hope it lives up to them.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 8, 2011 10:01 AM

Nov 2009
I think I will be shafted/gainexed by the end of this series and love it.
Jul 8, 2011 10:02 AM

Jul 2010
It was okay till the KISS -_- still watching it tho..
Jul 8, 2011 10:06 AM

May 2010
@%$%&*#^(@*&$)**$U)#$*P$&#^T^($!$#$&$^%#%@

WHAT THE HECK?!??!?!?
Jul 8, 2011 11:31 AM

Jun 2011
Well....That was interesting.
Love the art, can't wait to see more, although the incest bit irked me off. Oo;
Jul 8, 2011 11:48 AM

Jun 2010
I don't know what the hell happened.....but I do know this.........this anime will be pretty interesting, especially if you have cute little penguins doing house work on the very first episode. Plus the art is awesome. Not to mention the whole "mahou shoujo" transformation scene was pretty awesome in my opinion.
Jul 8, 2011 11:52 AM

Nov 2007
The episode really was all over the place and tried to evoke several polar opposite emotions and present completely different scenarios in matter of minutes. I found it hard to care about the characters at all, and I seriously hope they're not going to keep this pacing up for the rest of the series. But I'm intrigued to watch some more and I do see potential in this show. And I doubt that anything Kunihiko Ikuhara produces can have completely no value.

Also I didn't see the new Coaltar of the Deepers song coming. I was extremely surprised and mad with joy. Definitely the ED of the year for me.
Jul 8, 2011 12:00 PM

Jan 2011
I'm not sure if I want to watch the rest of this series, it's not my style, but I'm so curious about what will happen, I guess I'll stick around for a couple more episodes.
夜露死苦
http://mochichandiscoversjapan.wordpress.com/
Visit my Japan adventures' blog. =3
Jul 8, 2011 12:02 PM

May 2010
I think this anime is going to use the, "Show now, explain later" approach quite a bit.

Did anyone else replay the opening theme like 6 times like I did? Such a good opening. I love the art style too, it's very different and so colorful and vibrant. This is definitely going to be the best this season along with Usagi Drop.

I'm already waiting for the next episode.

5/5
Jul 8, 2011 12:36 PM
Dec 2008
It was good until the incest part........

Most likely will drop this. Just can't understand japanese and their obsession with incest.
Jul 8, 2011 1:39 PM

Jun 2008
Papander said:
It was good until the incest part........

Most likely will drop this. Just can't understand japanese and their obsession with incest.

+1, i agree on this point, it had me interested for the whole episode until the brother decides to kiss his sister in her sleep.... had this not happened i would probably continue to watch but at this point its getting dropped from my list...
Jul 8, 2011 1:39 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah...I dunno...

Gonna put it in my to watch list for the time being and wait until more (all) eps are out and then consider actually watching it. Not really my type of show I'm afraid. The only reason why I even watched this ep was because upon reading the title I remembered reading that Kawakami Tomoko was supposed to be involved in this. So I was only watching this because of her.
Jul 8, 2011 1:58 PM
Dec 2007
I must humbly admit that I didn't know Kunihiko Ikuhara before this episode, having only seen the first few episodes of Utena. Now I can say that I admire and respect the man. This first episode is so outstanding in terms of animation, art, and above all direction, that I don't really know how to rate it. On top of that the music is pitch perfect and the characters are incredibly vivid and quirky... I just loved it. And I guess I need to watch the full Utena series also now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 8, 2011 2:02 PM

Jan 2011
llamaben said:
Pretty good so far. The only downside was yet another terrible song by Yakushimaru Etsuko (thankfully not as bad as her others, though).

I liked the songs idk.
Jul 8, 2011 2:04 PM

May 2009
It was simply pure awesome. That "transformation" scene, man... And then there was the wincest, even better.
Jul 8, 2011 2:14 PM

Jun 2010
whoa they kissed. Aren't they family?

Jul 8, 2011 2:18 PM

Dec 2010
13man18 said:
whoa they kissed. Aren't they family?

Problem?
Jul 8, 2011 2:31 PM
Sep 2010
Okok. This anime seems quite interesting, but.. How the hell is this a slice of life? XD
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 15, 2011

168 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 10:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.