Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2011 11:12 PM
Nov 2010
Before I begin, the warning. This is a discussion that covers the entire manga, up to the end. If you haven't read up to the ending, then do not read any further since this discussion will contain spoilers.

I put up a poll asking how do you want the anime to adapt the ending, or how should it end. The options are:

1. Animate only the first half prior, to the time skip.
2. Anime both before and after the time skip, and including the ending.
3. Anime both before and after the time skip, but change the ending
4. Other (explain).

Simple poll, vote away ^^

My choice, the first. I would like them to only animate before the time skip. I loved the relationship between Daikichi and little Rin; him having to learn the hardships of bringing up a child, but beauty behind it. His guardianship/father-daughter relationship was what made the first half shine. The story after that changed the point of view to Rin. The story became very different, it was mostly about Rin and her friends, just like a school manga. The relationship that I had liked in the first half was rarely seen. I mostly skimmed through that half.

The ending is a whole topic on its on. The relationship completely changed from the relationship between Daikichi and Rin in the first half. If you loved the prior relationship, the latter became a problem, and something hard to comprehend. Some like the twist, but I think the twist goes against the very essence of the first half. Its the choice of the mangaka, but I felt cheated.

Blue-galJun 26, 2011 12:52 AM
Jun 25, 2011 11:14 PM

Dec 2010
End before the time skip.

Incest ending is dumb and ruins the father/daughter relationship, and nobody gives a shit about some angsty teen and her love troubles.

Stay as a cute little girl and a man learning what it means to be a father.
Jun 27, 2011 7:34 AM

Sep 2008
I can honestly tell you that they will probably only animate the first half.
I base that on a couple of reasons:

1) There are only 11 episodes. There are not enough episodes to go through 9 entire volumes of the manga.

2) I checked the cast on the official site. It only lists one voice actress for Rin, and this voice actress is a little girl of only 10 years old. The fact that the official website doesn't list another voice actress for grown-up Rin hints that the second half of the manga WON'T BE ANIMATED. Same thing for Kouki.

It's unlikely that they will suddenly spring a surprise on us by animating the second half without announcing the names of the entire cast beforehand. (E.g. for Bakuman, Hiramaru made a few random cameo appearances in the first season but the animators didn't properly introduce him into the first season because there wasn't a seiyuu listed for Hiramaru yet.)

So I'm guessing that yeah, they will only animate the first half. Perhaps for the last 2 minutes of the last episode, they will show us a snapshot of everyone 10 years after and end the anime with that.

That's what I'm thinking but who knows what really may happen?
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Jun 28, 2011 6:51 PM

Oct 2009
Yeah, since 11 episodes isn't nearly enough to animate all the way to the ending, it's safe to say the anime won't be going past the time skip, which is a good thing.

The time skip just made the manga feel completely different. It's boring and not nearly as good as the first half. And then when I read the spoilers for the ending, I really had to wonder what the author was thinking spiraling her manga downhill so fast. I haven't finish it though so I'm trying to have a little faith she can salvage it in the 5 chapters that aren't scanlated yet...but I really doubt it.
Jun 30, 2011 7:09 PM
Nov 2010
Thanks for letting me know that its only 11 episodes. I am not certain if that will be enough to animate the first half properly, hope it is!
Jul 14, 2011 3:46 PM

May 2008
WOAH WTF???? do Daikichi and Rin get together in the end????????
Jul 14, 2011 4:07 PM
Jan 2010
I'm all for the 1st option. I adore the manga up until the time skip. After wards it wasn't as good but I could read it. The ending that I heard with Rin and Daikichi...fail. Do not like the sound of that at all. Completely different feel from the relationship I loved in the first half. So with 11 episodes I can feel safe that it's gonna stay with young Rin and lovely father Daikichi!
Oh, and to answer the above questions I hear that yes they do get together for some reason. -_-
Jul 16, 2011 4:24 PM
Nov 2010
Nabi123 said:
WOAH WTF???? do Daikichi and Rin get together in the end????????

I warned not to read the spoiler!^^;
If you aren't comfortable with that ending, don't read the manga beyond the time skip. The anime should be fine.
Jul 16, 2011 5:33 PM

Jul 2010
notsureifsrs said:

Incest ending is dumb and ruins the father/daughter relationship, and nobody gives a shit about some angsty teen and her love troubles.

Jul 17, 2011 8:17 AM

Apr 2010
notsureifsrs said:

I totally agree, but I just want to point out it's not incest because they aren't actually related.
Jul 19, 2011 6:32 AM

Jul 2008
peix said:
notsureifsrs said:

I totally agree, but I just want to point out it's not incest because they aren't actually related.
Unfortunately, we don't learn that until incredibly late in the game, making it seem like it came out of nowhere.

BEGINNER
Jul 20, 2011 1:08 AM

Nov 2010
hearing about this ending almost makes me want to drop it. One of the reasons I really liked this series because I didn't think I was going to spiral into something incestuous. All I wanted was a normal yet sweet father-daughter relationship, the mangaka didn't need to add a twist like that to make the end enjoyable.
Jul 21, 2011 3:05 AM

Nov 2007
Probably only the time she's still a kid, because even though I don't read manga, I saw the manga cover for the final volume with her being the highschooler (?) (older).
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 21, 2011 11:34 AM

Apr 2010
paperbomb said:
hearing about this ending almost makes me want to drop it. One of the reasons I really liked this series because I didn't think I was going to spiral into something incestuous. All I wanted was a normal yet sweet father-daughter relationship, the mangaka didn't need to add a twist like that to make the end enjoyable.

It's not incestuous. ><
Jul 21, 2011 4:10 PM

Mar 2009
Leave it to Japan to ruin something like this...
Jul 21, 2011 6:18 PM

Dec 2010
peix said:
paperbomb said:

It's not incestuous. ><
And that's another issue. The twist came the fuck out of nowhere, near the end of the manga.
Jul 27, 2011 2:03 PM

Sep 2010
I sincerely hope they don't try to cram in the time skip in a mere 11 episodes.
But dang, that was the worst second half of a manga I have ever read... :(
Jul 28, 2011 9:17 PM

Jun 2008
I have no problem with full story being told as it is in the manga. I think some animes get ruined by directors that no faith in the original creator's story and finding a need to make the story better in some way. I know some might say that is just "creative license". But, changing little things for story continuity is one thing, but changing the whole context of the story just because they didn't like some aspect of the story itself makes me wonder why they would chose to adapt the original story in the first place.
FifthAveSenseiJul 28, 2011 10:38 PM
Too Much ANIME......Not enough LIFETIME!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2011 11:05 PM

Jul 2010
it will finish before the time skip since its only 11 eps...
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Jul 30, 2011 7:14 PM

Mar 2008
zansabarshadow said:
it will finish before the time skip since its only 11 eps...

Please GOD, THIS!
Jul 31, 2011 5:38 AM

Jun 2008
rlime said:
I can honestly tell you that they will probably only animate the first half.
I base that on a couple of reasons:

1) There are only 11 episodes. There are not enough episodes to go through 9 entire volumes of the manga.

So far they went throught 5 chapters in 4 episodes. If they keep with this rate there is more than enough chapters for another season or two.

2) I checked the cast on the official site. It only lists one voice actress for Rin, and this voice actress is a little girl of only 10 years old. The fact that the official website doesn't list another voice actress for grown-up Rin hints that the second half of the manga WON'T BE ANIMATED. Same thing for Kouki.

It's unlikely that they will suddenly spring a surprise on us by animating the second half without announcing the names of the entire cast beforehand. (E.g. for Bakuman, Hiramaru made a few random cameo appearances in the first season but the animators didn't properly introduce him into the first season because there wasn't a seiyuu listed for Hiramaru yet.)

Maybe it's not planned at this point in time. As we've seen if the series is popular enough they will decide upon a second season. So I wouldn't have this lack of information be the end all to this series.

So I'm guessing that yeah, they will only animate the first half. Perhaps for the last 2 minutes of the last episode, they will show us a snapshot of everyone 10 years after and end the anime with that.

That's what I'm thinking but who knows what really may happen?

That would be the biggest cop-out for this series. Some may consider the last half boring, but I find it par for a slice-of-life. We get to see how everyone thinks and interact with each other, even if its 10 years later.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I hope for second season (maybe 12-13, or even 24 episodes) that will do the second half. It would a good thing to do. And for those who thought the ending came out of left field, there were hints about Rin's feelings towards Daikichi as far back as chapter 4 of the manga. It was foreshadowed.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 31, 2011 10:24 PM
Aug 2007
sbyrstall said:
And for those who thought the ending came out of left field, there were hints about Rin's feelings towards Daikichi as far back as chapter 4 of the manga. It was foreshadowed.
I honestly don't see how chapter 4 was foreshadowing of how Rin felt towards Daikichi. Worrying about him dying before her is something she was worried about because of grandpa dying.

The biggest thing I can read into her feelings towards him were the times when she acted like she was his mother/wife taking care of him and when she absolutely insists on Daikichi remaining as Daikichi and not being her father (doubly taken as her insisting on the one she saw as her father staying that way but can work as foreshadowing). The thing about them not being related wasn't too far out of left field for me. I didn't remember anything the grandpa left saying he was ever with Rin's mother that way and the way he spoke about her seemed more like "a scared young girl afraid of what to do because she's pregnant".

It's more like Wife Husbandry trope where it just takes into effect than we really seeing Rin tell herself (or anyone else) that she thought of it ending this way until the chapters it comes to a forefront.
Aug 6, 2011 1:03 PM
Jul 2011
I pray they avoid the timeskip. From what I've seen so far, the anime is good. I loved the first part of the UD manga, but I think the second part was just a bad move on the author's part. It isn't actually incest, considering that they aren't actually related by blood (but I guess by marriage...but I don't even think Rin's mom and Daikichi's grandpa got married).

As for them not being related, I have no problem with that. Their relationship can still be parental, even if they aren't actually related.

So yes, I pray they at least end the anime pre-time skip and maybe add the part of how Rin and Daikichi aren't related if they so please.
Aug 19, 2011 11:57 PM
Jun 2011
Even if it wasn't incest it is a 40 year old father figure person actually seriously considering romance with a 16 yo and not shutting it down the very moment it gets mentioned. Considering the rating its got here I'm really worried they are going to go ahead and make a second season with the time skip which is going to suck no matter how they change the storyline.

Rin handling her meeting her mother and the baby is the only decently handled thing in the second part.
Aug 20, 2011 4:30 PM

Jun 2008
Can't believe 13 people want them to animate the ending. Wow. Ew.

I voted to animate the second half but change the ending, since I want a DaikichixYukari ending D: /nevergonnahappen

I haven't read the manga, but I knew about the spoiler. Didn't know they weren't actually related, but knowing that just makes me more angry-it's a total cop-out AND it doesn't justify anything, there's still a disgustingly massive age gap and anyway, he's raised her like a father, so it might as well incest even if they're not blood related.

Anyone else get the feeling the mangaka was pressured into ending it like that...? It clearly wasn't planned, Daikichi and Rin act like nothing but father and daughter and at this point in the anime it SEEMS like they're leaning towards DaikichixYukari since she seems to like him back and with him becoming more like a father figure to Kouki as well...to suddenly just change all that...seems suspicious to me. :/

Plus I don't want to believe that someone who could write a story as wonderful as Usagi Drop would ever write something like that willingly.

Well, unless it gets a second series, it's not going to animate that far, no matter how it ends. Thank god.
Aug 28, 2011 7:11 PM
Jan 2010
I kind of already knew about Rin's real father since episode 5 of the anime (without even reading the manga). It was very predictable. As is most of the japanese mangas.
Aug 28, 2011 7:19 PM

Jun 2011
THEY GET TOGETHER AT THE END

Oh don't animate the time skip.
That would be the worse buzzkill in anime this year.
Aug 29, 2011 9:48 PM

Jun 2011
I personally feel the most likely path is that they'll have a little bit of tension near the end which is soon resolved, and there'll be a short section after the credits showing the timeskip. I personally have no qualms with the manga ending, and would actually prefer the anime to be true to the manga (tired of animes that completely cut short the manga stories). I don't like having two different stories when I compare anime and manga.

Realistically, though, they'll probably just end with a few scenes from the timeskip with little if any hints towards a relationship between Rin and Daikichi.

Oh, by the way, they're not related by blood. If you're against the relationship because of the age difference, just think about Jane Eyre ;)
GenomaxAug 29, 2011 9:57 PM
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13
Sep 6, 2011 9:19 PM

Sep 2009
I voted end before the time skip.
I haven't read the manga, but I have read spoilers.
I often read spoilers because I find it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story.
THIS is the exception. Totally affected my enjoyment. I still watch because it's a super cute story so far (I've watched through episode 9 at the time of this post). But I have to try to forget....

So yes. I do not like the manga ending. I know it's not incest. It's not even the age difference. As others have mentioned, it's the fact that he has been the father figure. Daikichi has acted like a father. Thought of Rin like a daughter. They do father/daughter things. He is raising her as he would his own child. The manga ending just gives me this squicky feeling. Ick.

Maybe it's worse because I'm a parent. Before I read the spoilers, when my husband and I would watch the anime together, we would think about how we could relate to Daikichi in certain situations. Not anymore....

I think it just ruins the parenting/family thing. You can say that the theme is "love," but to me, up til now, it has been a far more specific kind of love...one that does not have room for romantic love.
Sep 13, 2011 11:34 PM

May 2010
I hope they do some botched one episode ending coming post time skip and based off the manga, just cause it'll be funny to see the reactions of all the people who either read the manga and did the typical whining about how it went after the time skip and ended OR didn't read the manga, haven't spoiled themselves yet that there even is a time skip, and never see it coming, having the whole previous ten weeks thrown out the window cause they never thought something like that could happen with sweet little precious Rin and good guy Daikichi.
Sep 16, 2011 2:22 AM

Aug 2011
i really hate the manga ending
if the ever animated the time skip part, i dont think i will watch them
it just sweet when rin actually have feelings for kouki and suddenly the feelings gone just like that???
about the blood related thing you can guess that from the start
when daikichi said to give him 2 years to think about that give some hope that after that 2 years daikichi would say to rin "i really thought you only as a daughter, not more than that" or anything like that........
after i finish the manga i was thinking why did i ever read this manga!!!
only first part were good
plz dont animate 2nd part....

iSignature

"I specialize in reading manga but don't get how to draw manga at all" -Asaba Yuuki-
Sep 17, 2011 5:44 AM

Sep 2007
I couldn't help but scream "It's just too perfect!" every time Daikichi, Rin, Kouki and his mom were in a scene together. I have no problem whatsoever with the Manga ending, I just don't understand why the author didn't go with the obvious ending. In this case it was, as I said, just too perfect.
Jun 12, 2012 5:19 PM
Mar 2010
It wasn't incest because they aren't related by blood. I think they mentioned in the manga that Daikichi knew waaay back when he read the will that Gramps ADOPTED her therefore, not related. Also, if you didn't catch that then you are sick enough in the head to believe that a 70 year old dude knocked up a 20 year old girl.
Aug 11, 2012 5:52 AM
Mar 2008
peix said:
notsureifsrs said:

Except it is incest. Family is more than blood, the manga is AWFUL to go in that direction.
Aug 11, 2012 11:09 PM
Jul 2012
Hakuneii said:
peix said:
notsureifsrs said:

Except it is incest. Family is more than blood, the manga is AWFUL to go in that direction.

Except it isn't incest because they aren't related
Aug 16, 2012 12:08 PM
Jul 2012
They are a family, he's a father figure and she's the daughter (up until kouki spilled the bean), so yes, it is an incestuous relationship, even if it doesnt have the kind of health problem inbreeding would give to offsprings.

socially and psychologically it is still incest.
Aug 20, 2012 10:01 AM
Jul 2012
Drest said:
They are a family, he's a father figure and she's the daughter (up until kouki spilled the bean), so yes, it is an incestuous relationship, even if it doesnt have the kind of health problem inbreeding would give to offsprings.

Incest - Sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.

learn 2 dictionary, they aren't related therefore it isn't incest
Aug 20, 2012 10:05 AM

Aug 2012
JavierR said:
Drest said:

Incest - Sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.

You've got a point there. But Daikichi have been taking care of Rin since she was young. It's feels pretty fucked up to have them together despite of me having a fetish for sibling incest.
Aug 22, 2012 7:03 AM
Jul 2012
Necro-sama said:
JavierR said:
Drest said:

You've got a point there. But Daikichi have been taking care of Rin since she was young. It's feels pretty fucked up to have them together despite of me having a fetish for sibling incest.

I'm not saying it isn't weird, because I thought it was really fucked up, but technically it isn't incest. I personally thought he was going to get married to the other kids mom, she got married I knew things were going to take a turn for the weird. Besides at the end of the manga hes like 43 and shes 18, THAT is fucked up.
Jun 24, 2013 11:09 AM
Mar 2008
I consider family more than blood. If the person raising you as his daughter starts having sex with you, that's incredibly messed up
Jul 27, 2013 1:15 PM

Apr 2009
JavierR said:

I'm not saying it isn't weird, because I thought it was really fucked up, but technically it isn't incest. I personally thought he was going to get married to the other kids mom, she got married I knew things were going to take a turn for the weird. Besides at the end of the manga hes like 43 and shes 18, THAT is fucked up.

Yeah but the whole thing started cuz we are told that Grandpa slept with Rin's mom... so it's not like drastic age differences aren't the basis for the whole series.

Sep 1, 2013 4:12 PM

Mar 2011
I might sound like an idiot since I haven't read the manga, but from what I've gathered it still is quite possible for them to pull the same ending, they just need to change their approach towards it. I'd prefer if he went for Yukari instead though and they ended up as a happy family.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Oct 25, 2013 9:00 PM

Dec 2010
I wish there would be a season 2, except they change it completely. Daikichi should NOT be touching his all-but-in-name adopted daughter. Besides, there was amazing chemistry between him and that Nitani woman. I'd like to see a season 2 where they get together and the plot of the series would be about the family adapting to this.
Oct 18, 2018 9:53 PM

Oct 2018
Yep change the ending, make the time skip lead to her & Kouki playing matchmakers for their folks as they approach graduation. It would be so fitting for Rin to help Daikichi find someone when he became the parent she needed to defeat her own sadness/loneliness, and it would create a plot arc for the second half which could end with a graduation & wedding for their folks, and confirm her as the responsible surrogate sister she seemed to be for Kouki in the first half.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.