Forum Settings
Forums

Warner Announces Japanese Live Action Film of Rurouni Kenshin

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 27, 2011 6:16 PM

Jun 2011
Don't know if I'll watch it, it might be a great or terrible adaption.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Jun 27, 2011 6:22 PM

Aug 2008
SagaraYuzuru said:
I was afraid when it said Warner Bros, because then I expected another DB live. But then again, Rurouni Kenshin cannot be done in that type of fashion, since everything in the series screams "Japan". I'm glad that they use Japanese actors, but will this be good? No idea.

same here! The word "Warner Bros" worry me... I won't watch it, but let's hope the actors will all be JAPANESE when they are supposed to be JAPANESE!
Jun 27, 2011 6:44 PM

Feb 2008
sigh......another one.....

whatever happened to trigun....akira.....bleach? whatever...
Jun 27, 2011 6:46 PM

Dec 2007
Pixy-Stix said:
Anyone who says the movie will suck because of Westerners is a weeaboo/communist.

You don't have to be from the same country as the character you're playing to be awesome.

Just ask Hugh Jackman, Australian as Logan/Wolverine, Canadian.

If the movie sucks, it'll be because it sucks. Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender don't suck because Asians were replaced by Westerners. They suck because they're terrible movies.

Do you seriously think it's the same thing if a white guy of one nationality plays a white guy of another nationality? Particularly if there's NOTHING inherently nationalistic about the character?

The first sign DBE and TLA were going to suck were when they were too lazy to find people of asian descent and just went and got more white people. Avatar is DRENCHED in asian culture, and you went and picked a bunch of white people? Already I know you don't care.

Anyway. Takeru Sato is an amazing actor. I've seen him play six different roles in the same show, all to great effect. He'll make a good Kenshin. Just don't screw up the action scenes.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jun 27, 2011 6:47 PM

Dec 2009
I guess that's good news, I hope it turns out to be a good movie.
Jun 27, 2011 6:48 PM

Feb 2008
Pixy-Stix said:
Anyone who says the movie will suck because of Westerners is a weeaboo/communist.

You don't have to be from the same country as the character you're playing to be awesome.

If the movie sucks, it'll be because it sucks. Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender don't suck because Asians were replaced by Westerners. They suck because they're terrible movies.

Clearly you do not know what a communist is, and if you do, then shame on you for using the phrase incorrectly.

Fun Fact about Wolverine, in the original pilot for the 90s X-Men cartoon he had an Australian accent.

Now on the subject at hand. Satou Takeru eh? Well that's promising. If the director is good then perhaps this movie will be too.
Jun 27, 2011 6:54 PM

Jun 2009
As long as the actor is asian then there's no problem
Jun 27, 2011 7:08 PM

Sep 2009
But it's more fun to see everyone bitch over things.

-looks at the comments-
Ah shit my wish came true.
The entitled bitching remains!
Jun 27, 2011 7:10 PM

Dec 2010
I'm planning on watching this. I hope it isn't cheesy.

Jun 27, 2011 7:15 PM
Nov 2010
I didn't know if this was good or bad, but after seeing the actor.... Oh well, a good caracterization can solve it. Still.... just hope it'll be good.
Jun 27, 2011 7:29 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
SageShinigami said:

Anyway. Takeru Sato is an amazing actor. I've seen him play six different roles in the same show, all to great effect. He'll make a good Kenshin. Just don't screw up the action scenes.

I agree, Den-O + all the Imagin were decent enough. At least the goofy side of Kenshin is covered.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 27, 2011 7:33 PM

Jun 2010
I really hope this works out.
Jun 27, 2011 8:00 PM

Feb 2008
Justinijan said:
Yeah i hope that the movie will be watchable !
this is the best i can hope for.
Jun 27, 2011 8:00 PM
Nov 2008
Do not want.
Jun 27, 2011 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
So...when are we gonna get more news on the anime.
Jun 27, 2011 8:03 PM

May 2010
hmm i'll definitely check this one out

~Nyaaa~

Jun 27, 2011 8:16 PM

Dec 2008
Hey, if its made in Japan and funded by Warner Brothers, I have high hopes for this one. It should be a while till it comes out though, unfortunately.
Jun 27, 2011 8:27 PM
Apr 2011
and2one said:
As long as they don't screw it up like they did DB fine by me. I still get nausea thinking about the DB fail and I'm really nervous about the Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves. Not to mention the rumors about an american Death Note with Zac Efron.

DX DX DX DX DX PLEASE DON`T SAY ZAC EFFRON AND DEATH NOTE IN THE SAME SENTENCE WHILE WE ARE DISCUSSING MOVIES DX DX DX DX DX

Anyways, as long as everyone is Japanese it is fine with me and it`s Satoh Takeru : )

(SAME THING WITH BEPOP)
Jun 27, 2011 8:27 PM

Oct 2008
kindergraph said:
jesus christ, do you people not read past the headlines?

THIS IS A JAPANESE FILM FROM A JAPANESE DIRECTOR WITH JAPANESE ACTORS. the involvement of warner bros. doesn't make it any more american since it's being produced by its JAPANESE branch.

lol this is what I was just about to say. Don't forget it was Warner Bros Japan who distributed the Death Note movies. I thought it'd be obvious just by seeing who is going to play Kenshin.
Jun 27, 2011 8:35 PM
Apr 2011
kokocho said:
kindergraph said:

THIS IS A JAPANESE FILM FROM A JAPANESE DIRECTOR WITH JAPANESE ACTORS. the involvement of warner bros. doesn't make it any more american since it's being produced by its JAPANESE branch.

lol this is what I was just about to say. Don't forget it was Warner Bros Japan who distributed the Death Note movies. I thought it'd be obvious just by seeing who is going to play Kenshin.

It`s for safety measures. nobody wants to see a bad Kenshin movie XD XD XD
Jun 27, 2011 8:36 PM

May 2007
As a huuuuge fan of RuroKen I can hardly wait to see this movie! There were some rumours about it last summer, and I'm so happy that they were proved to be true!
I know adaptations like this might turn out bad as well, but since Sato Takeru is an excellent actor (plus Watsuki himself said he was the top on his list of "who could play Kenshin", so... :D) and the director did an awesome job on Ryoumaden I think it's gonna be all right this time :)

This year is truly amazing for us, Kenshin fans, even if we don't get anything else (come on, re-releases, game, new anime, live action movie...) I think we cannot complain about this anniversary. The only thing left would be a manga, and a nice one-shot would be so great indeed... I wouldn't mind a break in the Embalming series :))
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Jun 27, 2011 9:21 PM

Jul 2010
EPIC :D cant wait to see it
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Jun 27, 2011 9:54 PM

Sep 2008
I want to hear "Hiten-Mitsurugi Stylllllllllllllllllle"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2011 10:06 PM

May 2010
Great, some white guy is going to play Kenshin
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 27, 2011 10:24 PM
Aug 2010
interesting...
When you're miserable, you need to make someone even more miserable than yourself. - Lucy
Jun 27, 2011 10:33 PM

Apr 2010
How adorable.

Jun 27, 2011 10:52 PM

Jul 2009
I approve. Massively.

But I must post a RuPaul quote: "Don't fBEEP it up."
Jun 27, 2011 10:58 PM

Aug 2009
carosene said:
I approve. Massively.

But I must post a RuPaul quote: "Don't fBEEP it up."

I won't be crawling to see this, but I love Kenshin so this is somewhat exciting. I wonder how they'll pull off the action scenes with finesse. Will wait for the reviews haha.

Jun 27, 2011 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
Confucius said:

because satoh takeru is a white name
removed-userJun 28, 2011 5:14 AM
Jun 27, 2011 11:19 PM
Nov 2008
I'll save everyone three pages of reading.

'OMG MURRIKA GONNA RUIN MAH ANIMU'

- Typical weeaboo
Jun 27, 2011 11:24 PM

Oct 2007
TAKERU WILL BE AN AMAZING KENSHIN. OMG OMG OMG.

and i love the amount of fail in the comments right now. it's a japanese movie. they do remakes of manga/anime ALL THE TIME. this has nothing to do with amurrrika.

Confucius said:

Very white indeed
katsupJun 27, 2011 11:28 PM
Jun 27, 2011 11:37 PM

Dec 2010
I have heard this some time ago in a different board and finally

Ryoutarou Nogami will be Sword Form minus Momotaros!

*cue in the original Double Action song sung in old Japanese style*
Koboreochiru suna no you ni dare mo toki tomerarenai
Sono sadame okasu mono "boku ga" "ore ga" keshite miseru kanarazu

Jibun no naka dare ka ga sawagidasou to shite iru
Ore no toki wo matte 'ru seigyo dekinai shoudou

Right now me wo somuketara rekishi ga kuzurete 'ku
Kaze sae mo sakende iru "mezame yo atsuku"....
HyperCobaltMaxJun 27, 2011 11:45 PM
Jun 27, 2011 11:42 PM

May 2010
So who is going to play Hiko?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 27, 2011 11:45 PM

Aug 2010
Not sure about this...with a decent script it could work, just don't butcher it...
Jun 27, 2011 11:46 PM

Feb 2008
katsup said:
TAKERU WILL BE AN AMAZING KENSHIN. OMG OMG OMG.

and i love the amount of fail in the comments right now. it's a japanese movie. they do remakes of manga/anime ALL THE TIME. this has nothing to do with amurrrika.

Confucius said:

Very white indeed

Well yes Kenshin is very white indeed. I know your point was to point out how stupid confucius and a lot of people in this thread are for not reading anything beyond "warner" but upon seeing Kenshin I couldn't resist saying it.
Jun 28, 2011 12:53 AM

Apr 2008
o.o;

I don't...

I know it's going to be about the Edo Peroid, but I can mostly imagine it as just plain fun and special effects. Not a winner of a movie.

Oh, and bring Aoshi ;)
Jun 28, 2011 1:16 AM

Dec 2009
Pixy-Stix said:

Seconded with every fiber of my being.
Jun 28, 2011 2:08 AM
Jun 2008
DBE sucked because they didn't take it seriously & tried to westernize it. Airbender sucked because Shyamalan is a self indulgent hack & tried to westernize it.

This film will suck for entirely different reasons.

I don't like Japanese live action adaptions any more than Hollywood ones. Japanese adaptions are cheesy & Hollywood adaptions are just plain insulting. They all suck for different reasons.

Years from now when the comic book movies have completely dried up & they pounce on anime fans for their next payday, they'll start taking the material more seriously.

Picture a Chris Nolan Evangelion........... *faints*
Jun 28, 2011 2:08 AM
Jun 2011
i hope it dosent suck like many live action movies that came before
Jun 28, 2011 3:00 AM

Jan 2010
Warner bros dont have any fresh movies ?

always marvel & Anime movies >>
Jun 28, 2011 3:04 AM
Jun 2008
blu_d said:

Picture a Chris Nolan Evangelion........... *faints*

Actually I started having fun so I'm back with more.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Steven Speilberg
The Tatami Galaxy - Coen Brothers
Bokurano - Clint Eastwood
Code Geass - Ridley Scott
Moribito - Steven Spielberg
Gintama - Quentin Tarantino
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Robert Rodriguez

More Chris Nolan:
Death Note
Argento Soma

hmmm....Gintama & TTGL need more work.
Jun 28, 2011 3:05 AM

Aug 2008
A live action would be a little weird.
Not expecting anything big but I hope it works out well!
Jun 28, 2011 3:22 AM
Nov 2008
Not sure why everybody is surprised about this because this news is from august 2010.
Jun 28, 2011 6:26 AM
Oct 2007
Please don't suck and please, for the love of all that exists, use asian actors.
Jun 28, 2011 6:57 AM
Apr 2010
Hate to say it but this whole thread is filled with idiots. >.<
Jun 28, 2011 7:17 AM

Jul 2010
oh no not Takeru Satoh. I saw him play Koyuki in BECK live-action. he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is difficult for man to live completely without hope. In other words, man has no choice but to live with despair as his companion.
Jun 28, 2011 8:08 AM

May 2007
neonxmira said:
he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(

According to ANN: "Satoh began intensive training in sword-fighting earlier this month, and filming will begin in July."

So hopefully he will be okay in this role :) Moreover, Kenshin himself looks like a weakling, that's his speciality :D
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Jun 28, 2011 9:35 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting...
Jun 28, 2011 10:33 AM

Sep 2009
Fyndra said:
neonxmira said:
he doesn't look fitting for action roles and he looks like someone who never exercises. i'm worried about the action scenes. i'm a big fan of samurai movies and I don't want some weakling poster boy playing the role of a legendary ronin. :(

According to ANN: "Satoh began intensive training in sword-fighting earlier this month, and filming will begin in July."

So hopefully he will be okay in this role :) Moreover, Kenshin himself looks like a weakling, that's his speciality :D

Thats what I was going to say.
Kenshin may be a badass shouen hero...but.
Ninety five percent of the time he is a pasty shoujo boytoy who gets beat up by girls and children.

kindergraph said:

You expect people to read before bitching?
Madness man... pure madness.
Jun 28, 2011 10:38 AM

Oct 2007
Damonashu said:
katsup said:

Very white indeed

Well yes Kenshin is very white indeed. I know your point was to point out how stupid confucius and a lot of people in this thread are for not reading anything beyond "warner" but upon seeing Kenshin I couldn't resist saying it.

:) It's okay, It made made me giggle.

Hercule said:
Not sure why everybody is surprised about this because this news is from august 2010.

It's cause the news is pretty much to announce Sato Takeru is the lead, which also confirmed the rumors of a live action... but OP decided to focus more on the fact there will be a movie.
[tokyograph]
katsupJun 28, 2011 10:41 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

55 by Memore »»
4 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
48 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 4 hours ago

1 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.