Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character overall?
0.0%
20.0%
10.0%
12.5%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
0.0%
I don't know this character
57.5%
40 votes
Jun 20, 2008 6:48 PM

Jan 2008
Spotlight Character: Shuurei Kou (Saiunkoku Monogatari)

MAL Character Information Page: Shuurei Kou

MAL Favorite Character: #524 (with 51 favorites)

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with Kou discuss what they think makes her an exceptional character. What attributes make her stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL

Shuurei Kou did NOT get inducted into the club Character list:
13 Yes - 15.29%
10 No - 11.76%

62 I don't know this Character - 72.94% of the total number polled

BlackMagicAug 10, 2008 10:21 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 20, 2008 9:12 PM

Jun 2007
I haven't started the second season yet though, so my evaluation is only limited to the first.

What I like about Shuurei is that she isn't your typical anime girl made for fanservice. She isn't physically unnattractive or anything like that, but it's her intelligence that makes her stand out. Throughout the show she used her head to overcome the many challenges that came her way (although she did consider her romantic relations).

She's also driven to succeed and fulfill her dreams. When everyone was telling her that what she wanted was not within her grasp, or if she did accomplish some of her goals but people started pushing her down, she went on with her strong will and determination.

She's quite funny too XD There were some moments with her and Ryuuki, or her and Sakujun that really made me laugh.

Anyone (not just females) who watches Sauinkoku Monogatari will really be inspired by Shuurei (as well as the other female characters in the anime). Instead of her showing you to be all clumsy, cute (or depend on your looks in general) to get the guy you like to like you back, she's telling you to make use of your intelligence and persevere to accomplish all your goals (whether it's about love or career). 9/10
^_^
Jun 20, 2008 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
Second season will shoot your rating down. D:

I'd agree with everything above, as pertaining strictly to first season. Second season, our heroine turns into an insipid Mary-Sue. Yes we get the point. She's a really nice girl. She's going to save the day. She's an absolute drag to watch. And the poor quality of the sickness arc overall doesn't help matters. I'd give second season Shuurei a 6/10.

That leaves us with a 7.5 average and an hearty no from me. Way to drop the ball there, Saimono writers. I've added one to my list of sequels that absolutely failed to add up to the original.
Jun 20, 2008 9:40 PM

Nov 2007
I have to agree with both Jet2rocks and Kasumisama here. Kou Shuurei was a great character in the first season, but for some reason they've really dumbed her character down in season 2.

I'm witholding final judgementuntil the end of season 2, but as Kasumisama says, she'll probably save the day in the end. I'm curious to see how they can improve her character after the woefully inept handling of her so far.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jun 21, 2008 9:28 PM

May 2007
^, ^^, & ^^^ What they said.

I think she was a unique and interesting character in season 1, especially in light of having a heroine who has her own goals and ambitions to pursue despite being smack dab in the middle of a reverse harem. Second season... well, it's lost a bunch of it's shine and her along with it.

That said, despite the good chemistry of the first season and her unique, self-centered (in a good way) agenda, I don't know if I personally would have put her in the highest echelon of anime characters even if the second season didn't exist. I like her bunches, but she's a no for me.
Jun 22, 2008 1:36 PM

Sep 2007
In the first season she is a really unique(in a good way) from the the other anime girls that you usually see. She isn't dumb and air headed and all thattypical stuff. She is strong both in intelligence and character. She aims for her goal in a male - dominated society where she doesn't get any praise for anything good she does and is stepped on (so to say) by the men. She also does consider her feelings towards the emperor, but she still decides to go for her goal, which truly is admirable among the stereotypical female leads we usually see.

In the second season ( I have only come to ep. 16, so I don't know all of it) she does change a bit, but she is still strong willed. First of all, i give her praise for the fact that she says and means that she is willing to have her head cut of to make the people that blame her for the illness stop. Not every character would be willing to go that far just to save the province she/he is the gouvernour of. And, she does meet many obstacles when trying to help the people that are ill. Yes, she is more of a save the day, but not to the extenct you would think. She has lots of help and is a nice person. I still find her one of the best female lead characters in anime that I've ever seen.

EDIT: She does also get fired from her position because she helps the people, so she still meets lots of obstacles and discrimination from the men.
Jun 22, 2008 6:40 PM

Jul 2006
i really liked her...

i think she's a modern-kinda girl in a feudal era. and i thought she was wonderfully portrayed, but honestly i wouldnt vote her into the relations. it just doesnt seem right atm.
Jun 22, 2008 9:30 PM

Nov 2007
I'll be brief. I've only seen the first season so far, so that's all my review is based off of.

Shuurei was an incredible inspiration for me. She had a dream and she pursued it, even when she met enormous opposition. In a world dominated by men, she stood out not only by being one of the only female leaders, but by her amazing leadership skills. She is logical AND emotional and knows when thinking by one or the other is appropriate. She has romantic relations just like any other girl, but she does not fall into a giggling schoolgirl syndrome nor does she let it affect her in extremely negative ways. She has a wonderful relationship with her father, is adored by many for her selfless attempts to help people, and is respected by quite a few men in her work industry. She may not be physically strong, but she has a heart of gold and the willpower of a beast. She is honest, loyal, and talented. I will most likely vote yes.
Jun 23, 2008 12:23 AM

Jun 2007
E_chan said:
EDIT: She does also get fired from her position because she helps the people, so she still meets lots of obstacles and discrimination from the men.

I hope that isn't a spoiler >_<
^_^
Jun 23, 2008 8:55 AM

Mar 2007
I have to agree. First season Shuurei was pretty awesome (minus the fact that I felt like she was almost fake), but once you hit second season, she goes down the popper D:

Basically the almost-fake feeling I had in first season became a complete reality in second season. She seems far-less intelligent, too mary-sue, and she just doesn't seem realistic anymore.

(Randomly: I was more Shuurei/Ryuuki, dammit.)

Jun 24, 2008 7:12 AM

Feb 2008
jet2r0cks said:
E_chan said:

I hope that isn't a spoiler >_<

I think that a spoiler, cause I recently watched only surgery operation recently, and I think that's the latest I got. Well Shuurei, I like her, from my point of view she's so cute XD, I just hoped theres a girl like her in reality, well it's just a hope that maybe never come true.

Indeed 2nd season there's a chnage from my favorite shuurei at season 1, but I just can't hate her or her change...shuurei-addicted disease. development from seaason 1 that made her a unique character, and I can't say much about 2nd season cause it's not finished yet...hope fansubber release the series faster.
Jun 24, 2008 10:13 AM

Nov 2007
I've seen 29 episodes from the first season, so I think I have a good grip on her. I'm pretty sure this has all been said before: She's a hardworking girl in a mens dominated society who manages to fight her way through the hindrances and reach her dream, so with that in mind, she's pretty different from most female characters nowadays (she's not there for the fan service or being overly clumsy or just downright moe.
Saying that, I don't think Saiunkoku Monogatari has any outstanding characters, but is more focused on the relations between all of the characters(sorry if I'm going off-topic).
Since I don't think she's an outstanding character, I won't be voting ''yes'' in the "You Decide"-poll.
That is all.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.