MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Deficits of Astarotte no Omocha Anime Disappoint Manga Author

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
#1
07-05-11, 4:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4489
Mangaka Haga Yui posted on her twitter that she wanted to pay off the huge debt of the Astarotte no Omocha! anime. She regretted that she couldn’t return profits to those who invested in her work. She herself purchased five copies each of the Astarotte no Omocha! Blu-ray and DVDs. She said she will do her best to promote the anime.

Source: Haga’s twitter

Note: The first volume of Astarotte no Omocha Blu-ray sold 1,316 copies.
Modified by Naruleach, 07-05-11, 2:39 PM
 
#2
07-05-11, 4:04 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 969
Well, that's pretty sad. And the anime was actually pretty enjoyable too.
 
#3
07-05-11, 4:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 173
It was watchable, but I was not hooked to it :/
 
#4
07-05-11, 4:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Mediocre show, with a subject that turns away many people who are afraid to be labeled pedophiles or worse. What did she expect anyway?
 
#5
07-05-11, 4:34 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 8311
Pretty sad if you have to buy your own products to support it...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
 
#6
07-05-11, 4:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 334
That's sad I liked it
 
#7
07-05-11, 4:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
it could have been much better if only animation studios followed the manga properly but shes a top woman for trying to boost the success of somthing that was adapted from her manga
 
#8
07-05-11, 4:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5295
londo said:
What did she expect anyway?

pretty much
 
#9
07-05-11, 4:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4280
An extremely underrated series really, but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.
 
07-05-11, 5:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
londo said:
Mediocre show, with a subject that turns away many people who are afraid to be labeled pedophiles or worse. What did she expect anyway?

What's sad is that it's utterly nothing like the synopsis blurbs make it sound and so the knee-jerk reaction it got ended up being totally unwarranted.

It's actually an incredibly sweet, touching story. You could argue, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, that the story was done a disservice by being thinly cloaked in an outrageous-sounding premise. As baito_senshi noted, it creates false impressions for both types of viewers. It sounds ecchi but it really isn't.

A shame, really. It's a great show.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
07-05-11, 5:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5295
err they have to drink cum to keep themselves looking good. the simple fact that THIS even exists in the show automatically sets it a cut below everything else. that is, unless the synopsis is lying and this isn't actually a part of the show...?
 
07-05-11, 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 269
ArbitorOfTime said:
it could have been much better if only animation studios followed the manga properly but shes a top woman for trying to boost the success of somthing that was adapted from her manga

baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really, but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.


All true. It's similar to Kodomo no Jikan although inferior to it, adaptation wise.
If it were more psychological, then maybe it could have worked.
Pedophilia should not a problem if other shows had prepubescent children as main characters. There was more ecchi for older characters.
The threat is stronger than the execution.
 
07-05-11, 5:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3034
baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

"7.08" rating on MAL was jut about right, maybe a bit higher but that was fine for an "okay" or a "mediocre show".

lol @ not ecchi.
 
07-05-11, 5:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 838
At least it's over 1frt.
 
07-05-11, 5:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4280
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:
An extremely underrated series really but it seems that it turned off most people for absolutely different reasons: those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.

"7.08" rating on MAL was jut about right, maybe a bit higher but that was fine for an "okay" or a "mediocre show".

lol @ not ecchi.

If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.
 
07-05-11, 5:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
BigSimo said:
err they have to drink cum to keep themselves looking good. the simple fact that THIS even exists in the show automatically sets it a cut below everything else. that is, unless the synopsis is lying and this isn't actually a part of the show...?

This is just the kind of reaction that is the problem. Yes, that's exactly what we're saying, the synopsis is essentially bullshit - they mention the "chuu" (innuendo for it) in the show but if someone is looking for dick sucking, they'll be sorely disappointed. It gets about as "loli" as a kiss on the forehead.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
07-05-11, 5:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 229
She seems desperate, although I doubt she could do anything about that.

baito_senshi said:
those who dislike ecchi expected it to be filled with ecchi stuff and didn't watch it, and those who like ecchi were left disappointed by the fact it wasn't ecchi at all.


Lol I don't think that's the case. Before watching it I thought it would turn out to be a childish show with magic as it's theme, while it's actually not. There wasn't much ecchi, but it had tons of fan service.
 
07-05-11, 5:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 229
baito_senshi said:
If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.


Erm I don't think you should compare shows.
As far as I know, as long as there's a good amount of body exposure then it's classified as ecchi whether you like it or not.
 
07-05-11, 5:47 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 969
It is ecchi, but it's not just a mindless ecchi like most of the ecchi shows. It has a great heartwarming story with good characters. And it's not just a loli show, there are many adult women as well, and the fanservice is mostly centered around them.
 
07-05-11, 5:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2012
I think the problem with Lotte is that it should have been targeted either at people with a "special preference" or remove all the sexual parts and make it a family friendly heartwarming comedy. In its current state it cannot please the target audience.
 
07-05-11, 5:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3464
So having Rei in it still didn't do the trick? Where are all of those fan boys doing anyway?


"A Legend is just a tale of a beautiful lie."
 
07-05-11, 6:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3286
If her manga was made into a TV show, you think she would have MADE money.
 
07-05-11, 6:13 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1548
i dont mind a free copy thanks
 
07-05-11, 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3034
baito_senshi said:
If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.

LMAO! comparing it to a more ecchier anime doesn't make this "not ecchi". The fact that this involves bathing scenes and milking innuendos just to name a few categorizes this as ecchi.
 
07-05-11, 6:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Guys, it is irrelevant if the shows was actually good or not. What it *sounds like* is what will keep many away. And the Japanese are even more touchy on these, remember the Tokyo anime & manga ban?

For the record I did watch it, but buying it? Hell no, there are better shows to invest on, sorry mangaka-san.
 
07-05-11, 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 419
Isn't this the Hayate no Gotoku rip-off?
 
07-05-11, 6:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 273
I'd buy it if I could. It was probably my favorite show of the spring season. Really need to start reading the manga.
 
07-05-11, 6:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5081
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:
If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.

LMAO! comparing it to a more ecchier anime doesn't make this "not ecchi". The fact that this involves bathing scenes and milking innuendos just to name a few categorizes this as ecchi.
So just because it's under the ecchi category it's already an aberration. That's what you're implying correct?

 
07-05-11, 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 607
Leon-Gun said:
-Quasar said:
baito_senshi said:
If you call THIS ecchi, I'm afraid to even ask what you would call Green Green or Girls Bravo.
Lotte is NOT ecchi, anyone thinking it is must be either a monk or just started with anime a couple days ago.

LMAO! comparing it to a more ecchier anime doesn't make this "not ecchi". The fact that this involves bathing scenes and milking innuendos just to name a few categorizes this as ecchi.
So just because it's under the ecchi category it's already an aberration. That's what you're implying correct?
The F you two implying...
The manga labeled as seinen, the content is "echii" enough, the promotion in magz that they using is eccii material.. so how the feck this isn't ecchii show?

I hope you two just clowning for laugh.
 
07-05-11, 6:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
StealMate said:
Isn't this the Hayate no Gotoku rip-off?

...What?

That's... an interesting spin on it. I don't think that superficial similarities make a show a rip-off. I've seen both Lotte and Hayate, and no they really are not terribly similar, let alone one being a ripoff of the other.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
07-05-11, 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3034
Leon-Gun said:
So just because it's under the ecchi category it's already an aberration. That's what you're implying correct?

Yes. Deal with it.

Seriously, I have never said or implied in any of my post that ecchi = bad. I was explaining why this is ecchi to the other guy.
 
07-05-11, 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 17147
londo said:
Guys, it is irrelevant if the shows was actually good or not. What it *sounds like* is what will keep many away. And the Japanese are even more touchy on these, remember the Tokyo anime & manga ban?

For the record I did watch it, but buying it? Hell no, there are better shows to invest on, sorry mangaka-san.


That ordinance hasn't made much of a dent in either medium, the only thing it did was restrict manga with rape, incest leading to sex, and sex in school. It's the recession, people only have the money for 1-2 titles and because of money constraints they only want the best anime out there.


 
07-05-11, 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 55
Better luck next time. I love her art style.

I really don't think that the anime was bad, but I like the manga better. I can see how the summary would turn a lot of people off, but I'm the kind of person that whenever I hear an outrageous sounding premise, I get curious and want to check the story out.

I guess in the end it just didn't impress all the people who wanted to watch it for the ecchi and it scared away all the people who would have watched it for the story.
 
07-05-11, 7:04 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4112
It was a decent anime, but I would never spend money on it.
 
07-05-11, 7:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1490
That's too sad for her. :(
I pity good manga which are just 'ruined' by anime. (I'm not much of a manga reader though, but I somehow know the feeling).
 
07-05-11, 7:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3939
Quite a surprise. The anime was funny, but maybe japanese lolicons expected more "risky" contents, and so they were disappointed...
 
07-05-11, 7:21 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 350
It's quite obvious why the anime flopped. With a description like that everybody will start thinking it's a hentai or something, no matter how good the story really is.

Just another casualty of the market economy. Move along guys
 
07-05-11, 7:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 5081
my favorite Anime of the season T.T
 
07-05-11, 7:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 17147
mikhailn said:
It's quite obvious why the anime flopped. With a description like that everybody will start thinking it's a hentai or something, no matter how good the story really is.

Just another casualty of the market economy. Move along guys


People need to stop judging a book by it's cover, although a lot of us were looking forward to loli BJs or better, but it turned out to be very heartwarming and no loli sex.


 
07-05-11, 7:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
The fact that it had a 23 year old guy with a daughter falling in love with his 10 year old step daughter was a bit too much and top it off with the fact that she was a succubus and one day would need semen to live I can definitely see why a lot of people were too scared to watch it, but simply the fact that it was a rom/com and the art seemed good was enough for me to watch it, and surprise, it turned out to be pretty good.
It was actually pretty funny and the story was really heart warming..
It's a shame most people are turned off by the fact that it's ecchi with 10 year olds in it, and are too scared to find out what the anime is really like...
 
07-05-11, 7:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 17147
Annoyance said:
The fact that it had a 23 year old guy with a daughter falling in love with his 10 year old step daughter was a bit too much and top it off with the fact that she was a succubus and one day would need semen to live I can definitely see why a lot of people were too scared to watch it, but simply the fact that it was a rom/com and the art seemed good was enough for me to watch it, and surprise, it turned out to be pretty good.
It was actually pretty funny and the story was really heart warming..
It's a shame most people are turned off by the fact that it's ecchi with 10 year olds in it, and are too scared to find out what the anime is really like...


Maybe anime fans haven't recovered from the nightmare that is Kodomo no Jikan, stuff like tampons being inserted scars you for life unlike this which is Chicken Soup for the Soul.


 
07-05-11, 7:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2404
And now the cutest animu of last season will never get a sequel D:
 
07-05-11, 7:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 17147
Metty said:
And now the cutest animu of last season will never get a sequel D:


Blame the fans who mistaken this for nightmare fuel.


 
07-05-11, 7:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
It was an enjoyable show. The synopsis seemed super ecchi, but it was actually surprisingly refreshing that it wasn't that ecchi at all. Cute story. But I wouldn't be able to shell out the money for the Blu-ray, maybe a dvd box set...
 
07-05-11, 7:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
losslesswings said:
I can see how the summary would turn a lot of people off, but I'm the kind of person that whenever I hear an outrageous sounding premise, I get curious and want to check the story out.

It would be nice if people would realize that the more ridiculous the synopsis, the more misleading it tends to be. People freaked out over how B Gata H Kei would be a degenerate slut story, and it ended up being completely monogamous, and approached first-time sex with more sensitivity than almost anything else I've seen.

Lotte is just as misleading a synopsis.

Hoppy said:
Maybe anime fans haven't recovered from the nightmare that is Kodomo no Jikan, stuff like tampons being inserted scars you for life unlike this which is Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Eh, Kojika (going off the anime here, which is all I've seen) was also an incredibly sweet, emotional story when you get past the reputation. It somewhat is more explicit than Lotte, yes. I don't deny that. It's a more serious, dramatic story and therefore does everything a bit more strongly, fanservice and drama both.

But it's the same in that they both suffer similarly overblown negative reputations that cause their really poignant emotional messages to get lost, or at least somewhat overshadowed.

Lotte is actually on my short list of potential imports with a couple other shows, but I can't possibly afford to import every show I want this season (that'd be, like, 8 or 9 in one season...) So it might just barely miss the cutoff for me.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
07-05-11, 7:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 82
BigSimo said:
err they have to drink cum to keep themselves looking good. the simple fact that THIS even exists in the show automatically sets it a cut below everything else. that is, unless the synopsis is lying and this isn't actually a part of the show...?


there are jokes surrounding that but its not actually part of the show :/ tbh it wasnt echhi the only thing that might make it messed up is that protagonist was old enough to be asterottes father.
 
07-05-11, 7:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1165
Despite my earlier differences with this show, it ended up being a sinful and disgusting show.

I am glad that people with morals are not purchasing this show.
Ok™
 
07-05-11, 8:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3481
kinda expected that that's why i did not watch it
 
07-05-11, 8:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4759
McRib said:
I am glad that people with morals are not purchasing this show.

I love how you pull that line on a non-lolicon show while conveniently ignoring that other actual lolicon material does sell - so maybe it has nothing to do with your alleged "morals" after all. Keep living in your fantasy.
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/
 
07-05-11, 8:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 311
feel sorry for her..has to buy her own work to show support... i didnt watch this series though...

 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »