Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2011 6:14 AM
Jul 2010
How many chapters/volumes can be in one anime episode?
Im really curious to know!

Thanks
Jun 28, 2011 7:00 AM

Sep 2008
there really is no average, it all depends, but for sure it's more then 1 chapter atleast.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 28, 2011 7:04 AM

Mar 2011
One volume is like 2-3 episodes
Courtesy of Paul
Jun 28, 2011 7:34 AM

Feb 2010
Depends.

My memory is hazy but I believe when the anime is about to catch up to the manga, it about or close to 1 chapter per episode, that's why the pacing can be erratic and sometimes unbearable.
Jun 28, 2011 1:26 PM

Mar 2009
I think it depends on if the manga is weekly or monthly really. With a weekly manga, it's likely to be 2-3 chapters per episode (and if there's an extra long first chapter, then that might get its own ep, see Kekkaishi). At least until it catches up and has to do 1 chapter per ep (which can be very annoying if it's a fighting type anime because those fighting panels take up no time whatsoever when animated) which can result in ungodly slow pacing that was perfectly fine in the manga or the anime can enter into fillerville interludes.

Bimonthly series can do either 1 or 2 chapter per episode, depending on the series and content (see Monster, which followed its manga freakishly to the letter, but some eps were 1 manga chapter and others were 2-3, mostly depending on action sequences I think, but also pacing).

If it's a monthly, they get less material at a time and will catch up pretty quickly so it's more likely to be 1 chapter per ep (see Mushi-shi). Depending on the popularity of the original materal, they may stretch this adding filler in from day 1 until they run out material and go into entire filler arcs (see Kodomo no Omocha, which has an OVA that covers the entire first volume but the TV series makes the first volume of 4 or 5 chapters into 6 eps and only expands from there. It ends up covering the first 4 volumes of material in about 52 episodes)

If it's a monthly series that they decide to make an OVA out of, however, those can usually be somewhere around 1 volume per ep (see Please Save My Earth, which honestly deserves a much longer adaptation at the very least). It'll probably leave out some more minor things, including any minor filler panels the manga may have had.

Well, those are my estimates! All depends on the length between chapter serialization and how realistically they can spread it out without it sucking. For me personally, Mushi-shi is the rare example where the blank time left for atmosphere really makes the anime far superior to the original manga (I can tell you that the chapters sure don't take 22 minutes to read) so it doesn't necessarily denote quality or lack thereof.
Jun 28, 2011 3:08 PM

Jul 2008
Miora-san said:

If the anime is very fast-paced and skips over a lot of the manga content, yeah, that's quite accurate.

In some instances though, it's 4-6 episodes per volume, particularly when it comes to shounen.
Jun 28, 2011 3:11 PM

Mar 2011
YoungVagabond said:
Miora-san said:

If the anime is very fast-paced and skips over a lot of the manga content, yeah, that's quite accurate.

In some instances though, it's 4-6 episodes per volume, particularly when it comes to shounen.

It was a rough estimate on 12 episode series' and at times 24 episode series'.
Courtesy of Paul
Jun 28, 2011 4:17 PM

Mar 2009
It depends on the number of pages in a chapter and the length of the episode.
Jul 3, 2011 6:39 PM

Jul 2011
it really all depends on the style of the manga and how they do the anime

for example, Naruto averages around 1/2 chapters per episode (sometimes 0.5 or even 3)
where Bleach seems to average a lot higher than that, some episodes cover 6 chapters of manga! thats the highest im aware of, but Bleach and Naruto have different styles of telling the story via the anime
Jul 4, 2011 3:01 AM

Jul 2010
If it's the first episode, most likely covers the first chapter since the debut of a new manga will be at least 50 pages.
For monthly manga, most likely 1 or 2 chapters - usually 30-40 pages.
Weekly manga, around 3-5 chapters - 20 pages at the most. (I'm guessing but I know it's three chapters)
Jul 4, 2011 11:47 PM

Dec 2010
A chapter usually covers 1 or 2 episodes, but it will occasionally be more or less depending on the length of each chapter.

Apr 15, 2016 9:39 AM

Jan 2010
It all depends on the animation studio and what they are trying to do. Early one piece is a good example of this as they were doing about 2 chapters per episode. For quite some time now One Piece has slowed to .75 or 1 episode a chapter as Marineford arc was only 30 chapters but 32 anime episodes and the post war arc was 16 chapters but 26 anime episodes. On the other side of that we have OnePunch-Man which covers about 3 chapters per episode. 12 episodes of OnePunch-man gets us all the way up to the 36th punch.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Apr 15, 2016 9:40 AM

Dec 2015
Depends, but it mostly is 2 or more chapters per episode
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 15, 2016 12:04 PM

Oct 2014
It depends on a lot of stuff. Dagashi Kashi adapted 4 chapters per episode, at least at the start, while One Piece adapts less than one chapter per episode (not counting filler episodes). Light novels have even more variation as the standard is considered to be 1 LN = 3 episodes but Chuunibyou adapts 1 novel per 12 episode season and Haruhi adapted 3 chapters into 8 episodes (endless eight).
Nov 27, 2019 8:13 AM
Sep 2018
Very informative discussion here. Thanks everyone for info's.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Dec 1, 2019 7:06 AM

Oct 2008
Depends on. Usually 1 volume = 3 episodes, but some super fast paced Anime like Inuyasha Kanketsuhen, 1 episode = 3 volumes, so yeah.

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1042 by codelyok13 »»
6 hours ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 6 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
6 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Apr 17, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.