Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

This happens when you skipped the whole Gintama series and just jump to Gintama'

New
Jul 5, 2011 2:34 AM

May 2011
http://www.fandompost.com/2011/07/04/gintama-episode-215-review/

I accidentally saw this review on the internet while browsing. This guy,the reviewer, was pathetic. He don't know about the important characters because he didn't watch the first season.

I'm just curious if there is someone here who also did the same thing,skipping the first part of the series.

Jul 5, 2011 5:57 PM

Nov 2010
yea ive seen a couple people who were bashing Gintama' without even watching the first part. its pretty annoying.
Jul 6, 2011 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
Pretty stupid to critique a continuation of a series when you haven't even seen the first half. It's like reviewing a movie sequel and not even seeing the first part and then being lost because you don't get the references to the first part or the characters.

So to the guy that reviewed the episode, he does not understand the plot-building in 215. It may lack some comedy and the main cast of characters, but it does have character development on the main antagonists. It was like the show was taking a little detour.

I just can't get it in my head on why he did not watch the first 201 episodes first and then watch Gintama'. I finished the first Gintama in 2 weeks and caught up with Gintama' already, it's not that hard if you marathon the whole thing like with every other long anime. It's not even that long compared to other popular shows like Naruto or Bleach.
Jul 6, 2011 5:05 AM
Apr 2009
That guy is a moron. Of course you aren't going to understand who Takasugi/Kamui/Haresume Space Pirates if you haven't watched the first 200 episodes. Why even bother making a review if you don't know what your talking about.
Jul 6, 2011 7:57 AM

Jul 2010
Who cares... There some people who really take it too seriously. Lets that dude watching anime the way he wants. It's just anime.
Jul 7, 2011 3:52 PM

Jul 2007
Vinhthehero said:
Pretty stupid to critique a continuation of a series when you haven't even seen the first half. It's like reviewing a movie sequel and not even seeing the first part and then being lost because you don't get the references to the first part or the characters.

I just can't get it in my head on why he did not watch the first 201 episodes first and then watch Gintama'. I finished the first Gintama in 2 weeks and caught up with Gintama' already, it's not that hard if you marathon the whole thing like with every other long anime. It's not even that long compared to other popular shows like Naruto or Bleach.

I think that only makes logic in his head. Like any normal person would start watching a direct sequel of something and then complain that they aren't understanding what's going on because of "lack of context".

"This episode felt like a whole lot of nothing in the end though because, probably due to my missing about a hundred and fifty episodes, I haven’t a clue who any of these characters"
Yeah... probably, Sherlock.
Jul 9, 2011 2:11 PM
Feb 2008
I haven't watched the first season and started right with the new episodes. Why? Hm, 201 episodes are a lot to watch and sometimes I like it to first see the second season and than go back to the past by watching the first season. It kinda feels like a time-machine or something. ^^° Of course it's a disatvantage to not know about the backgrounds of the characters but the more interesting it will be when I watch the first season someday.
Jul 10, 2011 5:27 PM

Oct 2010
you should REALLY stop watching anime like that hollyblue
Jul 10, 2011 6:25 PM

Jan 2009
Moklyop is right. You might as well watch the whole anime in reverse order, starting with the last episode. Watching an anime in reverse season order will give you major spoilers if you decide to pick up the first season afterwards.

201 episodes shouldn't be a lot to watch. Once you watch a lot of anime, 201 would be nothing. Just sit and marathon through for a couple of days. By the time you reach episode 201, you'll be surprised how fast the anime went.
Jul 11, 2011 2:14 PM
Feb 2008
Moklyop said:
you should REALLY stop watching anime like that hollyblue

There is no law against it, isn't it? Maybe you should try it out, it is really fun to do something in a different way than usual. It's not that I always start with the second season, but it is really refreshing to do that once in a while. And as long as I have fun, it is ok for me. ^^

I don't complain if I don't understand something or if something doesn't make sense to me, because I know that there is a prequel, instead I try to figure it out. So I don't bother anyone with my behaviour.

Anyone should be allowed to watch anime as they want to. Theoretically I could start with the last episode and watch the whole anime backwards (I guess I won't do that though). But it's my thing to decide.

Hisagi-Chan said:
well you can expect that Gintama' will have lots of episoded too

One episode per week isn't much. Well, I'm not afraid of series with much episodes, all I wanted to say was that if it would have about 12 episodes I would have watched it before. ^^
Jul 16, 2011 11:03 AM

Jul 2010
Omg I hate people like the one who did the review, just stop btching about one of the best anime's out there because YOU are too lazy to watch the first season >.< *sigh*
Jul 16, 2011 11:15 AM
May 2011
this reminds me of my freind who bashed clannad after story before watching the orignal,

why do so many dumbasses exist in this day and age
Jul 23, 2011 4:52 AM

Jul 2010
I didn't skip the original. I watched the first series last summer.

That reviewer is an idiot.
This world already has enough idiots. We don't need another one but idiots are like rabbits. They multiply.
Jul 23, 2011 2:26 PM
Feb 2008
i jumped to Gintama' and i think it's awesome. Guess we're different.

To me it's like meeting someone for the first time. You don't need to hear their life story from the beginning of their life to know if you like them or not.
Jul 24, 2011 6:39 AM

Feb 2008
Corleone said:
Who cares... There some people who really take it too seriously. Lets that dude watching anime the way he wants. It's just anime.

This.

Please Gintama fanbase, don't turn into One piece fanbase.
Jul 24, 2011 8:57 AM
Jun 2011
Indeed.

As much as I enjoy Gintama, there's no need to get up on a high horse when some one doesn't agree with my opinion. All it does in the end is drive them farther away.
Jul 25, 2011 1:58 AM
Nov 2009
Xelzy said:
Corleone said:

This.

Fanatics are everywhere. And they are pretty much same.

But it is really better to learn the 1st season =) Just advice
Jul 25, 2011 6:56 AM

Sep 2008
For what I see I don't really know what ep that he stop watch since he said he skip 50-100 ep so maybe he watch first season that skip but the point is why he review anime when he don't know what he was miss and just rate it.
Jul 25, 2011 7:26 AM
Jun 2011
Why skip? 201 episodes are nothing~, you can only skip if you have read the manga first, right?

Don't bother watching the ova: the birth of shiroyasha.
Jul 26, 2011 12:51 AM

Apr 2010
Meh, I've seen what was on the first three DVD sets of the first season and then some. I figured I'd just jump right into Gintama' and let the unknown details fill themselves out over time as I watch the rest of the original 201. The show is too high of a caliber to just throw out stuff without context like that.

And yes, for most people, 201 is a lot of episodes to make up, and not everyone likes to, or has the time to, marathon. My studies at my university require a lot of research, and this coming year I will be a graduate assistant expected to plug in at least 20 hours of helping out my department in addition to my 9 hours of graduate classes (plus the uncounted hours researching & reading). I don't have time to marathon. Regardless, even on the occasions when I do, my anime watching pace is so distracted that I usually get only a little done. I think my record for episodes of a single show in one sitting is 8 episodes that I watched of Omamori Himari a few months ago.

I'm watching the first season little by little. It's a particularly nice antidote of sorts to watch after some particularly dramatic or intense series.

And if you're going to review a series like that guy is, don't be an idiot. At least use Wikipedia or something if you have questions.
"Don't worry girls, explosions fix everything!" --Nabeshin (the Excel Saga one)
Jul 26, 2011 5:10 PM

Jul 2009
Xelzy said:
Corleone said:

This.

In every fan base there are good and bad fans. No exception.

About the reviewer. He seriously needs to shut the fuck up.

Episodes like this, however, are the most frustrating because it just doesn’t work in the slightest for me because there isn’t a shred of context for anyone. If it was the middle of the arc, that’s one thing and I wouldn’t raise an eyebrow, but with it being the start of one, there’s no context provided here and no connection with the core cast of characters not even in the show outside of the opening and closing sequences.

What does he expect? He didn't even watch ALL OF the first season. He is a joke of a reviewer.
Jul 26, 2011 7:14 PM

Jul 2011
The guy is just lame
Aug 1, 2011 11:42 AM

Oct 2009
Nobody in their right minds would do that anyway -______-'
Aug 14, 2011 5:06 PM

Oct 2008
Why would you start watching from the middle?
Try doing that for Naruto, One Piece or whatever, it wouldn't even make much sense and there's no story or attachment to the characters and how they act.
Aug 14, 2011 10:54 PM
Dec 2010
I just saw the first 3 episodes & episode 152 of the first season & watched the movie & the specials & now I'm watching the second season !!
Aug 14, 2011 10:56 PM

Aug 2011
proven fact, some people are just idiots,

this honestly reminds me of my freind that came complaining to me that clannad after story was confusing when he never watch the first season.....plus even if you got ot he second season how could you find it confusing?
Mar 2, 2012 5:06 PM

May 2011
ignorance i swear
-Kenshin-Mar 2, 2012 5:13 PM
Mar 7, 2012 7:10 PM

Aug 2009
i lol...if i understand what the reviewer is btching about is Takasugi? saying that he just show up without any reason as a villain? no past?...
rofl...i dont remeber the no. ep but takasugi show up really early in the series ( 1st appearance/story of Gengai - takasugi visit him and in the festival he met gintoki again also reminding gintoki his past that he comand a group- ) maybe between ep 5 - 20

a lot of gintoki and katsu past is revealed very early in the ep even without reaching ep 30..so there is a solid background of the characters
Mar 8, 2012 4:59 AM

May 2011
Oh, what a irony there...
Well, I'm just watch the movie, not the first season. But I can still understand the character.
Mar 9, 2012 4:27 AM

May 2010
The hell is wrong with that person ? Seriously. Who would understand an anime in which you started to watch the sequel. He′s a total DUMBASS !
‘‘I haven’t a clue who any of these characters are.’’ — You don′t say ?; Of course you wouldn′t, stupid . How are you going to have a clue about the characters, if you didn′t watch the first season ? Are you crazy dude . If he were to be my friend, I would most certainly punch him straight in the face.

To be honest, the first time I wanted to watch Gin Tama, I was hesitant because of the number of episodes. But I didn′t back out, because I knew that Gin Tama is my new start; and 'Mother of God.' Gin Tama is so EPIC and AWESOME. I′m glad I picked that up. But to that person, he has no sense of humor at all. He didn′t watch the whole first season, and now he′s complaining about the second season ? Does he really wanted to be killed that badly ?
Even if you′ve read the Manga, for the best, don′t skip on the Anime. Who knows ? They might′ve made some slight changes in the Anime from the Manga. I know that 201 Episodes is a pain in the ass, but you know, it′s totally worth it.

But that the person, with his review, I′m gonna hunt you down and punch your face and tell you that you are a complete DUMBASS. If he doesn′t have a clue in any of the AWESOME characters, then he should watch it from the start, understand it carefully, and f*cking start to review more nicely. Why am I getting worked up over a pitiful review ? -______-'

Either way, I′m not that idiotic like him. We should just leave him be, together with his idiocy.
Mar 20, 2012 12:01 PM
Mar 2012
I don't even know why there is a difference between gintama and gintama' since it's 100% the same thing, and yeah people SHOULD take it seriously since it's supposed to be a REVIEW
Mar 21, 2012 5:23 AM

May 2010
Shaduge said:
I don't even know why there is a difference between gintama and gintama' since it's 100% the same thing, and yeah people SHOULD take it seriously since it's supposed to be a REVIEW

OH GOD WHY ?
Yes yes, they are the 'same' since Gintama' is just the continuation. Still, people should watch the first season first, because there are a lot of new characters in Gintama' than in Gintama .
Mar 21, 2012 5:39 AM

Nov 2010
UsuiAyuzawa said:
Shaduge said:

OH GOD WHY ?
Yes yes, they are the 'same' since Gintama' is just the continuation. Still, people should watch the first season first, because there are a lot of new characters in Gintama' than in Gintama .

and even tho Gintama seems like a plotless anime there are still bits scattered throughout the episodes that contribute to the underlying plot.
Mar 22, 2012 11:45 AM
Mar 2012
What I meant is there shouldn't be a Gintama', simply continue the anime with the same name.
Mar 22, 2012 4:04 PM

Jun 2009
Fuzzx said:
yea ive seen a couple people who were bashing Gintama' without even watching the first part. its pretty annoying.

People who bash Gintama lol what they say don't matter most that bash the show have not seen the first part of the series.
Mar 23, 2012 5:16 PM

Feb 2008
As far as I know I finish the whole Gintama seasons and watch around 13 eps or Gintana', Why would anyone do a review when he start watching the serie from the middle, watching the beginning give u details on most characters, thats plain stupid. I wouldn't give it a D Rank also o.o

Mar 23, 2012 7:04 PM

Apr 2010
Hahaha... that review is pretty bad. Gintama is not that bad, but not that great either, I agree with him on some points... but most of the review is retarded and hardly credible.
Oct 9, 2012 12:18 AM

Nov 2011
So i was thinking of skipping the 1st season but according to this thread it'd be a bad idea, can abyone tell me if i can just read the manga for the 1st season, if yes what chapter can i stop so i can start the 2nd..........or
if the 1st season anime has fillers, which episodes i can skip as i prefer to watch animes than read mangas

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 9, 2012 12:32 AM

Jun 2012
gintama don't have much filler. it have only 9 or 10 of 201 episodes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tthammy - Jun 2, 2011

232 by lordgaara »»
Apr 2, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Barion-Zara - Aug 29, 2011

99 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 11, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 48 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SilentTruth - Mar 5, 2012

113 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Feb 20, 2012

132 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Gintama' Episode 45 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tomislavr7 - Feb 13, 2012

106 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 5, 10:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.